• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

gator vs. small tractor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gator vs. small tractor

This has been a huge debate for me. I have a tractor with front loader and bush hog on the back. Love it, but i can't use it for dragging the arena as the front loader gets in the way of getting deep into corners. Also, the bush hog is attached 80% of the year and it is a huge PITA to remove so I can't attach a spreader or drag easily. So i want to have a second farm vehicle and am debating between a gator-type-utv or small tractor. The benefits I see of each:

tractor: has 3-pt hitch for greater attachment options. It would not necessarily have a PTO but at least a 3-pt hitch. Maybe a bit stronger in the engine.

gator: dump bed in the back for carrying stuff around. could still have attachments but would only be via a ball hitch.

what I am looking for this vehicle to do: drag arena (right now I only have a harrow but one day hope to upgrade to a "real" drag. pull a ground driven spreader. haul grain/ hay from barn to run-in.

we don't get a huge amount of snow where I live and the vehicle will mostly be driven on gravel paths so I don't think I need 4WD.

what would you do?
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

When I had my own farm, I had a gator and it did everything for me. But when I moved to Germany, everything was done by tractor and I even saw someone once use a horse to grate the jump arena.

Comment

I LOVE my kawasaki mule! But, like you, I also have a tractor. I don't keep my bush hog hooked up all the time so if I need the 3-point, it's usually handy.

I don't know. I find my mule so handy that I don't think I could live without it.
      "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Comment

• Original Poster

The problem with the bushhog is I have to mow spring-fall almost every 1-2 weeks. Taking it on/ off gets really annoying so on it stays!
        Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
        http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
        http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

Comment

I have had three old ATVs and all died. I also have three
          tractors, a couple for "real work" and a little old 8N Ford
          for things like spraying and dragging the arena and moving
          grain around. A carryall on the 3 point of the Ford lets
          me move grain, jumps, tools and whatever else I need to
          cart around. The Ford is nearly as old as I am (and I recently qualified for Medicare) and it still is working fine.
          Tractors last, ATVs break. I'd choose a little old tractor.
          Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
          Elmwood, Wisconsin

Comment

I'd also choose a tractor. I like the gators/small machines, but those are pretty limited.

IMO the most bang for your buck would be a small tractor.
            What tractor do you have now? If your only real need is dropping the FEL to get into corners when raking the ring, why not just use a lawn tractor to rake the ring?

I bought a smaller tractor last year, love it! But do wish it had more hp. Nice part it that the entire FEL and arms comes off in about 2 minutes. No muscles needed.
            You jump in the saddle,
            Hold onto the bridle!
            Jump in the line!
            ...Belefonte

Comment

I have one of each (big tractor, gator and lawn tractor) and the gator by far gets the biggest workout each day. It's much more fuel efficient than any of the tractors, easier to load/unload hay, grain, and I think safer to drive into the barn than the other equipment when I need to move stuff around. I don't have a good drag for it though so I end up switching out a box drag with the bush hog on the big tractor.

Comment

I have an oversized gas powered golf cart.
                http://www.clubcar.com/commercialbus...rryall295.aspx

It's 4/all wheel drive so rarely gets stuck. It's dump bed is bigger than those on the gator type vehicles and will carry 3 bales of hay..would carry 3 more if I could reach to stack them...or 4 manure tubs. It can pull my big Newer Spreader and would pull my Parma groomer if i had one
                I wasn't always a Smurf
                Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
                "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

My b/o is on the 2nd gator. When we had the first one, someone built a sort of "fence" around the dump bed with hardwood (probably oak) rough sawn 2x8s, which she shifted to the "new" gator. It is a great addition because it allows you to really load it up when picking stalls. You can drop 4 bales from the hay loft into it. She bought both of them used, one in a private sale and one from the local John Deere dealer.

I've been around long enough to remember the days when there wasn't a gator, and it sure makes a big difference. It probably gets more of a workout than the big tractor.

