• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

UPDATE#4(last post)- Sad hens? SAW THE FOX THAT killed my chickens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPDATE#4(last post)- Sad hens? SAW THE FOX THAT killed my chickens

I came home to carnage yesterday.

Left my little freerange flock as usual around 9A, got home at 6P and they did not come running at the sound of my car,as is their habit, to mug me for treats.
    Just one hen in the backyard, and a huge pile of downy feathers - from the color I knew they belonged to the rooster.

I followed this trail and found his body, along with 2 of my hens - one my "pet" Houdan - in the bushes they like to hide under to get out of the sun or away from hawks (when rooster sounded the alarm).

All three had their necks broken and the rooster had been chewed (stomped?) on his back, no other sign of any fight or major wounds. One hen had a puncture on her breast, but not bloodied and she was a white hen (Delaware).
    It looked like the rooster put up a fight, but the hens seemed to have been attacked while they were hiding or just resting - no struggle apparent.

The four survivors were shaken, but came out of hiding and let me put them into their coop w/fenced yard.
    They will stay there today and maybe from now on.
    Saddest thing was the little white (mutt) hen who grew up with the rooster since I got them as day old chicks, flew onto the window sill and called. I just know she was looking for her pal & protector - the rooster.
    The most upset of the others was the Black Star who hung around with my Houdan.
    Noone can tell me these two were not grieving : (

If this was not an attack by a dog I'm afraid it could have been a human predator.
    If so, I hope the rooster got in some good licks before he died.
    What else would do this kind of killing and not drag away or eat the kill?

I am saddened and a little frightened someone would come onto my property, if indeed this was not done by an animal.
    Last edited by 2DogsFarm; Oct. 3, 2012, 07:56 AM.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

To me it sounds like a dog. Perhaps the owner found the dog and removed it before it could eat any or kill all of them.

Comment

Dog

My cousin had a Gordon retriever for a short time. He would "retrieve" her guinea hens, dead, with no marks on them. He never ate them, just brought them to her.

She rehomed the dog to a bird hunter. It wasn't fair to punish the dog for what had been a natural instinct, but wasn't fair to the birds to keep it.

Comment

So very sorry this happened. It is too bad but I think if you want to protect them you can't let them free range. What a shame.
        What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Comment

I lost my flock of 4 to a fox years ago...Our 9 year old daughter witnessed the carnage (she became a vegetarian that day and still is, 24 years later). That fox killed them all and left them strewn around the lawn. Next dawn, he came slinking back looking for them. Wretched thief.

Of COURSE they were grieving-why on earth shouldn't they? Poor things.....I'm sorry. It is so sad.

You don't really think a human could have/would have done this, do you? I'd call CSI........
          Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

I'm guessing dog too. I'm so sorry this happened to you and your chickies.
            You are what you dare.

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm starting to think dog too - since a dog will shake a bird's neck then drop the "toy" once it stops moving.
              My neighbors have dogs, but I've never seen them offleash.

I'll probably keep the hens in their fenced yard & let them out for some supervised playtime when I'm home.
              Too bad since they were doing a nice job on the piles in my pastures.

RiverBendPol:
              Your poor daughter!

I'm glad I did not witness their ends and that they were left for me to find - no matter how sad, at least I know.
              The rooster may have suffered some, but the hens most likely died quickly.

What made me think human was the way the hens were just laid out - necks skewed, not a mark on my pet and just one wound on the other hen.
              But if a wellfed dog killed for sport then it makes sense.
              I think they sadly chose a bad place to hide from the fight and wound up "sitting ducks"

Whatever it was is certainly wearing some battle wounds today - that rooster had some spurs on him!
              Steppin' Out 1988-2004

Comment

I'm so sorry you lost your chickens. When this has happened to me it seems it's always been my most favorites of the flock.
                I would guess a dog as well. But I have had foxes around too. The foxes will grab and then start tearing out feathers. They don't take the chicken far. I've been close by when it's happened and have followed the feather trail, yelling. I have been able to find the still alive hen and bring her back home.
                Dogs do it for sport. Once the chicken stops running and squawking, because it's dead, the dog loses interest and moves on to the next.
                I use to free range my birds but got tired providing living McNuggets to the predators. Mine are in a big pen closer to my house and I

Comment

This breaks my heart I vote dog too. How sad the chickens paid the price for what is probably someone's pet dog who got out or is always out and roaming. How sad you may well have to keep them in their coop for fear the dog will come back. If it's truly someone's dog who gets let out in the morning to do whatever, then he WILL come back.

