• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Varieties of Poultry?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Varieties of Poultry?

I have a poultry catalog, and I'm getting dizzy. I had no idea this many varieties existed. Pages upon pages of chicks and ducks and geese and everything except the surrey with the fringe on top. I want to add some poultry this late spring/summer, but what sort? Help!

What I'm looking for:

Egg-laying poultry.
    Grasshopper-and-tick-munching poultry.
    Pretty is always a plus.
    I don't mind crowing at dawn. I do mind constant shrieks, screams, and noise nonstop for noise's sake.

What variety is right for me?

ETA: Oh yes, one more criterion. Seeing as I'm a novice at this, relative friendly and hard-to-kill poultry.
    Last edited by dressagetraks; Mar. 3, 2012, 03:35 PM.

Black Australorp, Rhode Island Red, Amerecauna (aka Easter Egger), any of the Orpingtons (Blue, Buff, etc).

All are good egg layers. The Amerecaunas lay blue or green eggs--shells only, rest of the egg is "normal". The Australorp and Orpingtons are big, gentle chickens. The Amerecaunas and Rhode Islands are a bit fiestier, but are better at foraging, which equals bug killing.

Sheila

Comment

Forgot to mention, they are all pretty birds too. The Black Australorps are black with green, gold, and purple sheen to their feathers. The Orpingtons are "fluffy looking" because of their size. Rhode Islands are a dark mahogony type of brown with a bit of black in the feather. Ameracaunas are a variety of colors, but have the cutest little feather tufts around their "ears" that make it look like they are wearing ear-muffs.

Sheila

Comment

I find Buff Orpingtons to be the matches to your criteria (though I can't speak to the bug eating--not many of those up here). They are calm, kind-natured birds, quite tame, good layers, pretty cold tolerant/heat tolerant (you really need to be aware of that).

I think there are a couple of web sites that have "chicken selecting" sections to help you wallow through the mind boggling variety of birds!
        Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

How much time you spend with them as chicks will make a huge diff on how tame & easy to handle they are later on.
          "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

Comment

where do you live? certain breeds don't handle cold or hot as well as others.

My faves though are frizzle chickens, anything with nifty colors or feathers, and runner ducks. Muscovy ducks are awesome for fire ant control too. I don't care much for the normal breeds. I like the nifty-looking ones.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the info!

So what are you supposed to do with chicks? Can't teach them to wear a halter and pick their feet up. What's basic chicken socialization?

I'm in the Midwest. We have cold but not too cold winters, hot but not too hot (according to me; I love 90-100) summers. Pretty middle of the road climate other than the tornadoes.

Comment

I like my Barred Plymouth Rocks. They are reliable layers and easy laid back birds. Wyandottes are loud...not sure why but they seem very vocal. Buff Orps are nice birds...a bit timid maybe and broody. They will probably sit a nest and raise chicks for you if you let them.

Comment

Ducks are the most fun to raise, but they're messy! I second the Australorps - great layers and easy keepers. And the Amerecaunas are really pretty and of course lay different color eggs.

Comment

Dressagetraks - I don't know whose catalog you have, but I'm kind of thinking you may want to do a little more research before getting any chicks. If you do a websearch (check out "My Pet Chicken" & "Murray McMurray" for starters), they have info re: which chickens do best in extreme heat or cold, which tend to be flightier, friendlier, better layers, which are terrific foragers, etc., etc. Many hatchery sites & poultry sites (there are many) have plenty of expert info re: this stuff - breed by breed.

Re: "basic chicken (or poultry) socialization" - regular gentle handling when they're still very young & under heat lamps goes a long long way to having birds that are a joy to have around & don't automatically run from you later on. Makes them a heck of a lot easier to medicate if necessary as well.

As for "what" type of poultry? Well, for starters, they ALL lay eggs, so that's a moot point; chicken, duck, & guinea hen eggs are the ones I always see for sale at the farmers market, although chicken eggs are it for me. The type of poultry is going to depend on what facilities you have for them (housing, protection from predators when they're not "bug-hunting" for you, feed, space, etc., etc.). You really have to read up on the different types of poultry available, their needs, & what you want to get vs. what you want to - or can - supply.

Comment

• Original Poster

Definitely will be doing more research. I'm not planning to get them for a few months, and Storey's Guide is already ordered and on the way; love their guides to nearly anything. As well as lots more internet research at a time when I'm not working and don't have to slice it into 5-minute waiting for job to download bites. I don't jump into ANYTHING without looking around well first. Just poling the COTH pool of knowledge while waiting for more free internet time/book.

