• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

WTH is biting me?!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTH is biting me?!?

Something is biting me in my bed. It has happened four times over the course of about three months. The first two times it was so bad I had to get a course of steroids. Not sure if I am getting used to it or what but they aren't quite as bad now. It is usually three or four bites in about a two inch square area. Three of the four times it was on my arm, once it was on my thigh. They itch and hurt and get a raised blister. My doctor's guess is some kind of spider. Hubby did have some little marks on his arm once but they never got blistered so not sure if it is the same thing or not.

I have washed the bedding of course each time including the pillows and comforter. It is a soft sided waterbed that is in a wooden frame with a liner. Nothing is apparent when I pull it back and look inside or underneath. I really don't want to spray chemicals on my bed but am getting sick of being bitten. Three more today on my upper right arm.

Any idea what it could be and what to do about it?
    McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Bed bugs?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bed...CTION=symptoms

Comment

• Original Poster

That does seem to be the most obvious choice but you really can't see any evidence of them at all. I am not saying that isn't what it is but I can't see them anywhere.
      McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Apparently they hide in tiny tiny little cracks and crevices? Wiki has a pic of one hiding in a screw hole in the bed frame: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_bug

Maybe you can find an outfit with a bed bug dog to come out and sniff around?

Comment

It does sound like spiders. You'll get several bites within the same area. Ick.

I'd be doing some serious bedding flapping before I got into bed! Actually, I might do that anyway tonight in sympathy of your plight.

Comment

Sounds like spiders to me as well. I've suffered from multiple spider bites in the last couple of years. Since I'm allergic, it means steroids, antibiotics, antihistimines and a lot of discomfort.

Unfortunately there are heavy woods behind my place and the spiders are bad, no matter what I do about them. They always seem to attack at night.

Comment

Any chance you have been taking a high dose of Ibuprofen?

At the advice of a nurse friend, I upped my dosage to 800mg when my bad knee got torqued.

The knee appreciated this, but suddenly I was itching all over in a pattern that resembled the classic bedbug breakfast/lunch/dinner trio.

I freaked - wondering WhereTheFruitbat I had gotten bedbugs - I had been nowhere for months and noone had used my bed!

Topical hydrocort ointment helped but after a couple weeks of this torture I asked one of the pharmacists I work with and was told high-dose Ibuprofen can affect your liver function which can cause the itching.
              Last edited by 2DogsFarm; Jun. 22, 2012, 12:08 PM.
              *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
              Steppin' Out 1988-2004
              Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
              Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

• Original Poster

I have the exterminator coming this afternoon just in case. This has been going on too long. No ibuprofen thankfully, I had facet blocks and feel awesome! High doses of advil gives me lesions in my throat that are more painful than whatever I took the meds for.
                McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

My first instinct was bed bugs.

had them in the old house. They would get me around the back of my neck and leave welts.

But since we had fleas at the time, too, I bombed the house and all was well.

But the two times a suspected spider bit me, it was quiet painful as well as leaving welts. One time the welt actually felt feverish hot!

Comment

• Original Poster

I just hope the exterminator finds something and can get rid of it. It takes like two weeks for the bites to go away so I am going to be styling on the beach...
                    McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Do you have any pets? I've gotten chigger bites from sleeping with my dogs in the bed. I've gotten ticks that way too despite using Advantix drops.

Comment

• Original Poster

Yes, I have cats and dogs. I don't think they are chiggers though. Hopefully we will know what it is very shortly. The exterminator is coming sometime between 2 and 4. I just hope they find something as I certainly couldn't.
                        McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Would hanging a mosquito net over the bed help? Least then you'd know if it was something -in- the bed or something from in the room.

Gainer, might help you, too.
                          Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

I suspect spiders. There are tiny little spiders that are invisible to the naked eye, and if you are allergic to them you get a really bad reaction just like what you described. A friend and her husband had a wooded area they were building a house on, and they were clearing brush and picking up around the place during construction, and she turned up with huge bites that were itchy, swollen and awful to look at. Her dermatologist said that because she was allergic they were big bite marks, and her husband who was apparently also bitten wasn't allergic, so his marks were tiny and not a problem. She had to get all kinds of shots and treatments also.

I would suspect the spiders are under the bed base, between the bed and wall, and might be in the tiny places inside the bed frame also.

I would drain the mattress, or drain it enough to spray the bed frame under it, let dry, and fill the mattress back up. And have the exterminator concentrate under and behind every part of the bed. And whenever you move brush, mow etc, then come in dump your clothes in the washer, and hit the shower asap, then you might not have another problem with them. I totally hate spiders, and there a lots around here too.
                            You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

• Original Poster

There is no way to get under the bed without dismantling it. It is a solid wooden box.
                              McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by kookicat View Post
                                Would hanging a mosquito net over the bed help? Least then you'd know if it was something -in- the bed or something from in the room.

Gainer, might help you, too.
                                A google search on Gainer brought up some disturbing possibilities but none of which seemed even remotely relevant! Care to explain?
                                McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Originally posted by Laurierace View Post
                                  A google search on Gainer brought up some disturbing possibilities but none of which seemed even remotely relevant! Care to explain?
                                  Sorry, I was referring to the poster on here with that name.

Originally posted by Gainer View Post
                                  Sounds like spiders to me as well. I've suffered from multiple spider bites in the last couple of years. Since I'm allergic, it means steroids, antibiotics, antihistimines and a lot of discomfort.

Unfortunately there are heavy woods behind my place and the spiders are bad, no matter what I do about them. They always seem to attack at night.

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh good! I wonder what kind of cookies list I am on now?!
                                    McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

I seem to have upset you. I'm sorry. It was never my intention to confuse you.

Comment

minute pirate bugs? We're having a problem with them now. Do you have any crops growing around you? We have corn and hay fields around us and this is the first year we've had a problem with these bugs. I am bit from head to toe. You can't see them when they're babies but they still pack a heck of a bite. When full grown they look like fleas but they fly, they don't jump and they smoosh like a regular bug. They are driving me crazy.

Comment

Working...
                                        X