• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Bermuda hay field into pasture?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bermuda hay field into pasture?

What is the work involved in turning a working bermuda hay field into pasture for turn-out? I don't know a lot about hay fields vs pasture so any info would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!

(BTW, read thread on turning alf. hay field to pasture)
    The Mighty Thoroughbred Clique
    Freaky Farm Hermit Clique

Fence it off? Unless it is some strange variety of bermuda I don't know about, bermuda is perfectly acceptable pasture grass. My front pasture are bahia but my back pasture is a mix of bahia and bermuda.

Comment

Originally posted by sirena_chaucer View Post
      What is the work involved in turning a working bermuda hay field into pasture for turn-out?
      Build a fence around it. Done.

Did you have some specific concerns about it?

--
      Wendy
      --
      Wendy
      ... and Patrick

Comment

• Original Poster

I guess my concern was that it was straight bermuda and had been used multiple years for hay...it isn't important to put some mix seed on it, the bermuda won't be too rich? What does baling vs grazing do to the ground?

Comment

If bermuda isn't too rich for them to eat, it isn't too rich for them to eat. No matter how they get at it. In my humble opinion.
          My warmbloods have actually drunk mulled wine in the past. Not today though. A drunk warmblood is a surly warmblood. - WildandWickedWarmbloods

Comment

Originally posted by sirena_chaucer View Post
            I guess my concern was that it was straight bermuda and had been used multiple years for hay...it isn't important to put some mix seed on it, the bermuda won't be too rich? What does baling vs grazing do to the ground?
            Depending on where you are, you may want to overseed with a cool season forage to ensure an adequate pasture year round. Bermuda does VERY well being grazed, but again, depending on location it may not grow at an adequate rate all year.

Any pasture can be too rich at times for certain horses, but in general bermuda should be fine. Just make sure to ease the horse(s) onto pasture if they aren't used to it, as you would in any pasture situation.
            It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
            Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Where are you located?

If you overseed with rye grass in the fall, ryegrass will will continue to grow until it gets to hot in the late spring. The height of the rye grass will prevent to bermuda from growing and establishing itself in the spring after being dormant for thw winter. You will need to cut the ryegrass down or make ryegrass hay to allow the bermuda to have sunlight.
              In my opinion, I would not overseed a well established bermuda hayfield/pasture. But that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by jcotton View Post
                Where are you located?

If you overseed with rye grass in the fall, ryegrass will will continue to grow until it gets to hot in the late spring. The height of the rye grass will prevent to bermuda from growing and establishing itself in the spring after being dormant for thw winter. You will need to cut the ryegrass down or make ryegrass hay to allow the bermuda to have sunlight.
                In my opinion, I would not overseed a well established bermuda hayfield/pasture. But that's just me.
                You make a good point. The rye will overtake the bermuda in the spring if its not mowed. I simply mentioned overseeding because not knowing where the OP is, how big the pasture is, how many animals may be grazed on it, etc.; overseeding may be necessary. Depending on location there are other options besides annual rye.

OP- if you give us your location we could probably give better advice.
                It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
                Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Fence it and then take horses back off if they start grazing it below 2-3 inches. Bermuda is very grazing/traffic tolerant so it will be fine. Some other grasses don't do as well so they might not do double duty as pastures quite as easily.
                  "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Comment

How big is this hay field?
                    How many horses are going to put in the hay field?

You could keep it as a hay field and still let the horses graze it before and in between cuttings, as long as you as don't have too many.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone! This is GREAT info. So appreciated.

It's in eastern South Carolina and would not do double duty for a hay field AND pasture, only pasture.

It's about 35 or 40 acres. I was wondering whether it would be too rich or if it would tolerate grazing year round without ruining the pasture-whether it needed to be overseeded with some other grass. I was thinking of creating 3 pastures, and putting 6-8 horses on night turnout 5pm-8am on 1 of the pastures, leaving the other 2 to rest. Rotate as needed. That is our year round schedule and I'm considering moving the horses to this new location, but was concerned about putting the current herd on one single pasture that big and that well maintained. Also wanted to give myself the option for more horses in different herds/different turn out options.

Sound like too much for the pasture?? I am really concerned about maintaining the pasture b/c it looks so nice right now, I don't want it mismanaged!

Btw, what is the ideal rest period for medium-to-heavily grazed fescue pasture?

Comment

Do you use this hay field for hay? Or do you purchase your hay?

Comment

• Original Poster

Like I said, it won't do double duty as hay field and pasture. It will just be pasture. I purchase hay.

TIA!

Comment

The best way to ensure you don't hit the pasture(s) too hard is to calculate average annual production per acre, calculate daily intake of your horses (usually by finding an average per 1000 lb horse, then totalling your horses' weights and figuring accordingly) and see how they differ. You could call your Extension agent to figure that out.

Like this:

Annual production per acre x acres = How much you have

Annual intake by horses = How much you need

Grazing primarily influences pastures based on three things:
                            Density (animals per unit of space)
                            Timing (is it the growing season? Bermuda grass is a C4 or warm season grass)
                            Duration (how long are they there)

Handy calculator: http://www.range.colostate.edu/calculators.shtml

Of course, if you really want to improve your pasture health and local ecosystem, you can begin transitioning from your non-native grass to a more diverse array of native warm and cool season grasses like gamagrass, big and little bluestem, purpletop, virginia wildrye, wavy hairgrass, and so on. Great for wildlife and year-round forage, when done properly.
                            My website

Comment

Don’t know much about Bermuda hay or grass. But the only difference between my timothy/orchard hay fields and my pastures is how often I mow it and fence.

