• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Which Chevy for Light Hauling?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Chevy for Light Hauling?

I think I'm finally ready to take the plunge and purchase a truck and trailer. Unfortunately, I know NOTHING about the mechanics and requirements for hauling. Growing up, I learned to haul a 2H BP with my Dad's ancient 2500 Suburban. I can drive and truck and trailer, but the mechanics are a mystery.

Here are my interests along with some considerations:

This will be DH's primary driving vehicle, but he only puts on approximately 10,000miles a year at the very most. That is about to go down, as he has started driving a company car to and from work (15min drive). All vacations and road trips are taken in my car which is kinder on the MPG than DH's jeep.

I plan on hauling one horse once or twice a month, mostly local (3hr. drive max).

We do not currently own a horse trailer, but I am looking for a 2H BP or gooseneck. Nothing giant, no LQ, but a tack room would be nice.

4 Doors on the truck would be nice as well, or at least a second seat for the dog (no kids at this point).

I'm a Chevy girl...but I suppose I can stray to Ford.

So, which Chevy? 1500? 2500HD? Both truck and trailer would be used, preferably under 60,000miles for the truck and DH is requesting 07 and newer (not really a big deal to me though...but this will be HIS truck, I just get to borrow it).

I drove an older 1500 Chevy with an older heavy (steel) 2 horse gooseneck with 1 horse on board. It was only a short distance, but I'm not sure I would have been comfortable on the highway with it....so I'm guessing that older 1500's are out.

I hauled my 2 horse BP with 5 foot dressing room with a 2005 Chevy 1500. It has been from SC to TX and back several times as well as all over TX.

I just recently totaled both truck and trailer (not my fault) a guy ran a stop sign. So, I am on the truck search again. After talking to several dealers I am going back with a 1500 over the 2500HD due to it being my primary vehicle to drive and it will have the heavy duty towing package on it. I feel/felt quite comfortable hauling a 2 horse with the 1500. I have also had several dealers (both vehicle and trailer dealers) that have said the 1500 will pull a gooseneck that was a 2 horse.
    ~Soft hands, Strong legs, Quiet mind~

Comment

First let me say...that a dealer will tell you it can haul anything just so they can sell it.

I prefer to be over trucked than under and went with a 2500HD, but thats just me. We also have a 1500 and it can haul fine...that being said, stay away from the 4.8 engine...its trash and couldnt haul a mouse on a roller skate. If you chose the 1500 you want the 5.3...GMC also started offering a 6.2liter in their 1500's in...2010 maybe? You also want a FACTORY towing package on it.

Chevrolet also did not start offering a limited slip or locking rear end until 2011...so, if you look for a 2007 and up, make that a MUST HAVE...or always keep a tow strap with you, ask me how I know!!!

I will say that my 2007 HD has the 6.0 Liter and, up here I get an average of 16mpgs, on a long trip I can squeeze out 20mpgs....now with the trailer that promptly drops to 12mpgs, but the thing gets far better gas mileage than I ever expected it to.
      Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
      Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
      Green Alligator "Captain"

Comment

• Original Poster

Also, where can I learn about things like Axle Ratio and GCWR? How do I found out what a vehicle can really safely tow?

I would rather have too much truck than too little, so I'm thinking that the 2500 is the way to go. But what does HD actually give you?

I wish that the chevy website was less about marketing, and more about facts and education.

Comment

HD gives you a sturdier truck frame, generally a better rear end ratio and a better transmisson...my HD also came with a tactory tow brake system. You also need to think about tires...my HD had 10 ply towing rated tires...the 1500's come with regular street tires, something to think about as well. I also have bigger brakes.

Our 1500 is a 2005 and the HD is a 2007...we special ordered the 1500 with the same rear end the 2500 has but my HD has the bigger engine and an Allison Tranny....also, we can EASILY set the back bumper on the ground of the 1500 when a trailer is hooked up...the 2500 barely moves when loaded down to max weight, its stiffer...which means a less comfy ride, but a safer towing vehicle. I know we have easily maxed out the load range on my truck, and she hauls like a champ. Its just, well, bigger and beefier.

I am in no way saying you cant tow with a 1500, lots of people do, ours has been used many times...I would haul a light two horse with it.
          Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
          Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
          Green Alligator "Captain"

Comment

In my opinion, there is no such thing as "light hauling." Hauling is hauling and you need to be as prepared as you can (within reason) very time. So if you are going to buy a Chevy, buy the 2500 and give yourself the peace of mind knowing that you are not operating at the limits of anything.
            Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
            We Are Flying Solo

Comment

PM me with your email address OP, I have the Chevy towing guidelines for their trucks.
              ~Soft hands, Strong legs, Quiet mind~

Comment

I have a 2006 Chevy 1500 extra cab, 6.5 foot bed, 5.3L engine with the factory tow package, and it has hauled a heavy steel 2h bumper pull with a five foot dressing room through the mountains (granted, with only one horse, but with tons of equipment) with no problems. I recently upgraded my trailer to a much lighter aluminum skin, steel frame 2 horse slant bumper pull and it pulls effortlessly. The max towing on mine is 7700 GWV, I believe. With the steel trailer I imagine I was probably getting up around 6500 lbs with two horses loaded and full of equipment, but with my new trailer I don't think I'm in any danger of even reaching 6000 lbs.

Comment

LOVE my 2001 Chevy 2500 HD for my GN Featherlite 2 horse S/L. With 4' short wall and tiny LQ.
                  Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Comment

I bought a used 2007 Chevy 2500HD Diesel and I LOVE it. I use it to pull my 2 horse bumper pull and it's probably more truck than I need. I was sure glad to have it when we hauled across the country with it. The Rockies sure are steep!
                    www.saraalberni.com

Comment

Working...
                    X