• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Rubber mats inlaid in the barn aisle - how to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubber mats inlaid in the barn aisle - how to do?

I am in the middle of building a new 4-stall barn. I have a 12' aisle that will be concrete. I would like to lay rubber mats into the center portion of the aisle, rather than place them on top of the finished concrete, so that the surface of the mats is flush with the surface of the concrete. The company doing the concrete pour has done many barns, but this is the first time someone has requested inlaid mats from them. They are concerned about getting the mats level when they are put into the concrete.

Are there any guidelines for how to do this correctly? Pointers are welcome!

i would prep the area for the mats with stonedust beneath and use those steel/iron L bars as a frame to separate the the concrete area from the matted area. Hope that makes sense.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Comment

Just run the cement down the sides, and have the mats on gravel - you can move them if necessary, level them, it provides drainage, etc. Sort of like what would be under mats in a stall. Wish I had done this, I am tired of realigning the mats in the aisle!

L

Comment

• Original Poster

So do you mean to pour 2, 4'-wide concrete slabs (which would constitute the left and right concrete sides), then after it's dry build up stone dust in the center 4' where the mats will go?

That sounds much simpler than putting the mats into the concrete! It would also allow me to replace mats if needed down the road, whereas if we set them into the concrete they would be permanently stuck in.

Comment

You need to search for Badger here on COTH. She did some sort of framework around the mats in her new barn in Aiken. She shared some photos on FB showing the arrangement.

Comment

Mat ideas

Look at the mats from Linear Rubber. We have mats in a 16' x 120' barn as well as some others, made by Linear Rubber to fit.

Needed some final trimming but they interlock like jigsaws, don't move, and having fewer seams is a huge advantage when it comes to cleaning them... STUFF gets stuck in the seams but ours are so tight they are a breeze to clean with the leaf blower and always look nice.

Ours are laid over compacted, leveled decomposed granite. Take your time to make the base level, hard, and clean and the final matting job is much nicer.

We don't have freeze/thaw so don't have to worry about temperature extremes.

Having the mats (it's kind of like rubber wall to wall carpeting in the aisle!) saves our barn helpers hundreds of hours of labor each year, and the entire barn is much cleaner. Some feel it made the barn warmer but I am not sure about that.

Comment

Why not just put mats down on top of the cement, for the entire aisle?

I too have a 12' aisle, that is 36' long (my barn is basically three 12x12 stalls on the left, and the right is all 12' aisle - entire building is 24x36).

I just put mats down on the entire aisle.
              "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Comment

Like a sidewalk down either side of the aisle. Then, the area under the mats (like the road down the middle) is based compact with gravel, contractor's sand, stone dust or whatever is recommended to provide a hard, level surface which drains well.

If you make the inset base concrete, then you will have a horrible time with water and urine and dirt running under the mats with no real way to clean that out, even if you took up the mats. You want either the aisle to be all of the same surface, for washing and draining, or gravel underneath.

Frankly, I don't see the point of not extending the mats to the edge of the aisle, but if that's what you want, either put the mats on top of all concrete with no insets to catch urine etc or make the inset drained gravel type.

My concern would be that the concrete "edge" would be vulnerable to erosion, cracks, chips, even if your mats were right up tight to the edge. I would also be concerned about how the pressure from a hoof half on half off the concerete/mat border might erode the gravel bed differently from the concrete. Or how something else would erode the gravel bed differently from the concrete. I don't know. Just not certain it would work well over time.
                My warmbloods have actually drunk mulled wine in the past. Not today though. A drunk warmblood is a surly warmblood. - WildandWickedWarmbloods

Comment

We have rubber mats inlaid in the our barn aisle,but I'm no help in terms of how to do it, because they were in place when we bought this farm.
                  They are as you described,down the middle and flush with the floor.
                  We have had this farm for 12 years and they are still good,and in that time have never moved, curled up or slipped.
                  They do have small spaces between the ends, but this is easy to sweep out, or blow out with the leaf blower.
                  There are also drains in the aisle and in the stalls, with the floor slanting slightly towards them.

They were one of the selling points to me when we bought the farm,and I continue to like them.
                  A Fine Romance. April 1991 - June 2016. Loved forever.

Comment

Tasia has some great pics of her mats down the center of the aisle, and it inspired me to do the same. We poured the concrete with a channel down the middle, just the depth and width of the mats, so the mats sit flush with the aisle. We considered putting stonedust underneath but our contractor believed the concrete base would allow him to make them more exactly flush and remain stable. The two mats at the ends of the aisle are bolted to the concrete, rest just sit into place. These have been in place since last fall. Only problem so far is that on hot days on the west end of the barn where the sun comes in, the mats expand enough to buckle up where they meet. They go down when the temp drops. We are waiting for July heat before fixing it, as we want to trim enough to handle as much expansion as the summers will deliver. The end mats will stay bolted down, and we will trim to allow some space for expansion along the length of the aisle. We have had no problem with urine etc getting under the mats. The rare time I've had a horse pee in the aisle, I just flush the mat with some water and it is fine. I worried about this before installation, but it has not been an issue.

I like the look of the mats running down the center of the aisle, rather than going the full width of the aisle. Prefer having the strips of lighter concrete on either side rather than a sea of hot black rubber. Was REALLY glad I went this route when a loose horse decided to gallop full throttle down the length of the aisleway and came to no harm. I had loose mats on top of concrete in my old barn and much prefer this. They stay put, they are flush, when you stand on a stool to pull a mane or braid, your stool is level. What's not to love?
                    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Comment

• Original Poster

Badger, how did you make the channel in the middle?

I am kind of leaning towards doing stone dust under the mats because my builder and the concrete guy are not very confident about getting the channel correct in the middle, which makes me not very confident that they will do a great job with it and I don't want to have to live with a badly done aisle. The concrete guy expressed concern that the channeled portion may not come out perfectly level everywhere, so I'd end up with an uneven mat surface. Also, the property is on sand, so I'd have really good drainage under the stone dust.

I do have 2 aisle drains already roughed-in, so I can go either way with the center channel...just trying to gauge the pros and cons of both approaches.

Comment

We did a double pour of concrete. First level was the complete aisle, second was the "shoulders" on each side of the mats. I had the mats glued/bonded together and I love it.
                        www.clearbluefarm.com - a work in progress

Comment

We did the same thing as Clear Blue for pouring the granite. Our contractor and the concrete guy didn't think it was any big deal.
                          Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
                            We did the same thing as Clear Blue for pouring the granite. Our contractor and the concrete guy didn't think it was any big deal.
                            Glad the mats worked out

Comment

Working...
                            X