• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Rear Tack in Slant Load

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Tack in Slant Load

Looking for pros and cons of having a rear tack room in a slant load trailer vs. just having the space completely open. Some questions:

How much of a pain in the a-- is it to remove the collapsible partition if you don't want to use the rear tack?

If you simply collapse the partition when not in use, how much road noise does it generate when towing and does it get in the way at all?

If you never had a rear tack, would you get one in a new trailer?
    If so why?

Thanks for any input.

Mary in Western NY
    http://www.bpequine.com

Depending on the brand of trailer the rear tack is very easy to remove or collapse (I have a Featherlite and its easy). Some horses do not like loading when it is open, some could care less. Personally I never put tack there but do put a muck tub, lead ropes, extra halters, pitchfork etc. We have a camera with sound in ours and I have never heard any extra road noise from it either open or shut (but we do secure ours).

Comment

I have a rear tack in my 3h exiss. I moved the saddle rack to the unfinished dressing room to use as a larger tack room/storage.

I almost never collapse the rear tack area; It's always full of extra hay bags to switch out during the trip, hay for the shows, water for trail rides, spare shavings, etc. I like it because this way my show clothes/tack/whathaveyous in my tack/dressing room aren't always covered in little bits of flyaway hay.

The ONLY time I've collapsed it down was to move a mare and foal. It took about 5 seconds to collapse against the wall, and was not as noisy going down the road as I thought it was going to be.

The cons: It's a PITA to remove the back tack and center bar for the doors if you have a real problem loader (or have to move a manure spreader... just saying).

I always go by the more storage space, the better.... Hope this helps!

Comment

I've had 2 slants and rear tacks in both. I camp and the storage is a must for me. My current trailer is a weekender, so the rear tack holds all my horse tack, chairs, tire saver, step, hoses, tree savers, fence tape for the electric fence, etc And that doesn't count the saddles, pads, bridles, halters, medicines, brushes, etc I had 3 brush trays (added 2) and about 10 bridle hooks.

As far as folding it up, I have done that one time with each traielr due to a horse that refused to back out of the trailer. I do have an escape door on the first stall. You have to empty the rear tack, take out the bolts holding the hinges and fold it up. then replace all the tack. Not something I'd want to do on a regular basis. Each trailer may vary on how the rear tack folds, but probably not by much. I use my trailer pretty much every weekend. I camped last weekend for 3 days and am heading out Fri for a 9 day trip, so the rear tack stays full of stuff.

As far as leaving it in place folded, I think you would need to attach it somehow to keep it from opening up. I have 2 saddle racks, so you'd need to take those out if closing it up or removing it. If you don't want or need a rear tack, you'd probably be better off getting one without it or remove it, store it and don't use it. I personally couldn't do without mine.

Comment

I have a 3-H slant and DH took out the rear tack to help someone move some furniture.

He never put it back and I just realized upon reading this thread it has been over a year. I love the extra room loading and unloading without it. Tack goes up front and I guess I have never missed it.

Don't know how hard it was to remove as I wasn't there.

Comment

We had a slant load with a fixed tack compartment in the back. BAD idea. The horses never learned the concept of loading in it. We created loading problems every time. It was even harder to unload them than it was to load. We traded the darn thing in.

A friend had a swing out one and that was actually quite clever.

Fixed tack compartments in a slant load require the last horse to load and turn immediately. If you have a hesitant loader, it may look in, see that divider 3 feet from his nose, and conclude there is no room in there for a whole horse. They had a hard time grasping the concept that the horse steps to the left. We got it figured out well enough that we could load and unload, but decided it wasn't worth the hassle. They were obedient, just not happy. Unloading, it not only requires the last horse to make a turn while backing out, but also decreases visibility for all horses unloading.
            Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans

Comment

• Original Poster

Rear Tack

Thanks guys for your input. Sounds like most of you use the rear tack.

I've never had one and when I go to horse shows with one horse, I use my trailer as a box stall. My horse loves being able to move around and look out the back as well as the front/side and I hang a hay bag and water for him on the top edge of the ramp. Obviously, I can't do that with a rear tack if I'm using it as a rear tack.

Horseshrink, interesting that you had it but don't miss it. What about the hardware (hinges, latches) used for the rear tack that are still in the trailer? Do they get in the way at all?

Another question for those that use the rear tack for say a pitchfork or broom....would you be able to leave those in there when you collapse the rear tack?

Sorry for all the questions but I've never had one and need to make sure that if I get one on my new trailer, it won't be in my way.

Thanks again,

Mary in Western NY
              Last edited by Black Points; Feb. 15, 2012, 03:46 PM. Reason: missing signature

Comment

My two horse b.p. has a collapsible rear tack. I have never used it in ten years. I prefer the open feeling, have a large tack room in front of the trailer that's sufficient for my needs, so I keep it in the collapsed position.

