• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Any suggestions for my poor sick hen? #109 RIP Cindy Chickie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jingles for Cindy & JB ~ AO ~ AO ~ AO ~

Jingles & AO for Cindy & JB ~

JB ~ you have gone over and beyond !

Be kind to yourself ~ Cindy knows you are trying your best to help her ~

Thoughts and prayers and ((HUGS)) for this day ~ laced with some extra patience and energy ~

Jingles & AO ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

• Just saw this thread. Sending good thoughts and wishes for you and Cindy. Hoping you can get her right. She's a lucky gal to have you.
      "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Comment

• Originally posted by JB View Post
        Ugh, I just don't know what to do!!!!!

I was actually surprised Cindy was still alive this morning. She's no worse for all the invasion we did last night, though no better either.

jetsmom, thanks for that link, unfortunately there's nothing there we haven't already done, and done multiple times

I'm about ready to beg my small animal vet for help in slicing open that membrane to get the damn egg out. If it kills her, well, she's going to die if we can't get it out anyway

Thoughts on that? Precautions to take, knowing I don't really know what part that membrane actually belongs to?

Crackerdog, this has been far too long, sad to say, and it sucks that I didn't know to check to see if this was an egg bound situation in the beginning - thought it was parasites or a bug or something 2+ weeks now, I'm embarrassed to say
        Don't be embarrassed. Without the availability of a farm animal vet you have clearly done the best you can. If it were me, I think I would just have the hen put to sleep rather than having the small animal vet cutting things unless your vet can readily identify what membrane it is and where it belongs.

I hope things turn out for the best and I will thinking about you and your chicken.
        My blog: Crackerdog Farm

Comment

• Just wanted to say that I've taken several chickens to my dog/cat vet, who readily admits he remembers very little about avian medicine but is game to try something out of the box. He hauls out his vet manuals and we try to noodle it out. I'm always amazed at just how much he remembers, and he's successfully treated several very tricky conditions (meningitis being one). He's also euthanized several for me. He gasses them down and then injects their heart, this way they don't suffer.

Whatever happens, I have read this thread and I want to say that you are an incredibly good and decent person and have done right by your hen. I wish you the best of luck with her.

Comment

• Avian vet in Raleigh

Hi JB....just saw this whole discussion. I do know of an avian vet, Dr. Ginny Brown, at Dixie Trail Animal Clinic in Raleigh, (919) 781-5977. She specializes in birds. Perhaps you could give her a call. She is a wonderful person and perhaps could help in some way.

Comment

• I'd try one of the vets, JB... get someone with the right tools and practice and ideas in there. If you can't get a vet to help I would be pretty tempted to do as jetsmom suggested way back there-break it where it is, hope that things deflate enough to clean her out very carefully, and pump her full of ABX inside and out.

This summer one of my chickens was egg bound and I had no idea (I have a bunch of them) and one day when I was trying to catch her she jumped over the fence and out blooped the nastiest, green slimy wad of egg waste you ever saw. She had it in there all summer, finally passed it, and she's alive and doing well out in the chicken coop.

They can be pretty tough, you just never know.
              “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

Comment

• Oh dear, I had one this summer and she was a favorite. She was eggbound and the egg had been crushed somehow. I did the best I could getting the pieces out using a hemostat. In the end I lost her. I probably didn't get them all. Like you I was afraid of going too far with the probing. Ugh it was such a mess.

However I've learned much just reading this thread for if it ever happens again. I have felt your pain. It's so difficult when you have no professional help. I commend you for your efforts.

Comment

• Just looking in on you ~ ((hugs))

Just looking in on you ~ JB ~ ((HUGS))
                  Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm not sure this was a normal egg bound situation. Something was really in the way - not just an egg that was too big or too stuck. I really won't go into details of trying to get this thing out, but suffice to say, I think this was truly a surgical situation and we just couldn't handle it

I knew yesterday we were running out of time, if it wasn't already there, when she stopped eating her beloved apples and wouldn't even open her eyes at the enticement of freshly caught mealworms Still, we tried, and while we got some of that (%*@#@ egg out, it wasn't nearly enough, and not soon enough.

