• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Best way to haul 'lots' of hay...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to haul 'lots' of hay...

The details... I found an awesome local hay grower last year, and I want to buy enough hay for my horse for the year (they do not store, just sell until it is all gone). I have a wonderful friend who lets me use her full size pickup to get hay.

So the question, I need ~150 bales of hay and would like to get it all in one trip. Is that even possible? I was considering renting a flatbed trailer (do not know where to rent one) and even renting the biggest size u-haul... Would either of those work? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

50# bales is 7,500 lbs total, 60# bales ups it to 9,000 lbs. Do you know how to stack hay tightly and correctly for transport? If not, get the farmer to show you.

Does your friend's truck have a brake controller? You're going to need a big flatbed trailer with brakes for that much hay, probably stout tie-downs as well. Ours is 18' long, and that'd be pushing the max load.

One idea is to talk to small local contractors, guys with earth-moving equipment they haul around, and see if you can hire delivery (I'd be surprised if anyone will rent their trailer, but stranger things have happened). That might end up being cheaper than cobbling something together.

If you're fairly close, you could also see about borrowing a hay wagon from the farmer. You have to drive very, very slowly (hence being "fairly close"), but I've done it several times.
    ---------------------------

Comment

150 bales in a pickup? Not going to happen. You will need at least a large heavy duty flat bed.

To put it in perspective, my long bed (ie 8') easily holds 20 bales (typical 45lb or so squares) and could probably get another 10-15 stacked on if it was held down very securely.

Is there anyone you know with a flatbed you could borrow?

A large u-haul would probably work, but look at the cost of it plus gas, and see if you would be better off driving the pickup over there (ie the miles of gas it would use) a few times.

Comment

Rent a U-Haul box truck for the day.
        "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
          To put it in perspective, my long bed (ie 8') easily holds 20 bales (typical 45lb or so squares) and could probably get another 10-15 stacked on if it was held down very securely.
          I have an F-150, with a 6' bed, and we stacked 62 bales on it and traveled 20 miles to deliver it. They were the same size bales (45 or so lbs.)

If you have someone who can really stack those suckers tight, you can fit quite a few on a pickup.
          "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Comment

Find a farmer with a flatbed
            It's a small world -- unless you gotta walk home.

Comment

Go to a construction equipment type place and rent a trailer used for hauling skid steers and such(tandem axle). About 14-16 ft long should carry 150 bales without a problem. Make sure you have suitable tie downs (long enough)and the correct size tow ball.
              Example; http://www.sunbeltrentals.com/search...railer&type=eq
              ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

The biggest truck on the U-Haul site is 26' and can handle 7400 lbs. That *might* work. Figure $40 per day plus $0.79 per mile, plus the fuel. I'd be surprised if it got more than 7 mpg! http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=JH

Definitely a job for a big flat bed trailer.
                --
                Wendy
                ... and Patrick

Comment

I can easily stack 20 on a full size pick up bed, I could do a third layer for 30 if I knew what I was doing and knew how to tie it down good, but I don't so I don't try.... I have nightmares of causing an accident with a fallen bale in traffic.

A man I used to buy hay from used to deliver 50 squares on his full sized F150 with the tailgate down. Bales were mighty small though and lucky if they weighed 35#. I could carry one in each hand.

I am in the same situation as the OP and every year I rent a Uhaul. Its idiot-proof stacking and you're protected from the rain or possibility of loosing a bale. Also handy if something comes up and you can't get them unloaded in the time you thought, you can just extend the rental and come back the next day to finish up, no worry about weather.

I can get appx 75 bales (appx 45#) in a 14', and around 120 if I cram them in in a 20' truck. Big truck is pricey though, rental fee advertised is the least of it, mileage and gas usage adds up fast. A "$29.99" rental costs me around $150 at the end of the day and I don't go but 60 miles all totaled. Takes me about 9 hours to load up, drive home, then stack 100 bales of hay solo. Last year bales from one field were large but light, I made two trips in one day for a total of 135.

I usually make 3 trips per year.

I have considered renting a tag-along flat bed trailer, but then its mileage and wear and tear on my SUV and then none of the weather benefits or idiot-proof stacking.

Most economical thing would be to borrow someones truck and stock trailer and make several trips. Small stock trailer can hold about 65 bales (45-50# ish) carefully stacked. Each year a friend offers me use of her stock trailer, but I don't want to put those kinds of miles on my SUV, and I don't like taking the chance with someone else's property. Save that kindness for an emergency (G-d forbid).
                  Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

We can get 100 bales in a stock trailer, 6ft wide, 7ft tall inside dimensions, with 18ft on the ground surface. Stacked pretty tight, 60# bales. Got any friends with a stock trailer you can rent? Even doing two trips, loading and unloading at both ends, should only be a day's work. You don't have to worry about losing any bales on the road with the enclosed trailer.

If your friend had a BIGGER trailer, you could even get more on in each load. Maybe then fill your own truck with the left overs. 60 bales on a pickup with an 8ft bed, tailgate down, binder straps, is a good load if bales have any weight to them. Don't kill the truck.

Maybe you could hire friend, a local kid, to help with loading and unloading to speed things up. Have to say the cost is WORTH the money, because you are hating the job by the end of the last bale.

