• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

WWYD: Collecting on Unpaid Hay Bill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWYD: Collecting on Unpaid Hay Bill

Situation in a not-so-short nutshell: SO contracted with a buyer in downstate NY two years ago to sell SO's hay to buyer. Buyer contracted to buy 1,500 bales of hay and paid upfront for 500 bales with the agreement that he would pay off the balance with each load he picked up. He paid through 1,000 bales before not buying through the winter and having 500 bales remaining. The next spring, last year, he came back up for more hay.

SO agreed that buyer could take one load without payment and pay the following pick up. Buyer didn't pay at second pick up, things kept rolling in that direction, and buyer ended up taking the remaining 500 bales he had contracted for (but not paid for at this point) and emptying SO's hay mow (approximately 500 additional bales) without SO knowing about it until the end of the year. Hay mow was located at rented barn several miles away from our home farm and we had no need to go up there unless we were meeting buyer to load hay. We just assumed he had found someone else to buy from.

Naturally, SO tried to get in contact with buyer. Phone calls, letters, certified letters buyer signed for, etc. Unfortunately, buyer only has PO Box, so papers couldn't be served unless we had his physical address. A year later, we're still not any closer to tracking this guy down and we have a $3,000 outstanding bill with him.

Any ideas on how to proceed? Buyer is a big name farrier in Orange County NY and if there's anyone in that area that wants his name that genuinely thinks they can help, I'll PM it to them. I don't want to slander this guy's name since I have nothing against his farrier service, SO and I just want to get paid!
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

Do you have a phone number? Have you googled him? Tried zabasearch? Property records? There are ways to find people, be tenacious.

Comment

• Original Poster

We have two different cell numbers, neither of which lead to anything other than his name through searches, and of course he won't pick up. Google searches lead to info events he works as a farrier at and not much else. I've never heard of zabasearch, but I'll look into it. I've done multiple people searches, but with each one I've run into "Pay $15.95 to get all information on this person!"....and then $15.95 later, it's "Pay only $59.99 to locate this person!" I guess if that's the road I have to go down, I'll do it, but I don't want to keep throwing money into searches without actually getting any real information back.

Comment

I'm in Canada, so Im not sure how these things work down there, but even if you find the guy, theres a good chance you will still not be able to collect. We have just gone through a non-payment legal battle over an $18 000 hay bill. The result is that we have put another $5000 out (lawyer fees) and still not seen a penny, and probably never will...

Comment

I would file in small claims court and have a process server track him down in person at one of his farrier client's farms.
          McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Its costs like $35 to swear out a warrant in debt to get somebody in small claims. Just make sure you come to court with all your documents. Under tort law, a verbal agreement is legal and binding in most jurisdictions. I took an a$$hole client to court before I was old enough to buy beer and got all money owed plus interest and expenses.

As an aside....no wonder horse people get such bad reputations. There are so many good ones, yet the bad ones are so very bad. Our neighbor purchased a couple hundred acres of hay ground and after first cut, I warned him to NEVER sell to horse people on credit. He got taken for 4,000 small squares of alfalfa.
            Last edited by rustbreeches; Sep. 7, 2011, 09:20 PM. Reason: fatigue induced dyslexia
            Originally posted by The Saddle
            Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Laura, I found yet another new address for him through zapasearch so maybe we'll get lucky.

CruzN, we spoke with a lawyer a couple of times after we figured out what had happened and he said it was worth going after him. Small claims is $5,000 and under (if I remember correctly) so maybe with the smaller bill it will be easier to collect. $18,000?! What an a$$!!!

Laurierace, if this new address doesn't pan out, I'll definitely look into it. Thanks!

rustbreeches, the buyer actually signed a contract for the hay, so there's no doubt about payments and amounts, and he paid with a check so we won't have any problem documenting most of it. I can't believe how common this is. You're welcome for the free hay??

Comment

well we get taken every year for 5-10K....every single year.
                our choices are limited other to not take new customers or
                demand cash up front.

our current folks are both from Tn.One a Costa Rican named
                Gamboa from Cookeville and another an App breeder named Burke.

And of course the guy out west named Foss. Together they owe us 13K and have no intentions of ever paying us. It's just the loss you take.

(mini vent: and then as a funny note when we paid someone with a wire transfer yesterday they cried about being charged $15 for the wire. Ok, so you want to be paid for the load immediately,you don't want a check but you don't want the fees that come with "non checks"
                REALLY ???? do I just fly out to WY and scatter the cash above your house like confetti would that be better ????)

Tamara
                Last edited by Tamara in TN; Sep. 8, 2011, 10:35 AM.
                Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
                I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Comment

I've seen someone screw other people over for hay . They really didn't have the money, but it was very frustrating to know what was going on. Eventually that person had a very difficult time finding hay and started paying up.

