• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Used bedding as arena footing???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used bedding as arena footing???

Long story short, trainer at barn I'm boarding at is trying to improve the really bad footing in our covered arena but dumping poop on the dirt. Let me backtrack and give a little history: She's subleasing the barn from the owner of the farm were in, footing is not good (slick base, very little dirt on top) -I know I should have checked it out more before I moved in... Owner does not want to put $$ or effort into arena-won't water/drag-farm on the market at the moment. Trainer and I have offered to get fill dirt/work it to no avail.
    I like the trainer, shes great with the horses but the arena....
    SOOOO my question is poop really a good answer ?? It seems kind of icky when I think about it.. WWYD? Pony is happy, other than this I like the place, the damned arena is hard/slick/terrible dusty...... God I HATE boarding! Where's my powerball winnings so I can buy my own place
    Would you move? I may be moving if it sells and she looses her lease anyway?

Poor idea. The bedding, poop itself, dries and gets turned into dust by horses going over the arena. Dust gets to be very fine particles which hang in the air. Then you riders and horses working in there are going to be breathing all that dust. Real hard on the lungs, unhealthy. Especially bad long term breathing it. Body just can't manage the dirt load in the lungs, which will cause problems and infections like pnuemonia in both of you, maybe heaves down the line. Wetting it down will make floor surface even MORE slippery, as the bedding and poop compost under the horses working.

Can trainer just buy some dirt to put in there and water it down? Maybe invest in her own small drag and machine to pull it with?

Dropping the bedding in the arena is a BAD idea.

Comment

goodhors is right on all counts. Local vet built his clinic on land his parents had a boarding business. One winter, the barn doors froze and they couldn't get the manure spreader out so for 1 month, yes, 1 month, they dumped all the manure in the indoor. A very dear friend was boarding there at the time so I know this is true.

Now, I don't know about you but there is NO REASON WHATSOEVER that a frozen barn door should stay frozen for more than a few hours let alone a month! Besides a safety issue if there was a fire, the health of the animals should certainly have been a concern.

Do I use that vet clinic? Not on your life!
      Sue

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Comment

Bad bad bad bad idea..

our local ag arena does this and one reason why I dont like showing there...

My BIGGEST issue is how compacted it seems to get after it's been ridden on..then it's like concrete..so they disk it and you get nice big chunks for the horse's to trip over.

Comment

saw dust/shavings by themselves can be good.
          but manure?
          pass.

Comment

UUUUGGGGGHHHHHH
            I wasn't always a Smurf
            Penmerryl Sophie RIDSH
            "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
            The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

Tried that in my roundpen. Slippery than snot when it got wet.

Used to board at a place where the manure was spread in the indoor - like the others said - very dusty and made the horses cough.
              Moving on doesn't mean you forget about things. It just means you have to accept what happended and continue living.

Comment

Even manure not picked up in the indoor will get dusty and make horses and riders cough. If you don't believe it, just blow your nose after you're done riding in such an arena!!!
                Sue

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Comment

^^^ This. After blowing black snot out of my nose, not to mention watching black water run down the drain in the shower after a ride in the neighboring barn's indoor (they leased it out to us for $5/ride in the winter and their footing was shavings/manure) - I said…nooooooooo, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by msj View Post
                    Even manure not picked up in the indoor will get dusty and make horses and riders cough. If you don't believe it, just blow your nose after you're done riding in such an arena!!!

Thank you for that very correct visual example!!
                    www.Somermistfarm.com
                    Quality Hunter Ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                      saw dust/shavings by themselves can be good.
                      but manure?
                      pass.
                      I agree! The last barn I boarded at, the footing was a mixture of sand and super fine shavings (a bit bigger than sawdust), and it was lovely, but we had to pick up any manure that our horses left in the arena, no exceptions.
                      There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Comment

We just put in well composted stall waste in the arena that gets very hard when dry and icy slick when wet. It's well composted manure and shavings. It is SO much better. The idea is to fluff it up a bit and then add sand as just sand would make it too hard. It also gets watered and dragged daily.

If you have no other choice, I would do it. Of course you want well-aged compost, not just fresh poop. I've had no issues with dust, breathing problems, or anything.

Comment

Seems like a really bad idea. I know footing is expensive, but money well spent for so many reasons. I use a product called "black sand" and it's the best stuff on earth. It can POUR rain and you can still ride on it with no slick spots. Only problem is that's it's not cheap! (but good stuff!)
                          Rivermont Farm, Inc.
                          http://rivermontfarm.com

Comment

Terrible idea; it gets NASTY. Shavings, sure. Manure? Nope nope nope.

Composted manure isn't really manure, it's compost

Comment

Hmmm, really must depend on the type of footing thats already there, because my BO spreads her stall muckings in the dressage arena and jump ring, and on the half mile exercise track, and it improves the footing.

Her farm is on extremely sandy soil. It gets horribly dusty even in mildly dry conditions, it is near impossible to swamp (we just had 8" of rain in 48 hours and everything is completely rideable).

They just dump and spread stall muckings by the bucketload on a weekly basis and somehow it just vanishes into the footing and keeps the dust down. This year with all of the rain we've had, both areas are lovely lovely turf.

Originally posted by msj View Post
                              I boarded at a place with an indoor for years and years, no one ever picked up manure, it was pulverized and turned into floating dust and it was just horrendous.
                              Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

Originally posted by buck22 View Post
                                Hmmm, really must depend on the type of footing thats already there, because my BO spreads her stall muckings in the dressage arena and jump ring, and on the half mile exercise track, and it improves the footing.

Her farm is on extremely sandy soil. It gets horribly dusty even in mildly dry conditions, it is near impossible to swamp (we just had 8" of rain in 48 hours and everything is completely rideable).

They just dump and spread stall muckings by the bucketload on a weekly basis and somehow it just vanishes into the footing and keeps the dust down. This year with all of the rain we've had, both areas are lovely lovely turf.
                                Maybe the difference in being used outside with weather on sandy ground and inside with less ventilation and moisture, different dirt types.

Comment

^^^ oh my! thank you! I just re-read the OP, covered arena? No, I can't imagine that being a good idea either.

I do agree a primary reason my BO's works out as well as it does is that its in the weather and sun helping it break down quickly.
                                  Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

I boarded at a barn that did this when I was a kid. On my green mare, doing a fairly wide circle at the canter, she slipped on this crap and went down and landed on ME.
                                    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Comment

Badbadbad idea.
                                      Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

Comment

You might try what my BO/trainer does - the clean shavings go in the indoor, banked around the wall if needed. His stalls are in the middle, so when clean shavings are needed, you take what is needed from the work way outside the stall. No bucket, wheelbarrow or other transport needed.

I agree w/ Buck, outside, manure on a track makes pretty good footing.
                                        Visit my Spoonflower shop

Comment

Working...
                                        X