• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

WWYD kids flushing sanitary napkins down the toilet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWYD kids flushing sanitary napkins down the toilet

So we have a barn that has a handful of teenagers coming and going. We have signs up in the bathroom asking people not to flush sanitary products down the toilet, and a little trash barrel in there so there should be no problem, right? Wrong. The sewer pump is clogged again. My tenant wants to tear her hair out and there is no good way to "train up" everyone on how to properly use the toilet. What to do next? Port a potty is my only idea - which again is punishing everyone for the sins of a few or one. Any ideas out there? It is about $300 every time the plumber has to come out.

This happened at my middle school. All the female students were gathered up and told in no uncertain terms that sanitary napkins - not even "flushable" tampons - were to go in the toilet. Ever.

Perhaps you could send out a mass e-mail of the same effect and explain how much it costs to fix it each time.
    Fit Dog Blog
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FitDogBlog
    Blogger: http://fitdogblog.blogspot.ca/
    Blog Post: How I Became a Werehorse and a Bit About Bites

Comment

If you have, say 10, teenage females on the property, add a $30 'plumbers surcharge' to each of their board bills for every plumbers visit. Make sure that everyone knows this will happen and that everyone will be required to pay up .... until they figure out how to use the provided container and the blockages stop.

This punishes all the teenage females but not any males. If you suspect any adult females may also be offenders, add them into the surcharge pricing.

*star*
      "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
      - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Comment

I would tell them they either stop flushing the products down the toilet or they will have to use a porta potty. That would be incentive enough for me. One other thought, is there a wastebasket in the toilet for them to use. I know that as a teen, I would have been embarrased to carry the stuff, even wrapped, to an outside waste basket.
        I'm a second hand Vegan. Cows eat grass. I eat cows.

Comment

Originally posted by ShotenStar View Post
          If you have, say 10, teenage females on the property, add a $30 'plumbers surcharge' to each of their board bills for every plumbers visit. Make sure that everyone knows this will happen and that everyone will be required to pay up .... until they figure out how to use the provided container and the blockages stop.

This punishes all the teenage females but not any males. If you suspect any adult females may also be offenders, add them into the surcharge pricing.

*star*
          Err, I'm sorry, but the second that charge showed up on my bill I'd be handing in my 30 days notice. It's not MY fault that other people are morons and don't follow directions.

The best thing to do may be to gather everyone up and have a big discussion about it, explaining the costs and how board will have to go up for EVERYONE if it continues. Or threaten to lock the bathroom and go the port-a-potty route, if you must.

The addition board charges for just select individuals, however, would not go over well. At least not for me.

Comment

Make sure the trash can is right there, AND that it is the type with a foot pedal-operated lid, with scented trash can liners. Make sure there's ample TP available to wad them up in. In other words, make it easy and as unembarrassing as possible. No open trash containers.

Post a sign RIGHT THERE that says
            One more clogged potty=porta potty.
            Flush ONLY toilet paper and human waste.

I would call a barn meeting with the gals and TELL them you are six hundred dollars in the hole and it will NOT happen again. The rest room will be padlocked if this happens again. The plumber told you the source of the problem, it's not a guess, it's a fact. Period

Pun intended.

Comment

It is like in the army where everybody does push-ups if the person who does the infraction does not 'fess up...and since nobody rats on anybody else, they all get the punishment.

Me....I didn't join the army and never wanted to. Can't take the discipline or taking orders come what may.
              Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Are they for sure flushing napkins, or tampons? Tampons could clog up a toilet too.

But if you don't have something like little brown paper bags, it's very difficult to get people to just chuck a tampon into the trash. That's why so many businesses will provide bags for that purpose.
                Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

Comment

As you have learned, no one reads signs.
                  People seem to think they are made as a type of wall art, not as something they should read and obey.

If you can not get all the female barn participants to a meeting then take the time to say something to them one at time as you see them.

Make it clear that nothing at all but toilet paper and bodily waste is to be flushed down the toilet.

I would add a sign on the outside of the toilet room door with the line about having to switch to the porta-potty if flushing issues do not stop.

People have a 'not me' concept. If I am the only who flushes this one super maxi pad it will not be a problem, etc.

They need to know they are all problem.

Not that I think it should be necessary (because tampons can be easily wrapped in toilet paper), I agree that making it super easy to toss them out discreetly will make it more likely that they will get tossed.

Comment

Most teenagers probably don't know what "sanitary napkins" are. They are pads or maxi pads. You may have one teen that doesn't realize they are dumping the offending "napkins" in the toilet.
                    Last edited by Petstorejunkie; Aug. 18, 2011, 11:15 PM.
                    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
                    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

Here's a site where you can purchase offical looking signs for the restroom:

http://www.justbathroomsigns.com/Res...U-SE-2468.aspx

Or create a custom one:

http://www.justbathroomsigns.com/Res...igns-More.aspx
                      There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Comment

How about putting a lock on the door so they have to come ask for it. That way you have a good idea who the culprit is???...

Comment

So becuse this occurred at a barn this is a horse related topic and I was reported for a non horse related post.

To arms to arms the napkins are coming, yep horse related my horses butts, (just wanted to have a little horse talk here) but to keep on the discussion, I ran a Greyhound agency many years ago and believe me there is no nastier group to have to clean up after than womens bathrooms.

They pee down the drains or defecate in the sink, don't care no respect.

One final note why would I even post to this, simple to call attention to the hypocrisy but I will not draw this to the attention of a mod, that would just be simply childish, i leave that to others.

So do all that you can think of but the little darlings will continue to flush, yep bet the barn on it(just a little more horse talk).

Comment

• Original Poster

the sign and the lock

I love the sign - thank you it is very pretty. I didn't think that they wouldn't know what sanitary products might mean, but you could be on to something there. I thought about the lock and key deal but there is no way to know if it is from the day before it has clogged or from an accumulation of products. I think the woman who rents from me is going to have a big ole sit down with a slide show and the last slide should be the porta potty.

Comment

I like katarine's idea.

When I was in college (marine science major) I used to go out on a NOAA ship with a sign in the head that read "Don't put anything into the toilet unless you have eaten it first."

Don't put that sign up.
                              I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

I would do 2 things: email or snail mail a note about this specific issue, and follow up with an all-barn meeting.

Make it very clear that rural septic tank systems are delicate beasts that cost $$$ to unclog.

If it happens again after doing these 2 things then I'd lock up the bathroom and keep it off limits, making everyone aware of the reason for why this was being done. Tough crap, everyone - pun intended.

I like the idea of adding the plumbing surcharge to bills, too.

People are something else, aren't they?

Comment

Yep...lock it, and don't get a port a potty-they've been warned, and let the other boarders take it out on them...sometimes 'peer pressure' is the worst.
                                  Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
                                  http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]

Comment

Is there a certain week out of the month you can lock it :-)

Comment

I'd have a group meeting. Explain that nothing can be flushed down the toilet - pads or tampons, even if they say "flushable." That might be part of the problem. I remember when a plumber had to go to one of my friend's houses to fish a flushable tampon out and the plumber talked to her. I remember being just shocked that you couldn't flush something that says flushable. You might have to tell them that because your system may be more fragile than theirs at home. See if that helps. It may be a lack of understanding of what's going on.
                                      Also consider whether it couldn't be an adult. I wouldn't think it would be, but you never know.

Comment

I'd provide a box of nappy sacks and a rubbish bin.

http://www.pharmacyfirst.co.uk/healt...prod_4438.html
                                        Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                                        X