Sport Horse Spotlight

B&A Jump 1

Real Estate Spotlight

McLeanJanet_Front1
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

4 Star Trailer Owners

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Star Trailer Owners

I'm thinking of ordering a 4 Star. What options do you have (or wish you had) on your trailers that you would recommend. Anything to stay away from? Thanks!

I've had a 4 Star for a few years now, and LOVE it! And after talking to many different horsepeople, including horse transportation professionals, everyone agrees that it is the absolute best horse trailer out there.

From my experience, you can't have enough storage space in the dressing room. I have used all of the compartments for so many things, not only for the horses and riding equipment and tack, but trailer maintenance tools.

I have a slant load with a ramp, which makes it so much easier for loading and unloading. The ramp is surprisingly easy to put up, as it has really great springs. Some people veer away from getting a ramp because most are really heavy, and you need two people to lift it up. Definitely not the case with the 4 Star trailer - it's very easy to lift up.

I had lights installed outside the dressing room, and also by the ramp. It's really come in handy for loading at night, and I've used it more than I expected.

This isn't related to the trailer specifically, but I have a brake system separate from the truck. When the truck brakes, the trailer has its own brakes and doesn't lurch all that weight forward into the car. I hope this makes sense. But, it was a very smart buy and I'm happy I have it.

Comment

I loved my 4-star. I bought it with a friend, and when I moved away, she bought my half.

We had a screen door, left side. Extra vents. Exterior lights mounted above the dressing room and the rear ramp (makes parking in the dark much much easier, as it happens). It was a two horse straight load gooseneck with a ramp.

We had a water tank added under the gooseneck and fortiflex bucket hangers added at each tie point. Lots of extra hooks in the dressing room. 4 saddle racks. (Eventers!) 6' dressing room with carpet installed on the floor and on the shared wall to the horses.

We put our tie rings up high.

Extra insulation in the roof. We did the axle upgrade to 5200 lbs each.

4-star replaced our floor once under warranty, with excellent service and no hassle. After that, we sprang for line-x on the floor to protect it. I would do that again with any aluminum floor.

The Trail-et I have is nice too, but the 4 star was better. :-)

Enjoy your new trailer!
      If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Love, love LOVE my 4-Star! It's just a 2 horse but was designed to have extra space all over, in front of the horses and in the tack room.

The 4 options I could not live without are the wurm (sp??) pour-in flooring, drop-down windows, LED lighting and extra heavy-duty axles. This way if I got a flat, I could keep driving on it, there is some option where you can get an independent axle...? I would have to ask my mother who picked out our features but it gives us piece of mind!

Here is a photo...

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/22825...47214339wQlQdv
        http://community.webshots.com/user/greyhoundgal

Member of the OMFG I got banned clique

Comment

I'm on my 2nd 4-Star

First was a 2H straightload BP bought new in 1996.
          I had that for 13 years and now have a 2H slantload GN that is "vintage" 1997 but still in as good shape as when it was new.

Both my BP & the GN show no wear at all on the rubber padding and flooring, mechanicals work like new.

BP had a ramp which I hated - but maybe in the newer models they've made improvements as MissyA84's post suggests.
          GN is a step-up which I prefer as horses naturally lower their heads getting in.

I don't especially care for the slant - makes it tight for my 17h+ WB when he has to share the trailer.
          He has to go in the last slot and even then it's a snug fit.
          It has a fixed rear tack and that eats up space, so w/o that feature he'd have more room.

LOVE the DR - plenty of room for me to setup as a mini-LQ with a mattress in the GN.
          I have room for a folding chair and the tack hooks work to hold hangers (clothes) and a camping lantern.

Definitely go for lights inside the horse area and outside lights for night loading.

There are some pro haulers on here who have also recommended 4-Star as a good brand.
          *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
          Steppin' Out 1988-2004
          Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
          Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

While I haven’t actually seen mine yet, I will know more in a few days when it gets in. Ordered it June 19 and it was completed 9/12 at 4 Star, dealer had some problems finding a hauler is the reason why it is not here yet. Good folks at 4 Star did send me a picture however. 4 Star must be busy but they are on time as the 9/12 completion date was given to me in June and 4 Star hit it exactly. I don’t know if there is a shorter time frame this time of year or not.

