• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Talk me In, talk me Out: Horsekeeping on Hawaii

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk me In, talk me Out: Horsekeeping on Hawaii

My brother is looking into relocating to Hawaii (Big Island) & has put a bug in my ear too.
    Gotta say the idea of adiosing Midwest Winter 4-Ever is attractive.

Looking at MLS I am seeing listings in Puna & Mountain View areas of 3ac or more for what seem to be reasonable prices.

BUT:
    *Are there restrictions to keeping horses on this amount of acreage?
    *What are the pluses or drawbacks to having horses at home in Hawaii?
    *Is there another part of the island more suited?
    *Explain "catchment water"
    *Where does hay come from & cost - ditto feed
    *Vets, farriers < hard to find or...
    *Etcetera - fill me in on all the poop, Good, Bad, Ugly et al
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

You need to pm the CoTHer Kryswyn, she lived in Hawaii. There are a couple others on here that lived there, hopefully they will chime in
    Originally posted by The Saddle
    Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

Comment

PM sent!

Comment

C'mon guys, you need to share about some of the stuff - my buddy had a place out in the country, courtesy of his wife, a native Hawai'in. I dimly recall that he couldn't own the land, only she could as a born and raised Hawaiin of Polynesian ancestry. That never stopped my family members from getting a condo, so I don't know if it was a tall tale or what.

Lava very close to the surface in places making the septic issue tough, no wells or city water so you need rainfall collection and a tank or cistern and every once in a great while an eruption will smother your place with lava. There are house-moving companies that will take your house to safety and a new lot (because a lot covered with new lava is not so useable).

It's lovely. And expensive.
        Last edited by ReSomething; Nov. 11, 2012, 06:21 PM.
        Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
        Incredible Invisible

Comment

Many basics, both for horses and people, are shipped over. Everyone I know with family in HI takes suitcases of food (cereal, other dry goods) whenever they visit as the "normal" HI prices are so high.

That said, and I've only visited, there seem to be a lot of horses around. I've seen them staked out on lines next to the road eating the grass. My horse would have killed himself in 5 minutes in that situation, but the local boyz were cool with it.

Comment

Last time I was in Hawaii I went riding, and I asked the stable about horse keeping.

I was told that the grass, while plentiful in some areas, is not very nutritious and you must feed hay year round--hay that comes in from the mainland on boats. All grain also comes in on boats. That makes it very expensive to own horses in Hawaii...

Comment

It used to be the land was commonly transferred by 99-year leases. After seeing that wonderful movie about the family needing to sell their ancestral land, the one with George Clooney, I'm wondering if now land can be sold, or what the deal is. Hope someone comes on and explains it. Maybe in that movie they were not going to sell it, but renew a lease. I thought they were going to sell it.

Also, some land has no well water or city water available and the common practice is to have a cistern with a roof designed to collect rainfall. I would think that could be an issue depending on the number of horses and the region. Some areas have a lot of rain and others not so much.
              "Random capitAlization really Makes my day." -- AndNirina

Comment

Some land and houses are able to be sold. The ones where you only own the house/condo are much cheaper, because the land is leased, and when the lease ends the owner can either renew the lease, or you have to leave and abandon the property, or move your property built on it. I think the land leasing option is 'lease hold' or something like that. It was on House Hunters a long time ago. The George Clooney situation in "The Descendants" was that it was long term owned family property and it had to be a joint decision by the property owners, who were descendants of the original owners.

And as people said before, there are lands that cannot be owned or sold by outsiders, but only by the natives of the island and their descendants. And I think there are areas that are still in dispute.

I know I need to go the House Hunters anonymous, but they recently had another Hawaii episode and some places need Tsunami insurance, and some need lava insurance.

And for expenses-any time you live where everything has to be shipped in, then you pay a lot. There's a reason that almost every ad about food or services says "Cost higher in Alaska and Hawaii", and nothing has a standard price equal to mainland prices.
                Last edited by JanM; Nov. 12, 2012, 10:19 AM.
                You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

Moneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoney and more money.
                  Bring suitcases full if you want to own a horse on an island.

I would be looking to hook up with a local barn for the duration to get my horse fix without needing a trust fund worthy of Ivanka Trump.

Comment

Some of the Military bases have barn co-ops and there are riding clubs with co-ops too. My cousin lived on the island for a while and leased a horse thru a friend on a co-op that had great trail access. You can do it but you may have to find a network of a club or co-op.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, the land issue sounds odd, but similar to Mexico's - all the MLS listings I saw did not mention a land lease, but maybe if it's common knowledge...
                      I'll be certain to ask any realtor about that issue!
                      Of course, since I'm in my 60s now, a 99yr lease would be A-OK for me

I was afraid the "ship everything in" might be a problem, but I feed hay year-round now.
                      What are feed prices? Anyone know for sure?

You can be sure I'd visit first - especially if my brother goes to his Plan A: rent for 6mos first.

Weather reports would be appreciated if anyone has been there in the "off-season" (is there one?).
                      Steppin' Out 1988-2004

Comment

My family member used to spend half the year in Waikoloa, on the Big Island. January through June. Loved the weather, which was temperate and breezy, pretty much all the time, with the occasional typhoon/hurricane. Tsunami are a real concern if you live close to the coast.
                        Golfed every day and had a little boat. OMG groceries were expensive. That was in the condo so there was quite a bit that they just didn't have to deal with in their Haole enclave. Getting workmen with a sense of urgency that satisfied her was a bit difficult.

