• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Fencing for a run attached to a stall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fencing for a run attached to a stall

Hi, all. Our horses have free access to their open runs attached to their stalls. The runs are about 30' long and 12' wide. Right now we are just using panels that we buy from Tractor Supply. We also have metal poles cemented into the ground in between each panel to stabilize the panels more. But my gelding is the cribber from hell. He cribs through his cribbing collar... poop on the panels doesn't phase him, neither does hot sauce, no chew spray, pine sol, ivory soap, dish soap, anything that I could possibly think of. As a result of this he breaks one or two of his panels every couple months--and that is obviously really expensive. And it's really dangerous as well because metal parts will break and have sharp, jagged edges that he or his neighbor could get cut on.

So what is the best type of fencing for runs that will either hold up better to his awful cribbing or that will deter him from cribbing completely? I was thinking some kind of braided fencing or tape or something... but I also want it to hold up when the horses lean on it to groom each other or kick out at each other. Price is obviously important as well.
    Someone suggested we just put hot tape around the perimeter of his panels... but I feel like this would be bad if he was just spending some quality time with his buddies and accidentally got zapped.

Any suggestions that will hold up to horses in close proximity to each other and that won't be crazy expensive?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

IMO electric is the only thing that will keep him off the fencing. If he can touch it, he will crib on it.

You might try runing large PVC pipe at the top between the runs. If he can't get his mouth around it, he might stay off it.

Comment

• Original Poster

I wouldn't mind doing the electric, but I also don't want him to be unnecessarily punished if he was just leaning over to groom his friends or if he just accidentally bumped into it when turning around.

Do you have a picture of the PVC or somewhere you can send me so that I can see how it would work?

Comment

I'd just run 2X4's through pipe large enough to accomodate it and attach the 2X4' to the posts. Make sure the pipe covers the whole 2X4 (except where you attach it to the posts). Or you could run regular pipe throught the PVC pipe and attach it to the metal posts. I've never used metal posts, so I'm not familiar with how you attach rails to it. Sorry, but no pictures available!

Comment

NBChoice, I'd be sorely tempted to try one of the Barclay collars for your horse. One of the trainers we worked with at the track had a ton of success with them. If you would like to buy, email the guys in Australia for the info on their US distributor--I do not believe the info is on their website and shipping from Australia is terrible.

Comment

• Original Poster

Woo those are pricey! But probably cheaper than having to buy new panels every 4 months.

Comment

If you like the portability and flexibility of the panels I'd just look for a heavier gauge panel. I've never seen a cribber manage to bend a high quality panel with its teeth - the horse would be out teeth by then.

But of course hotwire to get the horse to stop wind sucking (assuming it won't next be destroying buckets and feeders) seems as if it would help the horse's health more.
              Originally posted by Silverbridge
              If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

I know that for pens we use the panels too, we had to completely encase one in plywood to stop the "circus pony" practicing that smashed the old one down to the ground, with all those broken tubes and sharp edges. That was labor intensive and it only went up four feet so you'd still have a spot to crib on.

Is he using any/all of the bars to crib? In that case how about switching to mesh fencing, or if you want panels how about a tall chain link panel?
                Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                Incredible Invisible

Comment

• Original Poster

He only uses the top bar and mostly just on two of the panels. Although sometimes he cribs on all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by NBChoice View Post
                    Woo those are pricey! But probably cheaper than having to buy new panels every 4 months.
                    Used collars pop up on eBay every now and then, for less money.

What I think is intriguing about them is that they don't have to be strangle-the-horse tight. They just have to be tight enough the the click switch gets activated when the horse cribs.

I did try to buy one from the people in Australia, but it was lost in transit. So definitely email them about their US distributor or buy on eBay. Here's a new one.

I can tell you that the trainer who recommended them to me had a few cribbers in his barn that Did. Not. Ever. seem to crib, even minus the collar. I managed to buy one of them (surprise!) but the way they were in the stall and the realization that this was the collar he used made me think that perhaps the horses do not have to wear the collar all the time to eliminate cribbing.

