• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

12x24, 12x20 & Other Offbeat Stall Sizes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12x24, 12x20 & Other Offbeat Stall Sizes

I've been looking at a place to board and ride over the past few months and one particular place I have looked at (Encanto Valley Farm, if anyone in the area has feedback on them that would be great!) has 12x24 stalls. Another I saw had 12x20 stalls with individual cross-ties. I've also seen 9x18' stalls.

Could anyone give me the pros and cons to these stall sizes, and, if you have any, pictures of said stalls? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the concept. I'll be going out to see the barns myself in a couple weeks (busy week ahead of me) but any feedback or info in the meantime would be great.

If the barn was ever used for foaling, that may explain the larger stalls. 12x24 is a pretty typical size for a foaling stall.

I can't imagine too many cons to a larger stall, unless maybe the horse needs to be on stall rest and there's too much room for moving around. They would probably be especially nice for larger warmbloods or drafts. Also if the place has limited turnout for any reason, the larger stalls would probably be nice.
    Flickr

Comment

I have 2 10x18.5 in my barn. Not much cons about it. You use more shavings but horse has plenty of room to move around without mashing everything in.

Comment

Unless you are paying for bedding, those are pros in my book. I boarded at a TB breeding/racing farm and we got the old broodmare barn with 12 x 20 stalls--cushy! I'd make sure there was turn out, though, to make sure those stalls don't take the place of outside time.

Haven't heard any negatives about Encanto or Morgan Carr, but others from the area might chime in.
        Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

I was working at a barn that had standard 10x10s and then some double sized stalls. It did cost a bit more to bed the stalls initially but I didn't find it true that I always went through more bedding. If the horse was a pig or paced in the stall, yes, i would go through more bedding. But if it was a tidy, well behaved horse in the stall, I actually found that I went through less bedding as it wasn't gettin as much time under foot.

No real downside, IMO

Comment

Nothing wrong with a roomier stall
            "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

Comment

When we build our own barn, our stalls are going to be at least 12x16. Like someone else said, you may use more bedding to bed them down initially, but unless your horse is a total pig, you generally end up using LESS bedding on a regular basis. I've had horses in stalls from 8x8 up to 20x20 and in my opinion, the bigger the better. Although the 20x20 was maybe a bit unreasonably large.

Sheila

Comment

Originally posted by furlong47 View Post
                I can't imagine too many cons to a larger stall, unless maybe the horse needs to be on stall rest and there's too much room for moving around.
                Yeah, I have one 12x20 stall, and two 10x12 stalls, and when my younger mare was on stall rest, I had to use one of the smaller stalls because she could literally trot around in circles in the larger one. But most of the time, the extra space is nice to have.
                "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
                -Edward Hoagland

Comment

Bigger sounds like a "pro", can't think of any cons.

Comment

My reiner is boarded in a 12x20 stall (former broodmare barn). He loves his stall and so do I. No downsides that I can see.

Comment

You can bed half or three quarters of it if you need to save on bedding. Love bigger boxes.
                      Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

No cons to bigger... although if you have decent-sized horses, I prefer not to use anything with a dimension smaller than 10'. It seems like horses get cast more frequently in long, skinny stalls, no matter how ridiculously long the stall may be.
                        Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

12 x 24 is a standard size for pipe stalls. My stalls are all 12 x 24 or 24 x 24. I would never go back to anything smaller. I just bed the fronts, where everyone lies down, so that cost isn't significantly higher than for a 12 x 12.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, all.

My main concern with the longer stalls is I don't know how injury prone a dumb horse might be in them, but it seems like you guys haven't had an issue with it. My favorite stall size has been 14x16 but that's also the biggest I've ever experienced. I agree that 9' might be too narrow for a horse to fully turn around in.

Does anyone have any pictures of their horses in their stalls?

Comment

I have a 16.1 hand Paint in a 10 x 10 at a boarding barn, and he seems to have no issues (he does have a connected paddock), and my horses at home are in 12 x 12's--and the 17 hander seems to lie down and get up easily every night. He even sprawls out and snores. I prefer 12 x 12 or bigger, but 12 x 20 is almost more room than a horse needs, frankly. I think I have some shots of my horses at home in my webshots link below.
                              Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

We have a 12 x 24 that was built for a foaling stall but ended up for the most part just being used as a regular stall.

Wonderful stall if a horse could not be turned out for any reason, for putting two weanlings together, or just to give a horse more room.

It was also easier to clean as the horses would use one corner and then not walk all through it all day.

If I boarded I would love for my horse to be in a larger stall.

Comment

A 9x18 has more square feet (162 sf) than a 12x12 (144 sf) but if you had anything more than a pony or small horse I'd think it would be cramped turning or lying down across the short side. As for too much room during a lay-up in the bigger stalls, you could always use a corral panel or install metal channels across the 12x12 length and put in 2x6 or 2x8 boards to downsize it temporarily. If there's ever a need... Just a thought.
                                  It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

Comment

Horses LIKE more room. When you compare a stall to a horse's body size, and figure how many hours /day the horse is in there, it's AWFully restrictive. Not fun...

Comment

My boarded out mare, at 17h, had to be moved from her bigger stall to a regular sized one because she kept getting cast. Made quite a mess of herself 'til BO figured out the problem. Smaller stall, that she can still lay down in, equals no boo-boos!
                                      What you allow is what will continue.

Comment

Watching how horses get along in barns, those with open stalls where they can see others do better, except in stalls 12' x12' and smaller.
                                        We think that is because, even standing in the middle, they feel the horses on the other stalls are way too close, especially if one is a grump that makes faces and runs at them and especially at feeding time.
                                        The ones where those more shy/worrywart horses do better are 14' x 14' and bigger.

If the stalls partitions are solid, any size seems fine.

We have most boarding stables here with 12' x 12' stalls and 12' x 24' or longer runs off them.

There, they also tend to have more injuries and bent pens, horses just too close to each other, if bullys or bullied.

I made my stalls 14' x 14' and so the runs were 14' x 54'.
                                        Well, we still had a problem.
                                        A friend has 12' x 16' stalls with 16' wide runs and horses are much happier, enough room to get away from a neighbor running at them, without getting too close to the other neighbor, that may object to that also.

I changed my runs and now have 20' wide ones, is the way it turned out and is ok, since that is a quarantine and retiree barn, not really a working, younger horse barn.

The regular barn, once we are finished with it, will be 12' x 16' stalls, with the same size overhangs into 16' wide outside pens from each stall.

Our current 20' wide runs are really a bit overkill, not really necessary they be that wide, especially if you are short of space.

It is also important how you organize the flow of horses and workers in the whole barn.
                                        That may make the barn quiet and peaceful, or a wild show every time you have a horse or person moving around setting everyone off.

Horses need quiet and peace, to feel they are not going to be bothered and at the same time that they can watch and keep an eye on things, not be isolated to sounds and smells mostly.

It is hard to say how others should build and manage barns, it depends on so much else that will go on with those barns and the horses in there.

Every barn I have built or worked in, there were always some things that needed to be changed as what we did changed, to make it better.
                                        We learn as we go and see what works best.
                                        It is hard to tell someone else what the need to do, without being there to see what is going on.

Comment

Working...
                                        X