• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Prescriptive Easement/Trespassing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prescriptive Easement/Trespassing

Has anyone dealt with this problem? I am going to consult an attorney, but it would be interesting to see other input on this topic. I bought a lot that is several acres in a subdivison with four lots. Two of them are developed. My neighbor to the north is using my long driveway to access his property. The subdivision road bounds his property on the east, but he has not put in a driveway to the subdivision road. He used to use access from a road on the west of his land, and he has a big main gate there. When I met him, I told him he could use the driveway for a while since I am not ready to build, but eventually he will have to build his own. He said he has no plans to put in a driveway right away because he has been very busy with work. He works in construction and owns heavy equipment.

I also sent him a letter stating that the driveway is on my land and he has permission to use it, but that I have a right to revoke that permission at any time. I sent a copy for him and his wife to sign and send back, acknowledging receipt of my letter. They have not sent back the letter so I will have to escalate the process. I believe he is trying to get a prescriptive easement, or legal right to use my driveway. I have aerial photos from the county that show the progression of use and rough dates of when he started using the road.

Has anyone dealt with this? What was your outcome? How long and involved was it?
    "Random capitAlization really Makes my day." -- AndNirina

It will depend on the local laws, and only your attorney can advise you about that. And it may depend on any easements in the property records too.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

Why don't you put up a perimeter fence to keep him off your property?

Comment

Hopefully you have a title insurance policy. If you got a loan for the purchase of the land, your bank would have required it as part of the closing. If you didn't get a loan, hopefully your RE attorney advised you to purchase an owners policy. If you have a policy the company will help you defend your rights.

I'd be contacting a real estate attorney ASAP. Maybe even investing in a gate and lock.

You could also go to the courthouse and get a copy of the deed for your lot. This would be where all easements would be recorded.

Comment

Echoing what was said above. It definitely varies by area, by type of land, etc. It also varies by if there are defined easements.

I would certainly want to cut this off if you think he's going to want to take heavy equipment up and down your driveway - our neighbors run a roofing business, and even the tar truck is incredibly annoying when it goes through on the rare morning I'm trying to sleep to 6am. In many cases you have to do this before a certain amount of time or it becomes an established easement, so you are correct to check into it asap.

Interestingly, the edge of my property has an easement for neighbors which was put in as the property was divided up. We're an island of land above flood plains, and it worked out so whoever divided up what used to be a cattle ranch had to put easements on some lots instead of roads because each lot had to be at least 4.13 acres, and making sure not even a corner of a lot was in flood plain made it far less expensive to insure.
          Originally posted by Silverbridge
          If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

The longer you let him "use the land right of way" the more legal rights he gains. Sometimes there is a time limit before you lose the ability to exclude him any more!! That old law of "We have always used it" is still in effect in many places, so they GET POSSESSION or permanent use of the property!!

I would be getting a gate and some fence up IMMEDIATELY. His problems are NOT YOUR PROBLEMS. You did "nice" with the form letter, no response. So now you NEED TO DO SOMETHING about it. He and family are NOT going to sign that letter. So you have to move things up with the gate and fence his access away. I might skip the gate, just make it an enclosed fence so he has to damage stuff to get in that way. Then you have "proof" that he was trespassing. Lawyer letter denying him access, delivered by the local Deputy, would be helpful too. Our local Sheriff's Dept does those kind of deliveries for a fee.

Don't wait or you will be VERY SORRY. Those time of use legal things can be short or long, and every day he uses it is going to count against you. Lawyer might suggest a 10day warning that road will be closed, to "be nice" and look good if he causes problems. I would be hopping right on this, quit being so "neighborly" because he is just using you. Go read the post on loaning equipment that never got returned or was damaged. Same thing for you.

Comment

Laws regarding land use vary tremendously from state to state, so your first step should be to consult a local attorney.

Since the subdivision road bounds his property elsewhere, he can't get a prescriptive easement (at least not in the way the law operates in my state) because that's an easement created out of need. If there were no other way to access his property, he would have an easement by prescription. But by your description, he has other access, just hasn't bothered to use it.

Also in my state, he would not gain any ownership or easement rights simply by using your property, no matter how long he did it, as long as you had identified it as your property and clearly stated that his use was by your permission.

However, in your state, things could be completely different. Consult an attorney, then set a deadline when your permissive use will end.

Comment

I agree with Goodhors, and an immediate solid fence, no trespassing signs, and when he pitches a fit tell him to hit the road.

And to address Hinderella's point-yes, you're right the laws really vary by state. A friend was under the mistaken impression that she and the hubby had to put the privacy fence way inside the property line (they didn't in that state, except on certain types of non-residential property), and for years the nice neighbor volunteered to mow with the big riding mower on the 4 foot wide strip on his side. Then they lost house, fence and all to a tornado, rebuilt, and the fence was at the very edge of their property. When the neighbor went ballistic about the fence location my friends got a survey, and told him that it was in the right place, and they needed all of the yard now. The next time they were at their attorney's office he told them that putting the fence in the previous position, and letting the neighbor maintain that land meant that in a couple more years the neighbor could have legally claimed the property, and judging from his reaction about the fence apparently had every intention of doing so.