Comment

Originally posted by QacarXan View Post
                                The best way to ensure you don't hit the pasture(s) too hard is to calculate average annual production per acre, calculate daily intake of your horses (usually by finding an average per 1000 lb horse, then totalling your horses' weights and figuring accordingly) and see how they differ. You could call your Extension agent to figure that out.

Like this:

Of course, if you really want to improve your pasture health and local ecosystem, you can begin transitioning from your non-native grass to a more diverse array of native warm and cool season grasses like gamagrass, big and little bluestem, purpletop, virginia wildrye, wavy hairgrass, and so on. Great for wildlife and year-round forage, when done properly.
                                Not trying to be snarky or condescending but you must be an Ag student. As Rodney Dangerfield said in Back to School to his professor, loosely translated; It doesn’t work that way in the real world of horses. Nor is it necessary. What you posted is correct “by the book” and in an ideal situation. But most of us have to work with, what we have to work with. Just mow it, fence it. And maintain it to the best of your practical ability. If you have to put too many horses on it so be it. Throw hay to make up for the lack of grass. We all would like to live on the ideal farm but that’s very expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by gumtree View Post
                                  Not trying to be snarky or condescending but you must be an Ag student. As Rodney Dangerfield said in Back to School to his professor, loosely translated; It doesn’t work that way in the real world of horses. Nor is it necessary. What you posted is correct “by the book” and in an ideal situation. But most of us have to work with, what we have to work with. Just mow it, fence it. And maintain it to the best of your practical ability. If you have to put too many horses on it so be it. Throw hay to make up for the lack of grass. We all would like to live on the ideal farm but that’s very expensive.
                                  I'd appreciate hearing which parts wouldn't work for you and why. There's no one-size-fits-all approach to farms or ranches of course, but by and large having a numerical idea of what you're working with is pretty easy and provides some idea of carrying capacity.

Or was it the native grass part? It definitely is more work, no question, to restore an ecosystem. Trashing one is pretty easy though. One just has to throw too many horses in and hope for the best. I measured the productivity of just such a pasture in Soapstone Prairie, Colorado. It's had no horses for 4 years after decades of overgrazing, and it still hasn't recovered its productivity even slightly, thanks to the overgraze-it-and-hope-for-the-best approach the previous owners had. Luckily, pastures where the OP is are a bit harder to damage as severely.

As for my background, the above advice and training I got from a multiple generation rancher, former Extension agent, and PhD. And a few other people who have both a century-old family background in ranching as well as scientific training, including two heads of their grazing associations (with hundreds of producers each). I've seen it put into practice multiple times, generally with good results. I've never been one to believe that science and "the real world" are of necessity opposites, and frankly find that sort of Luddite anti-intellectualism tiresome. A good land manager combines experience with scientific and adaptive management strategies. They're pretty complementary, and one can support the other, when combined properly. The best ranchers I've known have combined their family knowledge of the land with scientific monitoring techniques, and my God, the things they accomplish!

I'm not an Ag student, incidentally. Not that that's an insulting allegation--most of the Ag students at my current school are also multi-generation ranchers or farmers and well-acquainted with how "things work"--and they still use monitoring and estimate forage production.

Feel free to not do any of it, if you think it's worthless. A lot of Colorado and Wyoming ranchers would disagree with you but it's a free country. Not everyone can afford the hay it takes to feed the number of animals they have, so they can't afford to overstock and throw hay out, and wreck the pasture.

I hope that clarifies why I suggested the above.

Anyhow, apologies to the OP for going off track.
                                  My website

Comment

Originally posted by QacarXan View Post

Like this:

This is actually a very good rule of thumb for trying to estimate how much grazing you might get out of your pasture (or pastures if you decide to cross fence). It's not going to be 100% accurate because weather conditions and soil fertility will play a big role in how much production you'll actually get but this will definitely get you in the ballpark. Lots of horse people don't bother to plan ahead when it comes to pasture management and then they can't ever seem to catch back up once the pastures are damaged. Even smaller acreages can be intensively managed to have good grass.

Be prepared to walk your pastures often so that you can keep a check on how much the horses are actually grazing down the grass. Remember that they are terrible spot grazers so although from a distance it might look like there's plenty of grass, there may actually be a lot of areas that are overgrazed. It helps to pull them off, mow the pasture to get rid of the overly mature grass that they're not eating, and then allow for regrowth before putting them back on it.

I may have missed it but how many horses were you planning to put out on the 35-40 acres? If you allow for some of the pastures to grow up prior to the frost killing them, you'll essentially have hay-on-a-stem that can be grazed during winter months. You'll just have to be careful not to let them graze too close and start digging up dormant plants.
                                    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Comment

6-8 horses on 35-40 acres? If it's any sort of decent grass density, that's well over 4 acres per horse and there should be zero issues over-grazing it, assuming you rotate pastures if it's fenced into smaller sections.

Resting for 2 weeks is usually the goal, but in the "off" season for the grass (ie Winter for Bermuda), or more horses/acre or less grass/acre, you'd want more rest time. I don't know how much slowing down Bermuda does where you are, so its downtime may be minimal

Comment

• Original Poster

This is been very very interesting reading. Thanks to all for their input. I have found the majority of farms seem to have over-grazed pastures and it is my goal to NOT let it happen on my farm!

I understand they are spot grazers and that it doesn't sound like a lot of horses on the acreage but it is AMAZING how much they graze it down. I am going to cross-fence it but wondered how often "thereotically" to rotate. I imagine you can just "eye-ball" it but it is very, very interesting to know the scientific approach as well.

I agree that both approaches used in a complimentary manner is probably the best way to maintain a farm!

I am actually very curious now about the native grasses idea.

Thanks again for all the info, everyone!

Comment

Working...
                                        X