• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

911! Water+Carpeted Dressing Room=911

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 911! Water+Carpeted Dressing Room=911

How do I deal with this disaster before mold makes it a FEMA case?

The whole shebang is carpeted and pretty wet.

It will be hard to plug in a fan. Someone recommended Dry-Z-Air-- a little pod of dessicant things.

No indoor parking, so I can't open everything up. But DR does have a door from the horse part of the trailer and a covered skylight.

I'll give more details as you guys need. I'm just shell-shocked right now.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Yikes! How did it get so wet? If you have one I would try shopvac-ing it to see if that sucks up some of the water. You could drive it to one of those self car wash thingys if need be. I know you said it would be hard to plug in a fan but that would REALLY help!
    Originally posted by EquineImagined
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Comment

Would it work to rent one of those DYI carpet shampooers/cleaners? Not so much for the cleaning (although that might be a benefit since you're at it anyway) but to suck the water out of the carpet. I've used them on my home carpets and furniture and they do a pretty respectable job of sucking up the (dirty) water. I was surprised how dry they left things, a little time with a fan, if you can find a way to rig it, (maybe box fan w/ an extension cord) might dry things out pretty quickly; at least before the mold nasty take hold.

Good luck. (What on earth happened out of curiosity?)

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for your replies.

This went down yesterday. I was doing a favor for a friend and mare. Snow on the second day of spring in Oregon and I did 300 miles of highway driving.

There are no obvious leaks, but two front windows on the slanty nose of this thing. They have weep holes. Apparently, the water was blown in through those.

The shop vac looked like a good idea yesterday-- at 4 pm when I was never going to get back into our farm and took it to a neighbors for the night. Now the water has soaked in. This is thin, indoor/outdoor carpet over aluminum.

I'll keep you guys posted. If anyone else has ideas/experience, please let me know! I'm a tad fussy about my equipment.
        The armchair saddler
        Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Can you just pull the carpet and let it air dry? Otherwise, I would go to Rent-X or somewhere similar and rent a big fan to blow it dry over the course of a day or two. I had to do that to my house when it flooded due to a burst pipe. There has to be somewhere (a friend's house?) you can park and leave it for a couple days.

Comment

Moving air and sunlight on the carpet is the best treatment for soaked carpet. Use a shop vac to pull out as much moisture as you can then get a big fan blowing on it.

Comment

If you can get the carpet out, it might be easier to remove it, and hang it to dry.
              You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

The carpet in my trailer (also indoor/outdoor type over aluminum) was old and smelly. It was easier to rip it out, use the old piece as a template, and cut a new piece of carpet. Cost less than $30. The new carpet isn't glued down, but it is fit in nice and snugly, haven't had any problems. Can easily remove if something leaks! Might be easier than shop vac.

There is a product called Damp Rid that you can get where they sell motor home supplies. It sucks the moisture out of the air, and is designed for larger spaces.
                "Do your best, and leave the rest, twill all come right, some day or night" -Black Beauty

http://trails-and-trials-with-major.blogspot.com/

Comment

If this is a LQ trailer, the real problem might not just be the carpet. If the floor gets soaked it could damage the plywood underneath it and on top of the aluminum...

I had damaged the DR door and water was leaking in at the top (didn't realize it) and summer storms in South Fla can be torential downpours. I went into the trailer and there was a layer of water in the LQ - dried it up, but when I took it in for maintenance and to get the door fixed, the discovered the floor was mushy. Insurance paid to remove the bad floor and replace it, and a new skin on the DR door, but I still had the deductable to pay.

A Friend I was camping with recently, had the same result from an open window and it raining in...

Comment

Shamwows are worth their weight in gold in a situation like this, you might call around to wallmarts, or CVSs, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc, anyone that stocks "seen on TV" stuff.

Our townhouse is on a slab and the neighbor's washing machine flooded, flooding half of our living room and walk in closet.

I have a stash of Shamwows I'd bought in a moment of weakness years ago. I brought out the whole arsenal and laid them down and kept walking on them, then wringing them out, rinse/repeat. Took a few hours, but eventually got the carpet bone dry down to the cement. I was shocked how well they worked.

Get MANY, at least 4 of the big ones, they soak up water so well so fast you're constantly wringing.

If you can find bags made of mesh fine enough, you can also fill them with cheap plain white rice, tie them shut and leave them over the carpet overnight. Spread them out in a layer. Rice will soak up ambient moisture unbelievably well.
                    Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for your replies! I knew you guys could help/AKA have been through similar Biblical crises.

Originally posted by irish_horse View Post
                      The carpet in my trailer (also indoor/outdoor type over aluminum) was old and smelly. It was easier to rip it out, use the old piece as a template, and cut a new piece of carpet. Cost less than $30. The new carpet isn't glued down, but it is fit in nice and snugly, haven't had any problems. Can easily remove if something leaks! Might be easier than shop vac.

