• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

"Hippies" Unite!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Hippies" Unite!

Okay all you crazy Hippies, what amazing counter-consumerism, wild & crazy, beautiful thing are you working on for your farm?

We've already got our Chicken Tractor which I'm lovin'.

Our next project is going to be a solar pop/beer can heater for the chicken coop! Not sure it's going to work, but it seemed like a really fun thing to try. For now we're still in the collecting/drinking stage .
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Wait...your chickens like warm beer? Are they European?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Comment

• Original Poster

I thought it was whisky that was supposed to warm you up in the winter?
      (or brandy maybe?)

Popcan solar heater: http://lifehacker.com/5574597/build-...n-solar-heater
      "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
      Need You Now Equine

Comment

How PC for them to call the plans 'for a popcan' solar heater.

We have a Canadian forced air wood/coal furnace. Gramps set a hot water heater next to it and ran pipe thru the furnace to heat our water. The old cistern is lovely too.

We live in the original 'old hippie farm house' on the road. (back in the 60-70's; we bought it in '79) They had kept chickens in the basement, it was quite a mess to clean up.
        Don't let anyone tell you that your ideas or dreams are foolish. There is a millionaire walking around who invented the pool noodle.

Comment

Cool Chicken Tractor!

I'm sure my neighbors think I am some sort of Back-To-Nature freakazoid.

Exhibit A:
          My "wildflower meadow" - at least an acre that, were it theirs, would be mown lawn with neat circles of mulch around evenly-spaced plantings.
          Instead there's a random assortment of perennials, grasses & opportunistic flowering weedage (Queen Anne's Lace, Solidago, thistle, etc) that finally - after 7 years - showed enough color this year to look intentional.
          At least to me

Exhibit B:
          My berm.
          Started with rocks, soil and other spoils dug up by my excavator when he made the pad for the barn & arena.
          My intent was to have it block the view from the road & create a visual barrier between my pastures & the public.
          First year it was planted with tons o' perennials given to me by a neighbor.
          Most of which bit the dust except for the violets, a few hostas, some truly spectacular white iris and the unkillable orange daylilies I've heard called ditch lilies.
          Right now it is an impressive barrier indeed.....topped as it is by a stand of Monster Ragweed - around 6-8'.
          I'd pull this down except it harbors a population of sparrows and killdeer and hey!, they need a place to live too, right?
          *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
          Steppin' Out 1988-2004
          Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
          Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Nothing really specific, currently. But as a child of the sixties we are kind of hard-wired to be thrifty, recycle, beg, borrow, steal where necessary and not be subject to conspicuous consumerism. My husband made his wonderful salmon smoker from an old fridge and found parts, and we are rather famous for its products.

He harvests his grapes because they are lousy eating and makes grappa. Then he and one of his buddies distill it and have pretty potent moonshine.

When we moved to this property 35 years ago, every time we dug up something we unearthed more stuff - in the old days people did not go to the tip, they just dug a hole and dumped stuff in it. Found in the pastures several old carthorse shoes, bottles, flat iron and nostalgia.

Sharing is alive and well here, too. We get gifts of wine, veggies, honey, fruit, in return for grappa, liqueurs, extra donations that we can't use, and it is truly wonderful to be able to give and share our bounty.

So we are still hippies, in a way, 'cept we like our comforts, too. My truck, though is like something Jed Clampert had in the Beverley Hillbillies.
            Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Not hippies, but growing up in the mountains we didn't have running water, electricity, phones, cars, nothing like that.

We had a really nice creek that we hand dug a ditch from, above the house and that water we kept in a cistern and gravity flow into the kitchen sink.
              The kitchen sink drained directly outside into a flower bed.

Got the great idea of trying to get hot water, so we got a corner shaped metal tank we inserted in the very large fire place where we cooked and always kept a fire going.
              That fire place was what warmed the house in the winter.
              The water pipe went from that tank to the kitchen sink and so, voila, now we had hot water, sometimes boiling water.

Our drinking water came from a little spring 1/3 mile from the house.
              A kid's chore was to run over to it with unfired clay pots and bring them back full of fresh water, that was used only to drink.

We boiled, cooked, washed and watered the stock with the ditch/cistern water.

We kept a large garden and much of that was sold to the store in our little mountain town, about 1 1/2 mile from our farm.

Sometimes, you are a "hippie" by choice, other times, that is the way the world around you is.

Comment

Projects

I am finding more to do with my recycled Billboard since the one I ordered was almost double what I needed for what I initally needed to cover. Highly recommend them if you are looking for heavy duty tarps, shop around. I bought it from recycledbillboards.com but then found a local place saving 39.00 shipping fees and about 40% on the tarp.

Just found an Asian Long Haired Beetle Larve or I am 90% sure it is so its off to the wooded area to find if we have a infestation of this invasive species.

