• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Would You Let an 11 year old Work Unsupervised?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would You Let an 11 year old Work Unsupervised?

A family that consists of two parents and an 11 year old girl have moved in to a local co-op barn. Each co-op shift entails bringing horses in or turning them out, feeding hay, grain, checking water and making sure everyone is on all 4 legs, and not colicing or bleeding.

The co-op has already accepted these people into the barn and now finds that a) they have their very first horse and no prior horse experience; b) the parents are planning on dropping the 11 year old off to do chores then picking her up after; c) they had zero idea what their new horse eats, how much grain to feed, etc. Also it is not uncommon for the person working the co-op shift to be totally alone on the farm.

Several co-op members see no issue with an inexperienced 11 year old working on her own. I think it's a HUGE liability issue. What do you think?

BTW-not my barn and I don't board there but a friend does and we are both curious.
    Last edited by eventersmom; Jan. 28, 2012, 11:03 AM. Reason: Spelling
    A horse may be coaxed to drink, but a pencil must be lead.

no way no how.
    but thats just me. I know a lot of people that grew up with : being dropped off, turned loose at a barn and having full freedom from mom and dad all day long.
    Wonderful fun for the kid.

But as a parent? Nope. Never happened. I was on grounds each and every time my young daughter was around horses and ESPECIALLY when she was in saddle. Again. I chose to have a reduced family income and vs. continuing working, be a stay at home mom, and again (!) I realize not everyone can.

but it was important to me...and I vowed if she was ever flat on her back, staring up at EMTs, and scared...I'd be the first face she saw and was with her enroute.

Barn chores? sure...I'd let her work off things and took each opportunity for her exposure to the hard stuff, not just the fluff. But to ask her to do it as an eleven year old without my being there? no.

again. just me.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Comment

HUGE liability issue. How is the insurance written? I'd be talking to your insurance agent to make sure you're protected. I'm not familiar with co-op liability insurance....

Comment

at the two barns we used to board at, all minors had to be supervised at all times.....

Comment

I am not sure I would want the child and the newbie parent there alone without supervision.
          McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
            HUGE liability issue. How is the insurance written? I'd be talking to your insurance agent to make sure you're protected. I'm not familiar with co-op liability insurance....

Good question but I have no idea since it isn't my barn. I would hope it is something the owners are researching to ensure they are covered!
            A horse may be coaxed to drink, but a pencil must be lead.

Comment

I did it but it was a different time and I was brought up around livestock. By the time I was that age, I was milking cows, was well able to handle the other chores including letting them in and back out. In this case, no way. It is an accident looking for a place to happen. Not only should the child be supervised but also the parents.
              Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Comment

NO !!

Comment

If the child had horse experience and very mature, maybe. But then I'd talk to the insurance agent before it actually happened.

In this senario? No way, no how.
                  Caitlin
                  *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
                  http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Comment

No, just no. I wouldn't be happy about an adult newbie horse owner handling my horse without an experienced horse person there to teach them either.

And my horse is about as polite and mannerly on the ground as they get. I prefer to keep him that way.
                    "Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple” – Barry Switzer

Comment

I don't care if the kid is the second coming of Christ....HELL NO!

Comment

Originally posted by sk_pacer View Post
                        I did it but it was a different time and I was brought up around livestock. By the time I was that age, I was milking cows, was well able to handle the other chores including letting them in and back out. In this case, no way. It is an accident looking for a place to happen. Not only should the child be supervised but also the parents.
                        Like.

If the kid grew up around horses maybe but still theres the odd thing that can go wrong...too anyone.
                        “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Comment

I also say no. I think the barn owner and all the other boarders need to stage an intervention for the parents. They may be so clueless that they do not have any idea how dangerous this is. If the child had extensive horse experience already (such as 4+ years in pony club) it would be different. The parents need to be advised that one must stay there with the child. If the child were to be left alone however briefly (not advisable) then the child needs to have a cell phone on hand, and a note in the pocket stating how to contact the parents in case of an emergency and details of the child's medical insurance coverage. Sheesh, this boggles my mind!
                          Jeanie
                          RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Comment

ABSOLUTELY NO NO & NO.

No to a newbie regardless of age. First they need to learn how to handle all this safely. That means having an experienced teacher by their side for quite some time. I've seen way to many terribly clueless adults when it comes to horses.

No to a young child. Far too much to expect safety-wise of an 11 year old, even a very mature experienced one.

I rarely leave even my own 17 year old, who has 8 years of solid experience, to handle chores alone. I may be in the house, but I'm on alert if things seem to be taking longer than usual even with our own well behaved horses.

Even though I do work & ride alone, even as a mature adult I'm very cognizant of what can go wrong and much prefer to have someone else "in the vicinity."

This situation is a set-up for a possibly very sad outcome on many counts. I hope everybody steps back and rethinks what is going on.

Comment

No way in hades! And if I were a boarder at this barn, I would FREAK about these people handling my horses.
                              Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

Comment

How did they get accepted into the coop without this information being known???

No ... I let my boyfriend's 10-12 year old girls HELP with chores, but would never expect them to be responsible completely. Especially since they are new to horses. They get to help feed, by doing exactly what I tell them too AND I follow up. No way I would let them bring in, and no way would I expect them to know what to look for with injuries, colic, etc. They aren't even allowed in the pasture alone!
                                If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
                                ~ Maya Angelou

Comment

My friend has a lesson barn where a lot of the kids do some work, but she would not have an 11 year old (regardless of experience) doing a feeding on their own. They can help, but are never the one in charge of it. A feeder is only responsible to feed and turn out there. (water is done by adults who either feed in the morning, or the stall cleaner who is also an adult, kids proved to be unreliable with making sure there was water).
                                  I can't remember what age I was when the barn chores at home became my responsibility (although my mom was home, just not outside with me).

I would not be happy with a 11 year old being there alone, much less a new to horses one. In that case parents would only help so much since they don't know what they are doing either. I would be concerned if I kept my horse there.
                                  http://community.webshots.com/user/jenn52318

Comment

Not only is the legal liability scary, but what about the safety of a child that age being alone at a remote location? This is a really bad idea, and if the co-op allows this they will be legally and morally responsible when something happens. The parents suggesting this are idiots too.
                                    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

11 yr old

Hell no! Would not even leave the entire non-horsey family with a new horse there alone!

Comment

I don't think the job is appropriate for a newby, adult or child.

My son is 12, and he is certainly competent to handle any barn/horse chores with familiar horses. He is also 6'1" and 150 lbs, so it's not like you worry about him getting pushed around anymore than anyone. With six years of horse experience, I'd be really upset if he couldn't feed, clean stalls, and move horses around without help. That said, I certainly wouldn't drop him off in an unfamiliar barn and expect him to handle strange horses. I wouldn't want to do that myself, until I'd had plenty of time to learn the ropes, meet the horses and owners, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                        X