• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

what the heck crapped in my hay barn?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what the heck crapped in my hay barn?

I am not an icky poo person by a LONG stretch, and I love all critters large and small, even (especially!) the spooky slimy ones. But today I was shocked out of my muck boots an am in need of CoTH wisdom and consolation.

After moving some haybales I had stacked on pallets, not two weeks ago, I picked up the wooden pallet to sweep up the chaff and found a quite disturbing turd.

This was no little cute lil' poopy... this was a great big Cleveland Steamer. Under a wooden pallet under 16 bales of hay on a tarp over gravel surface. The largest entry space in the pallet is approximately the size of a deck of cards.

It resembled a pile of differently sized tootsie rolls, not pellets, not soft-serve squiggle. It was a turd approximately the size a 15# dog would make, bigger than a cat's turd. It was a pile 'o poo. There was no nest, no carcass or critter remains near by, no signs of scratching or scuffling, no tunneling or digging signs.

I should have taken photos but I was so horrified and ticked off I picked up the pile (in my gloved hand) and tossed it into the woods. It was a full handful.

So who is the owner of this masterpiece? Cats bury theirs, no coon or dog is going to fit into the teeny space. Skunks have no reason to crawl into little spaces in a hay barn, do they? Other than mice and barn spiders and hayseeds, there is no 'food', its a stand alone portable garage I use for hay storage. I've been in there nearly daily rearranging, its not a forgotten space or particularly safe hide out.

A 6' black rat snake that has recently adopted me, affectionately named SnakeyPoo, she is friendly and fetching and has been on a mouse rampage, I am so happy to have her around. Though she nests in the other barn (and pays me a visit each morning during my coffee) I am hoping against hope this is her work. I must admit however, despite being large for her species and a full figured gal, I would be shocked to learn a snake could crap this large.

Please, someone tell me its not possum poo
    Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Did it look like this????????http://www.wildlife-removal.com/possumpoop.html

I'm now truly convinced that you can find anything on the internet.....lol
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Comment

It does indeed sound like possum pewp

Comment

Well, that's a bunch of sh!t.
        Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

Comment

Just to be really safe, you might want to burn those gloves, but I'd defintely stop using them.

Comment

Thank you. I'm dying! I guess I'm like a 12 year old with the poop and fart jokes, but I can't stop giggling. I woke my husband up. I needed a laugh.

Oh... and I'm guessing baby raccoon or poop-snake.
            Is there a raffle prize?
            You are what you dare.

Comment

Wait....what is an "icky poo person"? The image I have is a dark brown version of the marshmallow guy in Ghost Busters.

Comment

Around here pack rats make nests out of most anything, including piles of such stuff as you found, horse apples, dried weeds, hay stems, etc.

Maybe that pile was not dumped there, but left outside and something else moved it under there.

Comment

Hopefully not possum. EPM.

ICK

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by 2tempe View Post
                    Did it look like this????????http://www.wildlife-removal.com/possumpoop.html

I'm now truly convinced that you can find anything on the internet.....lol
                    Now why didn't *I* think of googling poop pictures

Sadly, yes, it did resemble the cluster of turds in the lower right hand corner on the first image on the page you shared... about the right size too... though not as spread out, these lincoln logs were stacked. Didn't have the doohickey twist of the upper ones. Author's comment "It tends to be more curly than straight." gives me a ray of hope.

eta: oh dear, I just googled snake poop, and while I found some pictures that resemble what I saw too, turns out python crap has value too bad its out of stock, its a possum deterrent
                    http://www.amazingamazon.com.au/snak...-for-sale.html

I should go wrangle up SnakeyPoo, she could eat my mice AND pay my board

Originally posted by JB View Post
                    It does indeed sound like possum pewp
                    *snort* pewp.

What would it be doing here though? There was no nest or attempt to build one. The turd looked at least 4 days old (and not greying like the possum poops above). I've moved these pallets and stacked this hay several times in the last 3 months. I'm continually in there sweeping and leaf blowing. I'm back and forth daily taking my carriage in and out. Even the mice have given up nesting there as there is just so much activity. What on earth would a possum want in a busy active hay barn with no food source nearby (unless they eat hayseeds too?), is this normal activity for them?

And don't they like to be up high? like attics and trees and hay lofts maybe? This is on the ground. Whoever left this candygram was sandwiched between the pallet and the earth (over tarp and gravel).

Originally posted by rizzodm View Post
                    Well, that's a bunch of sh!t.
                    OMG funny you say that After I got over the shock and horror (it was so unexpected, my jaw dropped slightly as I looked at the pile, then to the little holes in the pallet then back to the pile with that puzzled blank look confused dogs get "does not compute") I finally figured it had to be possum or snake and was so outraged at the idea of a possum hanging around that as I flung the feces I barked "what a bunch of S***!"