That probably don't help much though, GL!
                  "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
                  Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
                  Need You Now Equine

Comment

If he shies at a big barn, just call and ask for the time of his next appointment. Meet him at the gate. Maybe you can shame him into paying. If he essentially steals your hay, I would have no problem "outing" him to his farrier clients. Public knowledge may give you some leverage. He took your hay, he is the bad guy. I bet he would be upset if his clients didn't pay him for services rendered. Actions should have consequences. Just my opinion. Good Luck with the deadbeat.

Comment

I wouldn't out him to his clients . The two are not related in any way. OP and farrier have an agreement on the purchase of something, his clients have agreements (you trim/shoe, I pay (usually)). Neither has anything to do with the other.

It would be like car repossession being reported to your boss. Eek.

I would however have no problem going to events he is at and asked for a private word, and serving him there.
                      COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

Giving credit on anything that gets EATEN is a bad deal!! We got stiffed several years ago by a horse breeder from Tenn. when there was a drought/shortage of hay there. We custom square baled a rented hay field (1,000 bales) and sold over 100 round bales to one man. This was hay we would NOT have baled under normal conditions.) He paid up front for the rounds and came to get them on a weekly basis. He did not pay for the squares except the loads he took. We were out the field rental, the cut/rake/bale fees, the labor to stack 800 bales of hay on site, 100 of $$ for good tarps, etc. After all the round bales were hauled, the man took one load of squares, but then never came back for the rest!! He then told us it was took far to drive!! It wasn't too far for the first 4 months and when he contracted to get the hay!! The land owner was also pissed at having a huge stack of hay in his yard with blue tarps covering it!! After a typical Oklahoma winds of winter destroyed the tarps, the hay was ruined. The next spring we ended up burning the stack, raking out the wires and leveling the site...All at our own expense!! We learned our lesson!!
                        Your cusomer not only failed to pay you...he STOLE hay without your knowledge. I would think this was more than a failure to pay situation....more like criminal/theft??
                        Collecting your money may be hard. Good luck, though.
                        www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                        Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

Originally posted by crosscreeksh View Post
                          Giving credit on anything that gets EATEN is a bad deal!! We got stiffed several years ago by a horse breeder from Tenn. when there was a drought/shortage of hay there.
                          can you PM me his name??

Tamara
                          Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
                          I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Comment

Sent you a PM. Jackie
                            www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                            Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

Originally posted by Laurierace View Post
                              I would file in small claims court and have a process server track him down in person at one of his farrier client's farms.
                              Think this is a super idea - they don't necessarily have to make a scene out of it, but it is where he earns his bread and butter...and would most likely be there. He must have a regular schedule of sorts...
                              But he thought, "This procession has got to go on." So he walked more proudly than ever, as his noblemen held high the train that wasn't there at all. H.C.Anderson

Comment

huh. learn something new every day. . . .I didn't know it was even possible
                                to buy hay and then pay later. . .. Never crossed my mind, I've always
                                paid for hay when I bought it. in full.

I wouldn't ask a hay seller to give me hay without giving them money, and
                                on the flip side, nor would I pay for hay that I didn't take possession of
                                at the time.

I hope you are able to collect. .. a plumber who screwed us over
                                still owes us $2500. . .and the PI we hired won't call us back. . .

Comment

Address

I am in NJ so your state laws may be different. If you have a claim and file it with the court, once you receive a docket number you can request address certification from the Post Office. The post office will give you the physical address of the PO Box holder. You supply the court with the document the PO supplies and they send someone to serve the other party. You may have to pay 15.00 or so to have an officer serve but you get that back in your costs if you win your case.

Good luck

Comment

Having successfully done the small claims court thing (in CA), it helps if you can send a letter (certified and regular) demanding payment and stating if you do not receive payment in a certain timeframe that you will pursue legal action. Of course, once you are in court he will deny having received it but you'll look good to the judge. Ask me how I know this.

Keep in mind that winning in small claims court also does not guarantee timely payment. Ask me how I know this too. I paid for a sheriff to serve the scumbucket I was dealing with. Eventually I did get paid.

If your scumbucket runs a business, has a business license etc, you might be able to get a business address from whoever in your area handles such things. I had to track done the individual owner of the business I was dealing with.
                                    Last edited by atlatl; Sep. 9, 2011, 10:18 AM. Reason: Another thought

Comment

Tidy Way

The really tidy way to get your money is to put a lien on his house. It may take quite a long time but eventually his house will be for sale and lo and behold you are right in line.

Comment

You want a judgement (I'm fairly certain you can't put a lien on his house for an unpaid bill). Then you have lots of options.

Comment

Working...
                                        X