• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Updated Durango for 2H Trailer? Other Trucks with "decent" gas mileage for towing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Originally posted by poltroon View Post
    Are you the poster who had the power steering and power brakes fail going downhill while hauling? If so, I don't blame you for wanting to ditch it if they can't find it!

But surely there's someone who's a wizard with Chevy electrical systems in OC or San Diego!!
    Yep, that's me!

Since then it's died on me once with my kids in the car (making a left from a light, died in the middle of a non-busy overpass) and just this morning as I was cruising down the 5 on the way to work; happily I had enough momentum to make it to the shoulder. Both times back in business in less than 5 minutes (since I am now pretty damn good at whipping out my spare fuses, getting the hood up and switching them out! ), but what if it dies on me and I CANT make it to the shoulder?

I do not trust it anymore and I feel like I'm running out of my 9 lives on when the damn thing dies on me. Spent a lot of money at the mechanic too for him to diagnose exactly... nothing.

It's just so frustrating because I really only tow once in awhile. In an ideal world it would semi-retire to be my tow-vehicle only and I could downsize to something much more RELIABLE, economical, and practical. Double Sigh.
    ~Living the life I imagined~

Comment

What year is your Suburban? Mine was doing the same thing. Basically randoming losing all power. It was a fuel pump/system issue that ended up being a recall after we had ours fixed. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by sspry View Post
        What year is your Suburban? Mine was doing the same thing. Basically randoming losing all power. It was a fuel pump/system issue that ended up being a recall after we had ours fixed. Just wanted to throw that out there.
        It's a '99. I called the dealer this morning after I read your post but based on the VIN, there are no recalls for my model/ year. I'm trying to decide if I want to just suck it up and pay dealer service prices to have the truck thoroughly looked at. The 2-vehicle option is really the best one since this truck is long since paid for and is worth ~maybe~ $4000 at best. (But might cost that much to fix whatever is wrong with it!)

Comment

Yeah and the new Durangos are holding true to my Dodge maxim (as in, don't buy one). Our sister agency just got a bunch of new ones -- already in the shop with broken door latch, transmission shifting problems, and brake issues (all on one vehicle!!). They've only got 17K on them, sorry buggers.
          Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
          We Are Flying Solo

Comment

I didn't read all the replies so hope I'm not repeating. I looked into a new (2011) Durango for my new personal vehicle (have truck already for trailer)....WOW STICKER SHOCK!!!! I could buy a really nice 3/4 ton truck for the money they are getting for those Durango's!!! I bought a Liberty instead for over $10K less
            I don't think the Durango would get all that better gas mileage than a 1/2 ton truck anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by hey101 View Post

I do not trust it anymore and I feel like I'm running out of my 9 lives on when the damn thing dies on me.
              I don't blame you there!

Comment

My 3/4 ton diesel gets better milage towing than my Infinity QX4 gets on its best day.

Comment

Originally posted by vtdobes View Post
                  I didn't read all the replies so hope I'm not repeating. I looked into a new (2011) Durango for my new personal vehicle (have truck already for trailer)....WOW STICKER SHOCK!!!! I could buy a really nice 3/4 ton truck for the money they are getting for those Durango's!!! I bought a Liberty instead for over $10K less
                  I don't think the Durango would get all that better gas mileage than a 1/2 ton truck anyway.
                  Yup, we looked at a 2010 demo with 5K miles on it. It was loaded with all the bells and whistles but they wanted $43,000. Needless to say we didn't buy it
                  I wasn't always a Smurf
                  Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
                  "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                  The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

I have a 2003 3/4 ton Dodge Diesel and on the highway without the trailer I get around 20mph, maybe a bit more. Loaded with one horse in my two horse BP I'm around 15mph. And that includes some slow roads with stops and some TX Hill Country (not mountains, but not bad for TX). When I was looking for a vehicle, my Dad was arguing with me constantly, trying to get me into a 1/2 ton gas truck, thinking it would be all I would need with my trailer. Luckily, two of my brothers stepped in and made him back off regarding this. They are both dealer reps for major trailer brands, so have hauled a bunch. One uses his 1/2 ton in town for his own horses, but didn't even feel comfortable using it with a two horse trailer going down the highway. The 3/4 ton just gives you more stopping power, and more power to get going. And when I compare my mileage to other people with 3/4 ton gas trucks, my truck gets better mileage empty and loaded than they do. It is definately worth it in every way, and I don't think I would have been happy or felt as safe going with a smaller truck.

Comment

I used to have an F-150 that I pulled a light 2H BP trailer and got around 11 miles towing (all flat as I'm in Fla) and 14-15 around town (no trailer), maybe 17-18 on highway. It pulled the trailer, but it was a single cab, so it really didn't have enough wheelbase. I would white knuckle it when the semis passed me on the highway.

After 9 years, I sold it and got an '04 2500HD Dodge Diesel crew cab and didn't even feel the trailer behind me. I got a
                      2H GN weekender and travel all over the state camping. I still don't feel the trailer back there. I love it. I've had zero issues with the truck and it now has 84,000 miles on it, I plan to keep it for many many years.

I get 19 - 19.5 driving around town, 22-24 on the highway, and it drops to 13.5-14.4 pulling the trailer. Diesel is pricer to buy, more costly to maintain, but you do get better mileage and peace of mind. The truck will also last alot longer, so if you add that into the equation, I think the overall price is much closer. I just know I don't want to be undertrucked ever again and I haven't experienced what you have.

I do generally use the trailer 2-3 times a month for local rides throughout the year and then 10-12 camping trips during camping season. This is my only vehicle as I average around 11,500 miles a year which isn't a huge amount. I don't think the cost of a 2nd vehicle is worth it to me, but it might be for you.

Comment

I so feel your pain.

I currently have a Lexus RX that came with a class III hitch and wired with a 4-flat. After buying the vehicle (two years ago) I thought "Hey, I could tow one of the smaller Brenderups with this" and started a search. I got the deal of the century on a Brenderup Baron, the largest model, which maxes out the RX. I borrow my friend's 3/4 ton diesel to trailer anything but very short, very flat distances.

As of two weeks ago the RX was totaled by hail damage, which is somewhat convenient because it didn't meet my towing needs. As others have mentioned, there are really just two options:

1 large vehicle capable of towing that is also your daily driver.

2 vehicles, one with good gas mileage as a daily driver and the tow vehicle.

I live very close to both work and the barn, and make long trips only a couple times a year, so the large daily driver wouldn't be as painful for me as it would be for others. However, with the price of gas being an unknown variable (and very likely to increase), do I really want the car/truck/SUV I drive every day to get under 20mpg? Normally that would be an easy "no", but I also don't want to be dependent upon other people with capable vehicles for when I need to tow.

I thought I had my mind made up last night and was going to go with a larger SUV, but as of this morning I'm back to thinking two vehicles.

Clearly, I don't have any great suggestions for you, but at least you are not alone in this dilemma.

Comment

• Original Poster

I am extremely happy to report that my DH figured out the problem with my truck today .

So we are going to hang on to our Suburban (it's the 2500 with the big engine) and look at a more economical, reliable sedan or crossover-type vehicle.

It's a frustrating dilemma to be practical and economical but also account for these big beasties we all love that are really not practical nor economical!

Comment

Reasonable gas mileage AND towing should never be used in the same sentance...

Comment

Glad your DH got the problem figured out and it's a relatively simple and definitely inexpensive fix!

My current plan is to drive my small SUV on it's salvage title, borrow my friend's truck if I need to move my guy, look for an older tow vehicle, and save for a nice small daily driver. It will be weird not worrying about door dings or bumper scrapes!

Comment

Working...
                              X