• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Deciding on a new horse trailer, how do you choose??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciding on a new horse trailer, how do you choose??

We are in the market for a new horse trailer since our new warmblood does not fit in our current one (lol). We need something that can be at least 7foot wide and 7'6tall. There are just so many trailers out there these days that I am having the hardest time deciding which one would be the best for us

On that note, I would really love to hear what all of you like and don't like in a trailer and why. What brands do you like? Do you prefer and angle haul or a straight load? What additional options did you add to your trailer? Now that you have had your trailer or know of a trailer a friend has, what would you change if you could change anything at all?

Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

For the big guys I like a straight haul better then angle. The stalls are bigger and give more room for the horse.

I have had both angle and straight and I like stright haul trailers best. Also you don't have to go wider in a trailer if you go with straight. I like the walk through trailers over the ones with the tack storage under. Walk in dressing rooms are great but I can live without. and a ramp on the back for easy unloading.
    My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

Comment

I like angle hauls for the fact that they look so much more open to a horse that might be a bit more wary of trailers, though all my horses except one have been easy loaders that could load into anything.

If you are doing long distances a gooseneck is much preferred to a bumper pull as it is more stable which can help horses to arrive less tired than in a BP.

I wouldn't change too much on my trailer. I in general only haul one horse to nearby shows (between 5-25 minutes). It's a slant load, BP 2 horse with a tack room in the front and a small fold up "tack room" in the back. The saddle racks that come with it are useless as the saddles just fall off but I usually have my saddle in a tack box or can take it in the car or wedge it somewhere else in the trailer so it doesn't fall. I did drive 14 hours to a show with it with 2 horses. The horses were fine, but definitely more tired than the next year when I did the same trip but had them professionally hauled in a huge 7 horses middle loading gooseneck pulled by a semi. This trip was on a flat straight line roads. I would not have hauled my own on a long distance trip in curvey, mountainy road in my BP.
      I would have liked to have bars with screens on the windows by their heads so when we stop for breaks on a bit longer trips they get more fresh air. Right now I either have to put the windows down all the way and they can stick their heads out which worries me with all the stupid people in this world and if they spook and yank their heads in quickly they could hit their heads, or I have to leave the windows up with just the very small actual window open.

Comment

Before buying trailer #3, I crawled through lots and lots of trailers with notebook in hand. I made notes about fit and finish ... how smooth are the welds, how are things like butt and chest bars connected, how are the door latches, where are the lights, what are the options, etc. There are some types of latches I just do not like; there are some types of ramps I prefer. Once I found a trailer line that had a majority of the features I wanted, the final order was easy to make (it was a big Hawk GN).

*Star*
        "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
        - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Comment

I have an Exiss 3 Horse, Slant-load gooseneck, with a large tack room in the front. After we bought it I had a ramp put on and had attatchment points welded onto the bottom of the dividers so that I could put on extra pieces that made the dividers go all the way to the floor (I use it for long trips, when I put hay and shavings bags in the front stall).

For the most part I only use it for going to local shows (at the most 90 minutes away). But once or twice a year I use it to go on longer trips, 10-15 hours. It's perfect for the local hauling but I only tow 1 maybe 2 horses in it now and on the long trips I normally only have one and I take out the dividers a trailer them loose.

I prefer straight loads to slant loads, the only reason I bought my trailer was because I had a horse who fell over in a straight load, and could not trailer in one anymore (he had anxiety and would literally start shaking in the trailer).
          Chrissy

RIP Beaming Sportsfield (1998-2012)

Comment

I love Kingstons Trailers. I have seen loads of them over the years. They are airy, roomy, hold up well, and hold their value. I have the two horse bumper pull straight load. I used to compete many week-ends 3-4 hours from home. Now my horse is semi-retired, I still love the trailer. If I were to get a dressing room, I would get a GN. The bumper pulls with dressing rooms are IMHO unwieldy.

Comment

I did a lot of research on here and in general about price and quality. I ended up with an extra tall, extra wide, extra long Hawk BP straight load. I added a bunch of options including full rear doors with added ramp, dressing room with carpeting, 3rd set of windows, a fan, drop down escape door windows, adjustable butt and breast bars, and I changed the interior padding color.

I LOVE love love my hawk. my horses seem to really like the trailer as well. both of my boys have ridden in it now and no complaints from them.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...0/trailer1.jpg
              http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...0/trailer4.jpg
              http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...0/trailer3.jpg

Comment

Ooo your Hawk does look nice! It is a walk-thru (or whatever it's called when you lead the horse in and then duck under the chest bar)?

OP, it depends on your preference and your budget. I prefer a straight load for various reasons, mostly because I grew up with straight loads. I would have loved a head-to-head. So my little trailer that I zoom around town with is exactly the same type of trailer I first experienced: 2H BP with one of those tiny little dressing rooms under the manger. Yes, a PITA sometimes but I love it. It's a '94 Charmac, and it's actually getting all new shoes tomorrow.

