• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can we talk SSS one more time?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we talk SSS one more time?

I have neighbors who have 3 dogs and 3 puppies running loose. (Soon to be more puppies, I'm sure ) They cross my farm regularly and have been seen miles from home running about freely. They have killed two of my barn kitties, barked at my horses, and harass/killed my other neighbors chickens. As soon as my kitty was attacked we told the neighbors what happened and they pretty much laughed in our faces. These are not nice people, and been rude/hateful to us since we bought the farm next door to them.

Tonight one of the dogs crossed the fence and started barking at me for no reason. This makes me very angry! I never allow my animals on their property and expect that they should do the same. (Of course this is not a perfect world and people dont always do as they should).

There is no animal control in our county and I feel just helpless. I have no problem shooting these dogs, because I feel they are a danger to my animals (and myself). Here comes the big BUT. I have a feeling that if we shoot their dogs, they will retaliate by doing something to our horses, dogs, or even our property. (I repeat these are NOT nice people). Its not like I can do it quietly either, because its hard to conceal a gunshot, and the squealing that often times accompanies it. I'm at a loss and just dont know what to do, but am tired of feeling threatened. As a side note, I've thought about trapping, but these dogs are really wise.

What would the cothers do in this situation?

I agree that shooting them would probably result in retaliation, considering the kind of people they seem to be. Can you get the sheriff involved?

Comment

Can you catch them and relocate them- preferably to a shelter a couple counties away??? At least there they would be spayed, neutered and hopefully adopted!
      "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

Quietly load the dog in your car, drive it to Animal Control shelter in a neighboring county and surrender it as a stray. That's what I did multiple times with a neighbor's dogs who kept coming over despite our pleas. I don't have the heard to shoot an innocent dog. This way the dogs disappeared and they had at least a chance at a different life.

The neighbors never even bothered to look for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Watermark Farm View Post
          Quietly load the dog in your car, drive it to Animal Control shelter in a neighboring county and surrender it as a stray. That's what I did multiple times with a neighbor's dogs who kept coming over despite our pleas. I don't have the heard to shoot an innocent dog. This way the dogs disappeared and they had at least a chance at a different life.

The neighbors never even bothered to look for them.
          Yes, exactly. I assume these dogs aren't wild, so get yourself some dog treats and a choke collar and leash, set your anger aside and use your best sugar sweet poopsie-woo doggie speak, catch the dogs and quietly surrender them as strays at FAR AWAY animal shelters. Trapping doesn't have to involve traps, either, lure them into your barn or a stall with some food and shut the door.

Comment

Forget the dog treats. I would make them my buddy with big, cheap cuts of raw meat. And then do what BeeHoney suggests. And use a fake name at the shelter, and at least a few hours away.
            You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

I refuse to give my name when I drop them off
              "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
              ---
              The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

Agree with catching and taking the dog(s) to a distant shelter. A bit of work and time but it's not the fault of the dogs the owners are morons.
                "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

Comment

Originally posted by Equine Studies View Post
                  Agree with catching and taking the dog(s) to a distant shelter. A bit of work and time but it's not the fault of the dogs the owners are morons.
                  Good rule of thumb is the 50 mile radius. Never cheat on your spouse or dump the neighbor's dogs at a shelter in this range.

Good luck
                  Originally posted by The Saddle
                  Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

Comment

Crossbow.
                    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
                    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Comment

Originally posted by rustbreeches View Post
                      Never cheat on your spouse or dump the neighbor's dogs at a shelter in this range.

Good luck
                      Good rule of thumb I guess?
                      High Quality Tack Resale

Comment

Originally posted by rustbreeches View Post
                        Good rule of thumb is the 50 mile radius. Never cheat on your spouse or dump the neighbor's dogs at a shelter in this range.

Good luck
                        I just got into trouble at work (well not really) laughing out loud at this. Seems like sensible advice.
                        DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yet another vote for catch and release (at a shelter, far far away)

If only that would work with the neighbours children!

LBR
                          I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Comment

It is 6 dogs though...and I doubt they will stop getting dogs when these 6 vanish. I think you would run out of animal shelters to drop them off at.

Can you put up some feild fence where they are mostly likely to cross on to your property to discourage them?
                            Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

Can you run a low hot wire where they're getting through?
                              Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

RB.... Good rule of thumb is the 50 mile radius. Never cheat on your spouse or dump the neighbor's dogs at a shelter in this range.

Too funny and true!!!!! good advice

Comment

I bought a thing called a "Dazer." It's about the size of a TV remote, fits in a pocket. When you press the button it makes that high-pitched noise that dogs hate but we can't hear. I got it when we had a neighbor with loose dogs that acted aggressive when we walked past every morning - it sure did turn those suckers away! It could be a good way to teach the dogs that your place hurts! Stay away! Of course you'd want to avoid using it if your own dogs were around at the time...
                                  I've also used it on horseback - dogs don't normally bother me or my horse but sometimes you get one or two that really act threatening and the Dazer turns them away without doing them harm. The sound didn't seem to affect the horses at all.
                                  Anyway, it might turn the dogs away from your farm and nobody has to be the wiser, no no retaliation...
                                  It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Equine Studies View Post
                                    no, death in a shelter(near or far) is almost certain...better to spare them that suffering...imo

and legally/morally, one is theft and the other is defending your property from loss

Tamara
                                    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
                                    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Comment

The 50 mile radius was shared with me by an amazing farrier in VA! Very, very wonderful guy with quite a bit of good advice!

I would never cheat on Mr. Breeches. It took me kissing a lot of frogs to find him!
                                      Originally posted by The Saddle
                                      Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

Comment

If you take them to a shelter in another locale, do not admit they are from another county. Many shelters cannot take animals from outside the county. Say something like you found them on Route X near town Y in the shelter's county.
                                        "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
                                        X