• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Guinea Hens - where do they come from?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guinea Hens - where do they come from?

Had a baby guinea hen come running out of the field into the yard as I was grazing my gelding today. Old enough to have feathers. Anyone care to explain where this thing came from? Does the tree out back grow them? Did it come baled in the roundbale They certainly don't hatch out of eggs from other guineas.

It started sqauwking and my gelding was less then amused with it. He gave it the stink eye and was a little annoyed and wanted to know what I brought home. Told him I didn't do it and I was just about as thrilled. I know they eat ticks. But my chickens were doing just fine with that. The last guinea hen here got kidnapped and left at another farm with other guineas. This one looks confused and lost like it just fell out of the sky. Is this some kind of joke that someone is playing on me?
    Derby Lyn Farms Website

Derby Lyn Farms on Facebook!

Sounds like an alien abductee that was just returned to your farm. Any strange circles appearing in your pasture?
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Comment

• Original Poster

Yes, many strange circles where the grass is burnt and the horses won't eat the grass around it. Very possible it is alien related.
      Derby Lyn Farms Website

Comment

I want it! I'd get some guinea chicks if I thought the cats would leave them alone. As it is, I'm left with having to lure the neighbor's grown ones over. I think they're funny as h#ll!
        "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Comment

• Original Poster

The cats are leaving it alone. I think if it were smaller they would eat it. It's got feathers and lost the chick fuzz already. If it is around tomorrow I will get a pic. I have some smaller hens about the same age that it is trying to hang out with but they aren't really going for it. I think they are getting the alien vibe from it too. If it is here tomorrow Alabama I will box it up and ship it ASAP!
          Derby Lyn Farms Website

Comment

Send it on! LOL! I love them despite being cranky about most noisy things.

My outside cats are so funny when the neighbor's guineas come visit. They look both horrified and fascinated - but the birds are just too big (and probably too scary) for them to attack. These cats regularly kill squirrels so I'm not sure baby/small chicks would make out too well. Who knows? Do the babies make the same kind of noise the grown ones do? That might put the cats off!
            "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Comment

They do come from outer space.

Mars to be exact.

Even Looney Tunes knew that:

Tell me that's not a guinea hen....
              You jump in the saddle,
              Hold onto the bridle!
              Jump in the line!
              ...Belefonte

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by MistyBlue View Post
                They do come from outer space.

Mars to be exact.

Even Looney Tunes knew that:

Tell me that's not a guinea hen....
                LOL! That is exactly what this thing looks like. Face expression and all!
                Derby Lyn Farms Website

Comment

Originally posted by alabama View Post
                  My outside cats are so funny when the neighbor's guineas come visit. They look both horrified and fascinated - but the birds are just too big (and probably too scary) for them to attack. These cats regularly kill squirrels so I'm not sure baby/small chicks would make out too well. Who knows? Do the babies make the same kind of noise the grown ones do? That might put the cats off!
                  My formerly vagrant-turned-permanent-houseguest guineas hatched a nest of 11 babies. The cats left them alone, and my cats regularly kill full-sized squirrels, bats, big birds, etc. (i.e. they are KILLERS). Maybe they wouldn't have if there hadn't been (stupidly un-) vigilant parents around all of the time, but the babies got eaten/squashed/picked up by other things (owls, eagles, coyotes, coons)......just not the cats. And I know this because a bunch of them made it to 6-ish weeks of age (at which point they look like a small adult and can fly - kind of) and were living in the trees at night. I'm pretty sure it was one of our resident owls who picked them off one after another.

But no problem with my [usually murderous] cats.

Comment

• Original Poster

....And it is gone. Maybe I am the crazy one? Maybe the guinea was never even here. I haven't seen the thing all day. Now I feel kind of bad.

ETA: I don't feel that bad because I didn't go out of my way to look for it. But I did not hear it anywhere.
                    Derby Lyn Farms Website

Comment

I arrived at the barn last year to find a guinea hen running around the pasture. Since the barn is in the middle of the city it was a little concerning. I texted my BM and asked her when she bought the Emu and she was quite surprised.

It eventually left and went back down the block to people who owned an acre in their backyard and were raising them.