Comment

go to an attorney that does real estate, laws very so much state by state and the sooner you do this the better, this guy is not your friend

Comment

Ditto the suggestions to get an attorney now, and please get one who practices a lot of land use - not just closings etc. Btw- in most states (if not all) it takes a few years of non permissive use for a perscriptive easement. Call an attorney ASAP!!
                    Unrepentant carb eater

Comment

[QUOTE=goodhors;6314152]The longer you let him "use the land right of way" the more legal rights he gains. Sometimes there is a time limit before you lose the ability to exclude him any more!! That old law of "We have always used it" is still in effect in many places, so they GET POSSESSION or permanent use of the property!!

^Can be so very true. You really need to find out your laws ASAP!
                      "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

Comment

Definitely consult an attorney - an experienced land use lawyer should be able to determine if you have anything to worry about after a short consultation.

BTW - a person can't obtain a 'prescriptive easement' if they are using property with the permission of the property owner - permission negates use of property in a manner 'hostile' to that of the owner (even if that permission is later revoked). IMO - The fact scenario you have presented doesn't seem to meet all the requirements for a prescriptive easement - but could be easement by use/necessity/deed.

Do you know if your deed contains an easement for this use?
                        Was your property and his property ever part of the same parcel?
                        How long has he been using your driveway?

Good luck - hope you can get a positive resolution

Comment

Originally posted by Hinderella View Post

Also in my state, he would not gain any ownership or easement rights simply by using your property, no matter how long he did it, as long as you had identified it as your property and clearly stated that his use was by your permission.
                          same here, they would have had to maintain the property and present it as theirs before any adverse possession would be enforced as the case law’s foundation is the “possessor of the property actually does possess it “

Comment

As previously stated, the law varies from state to state but in all states it generally requires a substantially period of TIME to elapse (along with other statutory requirements.) Someone else mentioned it but I would do two things: Put a fence/gate up to stop him from using the property and speak with a lawyer if there is a problem after that.

The gate/fence may resolve the whole issue and you would spend roughly the same as on a lawyer. "Fences make great neighbors!"

Comment

The main problem for me is that you have no real proof of when he started using the driveway, some with the photographs, but nothing in writing. I think your suspicion that you need to do something now is totally correct. It might be that you will fence the area you own off, and that will be the end of it, but if not I would add No Trespassing signs that agree with the legal requirements where you live, and hopefully he will get a clue and scrape a driveway on his side of the line.

Comment

Just a follow-up thought regarding the 'just put up a gate' suggestions - IF your neighbor does have a legal right to use your road, and you fence him out, then you could be in the wrong and he might have a legal case against you - and that would be bad

Probly worthwhile to find out who has the legal right to do what before taking any permanent action ...... and talk to the neighbor again in person (preferably in the company of others). Make your concern clear and let him know exactly what you want him to do/not do. Always better to resolve issues yourself, before you start bringing in the legalities....people can get really prickly (and more stubborn than usual) once attorneys are involved.

That said, I still think a legal consult to understand the legal issues for your own benefit would still be helpful - and if cost is a concern, you can check with your local bar association - sometimes the attorneys on their referral list will give you an initial consultation for free (or cheap).

Comment

I think the time for resolving matters on your own passed when he ignored your letter. I've twice hired an attorney to write a letter; it didn't cost very much and was very effective. A consultation would also give you a clear picture of the legalities, which you need to know immediately. Do not wait.
                                  They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

Comment

I'm dealing with a similar situation.

Assuming there is no easement, have they used your property for longer than five years? It gets more complicated if this is the case.

If not, then I'd resend the letter via certified/registered mail, return receipt. The letter should restate the revocable granting of access, like you did before (good!).

Also, I'd post "permission to pass granted by the owner" type signs, not "no trespassing" signs. The no trespassing signs may automatically invoke an adverse possession situation whereas granting permission is revocable.

Contact your title insurance company or an attorney for representation/advice.

Each county has different rules, from what I understand.

Comment

Something has gotten you concerned, so DON'T WASTE TIME!!! Obey that "little voice" that is telling you, "Danger, Will Robinson!"!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by HorsingRound View Post
                                        I'm dealing with a similar situation.

Assuming there is no easement, have they used your property for longer than five years? It gets more complicated if this is the case.

If not, then I'd resend the letter via certified/registered mail, return receipt. The letter should restate the revocable granting of access, like you did before (good!).

Also, I'd post "permission to pass granted by the owner" type signs, not "no trespassing" signs. The no trespassing signs may automatically invoke an adverse possession situation whereas granting permission is revocable.

Contact your title insurance company or an attorney for representation/advice.

Each county has different rules, from what I understand.
                                        Yay!!! I received my signed letter of permission, finally! He apologized for the delay and was very nice about it. I can now breathe a sigh of relief, and know my neighbor's intentions. As I said originally, I did not mind him using the driveway, I just did not want to incur or establish any rights on his part.

FWIW, I used the letter on this form suggested by the California Dept of Transportation as a model:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/row/landsur...Possession.pdf

I cannot stress how relieved I am. Thank you all for your advice.
                                        "Random capitAlization really Makes my day." -- AndNirina

Comment

Working...
                                        X