There is a product called Damp Rid that you can get where they sell motor home supplies. It sucks the moisture out of the air, and is designed for larger spaces.
                      The carpet is glued down-- straight onto an aluminum floor. But I'm not averse to peeling it up and replacing if that is the will of Allah. If He could also provide an attractive color for the replacement, I'd be girly gung-ho on it.

Originally posted by buck22 View Post
                      Shamwows are worth their weight in gold in a situation like this, you might call around to wallmarts, or CVSs, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc, anyone that stocks "seen on TV" stuff.

Our townhouse is on a slab and the neighbor's washing machine flooded, flooding half of our living room and walk in closet.

I have a stash of Shamwows I'd bought in a moment of weakness years ago. I brought out the whole arsenal and laid them down and kept walking on them, then wringing them out, rinse/repeat. Took a few hours, but eventually got the carpet bone dry down to the cement. I was shocked how well they worked.

Get MANY, at least 4 of the big ones, they soak up water so well so fast you're constantly wringing.

If you can find bags made of mesh fine enough, you can also fill them with cheap plain white rice, tie them shut and leave them over the carpet overnight. Spread them out in a layer. Rice will soak up ambient moisture unbelievably well.
                      Great ideas there, too! I can get some of those Shamwows. It would be a nice tribute to Billy Mays cheesy infomercials. Very American.

What about sprinkling rice loose over the carpet and shop-vac-ing it up afterwards? That might be the easiest, down-home solution ever.

I will try leaving the Dry-Z-Air pod in the DR after this crisis, just for general keeping-things-dry purposes here in the wet Willamette Valley. I'll let you guys know how that works.
                      The armchair saddler
                      Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Shop vac, and leave the door open...

Not sure if a light misting with a bleach based cleaning product would help or hurt.

Comment

Yes, lol, RIP Billy Mays, you were one of a kind. The new guy, "Vince" is his own special breed too it seems.

Originally posted by mvp View Post

What about sprinkling rice loose over the carpet and shop-vac-ing it up afterwards? That might be the easiest, down-home solution ever.
                          you could try but its not near as effective as shamwows, rice is more for soaking up ambient moisture - the last little bits that can mean the difference between smelling like grandma's basement or not - not a deluge. And you would have to be sure you got up every last little grain - which is a tall order - else mice will surely find them... and then perhaps your tack too.

Super dry hay, spread out, will also absorb some moisture, but then again, same as the rice, you need to get up every last seed head else you invite unwanted guests. And you need to get the damp hay out before it molds itself.

Rice and/or hay are the sorts of things you'd do after you've shamwowed your brains out and its miller time.
                          Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

• Original Poster

On shop vac-ing and Shamwows.

People, how wet does it have to be for these procedures?

150 miles in, when I opened the door for that "Oh, sh!t" moment, The carpet was soaked. But it was matte-looking.

300 miles (had to be back home), it was "Dude! I'm so not loving this"-- the water was shiny of the surface, meaning total saturation.

All but a trunk (on a stand) is out and the carpet is back to matte, but with a bigger lake of wet.

Am I past the shop-vac stage?

I'm not past the Shamwow stage, right?
                            The armchair saddler
                            Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

THey sell Shamwows and the imitation ones at Walmart, and I know Bed Bath & Beyond has them. And they work really well if you put them down in one layer all over, and then take turns standing on them. You can wash them in the regular washer (no fabric softener), and I think you can dry them in the dryer (they dry very quickly), but I think hanging them on a clothes line to dry would be better.
                              You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

Oil radiator heater on high after sucking water out with a shop vac and towel drying... Heat works wonders for drying
                                Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
                                http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Rehab has begun.

buck22, I was forced against my political will to go to WallyWorld for a fake shamwow. But damn that thing worked!

I did shop-vac first, on general principles, but then the shamwow thing really went to work.

Now I have a box fan and space heater in there.

Oh, and thought to detach the truck.... and the flammable tank of fuel in it.
                                  The armchair saddler
                                  Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

we ripped the carpet-glued-to-aluminum out of our tiny LQ and replaced it with vinyl boards. Easy peasy and so much easier to keep clean(ish).

Comment

This isn't hard - you need to drill some holes in the floor to allow it to drain. You'd be surprised how fast it will dry out with just a few holes drilled. It will ease your mind for the future and keep the floor from pooling water under the carpet.

Make sure your carpet is inddor outdoor carpet, if it isn't, replace that right away so it is.

In the future, with indoor outdoor carpet, some holes drilled under it in the floor (finger width, not big) opening the door to air and get sun will sort everything out well.

Think about a boat. when the interior gets wet, things are in place to allow it to drain, and a skylight is opened and it dries out nicely. the only reason there would be a problem is if there wasn't a mechanism for water to drain away, or wick away from the carpet. If it can, it will, and if the doors/hatches/windows are opened, it will dry out regularly.
                                      Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

Carpet on the DR floor? Well, at least now I don't have to explain to you why this us a BAD idea.

Pull up the carpet...let it dry...replace with flat rubber stall matts cut to fit.

Problem ELIMINATED PERMANENTLY.

Comment

Working...
                                        X