Can you set up a large pen with electric bird fencing so they have more room?

Comment

I won't free range for this reason. Period. I am so sorry you lost your chickens

I've lost 3 over the last 9 years to hawks, so it might have been a hawk--that carnage sounds familiar.
                    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

I vote dog as well.

I had a young hen killed the other night by a skunk. I free-range my chickens, but make sure they are up at night. This one hen must have been moving around when I checked the chickens because I didn't see her out. The skunk caught her in the hay barn and I found her body not far from there, partially eaten. Judging by the smudged foot prints in blood and the slight smell, I'm assuming it was a skunk. I havent' had any trouble since then, but have still been checking to make sure everyone is up, added another light, and have let my GSDx out to urinate around the area. That tends to keep the predators at bay fairly well. Thanks to MistyBlue for the idea.
                      Rhode Islands are red;
                      North Hollands are blue.
                      Sorry my thoroughbreds
                      Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Comment

I would let your neighbor with the dogs know your chickens were attacked.

Maybe they know something or heard something.

Comment

Leaf again, sorry my mouse is having problems, and posted before I was finished. I lock my birds securely in the coop at night.
                          Wild predators are one thing, but I detest dog owners who allow their dogs to free range.

Comment

Originally posted by rmh_rider View Post
                            I would let your neighbor with the dogs know your chickens were attacked.

Maybe they know something or heard something.
                            Good idea, and at the same time, without being accusatory, you can plant it in everyone's head that if you find out who did it, you will be requesting reimbursement, and if you see the dog around your place again, they might not get it back. You can put that idea out there without making it sound like THEIR dog did it.

Comment

Coyotes?

Comment

I agree with Jan-it might be coyotes also, or feral dogs. It might be good to check with the neighbor with dogs, because if their dogs have been upset lately it might be about a roaming coyote or dog and their dogs might be barking more or reacting to some wandering animal.
                                You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

I second the skunk theory. I once lost the hens in my coop to a skunk. It was just like the carnage you described. It takes some doing to secure hen houses and yards from small vermin, but it can be done. Free range while home, keep them up while at work.

Comment

Do you have bears in you area?
                                    My friend got her whole flock decimated (save 2) in a similar fashion by a bear last year.
                                    "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

Comment

• Original Poster

OMG! No bears here!

I am in a waaaaay-too-civilized part of the countryside for any predator that large
                                      The McMansion sub-divisions have used up most of the forested land near me.
                                      Four - count 'em! - have gone up in ther 8 years since I moved here.
                                      TG, the neighbors nearby are all acreages too small to subdivide.

Would fox attack in daylight?
                                      And leave what they killed?
                                      If a fox thought it would come back later for takeout - HA!
                                      Bodies are waiting disposal in my garage now. Trash pickup is Friday.
                                      I would bury, but really, why?
                                      Even my sweet little Houdan is just feathers and flesh now.

We do have coyotes - saw one in my large pasture maybe 25' from the barn about a month ago.
                                      But do they hunt in daytime?
                                      And again: would they leave a - for the most part - untouched kill?

I do close up the coop at night.
                                      The flock puts themselves to bed as soon as the sun starts to set - lately around 7P.
                                      Coop is attached to a 20X30 fenced yard roofed with netting.
                                      Door from coop to yard is double-protected with hardware cloth and chicken wire behind that.
                                      The only window has a metal grate over it on the outside.
                                      Nothing - except rats - has gotten in there in the 3 years I've had them.

Neighbors all work like me, so nobody home to hear or see, but I will ask when I see them.
                                      The only stay-at-home has a tendency to spin tales, so I won't ask her.
                                      She is also the self-proclaimed overseer/caretaker of my place, so if she had heard anything you can bet she would have called by now.
                                      I will ask the neighbors with dogs if their dogs have been agitated lately, but they are very nice and I feel they would have told me if it was one of theirs.

As for reimbursement - I paid $21 for the first 5 as pullets 3 years ago. Then $4 for the 2 chicks 2 years ago.
                                      They were my pets, not my livelihood.
                                      Steppin' Out 1988-2004

Comment

I think a domestic dog kill would be messier than what you describe. And coyotes hunt whenever they get a chance, especially the suburban variety. If it was a coyote, then maybe it was interrupted after the kill before it could start dining.
                                        You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

Working...
                                        X