• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Space heater in tack rm: should I just throw in a molotov cocktail and be done w/it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space heater in tack rm: should I just throw in a molotov cocktail and be done w/it?

I've chummed up with a feral cat recently, and he's indicated that he'll probably be overwintering here at Dreadful Acres. I am the Hostess with the Mostess, so I thought I'd set him up with a little spa area in the tack room, maybe with a space heater to take the edge off on really cold days.

The question is, am I smoking crack? Is there such a thing as a space heater that won't get my farm in the paper under the headline "Tragic Barn Fire Claims Crone, Cat and Miscellaneous Ill-Fitting Tack"?
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

The ceramic space heaters are very safe... As long as you keep the dust & hair build-up vacuumed out of the air intake. Don't get anything that has radiant elements... More likely to get you into the news.
    Equus makus brokus but happy

Comment

What about something like a crate heating pad? They make them for puppies/kittens/oldsters, and it's just this flat, heated mat that you slip between blankets. It doesn't get hot, just warm....maybe less of a fire risk? They're meant to be on for hours.

Comment

The oil-filled heaters that resemble steam radiators from Honeymooners episodes are very safe, reliable and unlikely to create negative headlines in your local gossip-rag. Our tack room sports one for the pair of lazy felines of the orange variety. They do frequent quality control checks on its effectiveness.

Mr. CC and I provide one for our fat Corgi and his large wolfhound friend in the insulated, dog-bed filled "garage" that hasn't seen a car in 10 years during the chilly months. Oh, and they are quite economical, too, unlike space heaters.
        Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

I have a small thermastatically operated space heater for my tack room. I placed it on a wire shelf out of the kitties' reach. I set it for 65 degrees and low fan setting. It doesn't make it "toasty" warm in there, but keeps it comfortable enough for the kitties at night. It helps that my tack room is insulated and tight as well. I also plug it into a GFI receptacle (just in case). It will autoatically shut off if it is tipped over.
          "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

Comment

Since the baseboard heaters died in my house (replacement 125.00 a foot plus installation), I replaced them with a ceramic furnace and a couple of oil filled radiators. The radiators are wonderful things and while they do put out a lot of heat, they stay at a non-burning temperature, and they attract the cats as they can snuggle quite close to them. They also have a tip-over switch and pretty good temp regulation. They also don't draw a lot of juice
            Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Comment

I would consider one of those heated pads meant for critters. Even though I think the ceramic heaters are great, pretty safe, etc, I hate to borrow trouble with both hands--Murphy and I have a love/hate relationship.
              A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by GoForAGallop View Post
                What about something like a crate heating pad? They make them for puppies/kittens/oldsters, and it's just this flat, heated mat that you slip between blankets. It doesn't get hot, just warm....maybe less of a fire risk? They're meant to be on for hours.
                I know, right? It seems the ideal solution, so I looked at these online, but the ratings on Amazon gave me pause. A whole bunch reviewers said their mats -- and it didn't seem to matter which brand -- overheated to the point of melting. Which is why I'm now looking into the heater thing.

Why doesn't stuff just work?

But thanks a bundle, CoTHers, I'll check out some of these suggestions. The oil-filled radiator particularly appeals to me, because out of all the ways to describe it, CalvinCrowe chose charmingly to allude to the Honeymooners.
                Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

Comment

One must paint a picture when dealing with 13-14 year-old children, with whom I deal daily. They are woefully ignorant of the world, beyond the crapola on Youtube and Facebook. When one's news arrives via text, one cannot be expected to understand the finer nuances of daily life. Our Corgi, despite his generous girth and ample hair coat, enjoys his oil heater with much enthusiasm! He'll scootch as close to as possible (his padded back pressed up against it) and stay until he's panting. If he hasn't caught fire yet, I think your tack room is safe!
                  Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

If it were me, my barn wouldn't be worth the risk of a space heater catching fire for a feral cat.

Provide him with one of those round cat beds so he can hunker down for the night, and call it good.

Sounds harsh, but I wouldn't be able to sleep at night wth a space heater going in my tack room all night.
                    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Comment

The enlosed oil ones

That just plug in. They look like the old style radiators, are filled with some kind of oil, but completely enclosed, no flame and even my slightly drafty tack room with the cat door stays toasty warm.

