• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

ElectroBraid planning/installation tips?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ElectroBraid planning/installation tips?

Please do not tell me your horror stories about using ElectroBraid, it is sitting in the garage, so too late for that.
    I have watched the video it came with but I was just wondering if anyone that had done it had any helpful tips. We are doing 4 strands on 4x4 PT posts, posts 5' tall. How would you space out the strands? Thanks!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fentre...24774504235082

http://fentressfieldsequestriancenter.com/

Originally posted by mpsbarnmanager View Post
    Please do not tell me your horror stories about using ElectroBraid, it is sitting in the garage, so too late for that.
    I have watched the video it came with but I was just wondering if anyone that had done it had any helpful tips. We are doing 4 strands on 4x4 PT posts, posts 5' tall. How would you space out the strands? Thanks!
    I don't know if it's the correct way, but what I did was figure out where I wanted my top and bottom strands to hit, and then placed the 2nd and 3rd strands equal distance from the top and bottom. I used a long piece of wood (dowel rod), and used 4 pieces of electrical taped wraped around it to mark where the strands would be, and then I would just stand it upright beside the post and screw my insulators in at the appropriate mark.
    Cindy

Comment

I had it for many years and it held up great, however, we started out with the posts to far apart. I did t post line posts with 4x4 corner posts. All posts covered with white plastic sleeves and we did one strand of the 2" tape on the top with 4 strands of the braid underneath. I know you already have the braid, but I absolutely would put the tape on the top. It adds a lot of visibility. We never had an injury or any issue with it. I went out about once a year and tightened it up and checked everything, otherwise it was great. These were 5 to 10 acre pastures. Held up in the extreme Nebraska winter just fine.

I think we started out with the posts 20' apart, we were told by the company we could, but the strands just wouldn't stay tight with that long a run, so we went back and added a t post in between for 10' distances, and it was great after that. The white covers obviously added a fairly significant cost to the initial installation but IMHO worth every penny. We got lot's of compliments on how nice the fence looked.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the help! Our posts are 16' apart; I was thinking if I wanted to go to board fencing it would be easy to do that way. I was thinking about spacing out the posts farther (32) apart, but maybe thats not such a great idea!
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fentre...24774504235082

http://fentressfieldsequestriancenter.com/

Comment

We did our top strand VERY close to the top, so horses couldn't chew and crib the top of the poles. We have had ours for 6 years and have not had any issues...I think it's a smart buy.

Comment

Of utmost importance is getting your corner posts in solidly and braced before you start putting tension on your ElectroBraid. We used 6 x 6s for the corners with 4 x 4 horizontal bracing as well as wire diagonal bracing.
            We've had ours up for over 10 years. Never any problems, low maintenance, just needs occasional tensioning and once in a while replacement of a couple of insulators, since I have a tendency to get too close with the mower sometimes.

I've heard all the horror stories of ElectroBraid too but I've found in my 40+ years of horsekeeping that a horse can and will hurt itself even in a padded room if determined.
            Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Comment

I have an electrobraid knock off that I LOVE. It has been installed about a year now.

My posts are very far apart - about 50 feet - with sturdy, braced corners. My land is completely flat, though. I have 3 lines and did the same as the previous poster, figured out top and bottom height, then split it for the middle strand. The posts were pounded in by DH and FIL.

I had a young silly TB mare bounce off mine - it stretched a bit and boinged her back in the pasture, LOL. I too have heard horror stories but nothing but good here!

Comment

Originally posted by Mali View Post
                I don't know if it's the correct way, but what I did was figure out where I wanted my top and bottom strands to hit, and then placed the 2nd and 3rd strands equal distance from the top and bottom. I used a long piece of wood (dowel rod), and used 4 pieces of electrical taped wraped around it to mark where the strands would be, and then I would just stand it upright beside the post and screw my insulators in at the appropriate mark.
                We did basically the same thing.

Our posts are no more than 20' apart at the widest, but I wanted closer posts for visibility reasons.

The hardest part for us was getting in the corner and gate posts (even with a post hole digger) because our soil is HARD red clay. Our line posts are t-posts with full vinyl sleeves, so they just look like thin vinyl posts. We do have one pasture the old owners fenced with electrobraid that has fiberglass rods as line posts. They are holding up okay, too.

Good luck! I think I posted a few threads back in late January / early February on this topic, too, so you may want to search for those. I remember getting some great tips.

No matter what, you want your end posts (including gate posts) and corner posts sunk deep and cemented in.

