• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Big move to the south east- help on location!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big move to the south east- help on location!!

Husband getting transferred to the east coast. We have the choice of moving to FL, GA(has to be an hour from ATL), NC or SC. I am a professional and currently have a good business in northern IL. I want to move where business can rebuild easily. FL is a big pull for us bc family is there. But not sure if it's the smartest location wise(Tampa, Orlando area)

Opinions? Only requirement is to be within an hour of a major international airport.

I live in Florida, but I would vote for NC. tampa/Orlando is generally a big mess. (And it's coming our way...)

Comment

Well, what type of weather do you like? If you hate Winter, then you want FL or the Eastern parts of GA, NC, and SC, though GA and SC have less Winter than NC, except for the Mountains.

If you hate having 1.5 seasons, then don't choose FL

Are you bringing horses? Or getting them? Do you need to board or do you want your own place? How important is farm life?

Comment

• Original Poster

What do you mean big mess? And coming "our" way?

Comment

• Original Poster

JB. Im used to the midwest weather, so i think it will be quite an adjutment not having winter, but i will hve to deal and adapt. I need at LEAST 10 acres, not looking to board. I wil be buying or building a facility. I will be bringing 4-6 horses and buying more there. Wanting to know hay costs an pasture quality for FL.

Comment

Well, depending on what "Winter" means to you, while it's not going to be like the mid-West, here in NC, from the middle to the West, we do have SOME Winter LOL

You're going to have to talk about cost in terms of what you can afford (or want to afford) to spend on land. Right where I am, acreage is at least $10k/area right now. If you don't want to live within 30 minutes or so of "real" civilization, you can find it for a bit cheaper. If you want (or don't mind) the real boonies and pretty wooded, you can get to about $3k/acre.

Comment

Georgia is easily doable for what you want, need & can afford. You can easily be close enough to the big city for commute, yet be out on land sufficient to sustain your horses, with access to good trainers, hay suppliers, vets etc. Four seasons, with mild winters.
              <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

I second Georgia. There are some great deals to be had on land here within an hour of Atlanta. If you go north of Atlanta the temperature and humidity are much less than the southern part of the state. With all due respect to Florida residents you couldn't pay me to live there. Property taxes and insurance tend to be fairly high in FL but the high property taxes offset the lack of a state income tax somewhat. The FL soil tends to be sandy in many areas of the state and doesn't support good pastures. If you don't mind a little more winter consider the Carolinas too.
                Last edited by PRS; May. 15, 2012, 08:14 AM.
                "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Comment

Georgia is great! Land in West Ga can run anywhere from $2500.00-10,000 an acre. Lots of horsey areas and tons of dressage!

Comment

Hay is very pricey in Fla since it all has to be shipped in. I'm in South Fla, east coast and pay $18.00 for 80# bale of rich T&A, but it is really nice hay

Tampa area isn't bad for horses as long as you are east, south, or north of Tampa.

While our summers are beastly due to heat and humidity, from Nov to April, we have fantastic weather.

Comment

Originally posted by Heart's Journey View Post
                      Hay is very pricey in Fla since it all has to be shipped in. I'm in South Fla, east coast and pay $18.00 for 80# bale of rich T&A, but it is really nice hay

Tampa area isn't bad for horses as long as you are east, south, or north of Tampa.

While our summers are beastly due to heat and humidity, from Nov to April, we have fantastic weather.
                      LOL! Can't help myself....The only horses you're likely to find West of Tampa are Sea Horses!

"My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Comment

I'm a native Georgian and grew up and live on the South Side. The Newnan/Fayetteville/Peachtree City side of things is very horsey and good farms/land can be had and you will get more bang for your buck on the South side of things than the North. Population density is less and so is traffic but it is considered "less affluent" than say the Alpharetta/Forsyth County are.

