• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horse trailer as moving van: Some real numbers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse trailer as moving van: Some real numbers

Y'all who pencil whip stuff like this all the time: will you help me not blow up my truck/kill other people?

The plan: F-350 will pull the 2H BH DR with all my crap 3,000 and over the Rockies. It's heavy. Too heavy?

Here are the real numbers:

CAT scale says the whole shebang weights #13,860.

From the door of the truck:

GVWR #9,990 (and "light weight is #6,400") So the truck weighs which number, or these are what the truck and carbo/hauler can handle? (That doesn't make sense to me.)

Trailer, from the manufacture's plate with the VIN and whatnot:

GAWR (all axels) #3,500. I think this is total dry weight for the trailer.

GVWR is #8,550. So this trailer can be packed with up to #5,050 of crap?

Crunch that all up for me. I think I might be #400 over weight. Yes? No? other stuff to consider?

It feels heavy. It feels like I can drive it (start AND STOP) but that will take some skill and thought.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Originally posted by mvp View Post

Here are the real numbers:

CAT scale says the whole shebang weights #13,860.

From the door of the truck:

GVWR #9,990 (and "light weight is #6,400") So the truck weighs which number, or these are what the truck and carbo/hauler can handle? (That doesn't make sense to me.)

Trailer, from the manufacture's plate with the VIN and whatnot:

GAWR (all axels) #3,500. I think this is total dry weight for the trailer.

GVWR is #8,550. So this trailer can be packed with up to #5,050 of crap?

GVWR #9,990 Means the total weight of the LOADED truck.

GAWR (all axels) #3,500. Means the rated capacity of the trailer axles.

GVWR is #8,550. Means the total weight of the loaded trailer.

Look in your truck's manual. Find the GCVWR ... (Gross Combined Weight Rating) if it's less than 13,860 you're okay... if the axle loading is spread properly
    Equus makus brokus but happy

Comment

Its the downhill that will get you!!
      "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Comment

I would do it.

Previous poster is right about the combined weight being what you will need.

However - I have a F350 V10 SRW (non dually) and regularly haul a 4 horse Featherlite. Loaded. With Big Horses. And a Full Water Tank. And Lots Of Crap.

Estimate trailer + trailer load alone is about 11,000 pounds and the truck has no problem. My truck weighs about 6500, guessing. It is tagged up for the extra weight (think it's weight class 5?) so if I get pulled over I don't have to cry to get out of a ticket. The truck doesn't struggle to stop, start or turn.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by hosspuller View Post
          GVWR #9,990 Means the total weight of the LOADED truck.

GAWR (all axels) #3,500. Means the rated capacity of the trailer axles.

GVWR is #8,550. Means the total weight of the loaded trailer.

Look in your truck's manual. Find the GCVWR ... (Gross Combined Weight Rating) if it's less than 13,860 you're okay... if the axle loading is spread properly
          Thanks! Did the research. Ford says the GCVWR is 20,000#; max trailer weight is 10,000#.

I'm good-- for the truck at least-- because all of us will weigh perhaps 15,000#, including the two people and stuff down to the 32 Big Gulps in the drink holder.

So the truck weights 6,400#? Which means the 7,400# or so comes for the trailer? That's ok, but closer to the trailer's 8,550# limit than I'd like. Have I inferred the truck's weight right?

Originally posted by birdsong View Post
          Its the downhill that will get you!!
          You know it, I know it, my butt knows it. Other drivers may not know it.

Originally posted by Personal Champ View Post
          I would do it.

Previous poster is right about the combined weight being what you will need.

However - I have a F350 V10 SRW (non dually) and regularly haul a 4 horse Featherlite. Loaded. With Big Horses. And a Full Water Tank. And Lots Of Crap.

Estimate trailer + trailer load alone is about 11,000 pounds and the truck has no problem. My truck weighs about 6500, guessing. It is tagged up for the extra weight (think it's weight class 5?) so if I get pulled over I don't have to cry to get out of a ticket. The truck doesn't struggle to stop, start or turn.
          That's what I thought, too. Just eyeballing it, I don't think a total weight of 13,860 for a 1 ton truck and horse trailer of crap should be maxing anything out.

This is a 7.3L diesel. Weird to feel this truck work a bit. (It does have aftermarket gauges and a chip I can use to change things. That's another story for another thread. The gauges are great for towing.)
          The armchair saddler
          Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Over ten years ago, I loaded all my stuff which maybe not that much at the time! in my trailer with the couch (as dog bed) in the back of the truck and hauled from NC to OR. Truck was 2500 chev pu and trailer was a (very light) 2h bumper w/ dressing room. I don't know the exact weight, but it just didn't seem to be that heavy. Not remotely a problem. Besides, furniture is not comparable to moving beasts. It was an easy haul for me. I can't imagine you'd have a problem. I didn't go through the rockies though.