Comment

I had Electrobraid on my old farm- loved it! I did the same as others- figured out top and bottom strand, and split the distance for the middle. I like to leave the botom strand high enough (I think mine are 16") for the horses to eat under the fence a little, and allow me to get a mower under with not too much difficulty. I used a scrap of wood with markings on it for strand height- I went along with the marker piece and a sharpie, DH followed with the insulators. Make sure your corners posts are big, deep and tamped in well. We rarely use concrete except where we're going to put either a large gate or pull hi-tensile fence. BTW- round posts are stronger and less likely to warp and twist than 4x4s or 6x6s- and I prefer creosote posts if I can get them over PT. Also, check the tag on any PT stuff you get from a lumberyard- a lot of it says not for ground contact. I get my posts from farm stores where they're still "CCA" treated.

Comment

If you are doing 4 stands use 4 reels of electrobraid, run them all at once...............

Comment

Originally posted by casper324 View Post
                      If you are doing 4 stands use 4 reels of electrobraid, run them all at once...............
                      Definitely - especially if the area is large. We put a long pole through the middle of all the spools and put them on the bed of our truck.

Also, have someone pulling the strands as taut as possible as you go along -- because when you tension it, you are going to be amazed at how much slack comes out. If you don't pull it taut as you go, you'll waste a lot of fence material or run out before you get to the end.

Comment

Good point - on the fence puller tool - buy a few of them (not just 1). That way if you run out of room stretching a strand, you can snag another puller on and continue stretching. Not ideal, but when it happens - you'll appreciate having an extra stretcher! Also, buy extra of the copper connecters, you'll want some on hand to make electrical connections, or tie in more fence lines later. It's easier to purchase them in the 10/bag and have an extra bag or so for future use. They aren't something you can find at the local big box store (although the 150 year old hardware store in town carries an item in the plumbing section that works almost as well, but is just a skitch narrower in diameter).
                        Cindy

Comment

I love, love, love my electrobraid. Very low maintenance; just periodically check the voltage, and lop off branches to keep it from grounding out.

We installed 5' posts leaving 4' above ground, spaced 20' apart, actually, but on level ground. We have 3 strands running 16" apart.

We used spings in the eyelets to keep tension good over the years. We just pulled tight as we went through the installation.

When we started out, I did tons of research, but found the installation quite easy, and up keep fabulously simple! Compared to wooden fencing, it's quite easy to change things up when needed. I initially sectioned the large pasture into 3 portions, but have since opened it up. (I only have two.)

If somebody goes lame, you can quickly reconfigure your fence, or add addditional electrobraid to create a small paddock for a nice rehab spot. I also create a small paddock where they can be in a controlled environment during winter weather conditions. I even bought a couple more gate handles and created a way to bring them into the paddock, right by the barn during bad weather, then open the electrobraid gait to the main pasture when the weather clears. (hope that makes sense!

I really like it! You hear stories of horses impaled by boards on wooden fences... To quote dawglover: I've heard all the horror stories of ElectroBraid too but I've found in my 40+ years of horsekeeping that a horse can and will hurt itself even in a padded room if determined.

Good luck. Think you'll enjoy it!

Comment

My Electrobraid fence is five years old and still perfect.

The fence does carry some tension (not like some others in terms of how much, but still quite a bit) and needs to be TIGHT to be safe. That means you really can't cheat on bracing and anchoring your corner and end posts. There is ONE gate in my fence line that I did not brace, trying to save time, and the posts started leaning. I have to keep that gate supported with a tensioning chain across the top to keep the posts from leaning further. It's not a big deal since the gate only gets used for mowing, but I would not skip the brace posts if I had to do it again! My only regret in the whole fencing system.

My posts alternate between wood and T-posts (with caps) and are about 30 feet apart. We get ferocious wind and heavy snow, and this has been more than sufficient. I really like the spare, minimalist look of the fence, unobtrusive without a lot of vertical and horizontal lines to clutter up the relatively small (12 acre) property. Line posts are 4x4, corner posts are 6x6, cemented.

For the diagnonal bracing of the corners I have one paddock done with wire and tensioners, per their recommendations. It's OK but looks crappy. For the last paddock, I used some of the Electrobraid rope itself and turnbuckles and screw eyes from the hardware store to tension those diagonals and it looks VERY neat and works great. Can be re-tensioned by hand with just a few twists of the turnbuckle.

Don't take any shortcuts with the grounding rods. They really do matter. Do it properly, and find a place where the soil is good and preferably a little moist.

If you live where there's heavy snow, the little "switches" that you wire in that allow you to turn off a strand or two at the bottom are really handy. My bottom two (of four) strands are routinely buried in the winter, and I can just flip these little plastic switches and the power is off to those two strands.
                            Click here before you buy.

Comment

Working...
                            X