• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What will kill foxtail?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will kill foxtail?

I am in SE VA, and I need to get rid of all the foxtail that has sprung up! I usually use pasture pro, but it is not labeled to kill foxtail. Other suggestions? Thanks!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fentre...24774504235082

http://fentressfieldsequestriancenter.com/
  • Original Poster

Anyone tried DuPont's Pastora?

Comment

Even though it's not listed as a controlled weed on the labels, I've periodically tried Pasture Pro, Grazonnext and 2-4D (all laced with Remedy, the next-best-thing to Roundup) with absolutely no success. I Googled it once and the best answer I could find was spraying with Roundup. It will kill everything that gets sprayed, of course, and you'll have to reseed the whole area. The only other possible suggestion I found was to use a pre-emergent next spring. *sigh* Hopefully someone else will chime in with some better ideas or suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by mpsbarnmanager View Post
        I am in SE VA, and I need to get rid of all the foxtail that has sprung up! I usually use pasture pro, but it is not labeled to kill foxtail. Other suggestions? Thanks!
        two years of grain crops.

Tamara
        Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
        I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Comment

http://www.weasa.wsu.edu/WRCAMeeting...%20Control.pdf

Kerb. If you don't follow the directions for spraying when the good grass is dormant, you will kill your pasture.
          Are you feeding your horse like a cow? www.safergrass.org

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Tamara in TN View Post
            two years of grain crops.

Tamara
            Like overseeding with winter rye?

Comment

Like overseeding with winter rye?
              no like killing everything that moves/grows in it for two straight years.

Tamara
              Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
              I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh, well, this is one of two of my large pastures, sadly don't have the ability to do that!

Comment

There was just an article from the Mississippi Extension service in our Delta Farm Press that talked about this. Their recommendation for foxtail, which is the most prevalent weed in Mississippi pastures, was a wick bar and Roundup.
                  http://deltafarmpress.com/livestock/...&sfvc4enews=42

You let the weeds grow higher than your grass and then run the wick bar with Roundup over the top. It also works for Johnson grass and most tall weeds. Best with bermuda grass pasture.
                  "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                  Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

I have had some areas of it in my pastures. Last year in the worst area I kept that patch mowed with a mower (not a bush hog like the rest of my pastures) that was set to cut very low and timed it so that the seedheads were cut before they had a chance to mature. I was actually surprised this year when the new crop of it came in at how effective the close mowing seemed to be.

Comment

Foxtail is a grass not a broad leaf weed. Nor does it fall into the weed category. It is a “pest” pasture/field grass of little nutritional value. Here in SE PA it only really shows itself in late August, September and is referred to as an unwanted fall grass. It is an annual, so it has to reseed itself each year. Forage grasses are perennials that grow back each year from established root systems and some types reseed themselves well enough.

The fact that Foxtail, and there are 3 types in this part of PA, is of the grass “family” using 2-4D which is a broad leaf herbicide will have little to no effect on it. It will however kill any clover that is in the field/pasture. They only way to try and control its spreading is by trying several management techniques to keep it from reseeding. As explained in this article none of which I have tried as of yet. http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/03101.html

Our hay fields were planted with Orchard, Timothy and some clover in 2005 having been converted from being used for tillage/crop use by the previous owners of the farm. So it was a “pure” stand seeded in prepared, cleared soil. Unfortunately due to several factor in the last couple of years, periods drought, the high cost of fertilizer, etc, the stand has thinned considerably in areas which allows for the “pest grasses” and weeds to move in.

As the article points out Foxtail and other “pest” can be controlled and or eliminated by not mowing the desired grasses below the recommended heights. Which does not allow enough light for emerging “pests” to establish and will die off. But this is only effective if the desired grasses are reasonably “thick” and well established. Given the fact that hay fields are cut several times a season this is not practical. Around here our second cutting sometimes 3rd is done in early to mid July. July to early August is usually hot and the driest part of the summer so the fields are most vulnerable. Each year more and more Foxtail has moved in diminishing the quality of our 4th cutting.

I have been told by those I respect and have read the only way to completely eradicate is a total kill using “ground clear” herbicide. And timing is everything if you plan on reseeding. Or take the section of the field/pasture out of grass/hay production and till crops for 2 years as Tamara posted. But I have been told that there is still a good chance of residual seeds taking hold. Like any pasture, field management the same rules apply. Do not over graze, fertilize and over seed to maintain a thick stand so as to crowd out or not offer opportunity. Easier said then done.