When I put her back in her crate last night, I gave her permission to go - she'd done more than enough for us.

I found her this morning having passed apparently very quietly, for which I was ever thankful.

Cindy and I, and Mr JB, thank you all for your help and support. This sucked. I can't help but think if I'd known what this was from Day 1 she'd still be with us, but... *shrug*

RIP Cindy Chickie, the bravest, strongest little hen ever. Ever.

Comment

• Sucks.

Comment

• I'm sorry you had to go through this, but Cindy had a good life. Had you taken her to the best avian vet and spent a fortune on day 1 -- zero guarantee of better outcome. Even had you successfully gotten her through this crisis; it sounds like something was structurally wrong inside of her; so then you're looking at invasive surgery / hysterectomey -- it can become endless; and in my opinion, too many times people end up putting an animal through all kinds of extaordinary stuff -- for the benefit of the human and at the animal's expense. I think you did a good job of doing your best to help Cindy as much as you could; and you both knew it was time. Again, I just want to say that in my experience with birds, they definitely know when their human loves them -- you can see them respond to that. Cindy knew that she was loved, and that's something very few chickens get to experience. And, you got to love a chicken; and that's something very few humans experience.

Hugs!
                        Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Comment

• I'm very, very sorry that Cindy didn't make it.
                          My blog: Crackerdog Farm

Comment

• Original Poster

Dangit ldaziens, you made me cry again!

The nerdy side of me really wanted to do a necropsy and see if we could see what was wrong. Not having dealt with a normal egg bound situation, of course we don't have anything to compare to, but honest to God I'm not sure this egg had a chance in hell of coming out on its own

We had 3 chicks born 2 weeks ago. 1 just...disappeared. 1 mysteriously died the day after. 1 is thriving. We thought we'd end up with 13+ chickens with the babies, but alas, I guess we're just meant to have 12!

What a learning experience. I now know what dosage of fenbendazole, ivermectin, AND tetracycline to give chickens

And yes, loving a "dumb chicken" and having her be quite alright with that is pretty damn cool. I *get* chicken people now

Comment

• Aw, I'm so sorry.
                              Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

• JB, so very sorry. I know how much I love my two, Lucy and Ethel. I lost another last year. Still bothers me, I tried everything too.

Best wishes.
                                www.Somermistfarm.com
                                Quality Hunter Ponies

Comment

• Oh, I'm so sorry. I gave up naming mine after a rash of predators took Seven and then Six and then the rest over a few months. They all had their different personalities and big combs or little combs or funny feathers and some were spooky while my favorites would fly up into my lap for a treat. Now they're all a bunch of white chickens but I still know my combs and my rusty feathered ones.
                                  I'm glad that she went peacefully at the end and you have my sympathy. They might just be big feather dusters but you get so attached, you know?
                                  Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                                  Incredible Invisible

Comment

• aw crap, JB I'm sorry. I've been checking and thinking about you and your chicka this whole time. Been asking all my egg people at work (I work at a feedstore) if they had any ideas for you but as far as I can tell you went above and beyond and there was nothing else you could have done. You did everything and more that every one of my customers and every website I read could recommend. No regrets, you did right by her.
                                    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

Comment

• JB, I have been following this thread, and was amazed at all you did for Cindy. I have chickens, and am ashamed to say, I know very little about them, and was impressed what you knew, but also what you attempted to do to save Cindy.
                                      You did good, and Cindy surely will be awaiting you.
                                      Godspeed~ and don't beat yourself up or what if...you gave it your all.
                                      save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Comment

• She was beautiful.

So sorry.
                                        "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Comment

• I am sorry your Cindy has flown over the rainbow bridge.

Very lovely lady she was.

Comment

Working...
                                          X