However, after looking at most every trailer out there the 4 Star is worth the wait. They are just that much better in my opinion. In fairness I wasn't able to look at the Ebay or Jamco, which by all accounts are very nice trailers too, just no dealers in my area.

Mine is a slant 2h BP Custom with extended length especially in the horse area to accommodate an escape door in the front stall. Front stall is 44” and rear short wall stall is 56” and the long wall 104” so plenty of room for my Arabians. The escape door is extra wide; in the event of an emergency I could probably hop a horse out of it. I ordered the tall ramp over the full doors for extra protection and my safety while loading. Also I ordered the 40/60 rear doors with the double anti-rack hardware, per the recommendation of my dealer, so for most easy loading horses just opening the one right side door (60) will be all that is necessary even saddled. Mine will not have the rear tack as I don’t like them. I had a bulkhead door between the tack and horse area, for the occasional camping trip. I also went with the removable saddle rack. Mine has the drops on the head side and sliders on the rear with two sliders on the back doors. I’m not in a hot climate so didn’t think I needed the tail side drops. Due to the climate here I also didn’t order the fans either. A different climate might have changed my decision regarding the tail and rear drops and fans. I probably should have ordered some additional bridle hooks in the tack room and a clothing rod as I never seem to have enough of those. It comes standard with 10 racks, a blanket bar and two brush boxes. I did order the outside loading lights.

I am having a plastic high country corner water tank installed by the dealer when it gets here. 4 Star had a stainless water tank option that I didn’t order. I wanted the plastic that I could take out and clean with bleach when needed.

Mine is 7’ wide and 7’ tall and 13’ in length which is plenty for my Arabians. If I had a taller breed then I would have gone with extra height. I also didn't order the manger option as I don't like mangers. It comes with those portable mangers that I probably will never use as I hang the small hole nets for mine.

Comment

Check out Jamco trailers before you commit to 4 Star. We have had both and thought our 4 Star was the best thing ever until we got our Jamco, it makes the 4 Star look like a toy in comparison.

Comment

4 Star built our custom trailer to my specs over 20 years ago. Before 2+1 became popular, I designed a 2+1 in a 5H slant box. In slant mode..which we used only when we moved from NC to Ok, the stalls are 4'wide. Box is 8' high, 7' wide with a 5' DR with saddle, bridle racks and full all weather carpet on walls and floor. Full rear ramp and 4' ramp on the front right side so we can load like a 4H head to head and back into forward facing stalls. 4' pass door on left front of horse compartment. After 20 years it looks brand new and I wouldn't change ANYTHING!! Featherlight (our previous 4h head to head) quoted $15k more and didn't include wall mats on the sides. NO complaints about it at all. I love the floor plan. We foxhunt these days and I can walk a horse forward, tack up, then back into a stall and do the next horse...all inside. Highly recommend the trailers and people involved.
                www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the great ideas! I appreciate it. I have thought about the Jamco, but there is no dealer within reach for me to check out the trailers. Its nice to hear that all 4 star owners love their trailers. I'm upgrading from a Hawk, which I like, but doesn't compare to the tank-like 4 star!

Comment

Love mine!!

It has EVERYTHING, including every big drop down window, door and ramp you can get.

An oversized 2+1, dressing room, butt fans, all the lights, and I had them install the electric "jack" for the gooseneck (you want this, believe me!). Poured floors, which I adore, and it is fabulously well made.

Mine is enormous, you could haul three drafts in it if you wanted to.

The ramp is heavy, it comes up quite high when shut, but you can put "shims" in behind the springs to help (we have a local trailer repair place that does that) if you need it, I had that done on my last trailer, but then the ramp doesn't like to just lay flat on the ground, so it moves when the horse steps on it. I'll just grunt and strain with it for now, it's worth it.

I have the side ramp, also, which makes it nice as I'm usually by myself, much safer getting the horse off, stall doors, every option it comes with is on this trailer.

It was not cheap, but it is well worth the price, probably the last trailer I'll ever need.