Just finished weathering a few bat houses to put up soon.

Of course the gardening.........

Comment

hmmm, not sure if this is hippie or just red-neck---Whenever something comes apart, my first thought is "Can I fix it with baling string?" It may be a temporary fix until I can do better or it may work just fine w/the hay string & stay that way. I like working with hay string; it is free and plentiful.
                  There is no such thing as "bad" horsemanship or "good" horsemanship. There is simply Horsemanship or the absence thereof.

www.oldmorgans.blogspot.com

Comment

I make beautiful aged compost from the manure and straw from our 6 horses. I pile it up, water it in summer, and have a system for turning it. I make about 40 cubic yards of finished compost per year.
                    I put an ad on Craigslist periodically and people come and I load their truck with my tractor. They get beautiful "black gold" compost. I have repeat "customers." I never charge for it. Always free.

But some wonderful trading happens. People are so grateful and want to give me something in return. It has been so much fun. They bring: homemade jam, zucchini nut bread, honey, veggies, garden seeds, dried herbs, sage to smudge my house, frozen lemon juice for lemonade, chicken eggs, etc.

I love trading like this! And for the record, I was born in '68 so not a hippie but definitely born in the summer of love!

Comment

If the baling twine will not fix it, Duct tape will !!

Actually, this thread shows how simple life can be the best. We are happy, uncomplicated and like to share like we were taught to in kindergarten. We do not like waste, we are used to honest hard work and don't buy into the keeping up with the Jones' mentality.

I'd probably see eye to eye with all these posters, including enjoying our horses.

My husband's family was definitely pre-hippie. It was their way of life for generations with no running water or electricity and living off the land as the pioneered across Canada from the east. Babies were had at home, people died at home and only staples were purchased by the sackfull - families were large then.
                      Diapers were washed by hand, water drawn from the well and heated with wood.
                      Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Well, in between getting ready for a hurricane, I've been frantically canning peaches that I had ordered in advance at the farmers market...of course not knowing how crazy this week would turn out. Not sure if that's hippie or not but it's not common anymore for folks to preserve their own food as much. When I was a kid, everyone did...but not so anymore. I have apples to do next as well as to dehydrate some.

I guess having an organic garden is a bit hippie also. So strike one there for me. I also have chickens running loose foraging all around the farm. Definitely old fashioned..maybe a little "homesteader" in flavor.

My husband is talking about (note we are still in the planning stage...you know men) building solar panels for us. He got some dvd or whatnot that shows you how to do this inexpensively. Our electric bills are bad for this place so that would be super welcome.

I keep trying to talk my husband into turning our house back into a duplex, renting it, and putting up a Yurt to live in. Don't laugh, some of those yurts are amazing. We live in a structure that was a duplex and have been wanting to convert it to a single home...but that is an expensive undertaking and we have not gotten very far other than a hole in the wall to walk through. I would suspect that if we do put up a yurt one day, we will almost certainly be labeled hippies.

As it is now I wonder what our neighbors think. Any given morning we have turkeys loose that went over their fence, chickens in the yard, horses of course, and now ducks. I'm sure they think some major whack jobs live here now...farming the old way versus just building a chicken house and locking all the birds inside.

Foxtrot...I was raised in a family much like your husbands...very self sufficient hard working farmers. We bought little for food as we raised or grew most of it. I wish I'd paid more attention to food preservation when I was a girl but "Canning for Dummies" is a good book for adults who want to give it a try!

Comment

• Original Poster

DB having just moved in ourselves, I'm sure our neighbours are thinking the same thing . Actually having steadily added horse, cows, chicken, lamb, turkey, goats, ducks, other horse... they are probably just hoping we are going to stop sometime soon .

I love canning!! I just learned how to do it on my own a few years ago & do a few jars of pickles every year (BTW I hate pickles, I do it to give them away). This year I didn't have the time for my cucumber plants, but I do have a large bag of currants frozen waiting to find the right sized jars!

The crab-apples are coming in too, not sure what I'm going to do with 3 whole trees of them... but jelly sounds good . Plus I just found something new at the back of the paddock, not sure what it is yet, but maybe chokeberry which is supposed to make a nice tea.

There are some amazing videos on youtube, and that's really all you need to learn.

If we ever build new, I'm only doing it if we can make a straw-bale house! No plans to do that any time soon we love our century old place. Yurt/rent is a great way to pay for the reno though DB!

OM I have learned the only thing that should not be fixed with baling string is fences (temporary is fine but you have to actually fix them) other then that - it fixes EVERYTHING!

If we we're going on record I was born in the '80s.
                          Need You Now Equine

Comment

Originally posted by Daydream Believer View Post
                            I wish I'd paid more attention to food preservation when I was a girl but "Canning for Dummies" is a good book for adults who want to give it a try!
                            I've been fortunate in that I've got one Grandma left - and I've bent her ear a few times. She's the one who taught me to can. I spent many a hot summer afternoon snapping beans when I was a kid.