Comment

We had barred plymouth rocks and they were a good all around bird, but we only had 8 to start and lost them one at a time to maurading dogs and other predators. Now we have some Cornish probably and RIR crosses, and some black rooster we traded for, he has feathered pantaloons and is pretty funny looking, but quite gentle. If you get them as chicks they are easy enough to socialize, I can catch most of mine and cart them around without too much fuss. They like oatmeal.
                        Do have a warning though, most places ship via US mail and you have to choose your vendor and time it so your chicks don't travel in the back of a too hot or too cold truck for an extended period - ie try to buy within a six or eight hour driving radius or try for a week of temperate weather otherwise they'll die of stress. They are just hatched so they don't really need water or food, but the backs of those trucks aren't heated or cooled and get to be even hotter than outside air, just like a car, or if it's below freezing outside, well . . .
                        Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                        Incredible Invisible

Comment

A very sweet, gentle, quiet bird is the Salmon Faverolle. Even the rooster is gentle and kind. And quiet. They tolerate heat and cold well. Good layers of small ecru colored eggs. Very pretty faces. I have all kinds of breeds but as a "pet" chicken that you keep for laying and eating ticks the Salmon Faverolle is quite nice. The feathered shanks mean they don't scratch too much, so they don't make a mess in the barnyard. Also, they have 5 toes which is unusual.

The Austrolorp holds the record for egg laying- they are egg laying machines.

Oh - I got some White Faced Black Spanish. Gorgeous birds. Catalog described them as "flighty" which is the understatement of the year. I had chickens all over the place - including my roof. I have some hens that spend their day peeking in my windows. They're nuttier than squirrel poo.
                          Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                          Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                          -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

See, now, my Australorps laid like anything, but damn they are flighty, wild things! I thought I'd handled them quite a bit as chicks/fledged babies, but apparently not! My Buffs are a hoot--quiet, busy, tame, let little kids handle them. My Delawares are beautiful, but not sure how much they lay and NOT TAME. Crazy how they segregate by color on the roosts, too. Such "racists"
                            Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

Guineas are the best tick eaters.

Comment

Leghorns are voracious bug eaters although egg production may be a bit more than you want. If you plan on getting a mixed 'herd' of chicks, be prepared to be ready to insert the cockrels into your freezer as Leghorn roosters are a nasty lot. They are pretty good meat chickens as well, especially for small families.
                                Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Comment

I have Cochins (Blues, lemon blues, buffs, splashs) Ameracanas (EEs), Blue laced red wynadottes and polish. Mine are very friendly, tame, quiet and good layers.
                                  "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Comment

Originally posted by dressagetraks View Post
                                    Definitely will be doing more research. I'm not planning to get them for a few months, and Storey's Guide is already ordered and on the way; love their guides to nearly anything. As well as lots more internet research at a time when I'm not working and don't have to slice it into 5-minute waiting for job to download bites. I don't jump into ANYTHING without looking around well first. Just poling the COTH pool of knowledge while waiting for more free internet time/book.
                                    I'm so glad - not to mention how interesting it is to read about (at least it is to me).

I still cringe at an acquaintance of mine who once proudly informed me that she'd just bought 2 dozen chicks from the local feed store, had them at home in a little cardboard box, & wanted to know what to do next. Her plans were to just let them go in the yard. Little chicks. No feathers yet. She didn't know that they needed a heat source, chick feed, etc., etc. I probably still have the lump on my head from banging it against my desk.

Comment

Originally posted by sk_pacer View Post
                                      If you plan on getting a mixed 'herd' of chicks, be prepared to be ready to insert the cockrels into your freezer as Leghorn roosters are a nasty lot.
                                      Actually, a lot of poultry personality is dependant on how they're raised. The absolute hands-down friendliest rooster I ever owned was a White Leghorn that I was gifted with as a lone chick. He grew up to be a friendly, funny, family pet, & actually slept inside the house at night in his own little cardboard-box bed! It was funny to watch him race across the yard from his run every night, right up to the back door & pace impatiently to be let in - lol! He'd sit on my shoulder while raked the lawn, & followed me around while I weeded, muttering to himself. What a great pet he was.

Comment

Originally posted by ponygirl View Post
                                        I have Cochins (Blues, lemon blues, buffs, splashs) Ameracanas (EEs), Blue laced red wynadottes and polish. Mine are very friendly, tame, quiet and good layers.
                                        Cochins are my favorites. Those blue laced red Wyndottes are beautiful too.

Dressagetraks- Cochins are big, beautiful, gentle birds. Decent layers and good mommas, if you're considering hatching any eggs.

http://westnilevirus.okstate.edu/pou...chin/black.htm

http://arbroath.blogspot.com/2008/02...every-day.html (pretty cute little story)

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/C...CochinStd.html
                                        The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

Comment

Working...
                                        X