• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Spitting mad at my tractor mechanic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spitting mad at my tractor mechanic

This is a vent. I'll feel better after several drinks, which I am off to do now.

About 2 years ago, I was needing another tractor. I had contemplated buying a TC30 that a friend of mine had for sale, but my tractor mechanic who I trusted convinced me that it was a "toy" and he could sell me a real "workhorse" for $5.5k. He subsequently completely rebuilt a Ford Workmaster (probably around 1950s) and put on a front loader, which I wanted. While building it he told me many times that it would be worth far more than I was paying for it.

I waited nearly a year, for a tractor that I was supposed to get in 3 months.

Finally, it arrived. I used it, 3 times, total, < 1.5 hours and it broke down every time. I called him many times and for various reasons it lay here for about another 6 - 8 months.

I ended up calling the mechanic, telling him to come and get it, fix it and sell it. I told him that whatever he got above what I had paid him, he could keep, I just wanted my money back out of it. He came and took it about a month ago.

Then he emails me, needed loads of repairs. I get a check from him today for $2k. He had sold it for $3k (bad economy etc etc) but had had to put loads and loads of work into it. Never even contacted me to see if I would take $3k!

WTF!!!

I've just sent him an email telling him he can give the $3k back to whoever he sold it to and bring the damn thing back. I am just spitting mad.

YIKES ~~~ I WOULD BE SPITTING FIRE ````

Yikes I'd be spitting Fire ```

Have a drink for me too

GOOD LUCK WITH THIS SITUATION !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

I just did a search for them on line and they are listed for 2500-5000 so I think you over paid to begin with and with it breaking down everyday I would expect to take a loss on it to get rid of it. I would ask for proof of what he sold it for though and he should have ok'd it with you and also told you what it needed for repairs and what it was really worth and not a pipe dream.

Comment

I'm sorry this happened to you. A similar thing almost happened to my parents several years ago. My dad had a Triumph Stag sports car that he was rebuilding. It was vintage, a collector's item. He worked with a local mechanic's shop for many years, as he slowly rebuilt it with authentic parts. Every time he and this mechanic would talk -- and the mechanic would order parts for him -- the mechanic told my dad how valuable the car was going to be.

Dad finally got the car completely restored, and it was beautiful. Ran like a top, it was just classic and gorgeous. Then, my dad got really sick and it was clear he was not going to recover. My mom needed to sell the car to pay bills. She thought this mechanic could help her find a buyer, since my dad was too ill to do it himself. Yes, the mechanic said, he could find a buyer, but cautioned my mom that he doubted he could get more than $5,000 for the car.

My mom was livid. Fortunately, my brother lived nearby at the time. He said that mechanic was full of b.s., and listed the car on a few collector's forums, with good photos. My brother sold the car to a collector who was thrilled to snatch it up for $25,000!!!

I suspect the mechanic intended to pocket the difference ... but it was hard to believe he would treat my mom like that after all those years of my dad being such a good customer!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by China Doll View Post
          I just did a search for them on line and they are listed for 2500-5000 so I think you over paid to begin with and with it breaking down everyday I would expect to take a loss on it to get rid of it. I would ask for proof of what he sold it for though and he should have ok'd it with you and also told you what it needed for repairs and what it was really worth and not a pipe dream.
          China Doll, was there a specific site that you searched? I'd been keen to look. This one (despite not running!) was mint. It was completely rebuilt and repainted and had a large, heavy front loader which is not standard. It really was absolutely beautiful (if you wanted a lawn ornament!). I am hoping to just get it back and perhaps sell it locally.

Comment

• Original Poster

King's Ransom - what a complete and utter toad that mechanic was!! How dare he!

The mechanic we had before this one was going to do a clutch job on my Ford 2800. It involves breaking it in two. He took $1,000 to get parts - never saw him again. He was a toad too!

Comment

Originally posted by Kate66 View Post
              China Doll, was there a specific site that you searched? I'd been keen to look. This one (despite not running!) was mint. It was completely rebuilt and repainted and had a large, heavy front loader which is not standard. It really was absolutely beautiful (if you wanted a lawn ornament!). I am hoping to just get it back and perhaps sell it locally.
              I just did a general search and some sites came up. Don't know what area you are and that may matter or what bells and whistles yours has besides thwe bucket. 2wheel vs 4wheel drive would make a difference also. I assume yours is 2 since you hadn't mentioned it. As you know looks do not make it work so new shiney paint wouldn't be a big deal to me unless it was a show tractor.

Comment

I think the problem really is that none this sales arrangement was put in writing. Therein lies the problem.
                Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
                http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by IronwoodFarm View Post
                  I think the problem really is that none this sales arrangement was put in writing. Therein lies the problem.
                  Only if you look at it from a legal point of view, which doesn't matter as there won't be any legal proceedings.

From an ethical point of view, he knew what he sold me the tractor for, he knew that it never worked as evidenced by the amount of work he has now had to put into fixing it to sell it and he knows that the offer he accepted was substantially less than what he charged me for it in the 1st place. A "reasonable" person would have picked up the phone and said "hey, someone has offered me $3k, out of which I am going to keep $1k for the work I've done - you willing to take $2k for it or what do you want to do?".

Anyway, I am slightly more resigned to just losing the money now. I sent him a professional and courteous note (which I made sure an editor friend of mine read before I sent to make sure it didn't come across as emotional) basically saying - you can give the person back their money and bring me back my tractor. I'll wait and see how he responds. In reality, I have no idea who currently has possession of the tractor.

Comment

Unfortunately, this sounds like a done deal. Whoever he "sold" the tractor to has absolutely ZERO responsibility to return it, money back or otherwise. Sorry, but it sounds like you're SOL, as they say.

And "legal point of view" or not, you really should have put all of these transactions with your mechanic in writing. Because if you did, you might actually have gotten your tractor back. "Legal point of view" doesn't automatically mean going to court, it just means having a paper trail for justice. If your mechanic knew you had a "paper trail" re: your tractor, you most likely wouldn't be in this position right now. As it is, he knows it's frankly your word against his, which is pretty much worthless.

Maybe you can toss away $1,000+ flippantly, but I sure wouldn't be able to.

Comment

Then again, maybe this toad of mechanic did sell tractor for more and is just trying to screw you over again since he did it once with ease (in his mind) already.

Ask for a copy of the bill of sale as well as the buyers contact information.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacardi1 View Post

Maybe you can toss away $1,000+ flippantly, but I sure wouldn't be able to.
                        I do not think that is the point the OP is trying to make at all.

I doubt any of us can say that we have never depended on the honesty of someone we were making a transaction with. Yes, getting everything in writing is smart. Sometimes we mess up on that front. It does not mean we are any less wounded by the loss of the money or the feeling that we have been had.

Comment

I would consider taking him to small claims court. He should have gotten an ok to resell it for less than you agreed. You would have proof of what you paid, how long it took him to get it to you and he should provide some documents of the new repairs and who and for what amount he then resold it to. A court would ask questions like, Why would she pay you 5K and then resell and only expect to get 2K. When it doesn't make sense even when you do not have proof they will have to justify their actions.

Comment

Working...
                          X