• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Hurricane preparation: what would you do differently next time?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane preparation: what would you do differently next time?

Just wondering what you learned. We were well-prepared for what we got, but didn't really have a contigency plan for the nearby tornado warnings. Next time I will put ID on the horses (as suggested) as they would have had to have left the barn to go into a pasture if a tornado had actually headed our way.

I put breakaway halters on the horses with my name, cell phone number and address written on them in permanent ink.

Comment

I would not count on your generator working and would fill up more water tubs than We did. We lost our power and the generator did not work right... Some circuit went bad. Another thought is to have parts on hand to repair a generator.

Comment

Cut the grass. I did intend too, but this storm came in 12 hours earlier than expected. With everything else needing done it was my last thing to do and just ran out of time.

Now I have leaves everywhere. Saw another thread about red maple leave and thought well we are surrounded by woods and who knows what kind they are and where they came from.

Next storm grass gets cut so the leaves can blow on by!!

Comment

• Original Poster

In that same vein, if you don't use your bathtub--check it to make sure the drain is tight. Mine was leaky so I had to rig something up.

Comment

Take out more cash & set it aside. I don't carry much cash, normally, but when the power goes out, you need cash for those stores/suppliers that do open with generators.

Buy some camp lamps or oil lamps. We had plenty of flashlights & candles, but they don't throw a lot of light for those long, dark evenings. Or maybe a headlamp for reading!

Comment

I had a spare carbuerator for the generator, which was good, but I hadn't checked to see that it would bolt right on. It took a half hour to get the pressed in right angle fuel inlet out to press in the straight one that we needed for our model. We hadn't used it since Isabel, and even though I had run the fuel out of it, the old carb was clogged.

We fueled, oiled, and sharpened the chainsaws, but I didn't fill the tractor and it ran out while I was pushing the last tree out of the road right after it went through. No one in our neighboring developments could get out. I knew it was close, and just as I was pushing the last three out of the road that had probably 20 families blocked in, the tractor gave me warning by the way it was running that I had the choice of moving the tree out of the road, running it completely out of fuel, or driving it over to the side of the road and not have to bleed the lines. I chose to move the tree, walked home and got Pam to come pull me back to the house with the truck. I knew I didn't have any fuel at home either. We bled the lines today after I went and bought some fuel.

So next time, EVERYTHING gets topped off.
              www.HistoricHousePreservation.com

Comment

I would rent plenty of movies, since it got stressful listening to the 'weather'.

I don't know why I thought of this, but I'd make coffee to drink as in iced coffee. I just had a craving and thought it would be hard to make if electric went out, which it did.
                I have a generator, but thought, now if I had an iced coffee, it would help motiavate me.

I did fill up tubs, had extra buckets of water on hand.
                Also, topped off all vehicles, and had plenty of gas on hand for the generator.

I felt pretty prepared, but then again, it was really just a rainstorm here.
                Vermont is in sorry shape. Some roads in my town are washed out.
                I can always ride a horse thru the woods and trails if need be to get to town, or take the atv if feeling lazy.

I feel lucky that we had it easy. But, next storm...its going to be movie time for me.
                save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Comment

We have been through David Fran Isabel and Ivan and probably some I have forgotten so we have the system down pat. Also Agnes but we didn't have a farm then

I need to weatherstrip the garage door on the hay barn though. Water got in under the door and it would have been a disaster if I had more than 200 bales in there.

We have a whole house generator that self tests weekly.

Before we installed that we had a portable generator but also used power inverters. They are not particularly expensive and will run off a diesel tractor or even a spare car battery. My daughter keeps marine fish tanks and they can't go long at all without power. She would keep a charged battery in her apartment for emergencies recharging it with a battery charger after use.
                  I wasn't always a Smurf
                  Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
                  "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                  The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