Our other trailer is our big 'un. DH did a bunch of research and wanted a Bison (I think?), but settled on a Logan Coach, which is constructed the same way. DH wanted a slant load, not a head-to-head, and it has a huge LQ, and he's already lived in it for three months when he was in CA for training. The thing I really like it is the flooring, under the mats the floor boards are slanted so urine runs out instead of pooling. Kinda like \\\\ but obviously not that sharp of an angle. We bought it new and there have been issues with the generator and wiring, and the shower leaked and ruined the floor, but the customer service has been EXCELLENT. DH has one of the Logan Coach guy's number on speed dial, and if there's a problem it's usually fixed within a week!
                COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

I am obsessed with my trailer, and take every opportunity to tell people about it. It is a 2 + 1 gooseneck with a dressing room. The "horse" part of the trailer can be configured as 2 straight stalls with a smaller stall in front (separated by a wall), two equal size boxes, one large box and one smaller box, or take everything out and have a huge empty space. There is a door from the dressing room to the horse area so I can tack my horses up with out me or them leaving the trailer (GREAT in the rain!). I have a back ramp and a side ramp so you can easily unload one horse and leave the other in. It is also extra tall and extra wide so my 17.3 Warmblood fits comfortably

Mine is a Kiefer Built, but others have similar trailers.
                  www.rockhillfarm.net

Comment

I've had both a steel 2-horse slant load (TrailsWest) and a straight load 2-horse (Hawk). Both were good trailers. Here's what I liked about both:

Slant: easy to load by yourself. Yeah, yeah, every horse should "self-load" but let's be honest--they don't. With a slant it is simpler, especially that first slot. Open, inviting for new loaders.

Hauled very well, easy to maneuver, nice big tack room. (I'd never buy one without a tack room/dressing room).

Straight load: Huge--extra long, extra tall, so it fits even a huge warmblood easily (couldn't get my slant that tall). Open, inviting, bright white, cooler with the fiberglass roof/aluminum construction. Love the Rumber floor--no maintenance! No mats! Lots of light and windows. Lighter in weight than the slant steel. Huge dressing room as well, with lots of options for adding saddle racks and whatnot.

Harder to load the non-self-loader, but doable.

I love having a ramp on the straight load, as the slant was a step up, but no biggie.

I won't go back to a slant steel at this point. Hawk is a wonderful trailer! My SIL and I share it, and we always get nice compliments on it wherever we go.
                    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

I have a Logan 3-horse GN slant, which I am overall very happy with. I had several things customized which I feel really enhance its usefulness:

1. The divider between the first and second stalls is a stud divider, so if I don't have three horses, I can use the first stall for hay or tack trunks.

2. I had the triangular part of the dressing room closed off with its own door and it serves as the place for all my tools and buckets, which means the dressing room stays much cleaner. I don't have a rear tack, so the rear stall is larger.

3. I had a door added so that you can access the dressing room from the driver's side as well as the passenger side.

4. I opted for rumber flooring.

5. I went for the power jack... so easy!

6. Finally, I had a camera installed so that I can monitor the horses.

Comment

I understand your dilemma! Been there done that.... but like ShotenStar, we did our research over a two-year period. We crawled through trailers, paid extreme attention to the welds, flooring, undercarriage, etc. Really liked the Hawk, but after attending a seminar by Tom & Neva Scheve (authors of The Complete Guide to Buying, Maintaining, and Servicing a Horse Trailer -- and former designers for Trail-Et and Hawk) and speaking with them personally, we went with an EquiBreeze, the open trailer option of the EquiSpirit. All their years of design work and focus on safety is brought to bare in the EquiSpirit and it shows.

We chose the EquiBreeze since we live in the warm southeast and truly had no need for a fully-enclosed trailer (the one pictured in the ad is ours). It is built exactly the same as the EquiSpirit but with the open concept-- two-horse straight load gooseneck, Extra Tall & Extra Wide for our draft mares. The ramp is soooo perfectly balanced that it takes only two fingers to lower or raise it. I ADORE the easy open door latches. You just pop the bottom and lift the bar out. Then they just snap closed when you put the bar back. The dressing room has plenty of storage space and the whole trailer is well lit, inside and out.

Due to budgetary constraints when we bought it, I didn't choose the power jack. If I had to do it all over again, I would have sprung for it.