As I stated above there are several types of Foxtail each having their own characteristics though somewhat similar when it comes to their seed heads. But never the less all are grouped into one. None are by and large poisonous to horses. The seed heads are what cause problems. (for those who do not know what I mean please do the research) MAINLY those of the giant foxtail the operative word being giant. Which in our area is not nearly as prolific as it’s much smaller cousin. What I have found with the “small variety” is to cut or top as it called the seed bearing stems once they are higher then the surrounding grass. Yes, the seed heads are left in the field but I found when cut immature the seeds crumble quite easily. Unfortunately they grow back quite quickly so it has to be repeated until baled and or they give up. And they should not be allowed to “harden”. We have fed horses with a bit of this type of foxtail in the bales for years and have never had any problems. That’s not to say that there will be an exception. But I have found no reason to discard hay from parts of the field that has SOME foxtail in it. I would avoid hay that has the giant verity that seems to be more prevalent in more western regions.
                      Of course this is just my opinion based on my experience in this area of SE PA.
                      Last edited by gumtree; Oct. 2, 2012, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
                        There was just an article from the Mississippi Extension service in our Delta Farm Press that talked about this. Their recommendation for foxtail, which is the most prevalent weed in Mississippi pastures, was a wick bar and Roundup.
                        http://deltafarmpress.com/livestock/...&sfvc4enews=42

You let the weeds grow higher than your grass and then run the wick bar with Roundup over the top. It also works for Johnson grass and most tall weeds. Best with bermuda grass pasture.

Though this is an interesting and emerging method of applying a “ground clear” herbicide also generally referred to by the brand name Roundup it would only be useful on types of pest grasses that grow taller then the surrounding desired grass. Like Giant Foxtail. The predominate foxtail that we have to deal with in the Mid-Atlantic or at least in SE PA, Maryland and the parts of Northern Virginia that I am familiar with grows to about the same height as the orchard and or timothy in our hay fields along with the bluegrass in our pastures. Worth a try but most likely you will kill off a lot of the wanted grass also.

Comment

Anyone tried DuPont's Pastora?
                          This product is grass specific for Bermuda. Being located in SE VA that maybe your predominate pasture grass? But the label does not site Foxtail. So I doubt it would be effective. It would be best just to call your local county Ag extension agent and ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Watts View Post
                            http://www.weasa.wsu.edu/WRCAMeeting...%20Control.pdf

Kerb. If you don't follow the directions for spraying when the good grass is dormant, you will kill your pasture.
                            This article is “area specific” Colorado or the west in general. A bit different here in the east.

Comment

I'm here in Georgia and *poof* Foxtail has popped up overnight. I spoke with our extension office and some older farmers in our area to get ideas how to rid the pasture of Foxtail. Yeah, it's not fun.

First of all, I don't have the ability to mow and till Foxtail into the ground and then till again and prep and seed with a grass that will prevent Foxtail from coming back, and I sure as heck don't want to use an indiscriminant herbicide (see "RoundUp.") The above poster was correct: Foxtail is not a broadleaf weed so your common items Graze-On, Brushmaster, etc. won't kill Foxtail, but it will kill clover and some other growth in your pastures.

Also, if you plan on using RoundUp, etc. in your pasture area, then you have to use it when Foxtail is still an immature plant and under 5" or so in height (without having bloomed.)

The farmers in our area just suggested waiting until it dies off again, mowing the heck out of it. Mowing it again...and again....and again....to prevent it from coming up, and then in March use a pre-emergent weed killer to prevent it from coming up...and then mowing...mowing...mowing....and doing it all over again. Sounds fun, doesn't it? Another farmer mentioned doing what we did this year to our numerous thistle plants (thank you, former folks, who did not perform ANY pasture management!) Cutting off the seed heads, putting them in a plastic bag, discard the plastic bag OFF-SITE, and MOW. That would have been all well and good if it was a smaller area, but it's not.

Any other weed on our farm is pretty easy to manage (either manual removal or a 2-4D, Cambria mixture - Brushmaster,) but not Foxtail >
                              If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
                              DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
                              Originally posted by talkofthetown
                              As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Comment

I am in year 3 of mowing mowing mowing mowing and roundup Johnson Grass.

Foxtail just arrived.

What pre-emergents are suggested for horse pasture? I can keep them off it all spring summer but would still like recommendations.

Comment

You all really should look into Wick bars and RoundUp. You can have them made to any length you like, and they even come hand held.

If you can keep them off the pasture all spring and summer, MSMA is a possibility.
                                  "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                                  Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

Working...
                                  X