• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

2 horse trailer with side ramp?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 horse trailer with side ramp?

I am considering switching from my regular gooseneck 2 horse straight load to one with a side ramp. I have only been able to see the 2+1 version in person but I don't know if I need all that space. Online I have found ones that angle the wall between the horse area and the dressing room to allow for a side ramp, but I haven't been able to see one in person. My concern is that my very large 17 hand warmblood would not be able to get from the driver's side stall around the center post and down the side ramp. Does anyone have this type of trailer? Do you find there is enough room to comfortably use the side ramp? Or am I better off just getting a 2+1 if I really want a side ramp? Thanks!

Have no advice - but thot that this one looked pretty nice when I was looking...

http://www.shadowtrailer.com/trailer/21176.aspx

Comment

Not sure if you can see this it is an old ad, but I saved it because I want one.

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/hom....asp?ID=309527

I have seen them IRL and there is lots of room for the horse on the other side to get the ramp. The head devider moves out of the way and they have about 4 or so feet. The same width as the ramp. There are different trailer companys that have the ramp on the driver side of the trailer.

Here is one with more room in front.
      http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/hom....asp?ID=372775
      My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

Comment

I have a 2011 Hawk 2H BP with side ramp and dressing room, set-up like this model: http://www.happytrailstrailers.com/product.php?pid=2

My 16hh appendix fits on it fine/is able to maneuver out the side ramp easily...he's not as tall as your guy, but he's got super wide shoulders and hips and wears an 84" blanket, so he's not very small either!!

TBH, other than for nervous loaders or babies, I don't use the side ramp. I suppose it's nice to have just in case, but I wish I had more room in the dressing room. That being said, it's still a SUPER nice trailer and it's a dream to haul.
        "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Comment

Here is a great deal.

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/hom....asp?ID=372763

There is a video with this one. it shows the area.

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/hom....asp?ID=371411

Comment

Originally posted by Frost View Post
            My concern is that my very large 17 hand warmblood would not be able to get from the driver's side stall around the center post and down the side ramp. .... Or am I better off just getting a 2+1 if I really want a side ramp? Thanks!
            I would suspect that the 2+1 design is to allow enough room for this scenario. If you already have a large horse, I would go with the 2+1 design so you don't end up cramping your horse for space on the exit, and finding out that you really did need that space!
            "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Comment

my trainer has one - does not like it

My trainer uses a 4-horse with a side ramp and I asked her if she likes it and she said no. The 2 horses in front stalls face the rear, the back two face forward. There is a ramp on both sides, that you are supposed to lead the horses in front out of.

The problem is this:
              TO load the front horses, you have to walk them up the ramp, then into the back stall and then back them into the rear facing front stall. She says it's awkward and some horses just don't seem to understand what they are supposed to do. You have such a tight area to work in that if the horse gets nervous you don't have much room to work. Also, you can't have the back door open while backing the front horse into their spot because they see the opening and think they can go forward and out.
              It is a very tight turn to unload off the side ramp plus you have to walk the horse past the head of all the other horses and they can bite each other or get aggitated. She hauls horses every week and says it's just easier to not use the side ramp. This trailer belongs to one of her clients and she says she would never buy one with this set-up. She has hauled horses all over the country and I value her opinion.

I used to think I wanted the 2+1 until I heard her view on it and then got in the trailer and looked at it. I could see how it would be too tight an angle and very awkward.

Comment

I have a friend with a Hawk 2H side ramp model ... straight load and NOT a 2+1. She also owns two 17 handers. They manage the side unload very easily. The side ramp / door arrangement is more than large enough to allow them to make the turn to unload.

*Star*
                "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
                - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Comment

Just buy the 2+1..

I L O V E mine. I have a great big draft cross. I load him from the back and unload him from the side. I don't need anyone to help. The horses also have more "head room" with this kind of trailer. I haven't met a horse that won't load on one yet.

You do have to have enough truck to haul one though.

