• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

SLUGS! HELP ME!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLUGS! HELP ME!

The pasture where my horses are is moderately wet in areas. The slugs are out of control! I can't keep them out of the water tub, they get in their rubber feed pans and dry up in the sun, then I have to flick them out.

1) Is there concern about the horses' health because of the slugs???

2) How to deter them from going in the water, or maybe just vacationing somewhere else???

It's a multiple acre field, it's not like a small paddock.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Surround the tub with a ring of diatomaeceous earth (purchase at garden store). Reapply after hard rain.

It shreds their tummies.

If you want to kill a whole bunch of them, go out in the evening, especially after a rain with a big salt shaker. Salt melts them.
    ::Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you::

Comment

Beer. In little bowls or plastic dishes you don't mind chucking afterwards.

Apparently they just loooove beer, and are dumb enough to literally drown their sorrows in it. Had great success with slug problem at my Oma's house with this. She loved her garden, so did the slugs. Set out a few dishes of beer, soon no more slugs.

And salt.
      Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
      RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
      RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
      RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

Comment

A big ditto on the beer. And salt. Yuck.
        What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Comment

Ditto on the salt and/or diatomaeceous earth. My horses would just drink the beer
          "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Comment

If you have gum tree seed balls, put those around areas where you don't want slugs --- same thing happens as with the diatomaeceous earth --- it shreds their slimy bellies. Beer works well, and putting salt on them, well, it's gross because they slime themselves to death, but can be very satisfying if they are driving you nuts!

Comment

• Original Poster

Are there any health concerns for the horses?

Comment

Originally posted by Donkaloosa View Post
                and putting salt on them, well, it's gross because they slime themselves to death, but can be very satisfying if they are driving you nuts!
                Or driveways/parking areas are lined with about 150 RR Ties. The slugs live in the spike holes etc. After a rainstorm, we go out and kill them. After two years there is a significant decrease in numbers. We make one round, then when the stragglers come out to eat the foamy remains of the first batch, we salt those too!

Originally posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
                Are there any health concerns for the horses?
                Not that I'm aware of. Just gross and annoying.
                ::Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you::

Comment

I hear ducks like them.

But as far as I know there are no health concerns around slugs.

As long as they are around the water trof, not too bad. I thought they had invaded your garden. They can decimate certain plants!
                  Originally posted by BigMama1
                  Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                  GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Originally posted by EquineImagined View Post
                    Beer. In little bowls or plastic dishes you don't mind chucking afterwards.

Apparently they just loooove beer, and are dumb enough to literally drown their sorrows in it. Had great success with slug problem at my Oma's house with this. She loved her garden, so did the slugs. Set out a few dishes of beer, soon no more slugs.

And salt.
                    Mom used to by beer for slugs. Since she was a preachers wife the biddys in the store looked shocked.
                    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Comment

When I hear my electric fence shorting out it is usually a slug has crawled up there and fried itself.

Comment

You can also put copper banding around water tubs and such. I doubt that the slugs themselves would cause any problem for the horses, since we eat snails without any physical harm. If the dead, dried ones are covered with salt, they might make crunchy snacks for the horses - and they can wash them down with the beer.

Comment

Health concerns

My horse got Potomoc Horse Fever last fall (rare in my area), and the vet said that the slugs could have passed it to the horse after he ingested one. I had lots of slugs in my pasture last year, and this year is even worse!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by cgn38 View Post
                            My horse got Potomoc Horse Fever last fall (rare in my area), and the vet said that the slugs could have passed it to the horse after he ingested one. I had lots of slugs in my pasture last year, and this year is even worse!
                            ^ This is what I was worried about!

Can I just buy cheap salt by the bag at like Tractor Supply, and sprinkle it everywhere in the location of their water tub and feed dishes? They are so disgusting.

Comment

EEEWWW Jingles for the SLUGS to slim away and DIE !

EEEWWW Jingles for the SLUGS to slim away and DIE !
                              Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

Originally posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
                                ^ This is what I was worried about!

Can I just buy cheap salt by the bag at like Tractor Supply, and sprinkle it everywhere in the location of their water tub and feed dishes? They are so disgusting.

Salt does damage the vegetation if used in large amounts. Plus it will disolve rather quickly.

However, you won't need THAT much, salt is cheap enough were you can buy a box at the grocery store.

Sand, sawdust and copper wire are more permanent.
                                Originally posted by BigMama1
                                Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                                GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

I found a ziplock bag filled with a beer placed inside of a glass container - like a mason jar and hand picking the slugs worked best.. i would usually use a stick to pick up the slugs and then slide it along the rim of the glass inside the ziplock bag and the slug slides right in. the cool thing is after you have picked the slugs up, you can zip up the bag and throw it out.. leaving beer bowls etc on the ground works, but i found my lab would drink the beer even with the dead slugs in it.. sorry that was just too too much for me.. eewww

Comment

I used to have the neighborhood kids out slug hunting at dusk armed with flashlights and spray bottles of vinegar. Vinegar will kill them too...I didn't want that much salt in my garden.

Comment

I've heard pennies work for your garden, I'm about to try it because they are eating away at everything. I wonder if you could take $5 worth of pennies and sprinkle them around. I doubt the horses would eat them.

Comment

• Original Poster

Where I would be sprinkling salt I don't care if it kills the vegetation. It's just in their water/feed pan area near the gate. For the rest of the field the horses don't seem to mind the slugs so they can deal with them!

Comment

Working...
                                        X