Comment

We have shipped horses with the rear tack in and using it as an open "box stall" we just removed the two dividers, hung buckets and hay and horses were quite comfy.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Points View Post
                    Another question for those that use the rear tack for say a pitchfork or broom....would you be able to leave those in there when you collapse the rear tack?
                    No, once the tack is collapsed (at least on my trailer), it folds flat and secures against the wall. There would be no place to store anything.
                    I formed a box stall at one point by taking the last divider out to make a double sized 'stall'. Now, I prefer to have my horses tied in so that my jerk of a gelding can't nip at his neighbors over/under the divider.

Comment

I have a big horse. I'll be looking for a trailer sometime this spring. I will NOT consider one with a rear tack. Feels too restrictive.

L

Comment

Black Points: I guess all of the hardware was in/on the tack door? No hardware left in trailer except something permanently attached to the side wall, but small.

Interestingly, I never used it for tack and had not had the trailer very long before DH removed it. So, maybe I would like it...don't know. I have a very large, extended dressing room, so plenty of storage up front plus the gooseneck.

But, I do love the extra room when loading and unloading. My problem is that it is a step up and although my mare is very good at loading/unloading, I think I would prefer a ramp so I could turn her around and walk her out.

I'm trying to figure out if a ramp can be installed after-market?

Comment

Yes a ramp can be installed after market, but there are not too many places I would trust to do it. Ask in your area...

Comment

Our 4-horse has the rear tack. It's collapsible and we do occasionally collapse it. We rarely use the last stall, and it can be a real pain to load/unload a horse in the rear stall if they are large or inexperienced. They have to go in and get out on their own, which I know all of them should do, but in real life that is not always the case.

I definitely like the space for muck buckets and other bulky, grungy stuff. We also have extra halters and leads and basic first aid in there. I haven't stored tack in there for a long time, it stays much cleaner in the front tack.

I have been meaning to get a supply of weather stripping type rubbery material and try to dampen the rattling bits in both of our trailers. Amazing how noisy they are inside.

Also, if you're trailer shopping for a slant load, make sure your bigger horses fit! With draft crosses, we ended up having to get an 8' wide trailer and they're still a bit crowded against the rear wall with their hind legs. The first slant trailer we bought was too small and we had to resell it. The stall length is important.

Comment

I have seen them used and have used them and would never own one. Confining and dangerous if any thing goes wrong. I want the option to turn horses around if required in an emergency, and I also want to get myself out if I am in. IMO they are not worth the increased risk. I use the bed of the truck for forks/buckets/stuff I do not want in the trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Points View Post
                                Looking for pros and cons of having a rear tack room in a slant load trailer vs. just having the space completely open. Some questions:

How much of a pain in the a-- is it to remove the collapsible partition if you don't want to use the rear tack?

If you simply collapse the partition when not in use, how much road noise does it generate when towing and does it get in the way at all?

If you never had a rear tack, would you get one in a new trailer?
                                If so why?

Thanks for any input.

Mary in Western NY
                                I have a Double D trailer and our rear tack compartment is on hinges. It swings completely out of the way without having to empty it so the back is fully open like a stock trailer to load. Nice feature and very convenient.

I'd not want one that would not swing out like that. I think it makes it a PITA to load into a narrow space.

Comment

We have a 4 horse - with a stallion divider for the first section by the emergency exit - so usually we use this section for the dirty stuff - hay, buckets, shavings and all the tools.

I say get the tack room and tack it out if you don't need it.

If we have 4 horses in we use the rear tack and put the stuff in there. Taking it out makes that rear stall larger and the horse can actually turn to come out. The only thing I don't like about taking it out is you don't have the butt bar.

Don't use the rear for tack

Comment

If you need to remove mine takes about 30 seconds. I wouldn't have one with out it.

Comment

I have a 3 horse slant w/ rear tack and I use the rear tack as there are no saddle racks in the dressing room and the dressing room short wall is about 1 ft, its tiny, my problem loader actually loves the trailer, go figure, but he usually gets the middle spot

Comment

My trailer is without--saddle rack in tack room that swings out. Nice to know they can be folded up and secured. Wanted the ability to turn horse around and walk out forward. Had a tough loader and this worked well for him. Mine's a step up but a very low step up. Would like to have some sort of butt bar for second horse, especially since I have a large single door in the back.

If I was camping, traveling a lot, the rear could be very handy but then I would probably want a three horse for the two guys so the second one in wouldn't feel so confined.

Someone recently posted some pictures of a couple of trailers where the
                                        dressing room wall could be swung back against the side, opening up the trailer for other uses. Like taking the Gator to the shop, etc. If there is ever another trailer in my future, that will be high on my list of must haves.

Comment

Working...
                                        X