• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Newbie Trailer Question -- 2H=Box?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Trailer Question -- 2H=Box?

I've never had a trailer, but hopefully will in the near future, so I've been reading the trailer posts. From what I've read it seems like horses prefer/are healthier travelling in a box stall to the typical single/narrow trailer stalls, especially for long hauls.

So, my question is--if you have a 2 horse straight load trailer and only one horse, can't you just take the divider out and let him travel in the now box size stall? Why wouldn't you do this (assuming you don't need the second stall for "stuff")?

Thanks!
    "A good man will take care of his horses and dogs, not only while they are young, but also when they are old and past service." Plutarch

Boy - it would seem so - but - problem is straight load "escape" doors ( and even a lot of slant load trailer front doors ) are not meant for horse butts bumping them or even a kick - if you go that route make sure you have ordered heavy duty doors w/ a solid liner / outside bar guard latch and inside bar across
    Risa
    www.HappyTrailsTrailers.com
    www.BalancedrideTrailers.com
    www.SterlingHorseTrailers.com ( coming soon )

Comment

That...and 2-horse straight loads typically aren't as wide as a stock type trailers. Also, if you have a ramp, it woudn't be smart to have the horse be able to turn around and attempt jumping over the ramp.

If you would like to take the divider out, I would still tie the horse, but that way he can move his butt side to side and put it wherever is most comfortable fo rhim.

I have a 2 horse slant stock type trailer. When I trailer one alone, I still tie his head where it would be in the front slant, but i don't close the slant divider, so he can stand either straight on his own, or slanted, but cannot move about freely. I don't like freely moving horses because if I have to hit the breaks suddenly, I don't want them loosly tossing about. If they are tied, they are more likely to be leaning on a wall already.
      "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks, I knew there had to be a reason people weren't doing it. I did recently see someone with a step-down stock trailer that had no dividers or anything and the horse was just allowed to roam around. It was the kind I usually see for, well, stock. That's what made me curious.
        "A good man will take care of his horses and dogs, not only while they are young, but also when they are old and past service." Plutarch

Comment

I have a 2 horse step up slant (no front doors). I often trailer broodmares and babies and young horses in there by just opening the divider and securing it to the side of the trailer. Never had any problems.
          www.saraalberni.com

Comment

When I bought my Equispirit, I ordered a full-length butt bar so that I could remove the divider & make a box stall. I've done that setup to haul a mare and foal. BTW, trailer is for sale.

Comment

I have a trailer like SuckerforHorses', and how I haul depends on the horse. My late large pony got the divider because it was easier for him to balance in the smaller space than to have the whole box, whereas my small TB, who is not just wider but also longer than the pony, gets the whole box to himself, always, so he can spread his feet out. He's been in there before with a second horse, but he hated it so much that he started refusing to load. (So much for "two-horse.") I did haul a friend's hony loose once, simply because he hadn't hauled in years and he was losing his mind at being tied, but it was a white-knuckle trip for me; I'd never hauled anyone loose and was terrified that I'd inadvertently knock him over!

Comment

I've got an older 16' stock trailer with a single divider gate in the middle. My horse travels in the front box tied facing backwards. He hauls better that way. The only reason I don't leave him loose is because when they put the window in the front, they didn't grind down the rivets and he's cut up his face from bobbing his stupid head around. He hauls loose really well, and I've had to hit the brakes several times. They're not anymore likely to fall loose than they are tied, and in my opinion, I would rather they fall loose rather than being tied because it would strain their neck, even if you have a panic snap.

The trailer tie I use is as long as it can be so he can put his head down, and it attached to the tie ring via 550 cord DH had.

We recently hauled my new lease horse, a 16.3h 1000lb TB in my friend's 2H slant. He hadn't been hauled in over a year, so we ran his rope thru the tie ring but left it loose and secured the divider at the largest section. Thankfully the designers figured people would be hauling different size horses and accommodated that by having extra holes to set the divider. I would have no problem hauling my horse loose in her trailer either without the divider. He turns around when we stop, but stands like a rock otherwise.
                runnjump86 Instagram

Horse Junkies United guest blogger

Comment

I hauled one bratty pony with my trailer set up as a box stall. He would panic each time we tried to put up the ramp behind him when he was in the straight load.
                  DH & I removed all of the dividers, owner loaded the pony and turned him to face the ramp. We popped up the ramp and quick shut the top doors.

No my first choice but I was 3 hours from home so didn't have many options.

Normally I wouldn't like to since there is no butt bar on my trailer unless the center divider is in place.
                  Although truth be told that is slightly flawed logic on my part. I periodically haul medium or small ponies and they can go right under my butt bar even when it is in the lowest position. I figure if they are sitting on the ramp instead of the butt bar they don't weight enough to cause a problem.

Having the butt bars just makes me feel better.

Unless the horse is really large I think having them pinned in place seems safer. Keeps the load from being able to shift around too much. I could see a horse/pony getting a little agitated and spinning in the trailer causing additional sway as the loads shifts unpredictably. Even if you tie them then can be swinging their butt back and forth.
                  Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

You may find this interesting

Professional Shipper siting articles that discuss the pros and cons of stall configurations:

http://www.brookledge.com/fyi.html

I have hauled loose many times and never had an issue with weight shifting. However, this was with a 3/4 ton truck and a gooseneck, I can't comment on hauling loose with a bumper pull.
                    DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

My trainer and I share an older Big Valley that has had the divider removed. It's a bit wider than the average 2H. It's a step up so the doors are high enough to prevent jumping out. My horse prefers this trailer as he can slant his body however he wants when he travels, and is not limited by a partition. When we arrive at out destination, he gets unhooked and is free to turn around and look out at the venue if he so pleases.
                      There's coffee in that nebula.

Comment

Originally posted by SomedaySoon View Post
                        Thanks, I knew there had to be a reason people weren't doing it. I did recently see someone with a step-down stock trailer that had no dividers or anything and the horse was just allowed to roam around. It was the kind I usually see for, well, stock. That's what made me curious.
                        I had a 2 horse step up for many years. I would routinely haul 1 horse without the divider. Horse was tied as usual, butt bars on both sides were used and horse was fine and happy to have extra room to balance . I have a 4 horse stock now and usually haul 2 horses in it. 1 up front and 1 in back. I still tie them but some people don't. If your horse hauls well they will find their spot and stay there despite being tied or not, especially on very long hauls. If you have a nervous horse I would tie. I always tie unless hauling a foal.

Comment

Working...
                        X