• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Septic run off field...pasture?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Septic run off field...pasture?

I would really like to bring my horse home, and I am looking around the property planning out where to put up pastures. One spot that seems really appealing is about an acre on the side of my house that has a ton of shade and is weed free. I could see the horse from almost every window in the house which has a a huge appeal to me. However, this area is my septic run off field, and I am guessing that is why its the only spot that didn't die in our drought. Is it safe to graze a horse on that?
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

Safe to graze on? Sure.

Safe for the field to be walked on by large psi hoofs? Not really.

Comment

In a word, no. As JB said, horses can eat it all the grass that grows there, but your septic field is not intended to be walked or driven on by heavy things. You might want to find out exactly how big the field really is, you may be able to use some of it. (there should be a map of where your tubes or whatever actually are, may be on file with your county).
      Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

Definitely & emphatically NO.

Sure there will be the usual group of people who will say they've been grazing their horses on their septic field for years & nothing has ever happened. Just like the non-helmet-wearing folk do.

But just take a drive down to your local health department & speak to folks in charge of zoning & inspecting septic fields, etc., & listen to their horror stories of allowing livestock on septic fields. Then see how you feel about it.

Comment

Probably depends a little bit on your soil type and mine is clay in spite of the alleged topsoil put in over the lateral field. Some of my lateral lines are in a paddock and my horses have been grazing over it for 18 years. However, it's only two horses, only in two week spurts, it's only a small part of the larger turnout area and they never go out on it after a rain.

P.S. I always wear a helmet.

Comment

LOL!!!!!

Comment

I've had a "drain field" under two day paddocks for years without issue.

What is the overburden on top of the drain field? If it's a good, hard clay they you should not have any issues. If it a softer soil then you'd probably best stay off it.

G.
              Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

Go price the replacement of your septic field and leach lines and then decide if you really want to consider it! When I bought my farm, the cost of a septic was about $20K. About 4 yrs ago a friend put one in for $35K. I know I can put $35K to better use.

Also, from what I gathered talking to the guys who do my work, you can't just dig up the old and put a new one in where the old one was, you need a new location and, of course, it can't be near your well.
                Sue

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Comment

We had our leech field inside a pasture, but horses were fenced out of it. (brighter green island fenced off- talk about grass being greener...)

From a soil & water management/septic perspective, bad news to let horse hooves chop it up.

Keep in mind that one acre looks pretty big right now, but it isn't that large from a pasture perspective. What a lot of ppl call a pasture is really a paddock. I don't like that most zoning laws do not consider this.

Here is info from U MN extension- scroll to "pasture size"

http://www.extension.org/pages/15643...-horse-pasture\

good luck!

Comment

• Original Poster

So I take that as a big fat no to that idea. I guess I didn't relies that the run off field was so fragile. Really too bad, would have been an awesome spot.
                    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
                    The Blog

Comment

Yup - take it as a big fat no. And count yourself lucky & intelligent enough to have asked about it first instead of going ahead & finding out the ugly later.

Comment

Well timely and annoying. We had our home inspection today and the septic drains into the only (albeit inappropriately) fenced paddock (about a 200 x 400 paddock--100 feet right smack dab in the middle) on the entire property. So disapointing. This really kills a huge area I was planning on using as a turnout. Super bummed!

Of course they have had big drafties running around on it, ironically. Although they are no longer pastured there.

Septic looked good though. *sigh*
                        DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Skyedragon View Post
                          So I take that as a big fat no to that idea. I guess I didn't relies that the run off field was so fragile. Really too bad, would have been an awesome spot.
                          With real estate it's always "location, location, and location."

If your drain field overburden is a good, hard clay then it's highly unlikely that you'll have a problem. If it's not then you may or may not have a problem.

Why not call an expert? For free. Call your County Extension Agent and ask them about soils in your area. They might even make a site visit for you and answer your questions after and ACTUAL inspection of the site vice opinions from folks who've never seen it.

G.

Comment

Surprisingly, the health dept person said go right ahead! when she inspected the new leach field. Herd has been on it; and in this drought it is not green... note may relate to size, use, and soil.