It can get quite hot here too and the last few years we've started hitting 90s in May and it doesn't let up until October. It's also been pretty dry making the grazing situation frustrating. We are presently recovering from a 15" rain deficit but at least are getting good rain now. You have to have Alfalfa trucked in and at a premium. I've been paying $6.25 a bale for good coastal bermuda plus delivery. Round bales of coastal run $55. While both my husband and I were born and raised here, I doubt we'll stay here once retired and will likely move into the mountains someplace (TN/NC/GA) for a bit cooler and more distinct change of seasons.

Northern FL, specifically the Ocala area is great for horsekeeping but I don't know if that's close enough to the Orlando/Tampa area for you. Good luck with your choice.
                        Fat Cat Farm Sporthorses on Facebook
                        Fat Cat Farm Sporthorses Website and Blog

Comment

I've lived and kept horses at home in northern CA, south FL (Loxahatchee) and now central NC (Chapel Hill area). I can say hands down where I live now is the best for 1) land prices 2) ease of horse keeping (good grass, mild winters, affordable grain/hay prices) 3) access to dressage training and shows.

Where I am (30 minutes from CH) land is about 8-10K acre depending on location and lot size. There are some really nice farms and land for sale in my area. I have access to some really high qualty dressage trainers that bring in great clinicians as well. We have more shows within a 1.5-2hr drive (both rated and schooling) than I can feasibly attend. Most of the show grounds here are well above average.

I like that I am within driving distance to CH, Durham and Raleigh for the needs of civilization/ restaurants/ culture.

We also have great vets and farriers in our area.
                          Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
                          http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
                          http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

Comment

ga

Doesn't GA have a state income tax? That hits your retirement income.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you all for all the replies. The company is going to let us go look. So FL is our first stop bc as I said hubby has family there. Then I think GA or NC will be our next stop. Keep the comments coming. The good bad and the ugly

Comment

What about around Stuart FL? The area west of the turnpike has a lot of land, you would be close to West Palm Beach airport, lots of horse things out there, plus WEF isn't far, not as busy as Tampa.

Comment

Yes, GA does have a state income tax.
                                  Fat Cat Farm Sporthorses on Facebook
                                  Fat Cat Farm Sporthorses Website and Blog

Comment

A lot of flights originating or ending in the SE go through Atlanta, so if your husband travels a lot in his job, you may want to take that into consideration. I second the recommendation for the Newnan/Peachtree City area SW of Atlanta. Good prices on land and farms, smallish city (less traffic congestion but good shopping, restaurants, health care, etc.), and easy shot to the Atlanta airport. It is also fairly easy to get to the GA Horse Park in Conyers, where most of the big shows are, and to Poplar Place Farm near Columbus (really good dressage and eventing competitions).

The Alpharetta/Canton/Cumming area north of Atlanta has traditionally been quite horsey, but rampant development has run out a lot of horse people, and land/farm prices are significantly higher than south and west of Atlanta. And the traffic congestion is . On the plus side, we have some nice tack stores in Alpharetta, and lots of good clinics in the area.
                                    Last edited by DownYonder; May. 15, 2012, 08:00 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Movedto Ocala from the Midwest and love it. Lots of resources for the horses. Summers are no worse than the Midwest , just longer, but winters are heaven compared to midwest. Lots of farms available right now for good prices.just don't offer what they're asking.

Comment

Ocala is lovely, but not w/in an hour to Orlando airport. So if that's one of your criteria...
                                        I didn't read every post, but here's what I see in Central Florida (north of Orlando). There is lots of land available, some probably priced right, some not. Training wise, we have a number of trainers in the BROAD area, but I would seriously question the demand. Our local GMO struggles to fill dressage clinics, and none of the trainers are "full"; not sure about other disciplines. There does seem to be a fair amount of pony club type activity.

In addition to all the equine factors, be sure to consider the full tax impact. I moved from a state where I paid both state and local income taxes AND very high property taxes. I saved a BOATLOAD of money by moving down here.
                                        We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Comment

Working...
                                        X