• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Chigger Nest? HELP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chigger Nest? HELP!

My husband and I are looking at a great farm for us. We walked the pasture over the weekend to check the fencing. I went over to one corner that used to have electric fencing while my husband stayed at the top of the hill. Well, lucky him, because I got attacked by chiggers! I have been itching for 2 solid days!!

The corner is fairly close to the barn and I will be walking in the area fairly regularly. Chiggers LOVE me. They see me and see BUFFET!! Is there anything I can do with that corner to rid it of the chiggers? Or do I just need to paint on OFF when I go outside?

TIA.
    Member of My Balance is Poo Poo Clique

Wrap dryer sheets - any brand - around your ankles, tuck pants inside soxs over dryer sheets. Better if you can wear tall boots over said layers!! Anti - itch cream/spray will help the bites. NO hot showers/bath...it makes the chiggers CRAZY mad!!! Ask me how I know!!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

liquid sevin on the ground if you have an eaxct(ish) area

Tamara
      Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
      I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Comment

Ive always used alcholol on the itchy spots. It seems to make them leave.
        “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Comment

Your local farm store should have "HiYield 38". It's good for ticks too. It's just a concentrated permethrin like other insect spays use, but it's the best value.

http://www.amazon.com/Plus-Insect-Co...ata/B003N309OI
          www.HistoricHousePreservation.com

Comment

Dryer sheets: pretty sure Snopes shot that one down a long time ago.
            COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

Originally posted by SmallHerd View Post
              They see me and see BUFFET!! Is there anything I can do with that corner to rid it of the chiggers? .
              My experience is that chiggers (like ticks) do not like to live in cut grass. I find that you need to cut the grass anyhow, to keep the weeds at bay.
              Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Comment

We bought an old farm and the first couple of trips resulted in mass amount of chiggers.

Once we started cutting grass and bushhogging fields the chigger problem went away.

If have chigger bites, ivermectin spread on top of the bites has been out best solution.
                A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

Comment

Agree that chiggers (and ticks) much prefer long, unmown grass. So keep it mowed as low as you can. And then spray your ankles with bug spray before going out there.

And when the chiggers inevitably jump over your spray barricade and get to the back of your knees and, ahem, higher, here's a way to kill the itch for about 8 hours:

Run water, as hot as you can stand without burning yourself, over the itchy area. It will itch like fire for a a minute or so, and then the itch is gone for several hours - the heat depletes the histamine in your body's cells. It really works, also for poison ivy.

Comment

My son had a good case of them recently, probably 200 bites, from his ankles to his waist. He had been in tall grass/weeds. We bought all kinds of topicals but what ended up working for him was to soak in hot water with epson salts and to apply listerine for the itch. The listerine did much better for the itching than anything else and is cheap!

Comment

chiggers

Go to Sally Beauty Supply and buy the can of hair spray that has the most lacquer in it-----------like White Rain-----------and spray it over the entire area on your body and let it dry. That will suffocate the chiggers. I live in Deep Woods Off cause I do so much bushhogging, etc. I spray my skin then put my socks on and spray them and spray my clothing. I spray my shoes also. And tying up the pants leg is good also.

Comment

I live in the South and have dealt with chiggers, aka redbugs, all my life. The old wives tale that they burrow into your skin and live there is BS. They bite and leave an enzyme that makes them itch for days. They live in grass (even short grass) near water sources as well as in moss - which we have here. I sat on the edge of a pond in mowed grass and enjoyed a bottle of wine with a friend. The next morning my ankles looked like I'd been stuck with a thousand needles. The creatures sneak on you and you don't even feel it! I have found that any regular bug spray - Off, etc - will keep them away. The dryer sheet thing only worls for mosquitoes . My cajun friends swear by them!
                        SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
                        Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
                        The Barkalicious Bakery
                        On Facebook!!!