The horse went by van.

Comment

appears you are overlooking the trailer axles of "GAWR (all axels) #3,500".

a tandem axle trailer with 3500 axles will only carry 7000# not the 8550#

Also check the rating of the trailer tires... it will be a Class rating A, B, C and so on... each class has a specific load rating seperate from axles or anthing else

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by clanter View Post
                appears you are overlooking the trailer axles of "GAWR (all axels) #3,500".

a tandem axle trailer with 3500 axles will only carry 7000# not the 8550#

Also check the rating of the trailer tires... it will be a Class rating A, B, C and so on... each class has a specific load rating seperate from axles or anthing else
                Could be that I'm overtaxing the trailer. The GVWR 8,550 number came from the trailer manufacture's plate. I think the 3,500# means the total dry (unloaded) weight of the trailer, distributed over both axles.

The tires on this (OEM) are Load Range D.
                The armchair saddler
                Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Load Range: D (8-ply rating) Max. Capacity: 2,540 lbs. times four = 10,160#

checked inflation ... many tires for trailers are at 65 psi...cold…. Info will be on the side wall of the tire

Comment

Could be that I'm overtaxing the trailer. The GVWR 8,550 number came from the trailer manufacture's plate. I think the 3,500# means the total dry (unloaded) weight of the trailer, distributed over both axles.

The tires on this (OEM) are Load Range D.
                    GAWR is Gross Axle Weight Rating. Each of your trailer axles is rated for 3500 pounds. If your tires can't bear 1750 pounds each then you must derate to the tire rating. Think of a chain... The weakest link determines the chain strength.

The trailer manufacturer is assuming 1550 pounds tongue weight on the truck to get to 8550 GVWR. Not likely...maybe with a WD hitch. but you didn't mention that.
                    Equus makus brokus but happy

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by clanter View Post
                      Load Range: D (8-ply rating) Max. Capacity: 2,540 lbs. times four = 10,160#

checked inflation ... many tires for trailers are at 65 psi...cold…. Info will be on the side wall of the tire
                      You are right about the tires. Printed right there on the side, 65 psi. Tire Dork at a store told me that I should get close to the full 65 for best weight-bearing. That will create a rougher ride, but for my boxes o' crap rather than horses, no problem.

Originally posted by hosspuller View Post
                      GAWR is Gross Axle Weight Rating. Each of your trailer axles is rated for 3500 pounds. If your tires can't bear 1750 pounds each then you must derate to the tire rating. Think of a chain... The weakest link determines the chain strength.

The trailer manufacturer is assuming 1550 pounds tongue weight on the truck to get to 8550 GVWR. Not likely...maybe with a WD hitch. but you didn't mention that.
                      Good point! No WD hitch. That and stabilizer bars would help in this case. In all other cases, the 1-ton doesn't seem to need the WD hitch and bars to take good care of the trailer.

I tried to pack it with the heaviest stuff over the axles, hoping to minimize tongue weight while the whole thing was getting heavy. It does make the 1-ton squat a bit in a way that it does not with regular horses and equipment don't.

So, my friends, are we back to my Load Range D tires being over-loaded? clanter, you think they can cut the mustard, right?
                      The armchair saddler
                      Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

It wouldn't necessarily deter me, but every trailer I've owned has had a plaque somewhere indicating that using the trailer for anything other than hauling livestock was not approved and (IIRC) there was some threat of voiding any warranties.

But I will admit to hauling bags of shavings in my trailer. And in the old days when I had no choice, the odd bit of furniture and general merchandise.
                        Click here before you buy.

Comment

DH said he would do it, too - and he used to drive tractor trailer, and still hauls various machinery, etc.

Gotta ask - which chip?? DH has a F550 that used to be a dump, now has a hauler body on it. His best friend is a diesel mechanic. We have the 4 gauges and get custom tunes built for the truck from a guy in... TX, maybe? A hot tune, tow tune, street tune. Very cool!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                            It wouldn't necessarily deter me, but every trailer I've owned has had a plaque somewhere indicating that using the trailer for anything other than hauling livestock was not approved and (IIRC) there was some threat of voiding any warranties.

But I will admit to hauling bags of shavings in my trailer. And in the old days when I had no choice, the odd bit of furniture and general merchandise.
                            Hehe! My trailer manufacturer-- great company killed off in the recession-- didn't think of that. The company is dead. The trailer is 12 years old (but Cherry and beloved, I'll have you know), so no one with warrantees or deep pockets is involved. I'm just trying to be smart about getting safely from Point A to Point B.

