• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

2004 Chevy Suburban V8 5.3L for towing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Chevy Suburban V8 5.3L for towing?

I've just recently started looking at tow vehicles and trailers. I've found what appears to be a good buy on a 2004 Chevy Suburban with low mileage (under 40k) and in good condition. It has 4WD and a tow package already. According to what I've seen online, the tow capacity for these vehicles is 7300 lbs.

I plan to buy a 2 horse trailer, likely no dressing room and will typically be towing 1 horse that weighs around 1200 lbs a couple of times per month.

Will that be enough truck? When I am looking at the weight of the trailers, sometimes I see weight and curb weight. For example, I saw one trailer that empty weight was 2850 and curb weight is 4150. Which weight for the trailer should I be considering to determine whether the truck's tow capacity would be sufficient?

Thank you for your help! I am hoping that by doing my research up front I can avoid grief down the line.

No.

That truck does not enough ooomph to STOP your load.

Heck our Prius can tow a 2 H trailer loaded with draft horses. But I do not think it would be able to stop it. No I do not have a hitch on our prius, but I have seen them, and them towing trailer's too.

Cheap is as cheap does.

I cringe when I see SUV's, or Suburban's, mini vans, etc towing. They are dangerous. Those drivers usually think they are some big 18 wheeler truck and mario andretta all rolled into one ego.

Safety is what you want when towing a trailer with live moving weight. Boast all you want on the features, color, price, mileage, curb weight, mpg, stereo, 4WD. It ain't gonna safely stop your load. You may think so, but when the chips are down stuff happens. Traffic is not always as obedient as you think it is. You have a lot riding on that 2" or 2 5/16" ball.

Have a read of this article.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/11...e-rockies.html

I got a 2011 chevy 2500HD 4wd, ltz, duramax last oct. Lovely. My first diesel, but not my first HD truck. Does all they say, and then some.

There are better deals than a 'burbun. Do a search on trucks and towing, etc on this forum.

Comment

Couple of things you need to check.

What is the rear gear ratio? 3.08 not good for towing. 3.42 is okay if you are not towing the limit. 3.73 works best but will lower your fuel economy somewhat.

Brake controler? You will want this regardless of what vehicle you tow with.

Most people don't know this but the Suburban is built on the same type frame as the GM trucks and the wheel base is nearly identical to that of a "long box" GM truck.

Curb Weight is the actual weight of the vehicle without any passengers or cargo in it. It’s the base weight that is used in subtraction to calculate the total weight of the vehicle with passengers and cargo.

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is the total weight of the loaded vehicle. This includes the vehicle itself and the cargo that is loaded within that vehicle. This is what you want to use when comparing to your trucks towing capacity.

For what you described, a Suburban truck is more than sufficient.
      Last edited by pds; Jul. 26, 2011, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Isn't a Suburban on a truck chassis?
        "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Comment

I have a 2003 Chevy Tahoe V8 5.3L - the Tahoe is just the shorter version of the Suburban. My gear ratio is 3.42 and it has the tow package - which beefs up a lot of the components.

My trailer is a 2 horse BP - no dressing room - and it weighs 3000lbs. My state made me get it weighed before issuing the registration. I tow just one horse - 1400 lbs - and so my total weight is about 4400, and it is rated for 7300.

I feel perfectly safe towing in this set up - to be fair, I have only hauled within 2 hour distances and on fairly flat roads. Maybe a total of 8-10 times a year. So not super heavy duty constant hauling. Not a problem - the Tahoe does great and you barely know you are hauling. Stopping is not an issue either and neither is acceleration when you need it.

The only irritation I have come across is that the Tahoe/Suburbans of this era are notorious for having an issue with the rear lock relay. There is NO external way to open your rear hatch from the inside or outside if the electronics go screwy. So imagine putting all your horse stuff in the back - including an enormous trunk - and then not being able to unload it bc you can't get the back open. It sucks. I've had my relay replaced 2x so far. The newer ones have key access.

Comment

Two words - Diesel Excursion.

Tows 10K, truck frame, big brakes, decent MPG.

Comment

Originally posted by TrakeGirl View Post
              I have a 2003 Chevy Tahoe V8 5.3L - the Tahoe is just the shorter version of the Suburban.

I feel perfectly safe towing in this set up - to be fair
              But ya know, I do not feel safe being around you when you tow. I have seen lots happen over the years.

Get a real truck to do the job at hand, not a poser.