Comment

When we first bought this place and I went out for walks I used to stop on convenient rocks. No old wife wisdom there except maybe I thought the ticks would be less likely to crawl on rocks. DH did not stop on rocks and spent a bit of time scoping out a project, next day he was a mass of chigger bites from the tops of where his boots had been to, well, you know.
                          After I read up on the little buggers we made sure to mow, and if I went far back I wore long pants, tucked my pants in my socks and sprayed Off on my shoes and socks. I also make darn sure to go indoors and take a soapy shower if I've been out in my shorts doing something as innocent as getting the hose out of the tall grass so DH can bush hog it, because they can be knocked off if you just take your soapy hand and make certain to soap behind the knees and those other spots - where if you don't, you'll be sorry. Itchy anyway, like I am right now.

So yeah, mow, use an insecticide if you want them gone NOW, and dress appropriately. I use calamine and antihistamines for the itch.
                          Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                          Incredible Invisible

Comment

I had never encountered chiggers while living in Texas, but I went on a project in Alabama and ohmygosh. I had an education, that's for sure. Whoever said try Listerine on the bites is exactly right. That was the only thing that worked for me. It works for fire ant bites as well, but I believe it has to be the original Listerine.

One of the guys I worked with would buy dog flea/tick collars and put them at the bottom of his pants, then put his boots on and tuck the pants into the boots. He said that worked well for prevention from getting bitten.
                            Rhode Islands are red;
                            North Hollands are blue.
                            Sorry my thoroughbreds
                            Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Comment

I am a magnet for every type of summertime discomfort there is: poison ivy, bee stings, tick bites, sand fleas at beach. (I have had all of that multiple times this summer already)

but nothing strikes fear in my heart like chiggers. they are the WORST!

if you can't do the hot water thing all the time, a blowdryer works too, I have had to bring it into work to use it periodically after a chigger attack. *shudder*

Yes, they don't burrow in skin, nail polish does not work. they excrete something that liquifies your skin and then they drink it.

Comment

It's the larvae

I just found out it's not the actual chigger that buries itself in your skin; it's the larvae. Anyone who's ever had to deal with one of those pest control conundrums knows the meaning of "itchy."

Comment

One more reason I never leave the PNW! Holy Moly people! I'll put up with earthquakes, volcanoes and unending wet to avoid all ya'lls snakes, ticks and chiggers..oh, and tornadoes and hurricanes
                                  Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

Originally posted by Calvincrowe View Post
                                    One more reason I never leave the PNW! Holy Moly people! I'll put up with earthquakes, volcanoes and unending wet to avoid all ya'lls snakes, ticks and chiggers..oh, and tornadoes and hurricanes
                                    This New Englander wholeheartedly agrees! Can't escape the tornadoes or hurricanes, though.
                                    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Comment

I ended up with chigger bites this summer too after spending the afternoon weeding around our wash stall. SO miserable! I have never been so itchy in my life.

So I ended up doing a bunch of research on them. You will hear a lot of old wives tales about them, but here's what I found out:

It is the larvae that is doing the biting.

They do NOT burrow under your skin! They inject a digestive enzyme which continues to cause a reaction even after they are no longer on you.

They will come off when you shower or scratch at the bites. There is no need to put nail polish or hairspray on yourself.

It can take 2 weeks for the itching to stop. And there's nothing you can do to "cure" it. I found washing with hot water and then putting a topical itch cream on it helps some. Also take oral Benadryl several times a day. (I'll admit that I did try the Listerine as well as hand sanitizer. - it helps temporarily, but I was starting to smell weird )

Since then we have mowed the grass in that area and I always put Off on myself if I have to go down there. That seems to have helped.

Comment

Do NOT scratch! It can be really easy to get those suckers infected, and boy, I do not wish that upon my worst enemy.

Along the same idea of the lacquer hair spray, clear (or any color, but how many of us want red specks all over) nail polish painted over any chigger bites will suffocate them and you will be just fine. Unfortunately I don't know how to avoid them or keep them from congregating. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                        X