• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Should I be worried about the neighbors red maple trees?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

No, no connection.

Comment

Exactly this ...

The maple family covers a LOT of ground, & most are harmless to horses. However, the "Red Maple" is extremely toxic, & it doesn't take a lot to fatally poison a horse.
      Here is a good article on the toxic red maples

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/...cts/06-109.htm

Because a maple has red leaves it doesnt mean its of the acer rubrum species

Our local TSC store had a terrific special on red maples. I bought 4 to plant along my paddocks for shade.

I THEN researched them and went $H!T!!! And up they came out of the ground 2 days later and back to TSC they went and I told the TSC staff they really needed to educate anyone buying them and warn them NOT to plant them anywhere horses are located

Maybe its a one in a million chance that my guys would have gotten sick from these leaves but it wasnt a chance I was willing to take either ...
      www.TrueColoursFarm.com
      www.truecoloursproducts.com

True Colours Farm on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by heavensdew View Post
        No, no connection.
        I was inquiring as to whther the poster who advocated killing trees on someone else's property was related, not you. (and it was somewhat tongue in cheek)

You sound like a concerned horseowner, not a potential vandal.
        "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

Is there a way to tell/test the maples to know for sure if they are toxic? We just realized there is a cherry tree in our pasture and want to take that down... we definitely have a few maple trees back there as well, but not 100% sure how to tell just by looking at the leaves.
          "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

Comment

If your horses have plenty to eat in their paddocks, they should not be interested at all in the maple leaves...

Comment

Originally posted by My3Sons View Post
              Any maple tree that gets a red vine in the leaf can be toxic...I had a green one removed because in the fall it would get a red vine.
              Acer rubrum aka "Red Maple" is the only maple that is toxic. Red Maple trees have green leaves (don't confuse them with a "purple maple" which has the dark purple colored leaves).

Of course all maple trees turn color in the fall so you have to really do your research to determine if a maple tree is in fact acer rubrum.

I have two red maples (along with some sugar maples and silver maples) that are on my fence line. They have been there for 30 years along with the horses.

Comment

Gosh. Have I been under a rock? I had no idea those were toxic to horses. I knew about black walnut. Maybe I've just never lived anywhere with a lot of red maples? I'll have to check that out. Interesting thread.
                A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

Originally posted by Ghazzu View Post
                  I was inquiring as to whther the poster who advocated killing trees on someone else's property was related, not you. (and it was somewhat tongue in cheek)

You sound like a concerned horseowner, not a potential vandal.
                  Pretty sure she meant she would have taken the trees down if she lived on that property: "would have been down in a sec if I lived there."
                  "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Comment

I have Red Maples in my pasture. I have 4. The leaves are toxic when they fall and begin to dry or for instance if a branch falls, etc. I make sure to get all the branches up as soon as they fall but I can't get every little leaf.
                    I do make sure to have a roll out there so they have hay 24/7 and no need to eat the leaves, and when the grass is growing i have nice grass. As long as they have something else to eat they should not show interest in the leaves. We have been here 10 years.
                    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Comment

I think that 25' setback requirement gives you an excellent place to plant fast growing, thorny, thick evergreens. Make your neighbors disappear, keep them off your land, keep their crap out of your fields--including maple leaves--and provide a nice shelter belt for wildlife.

I know if can be really tough to find good land close to town without a subdivision next door, but it's not something I would want to sign up for. There are entirely too many idiots out there

Comment

My horse ate the wilted leaves off a red maple limb back in June. The limb blew down from a neighbor's tree and landed in our pasture. I had no idea that the neighbor's trees were red maple, so I did not immediately remove the branch. My very well fed, 1600lb horse ate the red maple leaves despite having grass and hay in his pasture. The next day, he was quiet and ill appearing. He developed mild laminitis. Most of the hair on his face fell out so he was pretty bald. His gums were pale. Fortunately, he recovered.

I will be immediately removing any downed branches from the pasture in the future.