If you can just clsoe your eyes and write the check, you will not regret it. I looked at every other trailer in the same price range (did not look at Pegasus, because they are out of the realm of possibility and I don't haul long distance)
                    and these were far superior.

Comment

I really like my 4-Star (2H Slant). I bought it straight off the lot, so no customization, but little things I would love to change:

- Add additional tie rings in each slot, so I don't have to hang my hay bags from the same ring as my ties.

- Different configuration for hanging feed bags. I don't use the feedbags often, but I HATE the slot setup. I get why it's designed that way and am not sure how I'd do it differently, but I'd figure something out.

- WERM floors instead of mats.

- WERM floor or mats in the dressing room instead of carpet.

- One of those little 2" folding step things under the first window. I'm short and it's a PITA to have to step on the bumper and then lean forward to do anything with that window (e.g. clipping/unclipping my horse's head). Plus a handle placed to make balancing easier while stepping up.

- Some sort of fold-down door-stop for the dressing room door. The door is configured weirdly, so it's very awkward to fasten open -- I have to climb over the hitch or go around the trailer.

I could do all of this aftermarket, but it would have been nice to have had from the beginning.
                      She Gets Lost

Comment

4 Star is also on Facebook and a recent post, dated Oct 3, 2012, was of interest, regarding a 4 Star which was hit by a Semi and most importantly the horse was fine, the trailer was messed up but was able to drive off and continue home, most definitely worth the read to anyone thinking of buying a trailer with safety for the horse in mind.
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/4-Sta...c/342727302056

The overall build (quality of welds, number of hinges on doors, rounded edges on everything in horse compartment) was what sold me on 4 Star in the first place.

I tend to stand in the back of a trailer and think of what if's if a horse does do something either from being stupid, a panic reaction, or other, and went down or over something. Traffic accidents are unpredictable and probably where you are hit has a lot to do with it. However, the 4 Star's seem to be really well thought out as to not having any accidents just begging to happen in the horse compartment. I looked at one (unnamed brand) and immediately saw something on the divider that I thought could cause a problem and after doing a Google search sure enough it had!

Comment

My horse seems to really like the drop down windows in the side doors of my new 4* straightload.

I had them do carpet on the walls of the DR and rubber mats on the floor, very happy with both.

I really like the tall ramp, it results in a very gentle ramp angle.

I had it built with long stalls and an extended horse head area. I wish I had thought to have them put another side window in. There is a long solid wall between the side window at the rear and the door window.

Think carefully about the location of tie rings, rings for hay nets etc.

I ordered a DR roof vent electric exhaust fan that they offer. When I first saw it I thought it was a joke, but it actually moves a lot of air.

Very happy with how solid and well built it is.

Comment

I don't own a 4Star but I routine drive 2 of them for work and have been halfway across the country and back as well as up and down the East Coast several times. One is a 4 horse head to head and the other is a 2+1. They pull great, have tons of space and are built to take a beating and then some. My one complaint is that they are HOT inside and we've had to have extra vents added to both.
                            Wouldst thou like the taste of butter ? A pretty dress? Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Comment

I am on 3rd 4-Star trailer. The 1st was a used 1980 4 horse, step up, bus windows(no ventilation)--but that was how they made them back then. 2nd 4-Star, when I was driving, had an 8ft side ramp, ramp over rear doors with a permanent rear tack. Traded in the 2nd 4-Star for my current 4-Star.
                              Current 4-Star is a modified 4 horse reverse/forward slant load. 1st stall, with a stallion partition, is my fake mid-tack(I store shavings, hay,...in it).
                              2nd stall has side entrance with a 4ft side ramp, can load stall 3 & 4 fom the side ramp. Or load all from the back in a traditional format. I also have ramp over rear doors with a collapsible rear tack so I can also take my lawnmower or gator to be serviced. I had the tack room made with a squared wall rathe than loosing space with a slant wall with the door on the drivers side.
                              The stall diagonal length is 10', width of stalls are 36" except for side ramp stall (48"). The trailer is 7'6" H X 7'6"W X 24'. Drop windows on head & tail.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X