My GF was half native Hawaiin and had some ugly stories to tell about growing up being half Haole in the '80's., that'd be on Oahu.

I remember reading an article a LONG time ago about paniolos on Maui. The native forage there was a kind of tree called a koa (?), can't recall much else.
                        Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                        Incredible Invisible

Comment

Just got back from Hawaii, the Big Island on 11/2. Stayed on the Kona side (lots of resorts/golf courses) of the island which is dry and lava filled, go up and over the other side, nice and green, cattle and horses, sheep, goats, that side gets lots of rain. Temp in the 80's everyday even at the end of October. I'm sure if you did a search about feed/hay in Hawaii you will find info., everything shipped in but they do have horse associations that you could probably contact for info on farriers/vets.

There "off season" as far as tourist go in our Spring and Fall, technically they have a "dry" and a "rainy" season, dry is April-October, rainy is November-March
                          Last edited by SPF10; Nov. 12, 2012, 11:57 AM. Reason: added info
                          "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

Comment

The person you want to show up to this thread is bornfreenowexpensive, who grew up on the Big Island and still has relatives that horse-keep on the Big Island. I'd shoot BFNE a PM and see if you can't coax her over here.

That said, I ditto what Lady Counselor said. If you plan to own a farmette in the Islands, plan to be made of money. Hay is at a premium, grain is expensive, parts of the Big Island aren't on the county water lines and therefore you'll need to rely on rain water to get enough water to support horses (aka "catchment water"), and land is at a premium so expect a lot of regulations about what you can and can't do on a particular plot of land. That said, the Big Island is beautiful and a wonderful place to ride. There's a rich cultural heritage of paniolos (Hawaiian-style cowboys) and pa'u riders (women who rode in the long gowns that missionaries insisted the Native Hawaiians start wearing in the 19th century, often over incredibly rough terrain and for long distances). Even today, it's a big honor to represent your island as a Pa'u Rider in the Kamehameha Day parades. For a fun distraction, search Google Images for "pa'u rider" and check out the opulent costumes.
                            Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

jn4jenny - good idea on the PM to BFNE

I understand offshore living can be pricy, but just like NYC - not everyone living there is a millionaire and most manage quite well in spite of that.
                              My standards are pretty adjustable .
                              We'll see......

ETA: Superminion - GAAAAH! New format is overlaying your latest PM with ADS!
                              The only part I could make out was about shipping.
                              If & when this ever came to pass, I would ONLY ship by air.
                              Was that $3K per horse? Or for a container?
                              I'll try again later, maybe the BB will have settled down as things seem to be changing by the hour.
                              Last edited by 2DogsFarm; Nov. 12, 2012, 02:21 PM.
                              Steppin' Out 1988-2004

Comment

I currently live, and keep my horses on, Oahu. The Big Island has a fair bit more land and grazing than Oahu and since I board I know nothing about the water situation but I can give some info about the basics. Boarding would be cheaper than keeping at home but folks do both.

Shipping a horse over here is $1300 by boat and roughly $3000 by plane. The plane is easier on the horses but they survive the boat just fine. That gets you to Oahu, shipping to other islands is by boat and is handled by a lovely woman here. She goes above and beyond to make sure the horses are treated well. Quarantine is 45 days, and doesn't have to be done at a state facility like cats and dogs. It just requires that the horse be kept 200 meters away from other horses OR be fly sprayed with an approved spray daily.

Hay comes from the mainland. Grass hay cost $35 for a 50 pound bale and $42 for a 100 pound bale. There are few options, you get what the feed store supplies, no shopping around. Most people feed cubes (dry) as they're less expensive and more compact. I pay $35 for a 50 pound bag for processed feed, and 40 pounds of rice bran ran me $40.

Feed for one horse costs me roughly $235 a month, board is $200, so no, you don't need to be rolling in money to keep a horse on the islands.

There are two vets on Oahu, so not many options for a second opinion. Not sure about the Big Island. There are more horses and cattle there than on Oahu. There are also a couple of farrier/trimmer options, 4 or 5.

The good is that it's riding weather year round. Sure it gets a little rainy in the winter but it's still 70 degrees. There is no EIA or rabies or strangles or most other common horse diseases. I vaccinate for rhino and that's about it. I love every minute of my time here on Hawaii. Any other questions?
                                For the horse color genetics junky

Comment

• Original Poster

Twisting - thanks!
                                  More info to add to the "file" - Yikes on the hay prices.
                                  I'd still like to hear from someone who keeps a farm on Hawaii, but your info was helpful.
                                  If I think of anything else, I'll PM
                                  Steppin' Out 1988-2004

Comment

At the risk of feeling like a creepy stalker, one of my favorite bloggers spent several years in Hawaii with horses:

http://jumping-percheron.blogspot.com/

If you go back to the earlier years posts (2008-2010), there is TONS of information about day in day out horse keeping in Hawaii.
                                    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

Blogs are there to be read.
                                      Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
                                      http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Comment

One person I know who keeps horses in Hawaii keeps her horses at a place where she has to "buy" the stall like a condo, and then pay a maintenance fee.

So if she sells her horse she then has to sell the stall too.

I thought that was the weirdest thing ever!
                                        The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                                        Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                                        Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                                        The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

Working...
                                        X