Comment

Originally posted by jherold View Post
                      IMO electric is the only thing that will keep him off the fencing. If he can touch it, he will crib on it.
                      Second this.
                      It'll take once of leaning over to groom his buddy to learn that he can't do that any more, but only once.

If you keep using something he can crib on, then he'll keep ruining his teeth.

Comment

Do the horses also get pasture time?

If so, I would let him do the socializing/grooming during pasture time and use electric fencing to keep him from cribbing when he is in the paddock.

Because paddocks are small and more of a chance for injury when playing, I don't want the horses to be able to reach each other. Whenever I get the funds to redo my paddocks, I'm doing fencing high enough so they can see but not touch each other.
                        http://thepitchforkchronicles.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Simkie- That's the problem with my guy--in order for him to stop cribbing I'd have to pretty much strangle him with the Dare collar that I have for him. It used to work on him, but he soon found out he could still crib with it. I got a hold of them and they gave me the U.S. distributor's name and e-mail address and number!

morganpony- I just feel bad that he won't be able to interact with his friends anymore then. Also, I would feel awful if one of the other two horses (who don't crib) leaned over to say hi to him and they got zapped for no reason at all. I know all of them would get over it and their life would move on, I'm just a softie I guess.

He gets turned out every day, but for a short period of time and he isn't turned out with anyone else. I've never had a problem with any of our horses being injured or rough housing in our set up. There may be an occasional bite or two, but nothing major that has ever resulted in an injury or me being worried for them. For the most part they get along, and those who don't aren't close to each other.

Comment

I had a cribber for many , many years. We just ran a hot wire at the cribbing height of his fence and problem solved. I never put a collar on him. Just make sure to keep the wire hot.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well I ordered the Barclay collar from the U.S. dealer. It shipped last Thursday or Friday and I'm still waiting. I'm very anxious to try it. If this does not work I will be getting an electric fence. I just hope the collar works.

Comment

Horses are smart when it comes to electric fences, they figure hot wire out quickly. No need for guilt. There is no good reason for them to be leaning on or touching the fence anyway. Run a strand of electric.

Comment

just a little bean wire will do it!
                                  with my drafts, there is a lot of butt rubbing and fences don't hold up w/o hot wire
                                  Pao Lin

Comment

• Original Poster

Lol, excuse my stupidity, but what the heck is bean wire?!

Here is a pic of how big our runs are:
                                    http://s1117.beta.photobucket.com/us...d6000.jpg.html

Like I said they are about 30' long and 12' wide. I guess I'm just nervous that he will touch the hot wire, fly back into the wire behind him and not know where to go because he just keeps hitting wire. I suppose the runs are pretty wide, they look really wide in the pic, but once you're inside it seems smaller.

Comment

At a previous barn, horses had runs like yours (12' wide) made of pipe panels. After enduring lots of fighting over the top, kicking and squealing, and ripped blankets, the BO finally added electric around the top. Peace! I was so glad as I was tired of dousing my horse's blanket with rap last to keep his neighbor from ripping it. The horses were just fine and didnt have an issue with it being too tight quartered. The wire was ran along the top so it didn't make the run any smaller. That guy used some homemade insulators (I think they were fiberglass posts cut off and attached somehow), but you can buy plastic insulators that snap onto the pipe -- I have some I use at home.

Comment

Originally posted by NBChoice View Post
                                        He gets turned out every day, but for a short period of time and he isn't turned out with anyone else. I've never had a problem with any of our horses being injured or rough housing in our set up. There may be an occasional bite or two, but nothing major that has ever resulted in an injury or me being worried for them. For the most part they get along, and those who don't aren't close to each other.
                                        Why not more big pasture turnout and why not with other horses so he can socialize appropriately?

Comment

Working...
                                        X