• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Dogs & Pigs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogs & Pigs

As my son said last weekend, "there is ALWAYS something new going on at the farm!".

Latest is that the neighbor's pet pig (Patty) has decided she wants to live in my barn. She is a total escape artist and has been getting out of her pen and coming to my house every day for the past week. The neighbor will come and get her, but inevitably the pig shows back up.

I don't really mind. The horses are now used to her and she really is just a pet. She loves to be scratched and likes to wallow around in my pond and cleans up any spilled grain in the stalls. She is also very used to dogs and cats, and doesn't really pay much attention to them.

My question is about my dogs and their reaction to her.

The older dog does not care for her (he doesn't know WHAT that IS!!), but just follows her around as if he is keeping an eye on her. If we pet her when the dog is around, he gives her a warning snap - curled lip and a small snap. She will let out a loud GRUNT and he then backs off and goes back to following her around. We also correct him - NO BITE - and he backs down.

The younger dog is too curious for his own good and I am not sure how things could end up.

Not knowing much about BIG pigs, what can I expect from her if he gets too close, to curious, or even snaps at her? Do pigs fight back, run away, attack? Just looking for a little pig insight.

THANKS!!
    Member of My Balance is Poo Poo Clique

They will fight back and "roll" the offender. They could do damage to a dog if they have to. We have full size pigs (we raise show pigs) and our pigs do not aggresively pursue any other animals, but I do think they would defend themselves if attacked.
    "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

I think it depends on the pig. Some will run, others will attack. A pig can do some serious damage if it attacks, those tusks are sharp and they are strong and fast. I sometimes petsit two pigs. One (young male) runs from confrontation, the other is an old sow, and she charges me if I do something that pisses her off.

Regardless of whether it runs or attacks, the pig will scream bloody murder loud enough to be heard for several miles

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks so much!!

This sow is really domesticated. She was raised inside the owners house with dogs and cats. Outside there are goats, another pig, and horses. My animals don't really bother her - she mostly ignores them.

So today she and the older dog wandered down to our pond. She walked in and got wet, he went swimming. When done, they both came back up to the barn. Buddies maybe?

This morning when I left for work I was curious if she was back. I walked to the barn door and called out "Good morning Patty Pig! Are you here?" She responded with an oinking grunt and went back to scavenging the dropped pieces of grain.

I have chased her out of the barn before and she does not charge. Yelling her name is a mean tone gets her attention and she runs away. She doesn't seem interested in confrontation, just FOOD.

And she is NOT lazy - she is always on the move, walking around the farm. When she does get tired, she goes into my small barn aisle and takes a nap.

So I guess I just need to keep a close eye on things until her owners can figure out how to keep her enclosed.

It's always sumpthin' roun' heya!

Comment

Congratulations in your new addition

Comment

It sounds like you kind of enjoy having her around! You're going to miss her when the owners figure out how to keep her home!
            "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Comment

Our pigs are denizens of destruction, but they can be quite fun to have around. Acouple of them used to sit for treats, and one would lean up against you looking for belly rubs, like a dog. That got interesting once she got heavier than we were.

As long as she doesn't start rooting you'll be good I think.
              Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
              Incredible Invisible

Comment

I asked this question in Off Course and only got a couple responses. Anybody have an experience with donkeys and pigs pastured together?

Comment

I have a friend who has pot belly pigs in with her horses. They even share stalls at times and she has never had a problem with them being mixed. I think it also depends on the horses- I have two cutting horses who were trained on cattle and goats and they tend to want to chase animals that are smaller than them.

Another issue with pastured pigs is that they do like to root and can make quite a mess of a pasture.
                  "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

We have a PB Pig. LOVES to go to the barn but we don't let her very often since she will consume whatever alfalfa she can get a hold of. That means an overweight piggy with a belly ache from eating too much.

For the most part she stays away from the horses. She does however recognize each horse individually which just amazes me. She will approach 3 of the horses from the fence side an touch noses if they let her. She will not go near one of the mare- which can be aggressive at times. Smart smart smart pig.

As to dogs- some pigs will protect themselves and charge at dogs. Pigs can bite and HURT. They will also plow dogs over. Of course pigs and dogs have different behaviors and communicating skills which can lead to an escalation quickly if things start to go wrong.

As to Donkeys- I would be hesitant to let them mingle unless I was pretty confident that they would be fine together.

Comment

Originally posted by shireluver View Post
                      I asked this question in Off Course and only got a couple responses. Anybody have an experience with donkeys and pigs pastured together?
                      The neighbor's donkey has visited us from time to time and there seem to be no issues but I can't say they are pastured together, more like on other sides of the fence. They seem more to ignore each other than anything else.
                      Both my Saddlebred horses were unimpressed by the pigs and have been pastured with them (sort of accidentally). My next door neighbor's mares however, thought they were some sort of short legged freaks and took weeks to get over the spooking and snorting.
                      Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                      Incredible Invisible

Comment

Pigs can actually learn to manipulate a joystick and comprehend that what they see on a screen corresponds to how they move the stick.

