• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What kind of bird builds this nest? They're back! Post #60 :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just an FYI, Cornell Ornithology (sp?) Dept. has a poster of birds to be had for free. Send them an email and they'll send one to you. Also, they have webcams of little baby birds and the whole nine yards.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinadreamin' View Post
      Well, that's just...I have no words. . Did you know that swallows are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, making it illegal to intentionally kill them?
      I have a lot of words, but I'm not going to write them down, because the Mod would probably smack me.
      Wait, here are some words that don't need to be bleeped out: PARK YOUR CAR SOMEWHERE ELSE FOR A MONTH. But hey, that might be "inconvenient."
      I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by grayarabpony View Post
        Eastern Phoebes have darker heads than body and a light belly. Babies will not be colored just like adults yet.

It's unlikely a Kingbird would build a nest in a place like that.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/e...be/lifehistory

Your babies look like this picture: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAQ&dur=110
        I think we have a winner. The sounds in the second link sealed it for me. They sound just like that. (And on a funny note, the sounds drove my cats NUTS! LOL!)

goneriding24, thanks for this: "Just an FYI, Cornell Ornithology (sp?) Dept. has a poster of birds to be had for free. Send them an email and they'll send one to you. Also, they have webcams of little baby birds and the whole nine yards."
        "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Comment

Originally posted by PiaffePlease View Post
          Really? You like swallows?

A few years ago I had several swallows build a nest in my carport. Every time I left the house they attempted to attack me. I knocked down their nest (no babies) every day, and it was always back the next day. I even put up strips of nails to keep them away. That didnt work either. This went on for a month before my husband shot them. I know it sounds mean, but they were vicious and I tried repetitively to evict them humanely.

BTW, this does look like a swallow's nest.

Wow. They weigh about four ounces. How vicious could they be?

The birds weren't the vicious ones.

You disgust me. And your husband is a criminal.

Next time try doing something like.... Moving the car for a few weeks. They were swallows, for Gods sake. They weren't exactly going to bite you.
          Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
          Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
          -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Eastern Phoebe's.

My current pair are on their second nest on top a white column under our porch. They built one nest had 3 babies, now this new nest has 4 babies. One fell out yesterday and I put it back into the nest.

LOVE these birds. These are hard working parents, and appear to literally stuff their babies full of bugs. They have cleaned all bugs out under our porch, and the whole area. I saw one dive bomb and catch a bug just over my horse's back. It was great. They are well mannered birds, worthy of having nests.

These birds have a light peep. Both will sing feee-a-beeee in a high sweet pitch.

King birds do not build nests under over hangs like that. Also if they were king birds, there would be fussing non-stop. King birds are great parents and keep their babies a month or more after leaving the nest. They are great bug eaters too. We have a pair nesting near by and I can't wait for the babies to leave the nest then they go to a tree and call the parents to bring them food. They will move from tree to tree. Last year there were 5 babies. Loved them too. They were not ugly and nasty to us. It depends on alot of their nesting. The more crowded the area then they get aggressive. More open the much less if any.

Comment

Did that post by PiaffePlease seriously say her husband SHOT a pair of swallows?? God help the neighbor kids! I am flabbergasted.....
              Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

Definitely send the picture to Cornell and the will definitely help you ID them. Although the Phoebe pictures look pretty close.

We have barn swallows in the barn this year for the first time. I love them!! They are so pretty to watch and nowhere near as annoying as the house sparrows (or some other sparrow) that build their flimsy nests and drop their poor babies all over the place.

I try to help them out, but I draw the line at hand raising baby chicks.....

I didn't realize the swallows were protected but I'm glad they are. They are lovely birds.

Comment

All songbirds are federally protected as are, essentially, all types of birds not hunted with a license. You must have a permit to, for example, kill starlings on a farm if they are damaging crops.

So, what PP did as well as all those kids who shoot "Tweety" for fun are breaking the law...and are cruel, stupid people.
                  Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

Originally posted by JSwan View Post
                    Wow. They weigh about four ounces. How vicious could they be?
                    Now, JSwan, you know those swallows just lie in wait and then dive down and stab you repeatedly in the carotid with their vicious beaks. The violent attacks by golf ball sized songbirds have been documented for years and there is a trail of bodies left in the path of these fluffy denizens of death.

In all seriousness, that is a violation of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and I hope the nearest agency enforcement officer drives by this spring.
                    Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                    We Are Flying Solo

Comment

I love barn swallows, too. We have 6 nesting pairs every year - 3 under the eaves of our back porch, 1 on side porch and 2 on front porch. One is just outside our back door - so close that we walk directly under it every time we walk outside.

They are so used to us that there is not any swooping/attacking even to our GSD. And I love watching the babies grow and learn to fly. Here are a couple picks I took just now (one close up and one standing at my kitchen counter and shooting through the back door to show how close they are) and a couple I took of the same nest last week.
                      Attached Files
                      Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Comment

I love barn swallows also and have several nesting pair every year.

This year, I discovered something new calling the barn home - a pair of Cliff Swallows. Their nest is very unique (see pics). There are at least two babies in the nest (sort of hard to see in second pic).

It's fun to watch them and the parents are quite busy feeding them. (Plenty of bugs this year after the mild winter!)

I'm just hoping they mature well and fly away without incident. The nest is right above an area where the horses come and go into the barn ... and there are also the barn cats.

Miss the owls that used to nest in the silo; think the nasty pigeons ran them out.
                        Attached Files

Comment

We have birds around here (Missouri) that make nests like that--I think they're juncos (dark-eyed junco?). Sparrow-size, with dark gray backs, slightly darker heads, and light gray chests.

Comment

I can tell you that I have had several Phoebes build nest in eaves and similar spots. If the adults bob their tails then perched, they are Phoebes.