Comment

Wel, then, be prepared to spend a LOT of money in the not too distant future to replace that field. Start saving NOW.
                              All those who have stated 'no' are correct, no matter what your Health Dept. person has said (she's WRONG!!!)

<Putting on Lecture Cap>
                              Sorry Guilherme, but actually clay is worse to have under the field, as it prevents liquid (water, effluent, oil, etc) from draining downward and away and causes the liquid to drain horizontally or worse, upward thus "daylighting" at surface and causing a health hazard. And if a "drain field overburden is a good, hard clay" that's even worse, as it creates a sealing crust and blocks out almost all oxygen from the field so NO "cleaning" of the septic fluids occurs and all you end up with is raw sewage draining into the groundwater (may be just me, but YEUCCH!!)

It's been mentioned before, but I'll mention it again, my job is to design septic systems, so yes, I do have experience and proof to back up my claims

Comment

Originally posted by fanfayre View Post
                                Wel, then, be prepared to spend a LOT of money in the not too distant future to replace that field. Start saving NOW.
                                All those who have stated 'no' are correct, no matter what your Health Dept. person has said (she's WRONG!!!)

<Putting on Lecture Cap>
                                Sorry Guilherme, but actually clay is worse to have under the field, as it prevents liquid (water, effluent, oil, etc) from draining downward and away and causes the liquid to drain horizontally or worse, upward thus "daylighting" at surface and causing a health hazard. And if a "drain field overburden is a good, hard clay" that's even worse, as it creates a sealing crust and blocks out almost all oxygen from the field so NO "cleaning" of the septic fluids occurs and all you end up with is raw sewage draining into the groundwater (may be just me, but YEUCCH!!)
                                Health inspector is not a soil scientist. Go with this info.

Contaminating groundwater potentially contaminates nearby wells. So there is not only an expense issue here, but health issue, as well as conservation issue from a soil & water standpoint. Not a good stewardship practice.

as far as the clay goes, in case you don't believe fanfayre: "When clay content in soils exceeds 35% (heavy cl, heavy sicl, sic, or c textures), the soils are generally poorly suited for conventional septic systems because of slow permeability. "

http://web.extension.illinois.edu/se...stems/soil.cfm

Soil extension agents would give best advice here, as someone else mentioned. Your tax $ at work.

Comment

"in this drought it is not green" - might be time to check it then? We are super dry here, and it's SO easy to see where EVERYone's septic field is because that's the only thing that IS green.

Health inspectors don't know anything about the psi of a galloping horse. There's a reason pastures need to be aerated every now and then - horses walking and playing on them compacts the soil.

Comment

<Putting on Lecture Cap>

It's been mentioned before, but I'll mention it again, my job is to design septic systems, so yes, I do have experience and proof to back up my claims
                                    I said nothing about sub soil. I addressed overburden. Two separate issues, don't you know.

I don't install septic systems, but I've been a user for close to 40 years. In the present situation I have I run horses on top of systems, and have done so for almost 20 years, without incident. So, at least here, the sky is not falling.

G.

Comment

<Putting on Lecture Cap>

So can I get your input? What if you were hired to design a (new) drainage field that would accommodate livestock? Let's give an imaginary situation where the underlying soils are non-organic sandy gravel. I would think it would be possible to engineer something with sufficient depth of soil over the leach lines to protect those pipes and underlayment. Have you heard of this being done?
                                      "Random capitAlization really Makes my day." -- AndNirina

Comment

I thought that it was not " legal" to have runoff water coming out at ground level anymore? When a place that has that type of drain field is sold it must be upgraded. Pipes are way under ground and drain well below the topsoil.

We had a place for years that our cows were housed in where a portion of the drain field pipe went through their pasture. Cows are big and heavy too and do a fair mount of running when the mood hits. We also had no problems I guess because our soil was right and the pipe was buried deeper than some.

I would say it depends on the type of drain field you have and how deep the pipe is buried. I wouldn't want them walking over the septic or the pipes going from the house to the septic at all.

Comment

Working...
                                        X