Comment

The Gater is good for its designed use. Trying to use it to pull something like a drag is likely to break its transmission quickly.
                    Equus makus brokus but happy

Comment

First requirement - tractor, big enough to pull appropriate sized bush hog and hopefully with a loader.

Second requirement - UTV (Gator, Mule, etc.) to run around in, carry stuff, and do all the millions of miscellaneous chores. Ease of getting in/out, dump bed, cheap to run - PRICELESS. We drag the ring with it every day and it's the most popular vehicle on the farm.

Third requirement - None. You've got it covered.

Comment

Since you already have a good tractor, get an UTV.
                        JD here will let you try one out, why not see if that is what you can use best?
                        Many farmers here irrigate and since all kinds of 4wheelers came to be, they have one to get around.
                        Before, they had to use their pickups for checking and changing water, at a much higher cost, plus getting stuck when muddy.
                        UTVs have been a godsend for farm work of all kinds, your imagination is the limit on what to use them for.

As far as having trouble with any machinery, tractor or Gators, that is a given.
                        We have been lucky not to have any tractor or pickup or Gator trouble ... yet, but that can start to happen today, it is the nature of machinery to sooner or later break down.

Then, you can get a lemon in any you buy, we did once buy a lightly used 1988 Chevy pickup that was a lemon, didn't keep it long, as the previous owner evidently also did, but that is another story.

Our JD tractors and Gators have been trouble free ... up to now.

Comment

I LOVE my Kawasaki Mule! Worth it's weight in gold!
                          "Right is right if nobody is right, and wrong is wrong if everybody is wrong."

-Archbishop Fulton Sheen

Comment

I recently purchased a Kubota rtv with 4wd and a long hydraulic dump bed. we also have a Kubota tractor but like the OP it is a pain to use to drag the rings. You need to get a farmboy 3 point hydraulic hitch for it and then it can use all the fancy drags...
                            Fullcirclefarmsc.com

Comment

I would go talk to a good John Deere salesperson(get recommendations from friends or fellow horse people). If needed, have the sales rep come to your place, show them everything that you want done with a smaller tractor or Gator.

I have a 95 horse tractor w/FEL, does not work in small spaces but gets what I need done in the pasture. Also have two Gators, a 2X 4 and 2 X 6. In the winter, one is loaded with hay for the horses and the 2 X6 is loaded with hay for the cows. (Yes, I feed square for my cows...I can control their hay waste but feeding less> Round bales are fed when I am traveling).

At times I wish I had a 50 horse tractor, but then I would need more stuff -for it.

Comment

We use one of these too

Originally posted by carolprudm View Post
                                I have an oversized gas powered golf cart.
                                http://www.clubcar.com/commercialbus...rryall295.aspx

It's 4/all wheel drive so rarely gets stuck. It's dump bed is bigger than those on the gator type vehicles and will carry 3 bales of hay..would carry 3 more if I could reach to stack them...or 4 manure tubs. It can pull my big Newer Spreader and would pull my Parma groomer if i had one
                                We use our EZ go to pull the small manure spreader and the simple chain link fence gate to groom the arena...works great!

Comment

We have big tractors and a gator. The gator gets more use than anything....great for hauling ANYTHING (hay, water, gardening supplies, etc). I take it out to check the fence on our 10 acre pasture.... we use it to rake our hay, since it is smaller, easier to maneuver and takes up less gas than a tractor. Cutting trees along the fence line....the bed is a perfect height to get up there and get rid of any branches that a horse could smack their head on while playing...ours also has a dump bed, which has been useful for manure, or moving soil or mulch around. So, I use it for the farm, of course, but also for my gardening projects. And, if you have kids, it's safe enough for them to drive (supervised), and my son loves it. I can even have him out in the field raking hay while we're on the tractor baling it! Love the gator!
                                  Angie from Verona, Wisconsin www.glacierridge.com

Owned by a grulla QH, 2 Fjords, and two mini geldings. RIP Kissy. Friend for 26 years...

Comment

Working...
                                  X