You can actually haul three horses in these if you need to. Even my horse fits in the front "box" stall.

I have a 4 Star, and it's very well made with all the windows you can imagine. Insulated roof, heavy hardware. I have the hydrallic lift on the jack (love it).

I got mine from L.A. Trailer sales in NC. Great service, good price, fair on trade in and they delivered it right to my door.

Comment

Originally posted by enterata View Post
                    My trainer uses a 4-horse with a side ramp and I asked her if she likes it and she said no. The 2 horses in front stalls face the rear, the back two face forward. There is a ramp on both sides, that you are supposed to lead the horses in front out of.

The problem is this:
                    TO load the front horses, you have to walk them up the ramp, then into the back stall and then back them into the rear facing front stall. She says it's awkward and some horses just don't seem to understand what they are supposed to do. You have such a tight area to work in that if the horse gets nervous you don't have much room to work. Also, you can't have the back door open while backing the front horse into their spot because they see the opening and think they can go forward and out.
                    It is a very tight turn to unload off the side ramp plus you have to walk the horse past the head of all the other horses and they can bite each other or get aggitated. She hauls horses every week and says it's just easier to not use the side ramp. This trailer belongs to one of her clients and she says she would never buy one with this set-up. She has hauled horses all over the country and I value her opinion.

I used to think I wanted the 2+1 until I heard her view on it and then got in the trailer and looked at it. I could see how it would be too tight an angle and very awkward.
                    What you're describing is a 4 horse "head to head."

While the ramps are indeed on the sides, I think what the OP was talking about was the 2+1 with a side ramp idea.

It's not situated with the load up and back in idea. More over its like a box stall in the 1 area accessed by the side ramp and a regular straight load 2 stalls behind that have a rear ramp.

Emily
                    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

What I wonder about on the side ramp models, when you say the head divider swings out of the way, doesn't it swing into the head of the passenger side horse? So do you have to unload the passenger side horse first so you can swing the head divider over to unload the driver side horse?

Comment

The Böckmann Portax AK that I'm considering has a front/side ramp. When I looked at it physically, it seemed to have plenty of room to maneuver. But it's a BP, not a GN. That said, being able to unload toward the front/side does have appeal to me.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by ShotenStar View Post
                          I have a friend with a Hawk 2H side ramp model ... straight load and NOT a 2+1. She also owns two 17 handers. They manage the side unload very easily. The side ramp / door arrangement is more than large enough to allow them to make the turn to unload.

*Star*
                          This is very reassuring.
                          Thanks for all the helpful replies and pictures. I think I will make more of an effort to see one in person and figure out pricing. My guy loads and unloads very well, but I have always wanted a side ramp as a second exit for my own safety paranoia reasons. It wasn't available as an option with my trailer when I bought it several years ago.
                          Thanks again.

Comment

I have a Kiefer Built 2+1 gooseneck and I love it. It is hands down the best and easiest horse trailer I have ever worked out of. Multiple ways to configure the interior, a friend of mine called it a mobile barn because you can cross tie the horse in the box stall, and there is a walk through from the tackroom so I can completely tack up inside. It makes my life so so easy. One of my horses is a 17.3 hand giant and he fits just fine in and out on which ever ramp. I can not say enough good things about my trailer!
                            www.rockhillfarm.net

Comment

Originally posted by enterata View Post

The problem is this:

What you are talking about is a 4 horse head to head. I had one and just loved it. I hated to sell it, but I just could not take it to most places here on the island.

I never had any problems with loading horses in it and they learn fast how to back up in to there stalls. I found it great to teach horses how to travel in a horse trailer because I could set it up in so many different ways.

I have 2 horses over 17 HH and never had a problem with the side ramp. But my ramp was curb side and they rode on driverside of trailer.

