• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Talk me IN or OUT of this....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk me IN or OUT of this....

I have a 7 month old Alpine goat-total love who thinks I'm "Timmy" and she's "Lassie". Won't leave my side and he has the opportunity to just run away! Screams if I leave her side and stand even 10 feet away. I told my vet I'd like to get her a friend come spring (didn't want to care for another animal going into winter unless the right goat came along). Anyway I get a text from my vet yesterday saying "would you take a goat that was attacked by a pit bull and has a bum leg?" I immediately ask a hundred questions of which she didn't really have the answers to. Turns out the goat is a doe, dehorned, a Nubian (which is really what I wanted!), very friendly (pet zoo rescued her), but practically on 3 legs. Vet tells me the dog attacked the knee joint in the one leg so the goat doesn't use it but it doesn't cause any issues. I have he option to take the goat home and bring her back if it doesn't work out. I told the owner my main concern is that she gets along with my goat otherwise forget it!

My vet was going there last night to find out more details as I told her I also didn't want an animal that I was going to get attached to and have to put down shortly after or be endless vet bills. So I'm going to discuss it more with the vet today before I see her Saturday. I want to think with my head and not my heart.

So would you be a sucker and take her???? She's in no danger as she's in a petting zoo but the place is tired of the public constantly pointing out "they have a goat limping".
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

Enabling R Us

Of course, I've wanted a goat since I got my farmette 8 years ago...

I think it sounds like a Win-Win for you & your little doe.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed your little Alpine & the Nubian get along just fine.
    Names?
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

ooooooooooo............LOVE goats...........and yes, they will NEVER leave your side........you can go on long walks in the woods and never lose them, AND they can pack your lunch for you with no danger of running away with your meal!....lol....

i had a huge nubian wether.......... merriwether was his name..........and about 50 pygmies.......and a HUGE alpine,with horns so great and long,all he had to do to scratch his back was to tilt his head slightly and any itch was history.........it was amazing to see his awareness of his horn length...

as long as your current goat is a weather, there shouldn't be any problem introducing the 2.....they are herd animals, and love company..........it will also lessen the velcro effect on you, and keep them more quiet............
      i had a friend with a 3 legged goat, name of pegleg, and she was fine on 3 legs..........did all the running and jumping that everyone else did.

don't you just love the way their eyes go half closed and dreamy when you brush them, or scratch a favorite spot?.....enjoy!

Comment

If I was going to get one in the spring anyway, I'd definitely take this one Goats aren't that expensive to feed through the winter. Heck, my goats didn't cost anything to feed. Well, maybe a little hay, and they were big goats, but they did find through an Oregon winter on grasses and weeds. They were actually always too fat
        "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Comment

Get her!

Comment

goats are super fun pets as you know. go get her and if lassie tolerates her all will be well. but they choose their friends just as you and i do, they may not like each other at first or even ever!

Comment

I consider it a sign of kismet when an animal finds you instead of you actively searching for one.

Get her!
              http://thepitchforkchronicles.com

Comment

Originally posted by mkevent View Post
                I consider it a sign of kismet when an animal finds you instead of you actively searching for one.

Get her!
                Agreed. Please post pictures after you bring her home.
                DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

Does your goat have horns? The headbutting, if he gets aggressive could be a problem for the dehorned goat. That said, I have a full-size alpine type nanny with very long horns, and two pygmies with tiny little heads. When they play, the alpine nanny rears up like she's going to just slam the little ones into the next town, but then as she comes down for the headbutt, she just gently taps her horns on theirs. It's the sweetest thing ever.

There will almost always be an adjustment period where they'll be aggressive and and defend hay piles. IME it only takes a couple of days for things to settle. But, just like horses there are very dominant personalities (typically males) who will continue to beat up the others.
                  I had to send one away because of that. I had him since birth, and he was wethered within a couple days of birth, so I can't blame the behavior on hormones or some abusive past. He was actually the kid of my nanny, and they got along famously for the first 3 years. But as time went on, he got huge (he was half boer) and more and more aggressive. I noticed he started charging the poor old nanny for no reason. I was sad about it but I wasn't willing to build a whole new goat pen to isolate him, nor let her get sucker-punched like that.

Comment

I would take her, especially if the vet would take her back if it didn't work out with your other goat.
                    My blog: Crackerdog Farm

Comment

• Original Poster

My goat, Peaches, does have horns (or should I say stubs...?). She wears little dog kongs to prevent any accidents. Both goats would be does, so I shouldn't have to worry about male aggression. Assuming I don't find out any new startling information when I go see her, I feel I owe it a trial period. Maybe Peaches wouldn't be happy with company but I'd only know that by bringing home another goat.

As for names...I have to see if she has a decent name but I don't think so as everyone I speak to barely knows anything about her. If she stays, she needs a fruit name. I have two horses: Kiwi (OTTB) and Fig (mini); two cats: Mango and Raspberry (Blueberry passed away); and my current goat Peaches.

Now, what kind of story am I going to tell me family how this goat came home...?!?!?
                      Kristen

Comment

Her name will be Plum.

And you will tell the family she came knocking on your door because she heard Peaches was lonesome.

I have spoken.
                        *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                        Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                        Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                        Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwayu View Post
                          My goat, Peaches, does have horns (or should I say stubs...?). She wears little dog kongs to prevent any accidents. Both goats would be does, so I shouldn't have to worry about male aggression. Assuming I don't find out any new startling information when I go see her, I feel I owe it a trial period. Maybe Peaches wouldn't be happy with company but I'd only know that by bringing home another goat.

As for names...I have to see if she has a decent name but I don't think so as everyone I speak to barely knows anything about her. If she stays, she needs a fruit name. I have two horses: Kiwi (OTTB) and Fig (mini); two cats: Mango and Raspberry (Blueberry passed away); and my current goat Peaches.

Now, what kind of story am I going to tell me family how this goat came home...?!?!?
                          Just watch them carefully. If your new goat is only on 3 legs she won't be able to defend herself against attack from a jealous "herd boss" ( which your goat will be) I would suggest putting them side by side in pens so they can get to know each other. If she will always be 3 legged, just watch her other 3 legs for swelling/ stress. I have a doe who is often 3 legged due to arthritis. I give her 2 baby aspirin in a bit of grain and it helps.

Comment

Females can be very aggressive and will fight and butt heads just like the males.

Comment

Aw, and here I was hoping you could name her Tripod
                              Pictures are a must when you bring her home!

Comment

Originally posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
                                Her name will be Plum.

And you will tell the family she came knocking on your door because she heard Peaches was lonesome.

I have spoken.
                                That's great!

Anything but "watermelon."

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwayu View Post

Dog Kongs...the chew toys???Brilliant!!How do you keep them on?

Comment

• Original Poster

The tiny black dog kongs stay on very tight and I figured they were safe should one come off and the goat want to chew it. My vet told my I crazy glue them on so I did. She sad the glue is safe for animals.

How long should I keep them separated and when can I leave them together unattended? Can you tell Peaches is my first goat???
                                    Kristen

Comment

• Original Poster

For pictures, go on FB and likes page "Kiwayu Farm". I have pictures of the dog kongs and other pics of my critters.
                                      Kristen

Comment

But goats use the front of their horns to butt around, not the points, they use the points to scratch their back! LOL

I'd go get her. My goats have always loved to see more company and this one falls under the category of "I don't need her but she needs me". We had a 3 legged sheep for quite a few years and she was very healthy and even raised a few lambs.
                                        “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

Comment

Working...
                                        X