We used to haul ALL the hay home in the stock trailer, so we handled every bale twice, times 1200 bales. Had to use what you have to move hay. We have a semi truck flatbed and I love it. 600 bales to a load. Still handling it twice, but it sure goes faster with the semi. Helps having hired a couple kids to work too! We are HALF done, with only one truck load and one trip!

If you do an open trailer, have enough binder straps to be legal. On our semi, the LAW says every 10ft of the load needs a strap. Every location is different, and you sure don't want to lose bales, get a ticket or cause an accident if the load falls off. Hay will shift in transit. So over strapping the load is FINE, safer for all. TSC sells the flat, wide straps, with the big rachets for a reasonable price. Make sure the clip or hook ends you buy will work on your truck or trailer sides. Might be helpful to put strap ends on FIRST, then run the strap end thru the rachet to tighten after load is on. Any overhanging bale parts don't cover your attachement points, so you can't get them hooked on. I always do that on the pickup bed, since sideways bales overhang the bed sides when loaded.

Gosh 150 bales sounds like a piece of cake. Sure that is enough for winter?

Comment

If the bales are well baled, nice and tight and even, and are not stupidly heavy, I can get 60+ on my F250s 8' bed. I make sure to cross stack them, and do a careful strapping job. Its a bitch to do alone, but I've done it, quite a few times.

Comment

Anyone getting just 20 bales on a long bed pickup truck doesn't know how to stack hay. Like other posters, 40 bales on the back of my SHORT bed is normal, if I really don't feel like making multiple trips.

A couple people have suggested it, but do you have a horse trailer? I can fit 80-100 50# bales in my two horse. I pull out all the dividers and everything, of course. Can stuff another 10-15 in the dressing room. I put up about 600 bales of hay, get about 300 off property, so I take a few trips with the trailer every year.

It's a super pain, vs. getting it delivered, but my hay guy isn't interested in delivering. Lucky for me, he's 15 minutes down the road, and the quality/price make it irresistible.

Comment

I DID say it EASILY holds 20 bales. It's not a matter of cramming more on the first layer - they are what they are. I COULD cram more on the subsequent layers and have things higher and wider if I wanted. It was to give perspective on 150 bales vs a pickup truck of any sort

Comment

I think it all depends on where you live regarding terrain. Down in florida, you might not have a problem hauling that much hay on a trailer...however, if you are in the midst of mountain country and intend to pull a trailer, i would imagine you would probably want a super heavy duty diesel to pull with. The last thing you want to do is drop the transmition of your friend's truck in the middle of the road.

I cant imagine why big uhaul diesel truck wouldnt work.

Comment

If you know what you are doing, you can stack 65 in a long bed truck and that is a big load, and kinda top heavy but it can be done. You need to know how to stack and have ropes to tie down because it just isn't going to sit there. Hauling that amount in a truck isn't insurmountable if you can make several trips.

We used to haul 900 from the hay flat with an elderly Fargo and in what seemed like 900 trips to a kid
                              Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Comment

One other thing to consider is bale size is different depending on where you are. OP I see you are in the PNW which means your bales might be closer in size to what we have down here, 90-125lb per bale. With those I can comfortably fit 10-15 bales in the back of my F150.

If you are really close to the grower then you could handle all the bale with the pickup but you will be making a lot of trips. If at all possible I'd try to find a trailer you can use to haul more. If you decided to rent then look at construction rental type places. They are more likely to have flatbed trailer that will support more weight than the uhaul ones. Or even better would be to find a friend with a horse trailer you can borrow, preferably one where the dividers can be removed to make it easier to load. Be careful not to overload the truck or it's towing capacity.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you all for the good advice. The bales are ~65lbs (I can actually pick them up and throw then around which means that they are <80lbs) so I am not sure if that weighs into some of your suggestions.

Unfortunately I do not have a friend that owns a stock trailer.... I need to make one .

I am leaning toward renting a u-haul as making multiple trips just adds so much time to the whole adventure. And, I scared the bejeezus out of myself last year with losing a few bales of hay off of my friend's truck because I did not know how to stack..... so an enclosed vehicle sounds awesome in that regard. Also, I guess I could stack up her truck (second trip last year I looked up how to stack hay, and we made it back without further incident, but I was white knuckling it the whole way.... I really could have caused a bad accident) and fill the u-haul with hay and be good to go.

Originally posted by goodhors View Post
                                  ... Gosh 150 bales sounds like a piece of cake. Sure that is enough for winter?
                                  Compared to what you are dealing with, 150 would seem like a piece of cake! I only have one horse right now who is a fairly easy keeper so a 65lb bale lasts her 3 days. If I get a second horse like I want to, I would need another 100+ bales....

Comment

I haul 100 70# bales in my stock trailer. Its 24x7x7. That is only 4 deep. Could go another row up.

Comment

My first question when I read the title was 'what do you think lots of hay is'.

The frustrating part about using an enclosed trailer is stacking becomes more tricky.

With someone who knows how to stack safely you can easily get 50 bales on an average truck.

Comment

What about the flat bed trucks you can rent from Home Depot? I would think it would take only two trips. Of course you'd probably have to buy something long from them to be able to rent the truck...

Comment

Working...
                                        X