Not a thing, we had ice in freezer, cooler cleaned and sitting right there, fuel in everything, if it held water it was full and in wash stall, every pasture had filled trougths and sheds packed w/ alfalfa, herds sorted to be drama free. Barn horses left out until last minute double bedded stalls, bought extra feed, closed windows on windy side, cleaned gutters put extensions on down spouts to keep water away fro all buildings, hired skid loader to tweek drive buidl water diverson berms, took jump rails up and stored, took anything that would fly in and stored, trash cans put in garage, dumpsters end of drive pulled up into trees, took solar lught off driveway, put all potted and hanging plants in safe place. we took 2 days to prep 30 acres 18 horses 6 dogs and 11 cats (barn cats0.
                    I charged my kindle, bought mag's, newspaers, charge computer batteries, I washed all our laundry and cleaned the house. We found those big tubs you use for storage fit in bath well filled w/ water and set a pitcher by each. w/ three bathrooms 2 people were felt prepared. Put double wick candles in bathrooms w/ lighter, and boxes of generic wet ones. I cleaned the little pool and chlorined the water. after a clean up day of chain sawing had a place for a quick dip n soap up. Gas for grill filled and grill ready food bought. Probably the most prepared I've ever been. Today dumped massive amounts of water down the drains, but no flooded stalls, no wet anything. Just alot of bottled water in garage and 9lbs of ice still left. Some fence lines still to clear bur everyone and everything came thru in tip top shape.....

Comment

No really prep, but I see people draging lawn sweepers around picking up leaves. I want one and will try to get one before next time. I'm in the process of trying to pick them up and keep reminding the horses goats eat leaves...horses eat grass. Go figure plenty of nice grass and they are trying to beat me to the leaves.

Comment

Get cattle ear tags at the feed store and write the following on tags:

1. Horse's name
                        2. Your name
                        3. Best phone/contact number
                        4. Vet/Clinic name and number

The ear tags can be zip tied to a halter, and as our vet recommended, braided into the mane in case halters break/come off.

The tags come in a variety of sizes and colors and a sharpie works great on them.

As a bonus, I used the extra tags in the bag to label the sheets and blankets so I know which belongs to which horse.

ETA: I would put home and cell #'s on tags. Our home phone is not working, but cell are. During Isabel our cell didn't work, but the land line did.

Comment

Originally posted by judybigredpony View Post
                          Not a thing, we had ice in freezer, cooler cleaned and sitting right there, fuel in everything, if it held water it was full and in wash stall, every pasture had filled trougths and sheds packed w/ alfalfa, herds sorted to be drama free. Barn horses left out until last minute double bedded stalls, bought extra feed, closed windows on windy side, cleaned gutters put extensions on down spouts to keep water away fro all buildings, hired skid loader to tweek drive buidl water diverson berms, took jump rails up and stored, took anything that would fly in and stored, trash cans put in garage, dumpsters end of drive pulled up into trees, took solar lught off driveway, put all potted and hanging plants in safe place. we took 2 days to prep 30 acres 18 horses 6 dogs and 11 cats (barn cats0.
                          I charged my kindle, bought mag's, newspaers, charge computer batteries, I washed all our laundry and cleaned the house. We found those big tubs you use for storage fit in bath well filled w/ water and set a pitcher by each. w/ three bathrooms 2 people were felt prepared. Put double wick candles in bathrooms w/ lighter, and boxes of generic wet ones. I cleaned the little pool and chlorined the water. after a clean up day of chain sawing had a place for a quick dip n soap up. Gas for grill filled and grill ready food bought. Probably the most prepared I've ever been. Today dumped massive amounts of water down the drains, but no flooded stalls, no wet anything. Just alot of bottled water in garage and 9lbs of ice still left. Some fence lines still to clear bur everyone and everything came thru in tip top shape.....
                          Impressive!

Comment

Originally posted by judybigredpony View Post
                            Yep, that's pretty impressive all right. It's unlikely I will ever have to be in a hurricane or big storm (the weather here is relatively drama free thank goodness!) but if so I want to be this prepared.
                            where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

Comment

Originally posted by ddb View Post
                              Next storm grass gets cut so the leaves can blow on by!!
                              I learned something similar from Hurricane Floyd - be sure to get the honeysuckle and morning glory vines off the fence. If you don't, when the ground gets saturated and the wind can't blow through your fence? Yeah. It will topple over.
                              I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

I wasn't in this one - but from previous experience:

Have a generator that can run your well. And make sure your well is wired up such that it can be run into your generator (and isn't hard-line wired into your house).