I sit it on the cement floor in the middle of the room, plugged into a surge protector. The cats love it, one sits right next to it.

You can get them at any hardware store.

Comment

I agree with those who say not to trust any kind of traditional space heater in your barn. I like the ceramic heaters, but those too work on electricity, so I'd be uncomfortable leaving one in the barn.

My suggestion is the "Snuggle Safe" microwavable pet heater.

http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Supply-Imp...ef=cm_cmu_pg_t

We've used one of these and they do retain heat for many hours. They say 10 hours and while it may not be as hot after so many hours, it does stay warm for a long time. The only downside is that you have to microwave it every night (or 2X/day if you want to use it 24/7).

You can put it under a blanket or get one of the covers they have for it (it does get too hot initially to use without covering it). Put it in a little pet bed or basket and kitty can snuggle up on it and stay nice and comfy in the tack room and you don't have to worry about any fires.

Comment

DH got an oil filled radiator when they were remodeling and moved out to the shed. (it was a nice insulated shed). He said the electric was horrific.
                          We use a heat lamp or even a 100 watt incandescent for the chicks, in one of those clamp on fixtures. Knock on wood haven't burnt the place up yet.
                          Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                          Incredible Invisible

Comment

Everyone around here uses those cheap well house heaters sold in all places for over half a century in well houses and tack rooms and have not had any problems.
                            They last a few winters, then burn out and you put a new one there.
                            We always keep a spare around.
                            They look like this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-...1#.ULpMW45iFaU

I think the danger is if you have something fall on them, but maybe you can put them were that is not apt to happen?

Comment

Those microwave disks Claddagh mentioned really do work and last a long time. Of course, that means you have to have a microwave available. But they are safe and easy to use, so that would be my choice. But I'm not a cat person, not at all, so I'd never allow one in my tack room!

Comment

How about something like this? http://www.petco.com/product/105593/...And-Cover.aspx

Or this? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=8982
                                It warms without electricity. My bf's cat had one a long time ago and it really did warm up. Maybe put it in a nice little kitty house?
                                http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
                                The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
                                Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
                                Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Comment

A heater in a tack room is not a really good idea as it will accelerate the drying out process for any leather goods stored therein.

The oil-filled radiators and nice and reasonably safe. Unless, of course, the plug shorts out. If you're lucky the breaker will trip and all you'll have is a nasty, black mess on the socket faceplate. If you're not lucky you'll be on the front page of your local newspaper posing with the firefighters.

You're in the Texas Hill Country. If you were in UP of Michigan then some sort of heating device might be in order. But for a feral cat in Texas? I'd not bother.

G.

Former Resident of Houston and Corpus Christi
                                  Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

Originally posted by horsepoor View Post
                                    Those microwave disks Claddagh mentioned really do work and last a long time. Of course, that means you have to have a microwave available. But they are safe and easy to use, so that would be my choice. But I'm not a cat person, not at all, so I'd never allow one in my tack room!
                                    I second the microwave disks. They're safe, last forever and generate quite a bit of heat. I've used them for feral cats, old sick cats and when I've had to take a house cat out in the cold to visit the vet. Five minutes in the microwave equals approx. 8 hours of warmth. I put mine under a layer or two of towel or fleece blanket and the cats stay nice and toasty.

Really, with a little bit of heat, and shelter from wind and precipitation, the feral kitty will do just fine.

I wouldn't risk any kind of electrical or oil-type heater in the barn, but I'm very paranoid.

Comment

A hooded cat bed & a piece of fleece. Kitty can decide how far back to snuggle in for warmth. The fleece certainly makes it toastier & allows kitty to make their own bed comfy how they want it to be. Real easy to wash the removable piece of fleece too.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ooded+cat+bed#

A closed card board box with a nice kitty hole in it. A generous bunch of hay on the bottom, & then add the fleece would work a lot cheaper.

Lucky kitty.
                                      "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

Comment

Oil filled heater!!

I have used one of radiator-like oil filled heater in the tack room for several winters. I keep the place just above freezing, the cats are happy, the boarders less so.

But nothing freezes.
                                        Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

Working...
                                        X