The Böckmann Portax AK that I'm considering has a front/side ramp. When I looked at it physically, it seemed to have plenty of room to maneuver. But it's a BP, not a GN. That said, being able to unload toward the front/side does have appeal to me.
                              I have been looking for the BP as we just don't have the room out here on the roads for the GN. Some of the driveways that you need to trun in too for shows and such are just to small.

What I wonder about on the side ramp models, when you say the head divider swings out of the way, doesn't it swing into the head of the passenger side horse? So do you have to unload the passenger side horse first so you can swing the head divider over to unload the driver side horse?
                              Yes the idea is to unload the curbside/passenger horse first.

Comment

I have a Hawk 2+1 and LOVE it. We actually never use the rear ramp anymore. We load/ unload always from the side ramp. We walk the horses in, turn around in the +1 area and back them into the straight stalls. Never had a problem and I do it alone with two horses every week.

It is great to be able to tack up in the +1 area on bad weather, plus we can put bales of hay in there if going on a long weekend show/ camp trip. My trailer has a full dressing room too with door to the +1 area...super convenient. Also, when we get to horse shows we can leave the horses in the trailer and open the side ramp, windows and doors so in the summer it doesn't get hot in there.

I am actually probably going to sell my 2+1 to get a new one with "cowboy" LQ (insulated tack area, few cabinets, bed in gooseneck and cowboy shower in +1 area)...so I don't have to get hotel rooms at long horse shows or when camping. I'm pricing it now Hopefully it is in the budget!!

I would love a 4Star but sadly they are out of my price range.

I haul with a diesel F250 and never had a problem.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the 2+1!!
                                Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
                                http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
                                http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

Comment

Originally posted by bluehof View Post
                                  I have a Hawk 2+1 and LOVE it. We actually never use the rear ramp anymore. We load/ unload always from the side ramp. We walk the horses in, turn around in the +1 area and back them into the straight stalls. Never had a problem and I do it alone with two horses every week.

It is great to be able to tack up in the +1 area on bad weather, plus we can put bales of hay in there if going on a long weekend show/ camp trip. My trailer has a full dressing room too with door to the +1 area...super convenient. Also, when we get to horse shows we can leave the horses in the trailer and open the side ramp, windows and doors so in the summer it doesn't get hot in there.

I am actually probably going to sell my 2+1 to get a new one with "cowboy" LQ (insulated tack area, few cabinets, bed in gooseneck and cowboy shower in +1 area)...so I don't have to get hotel rooms at long horse shows or when camping. I'm pricing it now Hopefully it is in the budget!!

I would love a 4Star but sadly they are out of my price range.

I haul with a diesel F250 and never had a problem.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the 2+1!!
                                  If you decide on a price, please pm me!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinadreamin' View Post
                                    If you decide on a price, please pm me!!!
                                    Will do! I am pricing a new one now. If I can swing it $-wise I'll see what the projected tme line is for getting it to me...I can't be without a trailer.
                                    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
                                    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
                                    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

Comment

Turnbow

I have a 2 horse straight load that is oversized with a side ramp...probably not as big as a 2+1 but has plenty of room in front for a tack trunk and hay storage and I have tie downs to secure the items. Mid tack and weekender LQ.

I was downsizing from a 4h head to head that I LOVED. So I wanted a side ramp. my horses (16.3 and 17 hand warmbloods) have no problem walking off the trailer even with a tack trunk (situated on the passenger side) and hay (situated on the drivers side).

The driver side horse comes off first and then the head divider swings over to that side so the passenger side horse can walk off second. Or they can back off the trailer as well.

This is my first Turnbow and it will certainly NOT be my last. Love the trailer, love the design, love my hydraulic jack and brakes.

m
                                      m

Comment

I have a friend with a Gore 2-horse bumper pull with the dressing room and side ramp. Her horse is an 18 hand Dutch Warmblood who is a reluctant loader. He *loves* this trailer and has plenty of room while hauling and plenty of room to walk out the side ramp. He has become a much better loader since she bought this trailer.
                                        "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Comment

Working...
                                        X