• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Best SUV to tow with?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best SUV to tow with?

Hey all,
    It looks like I will be trading in my Subie for an SUV and tag-along. Can you guys give me suggestions for SUV's that could haul 2 large warmbloods in a trailer with a dressing room? I will be looking at getting used car and trailer. While trucks are great, I dont want a truck as my main driving vehicle, so an SUV it is!

TIA

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/se...rchid=13121804

There you go. 108 threads, from this board, on towing with an SUV.

If, for some reason, the link doesn't work, type "suv towing" into the search box at the top of this page.

Comment

You can get away with a slightly less monsterous tow vehicle if you are somewhere flat and not to hot or cold but you're pretty much looking a Suburban or used Excursion if you can find one
      I wasn't always a Smurf
      Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
      "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
      The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

Suburban, Tahoe, Excursion. All of these are built on truck frames and can likely haul a 2H-BP with DR with no issues properly equipped.

I'm about to buy a new Grand Cherokee with the V8 and have no concerns about future towing with it for my limited needs which will be for a more basic 2h BP, perhaps slightly stretched rather than a DR. Rated for 7200 lbs with the Class IV hitch with a recommendation of weight distribution setup for over 5000 lbs.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I got lazy rather than do a search, but did check out the threads. The Tahoe keeps popping up, and, doing some research, I see that the Tahoe has a hybrid model. Does anyone have any experience with hybrid towing vehicles? Do they tow well, or are they weaker?

Comment

I recently got an 06 Excursion with the Heavy Duty Package on it. It can tow up to 14,500 lbs. My trailer is an extra tall/wide with a large dressing room. Its a 94' Gore trailer. I've towed my 17H and a 16.2H with no problems and the tack room fully loaded for a 3 day show and the car had no issues. It was a dream to drive, the gas mileage isn't the best....about 11-12 mpg, but it does the job and keeps the SUV factor for dogs, trips, and friends.
            Calm & Collected, 13, OTTB
            Forrest Gump (Catasauqua) , 17, OTTB
            Little Bit Indian, 29, TB
            Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

Comment

I think the request to do a search is because we're all tired of responding to the same question.... There are many different opinions and you really should read through the threads as there is a lot of info.

also check out www.horsetrailerworld.com - best site for info as there are alot of professional truck drivers on there and I am constantly amazed at the wealth of knowledge on that site.

Comment

I have been towing with a Sequoia since 2001 but no way I would attempt what you want to tow with that. I have a wb sized 2 horse with no dressing room to keep the trailer as small as possible.
                McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Not all of the same Make/Model are actually the same. When I was looking for my Tahoe I found out that the typical Tahoes are only rated to tow around 3200lbs (or something crazy small, it was over 2 years ago when I was looking). I was told that to get the 7500lb towing capability, I would have to get the heavy duty model (which looked exactly the same).
                  A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

Comment

I've used our 2009 Tahoe to tow my 2h bp with a dressing room. The trailer weighs 3200 empty and the Tahoe is the heavy duty model. I haven't had two heavy horses in there but with two light horses I had no problems.

I do think that my Dodge Ram pulls the trailer a little better, but the Tahoe did just fine for my local shipping.

Comment

Chronicle articles on Towing and Trailer Safety addresses your question
                      "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Comment

I'm afraid you'd have to be out of your head to tow two large warmbloods and a dressing room trailer with a Tahoe. The tow capacity on the newer ones is about 5,000 lbs give or take, and the older ones it's about 7,200, which could still be a stretch with trailer and equipment. You do NOT want to overload your vehicle.

I'd also skip the hybrid. Honestly, if you must have a SUV, you need one that is truck sized. I like 3/4 ton or better, in particular for that load.
                        ---
                        They're small hearts.

Comment

I have a 2002 diesel excursion with a hd towing package. I have a 2H DR XXL Hawk. I am in love with my rig I wouldn't feel comfortable towing in much smaller.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...0/d9e0a463.jpg

I did a lot of research on SUVs and the excursion was the only thing that I felt could tow what I needed to tow. I was also considering the 2500 suburban but it didn't have the power, gas mileage, or towing capacity of the diesel excursion.

Comment

My Tahoe does well with my spacious 2 horse Sundowner (no dressing room, aluminum) and two 1500lb horses. For long trips (Florida) we use my daughter's truck as I don't trust the Tahoe at 65-70mph on I95.

Comment

The tow rating for a Tahoe WITH the HD tow package is 8500lbs, for the hybrid Tahoe it is only 6100lbs.
                              Wiiliam
                              "A good horse is worth more than riches."
                              - Spanish Proverb

Comment

Originally posted by reay6790 View Post
                                I have a 2002 diesel excursion with a hd towing package. I have a 2H DR XXL Hawk. I am in love with my rig I wouldn't feel comfortable towing in much smaller.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...0/d9e0a463.jpg

I did a lot of research on SUVs and the excursion was the only thing that I felt could tow what I needed to tow. I was also considering the 2500 suburban but it didn't have the power, gas mileage, or towing capacity of the diesel excursion.
                                LOL, yup, you will have to pry my cold dead body away from my diesel Excursion
                                I wasn't always a Smurf
                                Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
                                "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                                The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

Originally posted by carolprudm View Post
                                  LOL, yup, you will have to pry my cold dead body away from my diesel Excursion
                                  Sold my '89 Diesel Suburban for three times what we paid for the '99 GMC 2500 gas quad cab. I still miss my 'burb every. single. day. It's pretty depressing how attached I was to that vehicle, I shouldn't have sold it. The guy who bought it giggled when he drove it.

Sadly, it was the 1500 and just underpowered for my 2-horse w/dressing. Needed the 2500. Tried for weeks to find a decent 2500 Diesel suburban, with no luck.

The brand new diesel Grand Cherokee coming out next year has an 8000lb capacity, if I'm remembering correctly, but it's going to be far out of my budget for several years, until they start hitting the used market.

Comment

Originally posted by carolprudm View Post
                                    You can get away with a slightly less monsterous tow vehicle if you are somewhere flat and not to hot or cold but you're pretty much looking a Suburban or used Excursion if you can find one
                                    This! Suburbans or Excursions for sure, particularly the older ones. Or, a nice used 3/4 ton quad cab dodge (cummins) or Chevy (duramax) truck-can still tote passengers around, get 24-26 mpg and won't even feel your trailer!!

Comment

Originally posted by GoForAGallop View Post
                                      The brand new diesel Grand Cherokee coming out next year has an 8000lb capacity, if I'm remembering correctly, but it's going to be far out of my budget for several years, until they start hitting the used market.
                                      That's a figure I haven't seen yet. Although it's certainly possible, I'll be surprised if it's that high. The Hemi V8 version I'm buying does go to 7200 lbs as I mentioned above. And yes, it will be pricy when it come out sometime between January and May of 2013 as a 2014 model.

Comment

• Original Poster

Interesting, from what you all are saying and what my Internet searches (obviously not the best indication, but certainly a starting point), it may be difficult to find a used SUV with the capabilities that I am looking for. It sounds like they are out there, but more rare. I'll have to keep on looking, I have a few months until I need to make any decisions, hence the early search. But it just may make more financial sense to keep the Subie and get a used 250/2500 that I use just for hauling. Interesting, keep the information coming!

Comment

Working...
                                        X