This is something dogs can't figure out. Apes can.

Does that help?
                        Ring the bells that still can ring
                        Forget your perfect offering
                        There is a crack in everything
                        That's how the light gets in.

Comment

Just make sure you have a sign clearly stating that you don't rent pigs
                          Originally posted by The Saddle
                          Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

Comment

Originally posted by MelantheLLC View Post
                            Pigs can actually learn to manipulate a joystick and comprehend that what they see on a screen corresponds to how they move the stick.

This is something dogs can't figure out. Apes can.

Does that help?

I was just talking to a friend this weekend about how it blows my mind that one of our largest "consumption" animals is also one of our most intelligent.

Comment

• Original Poster

Mr. Big Dog and Miss Pig had a fight last night. Miss Pig declared the barn aisle HER territory and chased the dog out of the barn. He took it for a few seconds and pushed her back. I heard awful noises and saw them checking each other (like hockey players) and the dog was flashing his teeth. I called him off (Thank God he listens well!) and ran her off. No wounds, but it scared me a bit, as it could have very easily escalated. So now when I see Miss Pig in the barn aisle, I run her out. It is the dog's farm, not hers.

Her owner came over to get her yesterday afternoon but couldn't find her. Miss Pig came back in the evening then disappeared when I ran her off after their fight. Of course, she was back this morning during feeding time, and again I ran her out of the barn aisle. She and Big Dog didn't have any issues, but I ran interference.

While we are quite entertained by having a pig at the farm and I really look forward to her antics, I need to be able to know that ALL of our animals peacefully co-exist. I already have 2 dogs that do not get along, and live via Crate & Rotate. I don't need the added stress or responsiblity or vet bill if something goes wrong. It could have gone horribly wrong last night - I don't want to know what could have happened. If it would have been the other dog, one of them would have seriously been hurt at best.

Owner is coming over this morning to take her home to her new reinforced pen. If she doesn't stay put, she will find Miss Pig a new home.

The saga continues.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Tag View Post
                                I was just talking to a friend this weekend about how it blows my mind that one of our largest "consumption" animals is also one of our most intelligent.
                                And because I know of such pig intelligence first hand- was the tipping point for me going veggie (then vegan). Just can't think about the thousands- nay millions of pigs kept in factory farming conditions.

My pig is literally the 3rd child in the family. I can't even begin to describe what she can do, all the different words she recognizes and responds to, and the depth of her personality in comparison to dogs/cats/horses.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallHerd View Post
                                  Mr. Big Dog and Miss Pig had a fight last night. Miss Pig declared the barn aisle HER territory and chased the dog out of the barn. He took it for a few seconds and pushed her back. I heard awful noises and saw them checking each other (like hockey players) and the dog was flashing his teeth. I called him off (Thank God he listens well!) and ran her off. No wounds, but it scared me a bit, as it could have very easily escalated. So now when I see Miss Pig in the barn aisle, I run her out. It is the dog's farm, not hers.

Her owner came over to get her yesterday afternoon but couldn't find her. Miss Pig came back in the evening then disappeared when I ran her off after their fight. Of course, she was back this morning during feeding time, and again I ran her out of the barn aisle. She and Big Dog didn't have any issues, but I ran interference.

While we are quite entertained by having a pig at the farm and I really look forward to her antics, I need to be able to know that ALL of our animals peacefully co-exist. I already have 2 dogs that do not get along, and live via Crate & Rotate. I don't need the added stress or responsiblity or vet bill if something goes wrong. It could have gone horribly wrong last night - I don't want to know what could have happened. If it would have been the other dog, one of them would have seriously been hurt at best.

Owner is coming over this morning to take her home to her new reinforced pen. If she doesn't stay put, she will find Miss Pig a new home.

The saga continues.
                                  Yes, the dog issue can be tricky. You are so right in asking her owners to reinforce their fencing and keep pig to the right yard. My pig definitely has 'her areas'- like her own bed and part of the yard. Like a 2yo with their favorite toy, she will pitch a fit if one of the dogs uses her bed.

I would not feel comfortable letting my pig roam around... they can get into trouble so easily.

Comment

• Original Poster

Just an update . . .

Miss Pig has been home for a few days, and I have not seen her at all. Her new reinforced area must be working! Whew!

Comment

we have a potbelly female who came to us because she jumped out and wandered off down a busy road when her former owners were off their farm. We are on a quiet road and have a looong driveway,so when she goes visiting it is safer. She is highly social,and if there isn't much action at our barn she visits the neighbors. Gets on great with our dogs and horses,tho some visiting horses are frightened at the sight of her. While the pig we had growing up--regular size,had a nose ring to prevent rooting,this PBP doesn't seem to root,and she too is "free range".She generally sleeps with one of her favorite horses in the stall. She is partial to tall dark and handsome geldings,and has made flower bedecked bowers in the corner of her favorite's stall.Great at cleaning up spilled grain. Gentle.

Comment

Working...
                                      X