Gotta ask - which chip?? DH has a F550 that used to be a dump, now has a hauler body on it. His best friend is a diesel mechanic. We have the 4 gauges and get custom tunes built for the truck from a guy in... TX, maybe? A hot tune, tow tune, street tune. Very cool!
                            Don't get excited. My truck came with a Diablo Predator Sport. It's less sexy and customized than a tuner built by a diesel-software guru. Those will give better performance but also be a bit more trouble to work with. There are a few guys who build these and they have "on a first name basis" reputations on some of the diesel forums.

I will repeat an important piece of wisdom that I learned from the COTH of Diesel Forums. You *must* install a minimal set of gauges that monitor parts of your engine before you go chipping it up to modify performance.

Those gauges-- one that measures exhaust gas temp (think engine temperature but more accurate than your in-dash gauge), and tranny temp (temp of the oil circulating through the transmission) are the minimal ones I'd want for what "we" do with our trucks hauling horses. Most dieselers also get one that measures turbo boost in psi to round out the basic set.

These gauges are great for people who ask their trucks to work a little too hard while towing-- even if you don't modify anything and if, say, you bought a 1/2 ton gasser and hoped it would kinda sorta work for your heavy trailer. You can also use them to trouble-shoot a bit. You know how parts of your engine are doing before they stop working in a big way. Last, the Diablo chip I have has a basic code reader. This is a cheap/basic version of the very, very expensive things your mechanic has. If you are so inclined, you can plug these into a truck and see what its computer thinks is wrong with it or what has ever been wrong and fixed.

Good times with the aftermarket doohickies. The folks on the Diesel Forums are great-- they know their stuff and generous with it.
                            The armchair saddler
                            Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

I did this recently. Moved from Vancouver to Ottawa and loaded all of my furniture and belongings into my steel 2 horse BP trailer with dressing room. Pulled it with my Chev Silverado 2500 HD Diesel. The truck bed, trailer and dressing room were FULL. It hauled like a dream even going up and down the rockies.
                              www.saraalberni.com

Comment

I will repeat an important piece of wisdom that I learned from the COTH of Diesel Forums. You *must* install a minimal set of gauges that monitor parts of your engine before you go chipping it up to modify performance.

Those gauges-- one that measures exhaust gas temp (think engine temperature but more accurate than your in-dash gauge), and tranny temp (temp of the oil circulating through the transmission) are the minimal ones I'd want for what "we" do with our trucks hauling horses. Most dieselers also get one that measures turbo boost in psi to round out the basic set.

These gauges are great for people who ask their trucks to work a little too hard while towing-- even if you don't modify anything and if, say, you bought a 1/2 ton gasser and hoped it would kinda sorta work for your heavy trailer. You can also use them to trouble-shoot a bit. You know how parts of your engine are doing before they stop working in a big way. Last, the Diablo chip I have has a basic code reader. This is a cheap/basic version of the very, very expensive things your mechanic has. If you are so inclined, you can plug these into a truck and see what its computer thinks is wrong with it or what has ever been wrong and fixed.

Good times with the aftermarket doohickies. The folks on the Diesel Forums are great-- they know their stuff and generous with it.
                                We frequent Power Stroke Nation.

DH's 6 liter has 4 gauges... tranny temp, EGTs, oil pressure and boost, in addition to the standard ones, of course. Also 200 50% over sticks, springs, head studs, Banks hi-ram and soon to be a new turbo. I thnk that's it... hard time keeping track!

Back to the regularly scheduled programming - did you decide to go for it with the trailer?

Comment

But its still weight not shifting moving live weight and that does make a significant change in how you will drive.
                                  I would go for it...

Comment

• Original Poster

Unless things change re: the rest of my life, I'm going. Good to know that you all here and folks in PM world think I haven't created a wreck-in-becoming. I wouldn't think so either given the relatively small trailer and large truck, but it would be stupid not to ask and then get a little education along the way.

I will let y'all know how it works out. The 12# cat may be biggest buzz-kill of the whole trip.
                                    The armchair saddler
                                    Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

You never know. My 16# cat loves the truck. Sits on the headrest in the back and watches the world go by!!

He is kinda odd tho... LOL.

Comment

• Original Poster

You never know. My 16# cat loves the truck. Sits on the headrest in the back and watches the world go by!!

He is kinda odd tho... LOL.
                                        I'd pay good money for a Truck Cat. The bigger the better. They're a rare breed. You are lucky.

I'm counting on the Old Lady 12#-er to just get tired and finally accept her fate. Maybe somewhere in Ohio she'll just give up. Wouldn't it suck if she got her second wind in Denver and started complaining again?
                                        The armchair saddler
                                        Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Working...
                                        X