Comment

I realize you are talking about Red Maples, but since the point is toxic trees, and the Black Walnut has been mentioned, I just wanted to add the Black Locust to the list. These are real bad espescially the pods that drop in the fall. Its all about awareness, and threads like this are great.
                          Just like our eyes, our hearts have a way of adjusting to the dark.--Adam Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by OTTBcooper View Post
                            we definitely have a few maple trees back there as well, but not 100% sure how to tell just by looking at the leaves.
                            The link that Truecolors posted shows many types of maple tree leaves so you can do a quick comparison.

I do not think it is safe to say that if you feed them they will not eat them as a blanket statement. It really depends on the horse(s). Know your animals and know your trees and do what is necessary.

I had a very large red maple in my hedge row that would drop leaves in my dry lot. I had it removed. I own horses that like to eat things and are always on a diet. Leaves are yummy.

Comment

I'm going to go out on a limb (no pun intended!) and point out that many common trees have varying levels of toxicity to horses. The same goes for indigenous weeds, ornamental landscaping plants, etc.

You'll go crazy trying to avoid them all.

So long as your horses have plenty to nosh on, it's unlikely they'll eat the stray red maple leaves that blows into the pasture. It would not be a deal breaker for me-- I'd just keep an eye on the situation in the fall.
                              Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

Originally posted by Texarkana View Post
                                I'm going to go out on a limb (no pun intended!) and point out that many common trees have varying levels of toxicity to horses. The same goes for indigenous weeds, ornamental landscaping plants, etc.

You'll go crazy trying to avoid them all.

So long as your horses have plenty to nosh on, it's unlikely they'll eat the stray red maple leaves that blows into the pasture. It would not be a deal breaker for me-- I'd just keep an eye on the situation in the fall.
                                And you'll be saying that until one of your own horses eats something & becomes ill &/or dies that could have been avoided. Then you'll be back here singing another tune. Or perhaps not.

Err on the side of caution. My gang is well-fed, but we DO have Wild Cherry & Red Maple bordering the fenceline. And I DO go out & pick up/rake up wind-blown branches & leaves asap.

Wild Cherry & Red Maple toxicity isn't an old wive's tale - it's TOTALLY DOCUMENTED. Don't take the possibilities lightly, regardless of naysayers.

Comment

Originally posted by TrueColours View Post

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/...cts/06-109.htm

Because a maple has red leaves it doesnt mean its of the acer rubrum species
                                  Right...acer rubrum (aka Red Maple) has green leaves not red like the name suggests (of course they change color in fall).

In that article is the following statement:
                                  "Ingestion of wilted or partially dried red maple leaves from fallen or pruned branches causes lysis of the red blood cells with the subsequent development of a hemolytic anemia, which can be deadly."

This is what I've always been told...the wilted/dried leaves "from fallen or pruned branches" are toxic....not the natural dead leaves that fall after foliage season.

Comment

How old are the maples? If they've been newly planted or are fairly young you could simply explain to the neighbor that they're are a potential threat to your horses and offer to replace them with the non-toxic tree of their choice. Of course that won't fly if they're older mature trees.

Where I am they clear cut for subdivisions so most of the trees are just saplings. A fast growing Bradford Pear or something similar might be a good replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by Remington410 View Post
                                      How old are the maples? If they've been newly planted or are fairly young you could simply explain to the neighbor that they're are a potential threat to your horses and offer to replace them with the non-toxic tree of their choice. Of course that won't fly if they're older mature trees.

Where I am they clear cut for subdivisions so most of the trees are just saplings. A fast growing Bradford Pear or something similar might be a good replacement.
                                      I think that's going a bit too far. You can't expect your neighbors to dig up their landscaping simply because it doesn't jive with your horsekeeping. It's up to YOU to deal with the issue.

And as for replacing maples with Bradford Pears?? Lousy choice. Bradford pears are short-lived shallow-rooted trees that, while pretty in spring, are considered an over-used landscaping nuisance.

Comment

Originally posted by FalseImpression View Post
                                        If your horses have plenty to eat in their paddocks, they should not be interested at all in the maple leaves...
                                        You would think. However a year ago in the fall, my guys pushed down a fence to get to the neighbor's burning bush. Turns out they're mildly toxic. Three had the runs, but the fourth was very sick and ended up with laminitis. No one could believe it, my pasture looked like a golf course.

Comment

This thread is 9 months old....??
                                          Barn rat for life

Comment

Working...
                                          X