Something similar happened when I found a chicken in the indoor arena. In pieces. I assume something caught it at the place down the road, and then drug it all the way to the barn, and inside the indoor to eat it. Why I have no idea. It was a big chicken.
                      http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I was a little concerned for my neighbor's guineas as at first I had seen a herd of five of them but lately only two. I thought some might have been picked off. Nope. All five showed up and breakfasted (sp) on the bird seed I put out for them! Yea! My evil plan of guinea luring is well underway.

Comment

Personally I think they come from hell. Just wait until the 5 turns to 30. Try to have a conversation with someone with the guineas yammering and all you'll be able to do is watch each other's lips move.

We were invaded by the neighbor's guineas this spring and now I'm cheering on the gray fox who has started picking them off. Peace!

Comment

My dad had a huge flock of them when I was a kid and I did find them a bit alarming then. I don't know, though. I'm really enjoying these. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that they eat ticks. I'm tick phobic so anything that kills/eats ticks is thumbs up in my book!

I don't have many visitors anyway so the noise doesn't bother me which is shocking to my SO because I am VERY noise sensitive. The fact of the tick eating plus my outside cats' obvious horror just tips the scale in their favor. They might all be hens, as far as I know. The second year I was here, I saw the same (I think) five but they had escaped their coop. Now I think he's turned them out to wander. Probably hates them and their noise. LOL!

Comment

The noise IS probably why my neighbors turned theirs loose. lol

In spite of the guineas the ticks are still bad here, due to the mild winter. While I loved the weather we had last winter and this year so far, the ticks are baaad. We've lived on our farm for 15 years and I've never experienced anything like it.

Comment

grayarabpony, do you have a lot of oak trees? I keep hearing about lots of ticks, but we have few oaks around. There was a bumper crop of acorns in 2010, therefore a bumper crop of mice (interim host for ticks) in 2011. This year fewer mice, so ticks looking for a host.

Comment

Some oak trees, but mostly red maples (which we have cut down around the pastures), Loblolly pines and tulip poplars.

Comment

Originally posted by Derby Lyn Farms View Post
                                    Had a baby guinea hen come running out of the field into the yard as I was grazing my gelding today. Old enough to have feathers. Anyone care to explain where this thing came from? Does the tree out back grow them? Did it come baled in the roundbale They certainly don't hatch out of eggs from other guineas.

It started sqauwking and my gelding was less then amused with it. He gave it the stink eye and was a little annoyed and wanted to know what I brought home. Told him I didn't do it and I was just about as thrilled. I know they eat ticks. But my chickens were doing just fine with that. The last guinea hen here got kidnapped and left at another farm with other guineas. This one looks confused and lost like it just fell out of the sky. Is this some kind of joke that someone is playing on me?
                                    From my understanding of my friends ginnie's they never stay in their own yard until night time. If you do not own ginnie's then they are from the neighbors.

Odd birds they are.

Yes they can hatch from other birds. Might have been dropped off from a neighbor or a passerby. Kinda like how people drop off dogs or cats to neighbor's who appear to be in need of a new pet.

Comment

• Original Poster

Eek! So maybe I am loosing my mind. A few days ago, about a mile down the road, I had to stop to let 2 guineas run across the road. One of them was white, is this even possible? Then yesterday, out of my field and across the road runs 2 baby guineas!!!! Smaller then the 1 spotted in my yard. This is insane. I think they are over taking the area and are wild ones that got loose from the neighbors from previous years.
                                      Derby Lyn Farms Website

Comment

I love my guineas! I have 2 who have been here about a year (started with 4). Got another young adult one from a friend, and bought 6 babies. One baby met an untimely end due to a fan but otherwise they have grown up nicely and we just turned them loose a few days ago, so far they are hanging around.

I, too, don't usually like noisy things, but these birds are too stupid and too funny, I love them. The 2 original ones run up to any car that shows up, and love to stare at themselves in the hubcaps. Those two are males and only sqwauk at new or strange things.

Sadly, one of the babies is a female and is OBNOXIOUS. She is constantly yelling, for no apparent reason. If I could catch her, I would probably eat her myself.

For whoever was wondering if it's a girl or boy guinea, they make different sounds. The male's sound is singular, like ACK-ACK-ACK, while the female makes a double sound, ack-ACK ack-ACK ack-ACK. Or so I'm told. I think you can search on YouTube and find examples of the two.
                                        Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X