Above all, the customer service from Tom and the others at EquiSpirit is exceptional. If you want to talk to Tom, you do... no listening to "Press 1 for Joe, Press 2 for Jane." They even sent me pictures while it was being built so I could see the progress. They'll deliver or you can pick up. If you choose delivery, they ensure that your trailer is washed locally right before they drive up to you. We chose pick up and it was Tom that met us, walking us through every inch of it. That kind of service is priceless.
                        <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

OP - ChocoMare didn't stress this so I will! It would be very helpful if you actually got and read the Scheve's book The Complete Guide to Buying, Maintaining, and Servicing a Horse Trailer early in your search. Very, very helpful on understanding the basics before you start shopping: goose vs BP; aluminum vs. steel vs. aluminum & steel; compatibility with tow vehicle; slant vs. straight; annual maintenance guidelines, etc., etc. It's well worth that investment of time before you make that big investment of money, and understanding the basics will help you figure out exactly the style and configuration best fits your unique needs. Then you can do the fun part which is checking out all the different brands and how they compare with your own list of must haves and with each other.
                          When I was doing my research I also went to horse shows, hunter paces, trail heads, etc., scoped out all the trailers and asked people if I could look at theirs if it was something I thought I might like. That way you can actually see how the gates fasten, if anything protrudes into horse area, etc. Turns out most people like to talk about their trailers almost as much as about their horses!
                          It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

Comment

• Original Poster

I honestly can't thank all of you enough for your feedback! We have been looking at some Logan trailers so I'm glad to hear some positive feedback on them. I hadn't actually heard of the Hawk trailers but I found a dealer in the next province over so I'm hoping if we get out there we will be able to take a look at those as well.

I think that book is exactly what I need so thank you for bringing it up!! I will try to get my hands on it and that should hopefully help me figure out what exactly will work for us.
                            Last edited by AdrenalineJunky; Jun. 20, 2012, 03:17 AM. Reason: Apparently I can't spell.

Comment

Can't say enough good things about ours. Honestly, the only "problems" have been in the LQ portion, and I think a lot of it was because they aren't designed to be used for long-term housing. The shower wouldn't have leaked if it wasn't used twice a day for three months solid (and more when I visited over a long weekend).

PM me if you want or have questions, whatever I can't answer, I can ask DH. He is the expert!
                              COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

I bought the book, read it but still have a question. Do horses need to lean on something to keep their balance? OneMoreFortheRoad mentions her horse fell over (I assume in a straight load), so she now has a slant. The inference is that horses use the slant to lean against for balance. Which also leads me to ask, is a box stall any help if your horse needs to balance against something?

Comment

No, but in a box stall they have room to spread their legs out to balance, but really mine tend to stand at a backward angle in a box stall. In a perfect world I prefer box stall, but that isn't necessarily realistic...

Slants and straights have their own pros and cons, but the worst con is if the stall size simply isn't large enough for your horse to comfortably lower his/her head and relax (also drain out snot) on a ride. Just my opinion.

OP, how big is your truck? To do a slant for a giant horse you need to go very wide. If you are limited in truck capacity it might be easier to find a warmblood sized straight load.
                                  DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Chall View Post
                                    Which also leads me to ask, is a box stall any help if your horse needs to balance against something?
                                    I have found that my horses consistently turn around and ride backwards in the box stalls. All of my horses seem to ride very comfortably in the box, and they could of course lean against the walls if they needed to.
                                    www.rockhillfarm.net

Comment

Originally posted by reay6790 View Post
                                      I did a lot of research on here and in general about price and quality. I ended up with an extra tall, extra wide, extra long Hawk BP straight load. I added a bunch of options including full rear doors with added ramp, dressing room with carpeting, 3rd set of windows, a fan, drop down escape door windows, adjustable butt and breast bars, and I changed the interior padding color.

I LOVE love love my hawk. my horses seem to really like the trailer as well. both of my boys have ridden in it now and no complaints from them.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...0/trailer1.jpg
                                      http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...0/trailer4.jpg
                                      http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...0/trailer3.jpg
                                      I know a couple of Hawk owners and they are GREAT trailers. I'd love to own one. Having a bunch of big horses, I want to caution you about slant loads. Most of them are just not long enough in the stall to accomodate a really big horse. Even our Sundowner 8' wide puts hocks against the rear wall. The first slant load we bought appeared to be big enough but we had to resell it immediately.

We currently have a Featherlite straight load and it's very spacious and hauls well. But avoid the model that has an aisle between the two horses going into the tackroom. Seemed like a good idea, but it's a PITA to keep the horses from picking at each other, and the head nets Featherlite installed are a great way to peel the halter off your horse's face so he backs off the trailer naked.

Comment

I love my 2001 2 horse, straight load Sundowner for my 1600lb Irish Draught. It is roomy and comfortable. The ramp is easy to lift and easy for horses to negotiate without slipping. I have no idea of what the new ones are like. If you get a used Sundowner, have a trailer guy check the floor and frame to be sure there is no corrosion.

Comment

Working...
                                        X