Have plenty of gas for said generator.

Make sure the people you are evacuating to know it may not be just a few days. (And make sure you know/understand that, too!)

Now I've forgotten the other ones...a rgh.
                                Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Comment

I want to add, that the people in Vermont who are stranded certainly weren't included in the warnings, and even if they were...they were talking today that it could be weeks to months before bridges and roads will be repaired. They are hoping they can put in an emergency road into some of these towns for emergency use only. Its really just awfully devastating. They think it will take a long time to repair.
                                  Vermont is mountains with valleys with rivers and towns. So imagine the rivers surrounding your town taking out the roads....you can't get out or in for that matter.
                                  They are bringing in emergency supplies by helicopter.

I don't think anyone can be prepared for that. I think quite a few folk are going to have to relocate. Its really a crisis there.
                                  save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Comment

Originally posted by fivehorses View Post
                                    I want to add, that the people in Vermont who are stranded certainly weren't included in the warnings, and even if they were...

I don't think anyone can be prepared for that. I think quite a few folk are going to have to relocate. Its really a crisis there.
                                    I recall that one of the towns I have lived in had been cut off for weeks some years before we lived there and the townspeople had gotten together using the Grange and the Volunteer Fire Department and created a disaster preparedness plan for the next time this happened. There was a lot of money in this town and many retired professionals so the money was there and the desire and the expertise, and access to the commercial fishing fleet and at least a dozen large boats with big generators capable of running shore operations, desalinators and the ability to head off to points elsewhere and bring stuff back. But this was an unusual case.

More likely is like where we bought our house - we were at the end of a canyon with no way out and no ability to get fuel or food if the river flooded the town and took out the bridge and the main drag at a couple of critical locations. We were pretty prepared to tough it out but as far as getting to work and having an income - not going to happen. There were alternate routes that you could use on foot or with a motorcycle but if the river took out certain critical spots on the main road you'd be days hiking out of there.
                                    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                                    Incredible Invisible

Comment

I was really happy with everything. I had 4 days water stored up and I was only without power 10 hours. I had everyone in a special pen, and I was up half the night checking them every hour; everyone was fine. I spent this summer finally fixing the grading & drainage around the barn, so water vanished as soon as it ran towards the barn. I parked my vehicles away from big trees, and no vehicle was damaged. Horses had breakaway halters & all horses are chipped just in case. No injuries, loose horses, or problems. I am so glad I had days to prepare!

In a perfect world I would say not have big trees right along a fenceline, because those trees tend to fall and damage fencing. But horses were not out when it happened. And the damage is not the end of the world. Trees can fall in any storm; it doesn't take a hurricane.

I know some people are gung-ho over generators. But, although I didn't have power overnight, I still have $2k - $4k in my bank account (cost to have a properly sized one installed). My friend bragged hers up, and it sounded great until I found out it takes up to 3 gallons of propane an hour and doesn't run the whole house. Sorry, it's just not a priority for me.

I am grateful my family, pets, and horses were not hurt. No damage was done to house or barn. Overall, I felt like with all the notice we had plus good information online, I was well prepared.
                                      Veterinarians for Equine Welfare

Comment

While we were well prepared at my place, with extra water and everything put away etc.... Horses, house, and barn faired very well no damage.

While I thank God everyone is Ok, we are going on Day 5 with no power in western Morris County NJ. Water is starting to run low, but I can drive and refill 5 gallon jugs if needed.

I am currently on a quest for a standby generator. I would like it to run my well and one refrigerator. I mind you I live 60 miles from NYC, on a county road, not the middle of nowhere. 5 days and not one repair truck seen!

In our area when we lose power it will typically take 12 to 24 hrs to be restored. So it will not be a waste of money, I was always on the fence about spending the money on a generator, but now I regret not doing it!

I will have one installed in the next month!

Comment

Working...
                                        X