Comment

Calvincrowe- I want to correct something you said- because it's really important to me- you DO NOT need a permit to kill starlings- (or English House Sparrows) That's because they are non-native invasive birds. Our native songbirds who are cavity nesters have taken a big hit from the introduction of these birds, as they did not evolve with defense strategies for competing with them. If you want to develop the best, safest enviornment around your farm for native birds- you will work to erradicate starlings and English house sparrows (not all sparrows are invasive- you need to learn to ID the english house sparrow). Everything else you said about federal protection for all wild birds unless they have a specific hunting season (crows, ducks) is 100% true!! (it's possible that some mass starling erradication methods do require a permit- maybe that is the source of confusion- but if you have a pair of starlings nesting in your eaves- you can kill them)

LavendarFarm- I am SOOOO excited to see the pictures of your cliff swallow nests. Can I ask where you are located? What state- and what the terrain near you is like- are there any large bodies of water? Is there anything special about your barn or farm that you think caused the cliff swallows to take up residence there? Cliff swallows are abundant near me on the Ohio river they nest in huge colonies under bridges and at each road overpass that crosses a backwater creek- (fun when you are canoeing) but I have never heard of them living in a barn. I am so jealous of your beautiful treasure!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by LavenderFarm View Post
                                I love barn swallows also and have several nesting pair every year.

This year, I discovered something new calling the barn home - a pair of Cliff Swallows. Their nest is very unique (see pics). There are at least two babies in the nest (sort of hard to see in second pic).

It's fun to watch them and the parents are quite busy feeding them. (Plenty of bugs this year after the mild winter!)

I'm just hoping they mature well and fly away without incident. The nest is right above an area where the horses come and go into the barn ... and there are also the barn cats.

Miss the owls that used to nest in the silo; think the nasty pigeons ran them out.
                                Those nests are cool!

I'd love a pair of barn owls. I have a big loft that I never even go into. They could have the whole thing.
                                "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Comment

Plainandtall - I'm in the Shenandoah Valley of VA. There is a "river" (not very wide or deep) just across the road from me, but it has trees on either side and no bridges close by. I was told by a local who is very well known for his bird knowledge that Cliff Swallows are declining in numbers on the east coast - reason unknown. He's out and about all over the Valley a LOT and has seen only about 10 this year.

Attaching another pic showing a bit of the adult marking - the white on the head is a key identifying feature.

The barn is large and very old. Where the nest is is a huge run-in area under an extension added many years ago to the original barn. My horses hang out there and it provides wonderful shelter for them. There are stalls under the main part of the barn. This is not your picture-perfect center aisle barn for sure!

I've no idea why these birds choose to nest here this year but I am thoroughly enjoying them and hope they and their offspring will return next spring. Wish I could put a net under the nest to protect the babies if they fall out instead of fly out. They are apparently rare enough here that if I find one out of the nest, I'll take it to the local wildlife center that specializes in rehabbing and releasing birds (mostly prey type, but they do it all).

Alabama - I really miss the owls. I don't even hear them hunting in the evenings any more, so don't know what happened to them. Back when I was still breeding, I slept in the barn on foal watch. I would lie in my cot to the sound of the owlets making noise as the parents came to feed them and awake to the sound of the barn swallow babies being fed. It was very relaxing.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

I did not know that they were protected and I did feel bad killing them. I feel even worse now, knowing that they are protected. I feel like they were trying to hurt us. It had nothing to do with the cars in the carport, it had to do with them relentlessly flying at our heads. I tried for over a month to get them to leave humanely. I'm sorry I have "disgusted" some of you. Wouldn't you kill an animal that threatened you? Sorry to the OP that my post has made your thread go off course.
                                    Last edited by PiaffePlease; Jun. 17, 2012, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Firstly, I HATE starlings. They are mean nasty birds and in my last barn, killed all my baby barn swallows. Death to starlings.

Secondly, I'm lucky enough to see both cliff swallows and barn swallows at my current barn. Even though the BO and her DH knock down nests in the barn... Her cat food is attracting something, not starlings but something equally messy and noisy. Lighter brown, about the same size. Irritating little creeps.

PiaffePlease, don't worry, COTH loves to lambast all those who do anything remotely negative towards any animals. Because they don't spread slug bait or trap mice (I heart slugs). Not that I'm condoning your DH shooting swallows Next to killdeer, they are my favorite little bird, like dolphins in the sky. Always happy, always busy.
                                      COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

Originally posted by PiaffePlease View Post
                                        I did not know that they were protected and I did feel bad killing them. I feel even worse now, knowing that they are protected. I feel like they were trying to hurt us. It had nothing to do with the cars in the carport, it had to do with them relentlessly flying at our heads. I tried for over a month to get them to leave humanely. I'm sorry I have "disgusted" some of you. Wouldn't you kill an animal that threatened you? Sorry to the OP that my post has made your thread go off course.
                                        What a crock. It's a teeny tiny little bird that eats bugs. Really? It was going to hurt you? What was it going to do, tear at you with its fangs and talons? Carry off your children?

Give me a break. Next time there is a bird in your carport just use the friggin front door. And if you're tempted to blow away protected species, you might want to google the prison term first.
                                        Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                                        Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                                        -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

This is a mama bird to respect

Now THIS mama bird might create cause for concern but then she's a bird of prey and has the talons to prove it.. the workers are wearing protective clothing and get the banding done as quickly as possible. http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/82566737/

We have always had a decorative grapevine wreath on our front door.. and most years somebody chooses to use it for a nest. We just detour through another door and when the babies fledge, we hose off the porch.

The only bird who got aggressive was a mama robin whose baby fell out of the nest, and I was putting baby back in - my then 5 yr old daughter waved a broom around so I could get the job done.

Comment

Working...
                                          X