Originally posted by alicen View Post
                    Just to be really safe, you might want to burn those gloves, but I'd defintely stop using them.
                    Good point. I am very upset over the idea of a possum feeling the need to crap around my horses' food source. I did go scrub the spot on the tarp with lysol too. I thought I was being over the top but perhaps not.

Originally posted by GotGait View Post
                    Oh... and I'm guessing baby raccoon or poop-snake.
                    Is there a raffle prize?
                    Poop-snake?!? HRM SnakeyPoo would not take kindly to that And yes if you can figure this out I will gladly give you a prize But if it turns out to be possum poop don't expect a very nice prize

Originally posted by hundredacres View Post
                    Wait....what is an "icky poo person"? The image I have is a dark brown version of the marshmallow guy in Ghost Busters.
                    OMG thats gross, might give me a nightmare I meant I'm not one to get wound up over fecal matter ordinarily. Very few things shock or abhor me, I didn't want anyone to think I was complaining over your garden variety turd.

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                    Maybe that pile was not dumped there, but left outside and something else moved it under there.
                    Thats an interesting thought, but this was stuck to the tarp floor, so I'm assuming the muffins were baked fresh and hot right there.

Originally posted by Hippolyta View Post
                    Hopefully not possum. EPM.

ICK
                    I know As funny as poopy talk is, I really am upset by the idea of a possum going out of its way to take a shit where I store my horses' food.

Googling poop pictures, it could go either way between possum or snake. Snake I can buy more readily (though it would be really really huge for a snake), it could easily fit in the space, and since I already have a resident snake she could have just been hunting in that barn and took a nap under the pallet in the warm barn.

Possum is about the only other thing it could be though and I am not happy about that. And judging from poop pictures, it could go either way.

I'd be curious if anyone else has had experience with possums wanting to hang out around hay barns. If it has a real reason for wanting to be there then the likelyhood skyrockets.

Thanks so much everyone!
                    Last edited by buck22; Jul. 28, 2012, 08:14 AM. Reason: had to share my snake poop google find
                    Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

Wow, I NEVER knew snake poop looked like that! That explains some of the tootsie rolls I've seen around here!

Comment

FWIW...snake poop can be a pretty good sized turd, even from a native-sized snake. If Snakey-poo had a big meal, like a large rat, the turd might be dog-sized. Did you see any white or cream colored, once-liquid-now-crumbly stuff nearby? That would be urates, like the white part of bird crap...snake poo is sometimes accompanied by urates, though not always.

Given the description of the space the poo was in I would not think opossum. Opossums, for all their less-than-cuteness and EPM potential, are fastidious (unless they are very debilitated)...so, if it was using that place to hide, it would probably make every effort to poop elsewhere.

Interesting thread...are you keeping an eye out for more deposits in that area? Perhaps you could post some pics if you find more...?

Comment

I vote the snake too. If she is 6 feet long that's a pretty big snake and therefore big poo.

Comment

• Original Poster

No there wasn't any white chalky urates with the poo, but I am aware its not every time they go too.

Phew, thanks so much for the insight on opossum behavior, I agree this doesn't fit that pattern.

I guess she must have just had one enormous meal, perhaps a chipmunk (never have seen evidence of a rat).

I don't particularly think SnakeyPoo is *that* huge, but everyone who sees her tends to think she's enormous, she is on the big side for her species. Everyone tells me she's easily 6', but I think she's closer to 5'.

Sunning herself

Off for the morning hunt
                            A clever huntress

Now that I think about it, about a month ago the place was crawling with smaller snakes, all following her around, I assume a bunch of male suitors. She was probably eating so aggressively so she could lay her clutch..... which would make a large meal, and large poo likely.

I just had no idea snakes could crap this large.

Thank you!! and yes I will be keeping an eye on the location, though it is filling in with hay for 2012 so pallets going down now won't be moved until next year. But if I do find such a prize in my crackerjacks again I'll definitely be taking photos! thank you!!!!

Comment

Nice pic of the lady sunning herself but you might want to keep your distance, that looked a whole lot like poison ivy she was sunning herself in.

FWIW a number of years ago I met a black snake laying her eggs in my manure pile. I removed them and hatched them out in a bucket rather than destroy them when we turned the pile
                              I wasn't always a Smurf
                              Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
                              "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                              The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

That certainly is one handsome snake!!

Comment

She is rather large, and she could easily have made dog-sized poop.

Comment

Oh, she's beautiful! And so lucky to have found an appreciative soul to share her space with. I know far too many barn owners who deliver a swift death to anything that slithers. I LOVE black snakes! We have many resident snakes here, but my favorite is the local giant black snake that keeps all varieties of rodentia out of our outbuildings. I tell her every time I see her just how much her vigilance is appreciated!
                                    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
                                    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

Comment

Snakey-poo is gorgeous! She is, indeed, very lucky to have found your place to call home! Hopefully the poo was her calling card to keep the rodents out and stake her claim to your hay barn!

Comment

Is this a horse related thread? The mods just might shut it down!!!
                                        Taking it day by day!

Comment

Working...
                                        X