• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

4 board vs. 3 board for multiple species paddock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 board vs. 3 board for multiple species paddock

So we are going to do board fencing along the driveway and the side of the house, mainly because it looks nice. [And by God that is what is important! ] Approx. 250 linear feet. The rest will be 5 strands of coated wire. I was planning on doing 4 board, but a friend told me that was a pita here with high snowfall (any thoughts on this?). The lowest board will get buried and they step on it or something.

Fence height will be 3-6 inches shorter than five feet.

Throw in my desire to graze some sheep in the pasture to help with "mowing," but keep in mind I am planning on running hot wire down low (could be inbetween a gap if that's best) and along the top board.

3 board or 4 board? I will likely put up some type of woven wire in the back yard and it will double as a dog containment fence on the horse side. I'd rather not run the woven wire along the driveway though if I can avoid it.

One more question. I can buy a 2" x 6" x 16" board for a dollar more than a 1" x 6" x 16' board. Keeping in mind neither is really 1 or 2 inches in depth, I'm leaning towards the 2." Overkill? Thoughts?
    DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

We used 5/4 boards.... 1.25 inch thick ruff cut...treated popular which had some spring but they were strong enough to withstand most all.abuse

Just had the top rail as we used V-mesh to keep the dogs and kids (human) out

Comment

I would also suggest looking at rough cut lumber.

I think 4 board looks nicer, but it is A LOT of lumber.

3 board with the hot wire on top and at the bottom would work and still look good.

During the heavy snows, would the bottom wire ground out due to contact with the snow? I'm clueless on that one, but if you are in an area that consistently gets lots of snow it may be important to know if you electric would remain hot.

Comment

If you are planning to contain sheep, I'd recommend going with woven wire or some kind of wire mesh for perimeter fencing, basically something that forms an actual physical barrier. Three board fence plus a hot wire at the bottom will not reliably contain sheep. Four board fence plus a hot wire at the bottom will pretty reliably contain well fed adult ewes, but I'm not sure it would be reliable enough to be the only barrier between a sheep and the road or your neighbor's property. If you have three or four board fence with a wire at the bottom, when it snows and the sheep are standing on a foot or two of snow they might happily squeeze out through the first and second board or the second and third board.

Sheep are much easier to contain than goats and generally are very content to live in a contained area, but they are "well insulated" over most of their bodies, so electric fence needs to be HOT to work well, and occasionally a wily sheep can learn how to squeeze through electric barriers without getting much of a shock. Just like horses, some sheep respect electric fence perfectly their whole lives, but occasionally you'll get one that only respects it only as long as it suits them. If you are thinking of breeding sheep, small lambs or rams wishing to visit ewes need a physical barrier to be reliably contained. The other thing to consider is that sheep can be a little bit vulnerable to visiting predators/stray dogs. Your horses would probably provide some level of protection, but a perimeter fence that discourages predators is helpful.

FYI I rotate and co-graze sheep with horses and it really conditions the fields beautifully and cuts down on weed-eating and mowing. Sheep graze down the "roughs" that horses won't graze, love to nibble on interesting weeds, and their little cloven hooves don't crush grass shoots or dig up fields.
        www.plainfieldfarmky.com

Comment

I agree with 2foals, you need a mesh fence inside the boards to keep sheep in, stray or PET dogs OUT, since dogs are the worst of predators on sheep or just chasing the horses. All FUN to a dog! You may own a nice agressive dog chaser among your horses, but most horses won't do that for you, so mesh to keep the dogs out is very important. One low wire won't do it for dogs, even if wire is hot.

I would only do 3 boards with a mesh lining. Easier to trim under high boards, snow goes under higher boards, snow doesn't get caught near fences until you plow. Less paint or spray to keep the 3 boards looking nice. Set the fence BACK from the driveway, so you have room to put that plowed snow if you get quantities. 10-16ft shoulders on each side of drive is not unreasonable in deep snow areas. Check local snow records for the WORST it can be, so you are not surprised when depths of snow make MOUNTAINS when plowing the drive!

Your "midwest" location is not a clue for quantity. My mom measures her snow fall in feet, while we are 150 miles north of her, but almost never get that kind of snow depth. She lives in a snow hole to begin with just south of Kalamazoo, has Lake Effect add-ons!!

Comment

Originally posted by goodhors View Post
            Set the fence BACK from the driveway, so you have room to put that plowed snow if you get quantities. 10-16ft shoulders on each side of drive is not unreasonable in deep snow areas. Check local snow records for the WORST it can be, so you are not surprised when depths of snow make MOUNTAINS when plowing the drive!
            THIS. And, in fact, MORE than this. If you haven't installed your fence yet, you're in luck because there's still time to plan the most useful (or least awkward) location.

Before you install your fence, talk to your farmer neighbours about fence height, design, and setup, and find out about prevailing winter winds. Most people who put up pasture fences don't actually plan for them to become snow fences, but that's often how things work out. A three- or four-board fence that's parallel to a driveway may have to be installed VERY far from the drive (like 100' or so) if you don't want it to cause the snow to drop into the drive and create big drifts, especially if your driveway is at all below grade (ask me how I know this, sigh).

Here are links to two documents that are very helpful (talk to the neighbours anyway, though):

I'm in Illinois and find both of these useful - and so does my brother who lives in Wyoming.

http://www.dot.state.il.us/blr/l002.pdf

http://www.wrds.uwyo.edu/wrds/rmfres/rmfres.html

Good luck!
            Home page: www.jessicajahiel.com
            Horse-Sense newsletter: www.horse-sense.org

Comment

You can put cutoff switches on sections of your fencing. Put them on your lower strands so when snow is predicted you can cut off the electricity to the bottom strands.

Comment

• Original Poster

SE South Dakota. So not a huge snowfall. Can definitely have a few feet, although it has been less and less lately (we are in a drought).

Our driveway is completely wooded (i.e. in the north shelter belt), so I'm not worried about snow blow as much as ice. Also, the fenceline is probably 25-45 (angle) feet from the drive (yard and then a row of trees) The east line of the property is open pasture/highway.

I really want to do the fencing ourselves and I'm not sure I'm up to the task of correctly installing high-stretched woven wire. Ugh. I have done high tinsile before, but then you only have one stretch point at a time. I've seen videos on the woven mesh, but can people really DIY well? What about shod horses catching a shoe on the woven wire? Maybe we can't do the sheep. I'm picturing you are referring to the diamond mesh type...

The majority of our fencing will be coated wire (like White Lightening) and I thought the wood along the drive. I appreciate the comments and am leaning towards the three boards instead of four.

The VAST majority of fencing around me is barb wire for cattle or high tensile (non-coated) wire for horses. Like 99.9% Sheep are behind barb wire with a large square (usually with a low, sagging large square wire fence along the bottom).
                Last edited by TrotTrotPumpkn; Dec. 17, 2012, 12:36 PM.
                DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                X