I remember being resentful at being used as child labor... but in truth it was a wonderful time in my life and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. That and being a barn rat was a great way to grow up. There is not much to be learned hanging out at the mall with a bunch of other pre-teens. Nothing good, anyway.

Maybe I'm just waxing nostalgic. Dunno.
                            Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                            Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                            -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Original Poster

I don't know JS that's the way we're bringing our kids up & they love it now .

Can't keep the 3 year old from playing with the meat chicks, he thinks they are hilarious! We're going to have to buy him some pet chicks in about 3 weeks when the meat chicks go in :S.

But the boys are SO happy - for them it's been 3 months of pure bliss since we moved in! Lots of space to run around, animals to pet and play with, new things to see & places to explore . I had the 3 y/o IN the water tank yesterday scrubbing it because he asked to!

I've heard a few adults complaining about having been relegated to the plucking squad when it was time for the meat birds. Sitting outside with friends & family, talking and doing pretty simple manual labour then having a big feast - somehow doesn't sound to me like the worst Saturday afternoon activity .
                              Need You Now Equine

Comment

Not sure if that's hippie or not but it's not common anymore for folks to preserve their own food as much.
                                Perhaps I'm a hippie, or perhaps it's just that I live in western Oregon (including 5 years in Eugene, where the streets are paved with granola). Here, you're a bit weird if you're not into organic gardening, sustainable green living, or preserving food (or at least pretend to be). If you don't have a green thumb, there are farmer's markets on practically every block. Solar panels, yurts and domes are not considered at all unusual or eccentric.

I live in a somewhat redneck community near Portland where Dueling Banjos alternates with the Grateful Dead. That guy blasting down the highway in his big, ole' truck likely has an organic garden. My only complaint is that people don't get my idea of garden art. They tell me that the dump will indeed take the rusty box springs that my roses grow through...
                                They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

Comment

Sometimes I just wonder .... what do city people have to talk about???

I read all the truck, tractor, pasturing, gardening, haying, fencing, barn building, vetting, breeding, foal raising threads and wonder.
                                  Don't let anyone tell you that your ideas or dreams are foolish. There is a millionaire walking around who invented the pool noodle.

Comment

I'm a bit of a vain hiippy but still a hippy.

I garden organic and preserve everything I have time for, today was mostly a day off. Just threw together a batch of Elderberry/Chokecherry wine. Peach is already fermenting. Just learning the ropes of micro wine making and thinking about trying beer this winter.

So far I've canned peaches, pickles, and stewed tomatoes. Frozen corn, broccoli,cauliflower, wild raspberries, wild blackberries. More tomato products to go plus apples. Potatoes, beets, carrots, cantaloupe, squash and pumpkin left to harvest. What can you do with spaghetti squash?

It's been a tremendous undertaking while working full time. I have not ridden hardly at all this summer. Hope to make up for it later this fall.

Did you know if you gave your horses apples for treats that some 15 years later you will have a regular orchard? We must have 50 some trees that were NOT there 16 years ago.

DH built a chicken tractor for my pet bantams as well as a large coop for our egg layers. He hunts and fishes. I gather.

Oh and DH brought me some ripe hazelnuts so I'll be picking some of them too.

Just need a coffee field and some wacky tobacky.
                                    And a bunch of money so we can go off grid.

Comment

Don't have the wonderful first-hand heritage of some of these posters, but my folks lived on the homesteaded farm acreage of great grandpa (from Norway) and told tales of canning, horrendous winters, homemade outside solar showers, and riding the seed planter behind two draft horses.

My form of hippie life is to have stayed in the same house on 3acres since 1978, mightily resisting the marketing pressures of buying a new house and moving constantly.

We have over 75 different varities of trees, all planted by us, every kind of fruit tree that will live here, berries, grapes, and raised beds for summer gardening.

When the old roof goes, there will be solar shingles on the house, and I'm looking at solar-powered lights and fans for the new barn being built.

Time to close the shop and run - gotta go, there's more to add but not this minute!

Comment

Originally posted by JSwan View Post
                                        I spent many a hot summer afternoon snapping beans when I was a kid.

I remember being resentful at being used as child labor... but in truth it was a wonderful time in my life and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.
                                        Oh God, the green beans! If I *ever* see another kitchen table with a three-foot pile of green beans on top of it again I think I might faint I finally got my driver's license and I went out and bought Mom FLATS of canned green beans to persuade her to give it up!
                                        Last edited by Mosey_2003; Aug. 29, 2011, 04:13 PM. Reason: Grammar FAIL
                                        It's a small world -- unless you gotta walk home.

Comment

Working...
                                        X