Also regardless what truck I am pulling with, regardless of what load I am hauling, regardless what farm work I do with the truck I want to FEEL that trailer or load at all times. The sign of a good/safe trailering person is that they can feel and know the load they are hauling. I have the biggest hauling truck (now) on the market. I can feel the trailer at all times, empty or loaded. But believe me, this truck has no problem pulling any load at all, nor stopping it either. I can feel movement in the trailer of the horse, and this is due to experience in hauling. No there is no sway at all in the truck when there is a horse moving around. The movement is slight, but I can feel it. I get 19 mpg in the city and 16mpg hauling. It has 4 doors, and it is a nice go to wal-mart truck. I have no dually's, and it is a short bed. This truck is great with a load, or driving to town with no load. 36 gallon tank so I fill up less often. No diesel stink either. I have not one care what anything weighs I will be pulling, towing, hauling or carrying.

jm(longtime hauling)e.
              Last edited by rmh_rider; Jul. 26, 2011, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Towing with the Tahoe/Suburban is the same as towing with a Chevy 1500 series truck as it is the exact same engine and chassis. Would you feel safer if I had one of those? Because it is in the magic shape of a truck?

Probably what you would really prefer me to do is get a 2500 series or above.

Hey...I'm game. I am concerned about the fact you don't feel safe around me. So send me a check and we'll get that problem taken care of pronto.

Comment

• Original Poster

According to the information I have, the axle ratio is 3.73.

In some cases I see the tow capacity listed as 8300 lbs also. If I call about the truck I'll ask whether they have the owner's manual so that I can get the specifics for the vehicle in question.

My ideal scenario is to find a 3/4 ton truck (I actually prefer a pick up with 4 full doors to an SUV) but this truck may be a good deal. Fuel economy is not a big consideration for me, I don't drive much- probably will be in the 10-12k miles per year range.

Comment

I worked 2 full time jobs, and saved my $ for a truck. I sold my 2002 to get a new truck saved the rest of the money. I worked every day of the week for a long time over a couple years plus. How about you?

I am not working at the other job, should I work 2 jobs again so I can give you some money? Better yet maybe I should send you my 401k. That may afford you personally a better hauling vehicle. I could pick up a stall cleaning job in my spare time for that 3rd job.

The 1500 series are really for driving around town.

I have no such need for a truck like that.

And yes, I would feel safer if you did. Be specific when you get another hauling vehicle, make sure it is a HD and has a specific real tow package.

Comment

Some random thoughts...

You are talking about a 2 horse without a tack room and those are typically 12' long 6' wide and if it is aluminum (or a steel stock, i.e. not enclosed) it is probably in the 3,000lb range for the lightest trailers you can find (I've looked at lots of trailers lately). Do weigh it on a scale to make sure, of course. Also check your ratings for weight towing and also gross weight when you are calculating your capacity and remember that live weight is more dangerous, so stay well under your max. Get a trailer with brakes on both axles, instead of just one.

You need an electric brake. I have a Tekonsha and really like it.

You want to live, so you should really consider a sway bar (fyi, a friend had sway issues in bad weather with a 3/4 ton with one horse on a bumper pull--one horse = uneven weight) and I would get an equalizer hitch (particularly if that year had independent rear suspension already).

Verify that you have a tow package and a tranny cooler and do check the gear ratios. My husband's uncle was sold a suburban with a tow package that really wasn't a tow package, and he burned through his tranny pulling a ski boat around after a few years--bad deal.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is to check your tires and their load capacity. Not all tires are created equal! Also, the balls and hitches they sell everywhere usually max out at 5,000 lbs--you want a stronger one. Seems obvious, but I bet there are lots of people out there using a 5,000lb ball/hitch and thinking they are ok because of the other ratings.

I tow with an Expedition in emergencies (like to the vet clinic). This is on the F150 chassis, and I believe I read the Expedition from my year weighs MORE than the truck, FYI. Great for gas mileage! I borrow my friends 3,500 lb Featherlite and haul one horse. I am well below my tow rating, but it sucks compared to a 3/4 ton. Yes it can do it. The 5.4 L V8 engine is strong enough, but the independent rear suspension makes the rear a bit soft. I absolutely want a weight distribution hitch when I get my trailer, but I'm probably going with a small stock or something along the lines of a Brenderup type if I want the ability to pull more than 1 horse. It works in a pinch, and I'm not on the interstate, but if I was hauling frequently, I would prefer a 3/4 ton suburban.
                      DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have an Expedition and an F350, and both tow (and stop!) my bumper pull stock trailer just fine. Each has positives and negatives. It's a lot harder to get into and out of tight spots with the F350, so some places we go riding are off limits unless I drive the exped. That HUGE turning radius is a real pain. I don't think I'd use the expedition to tow the horses to the grand canyon, but for typical east TN trailering, it is just fine. Yes, an suv needs to be equipped appropriately, that's a no-brainer.

Comment

The Suburban is built on a truck frame and will do just fine towing a small bumper pull with one horse. Put a weight distributing hitch on it and make sure the brake box, tranny cooler, etc are all up to snuff and you will be fine.

You will find the 5.3L engine small and feeling underpowered. If you can find one with the 5.7L, you will like it a lot better. Either with get terrible mileage, but unless you go diesel, that will be the breaks.
                          Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                          We Are Flying Solo

Comment

The short answer is "yes."

The longer answer is "yes, but you're approaching the margins of safe towing."

The Suburban, for all intents and purposes, is a truck with a really fancy cap and seats. So apply the same rules to a Suburban as you would to a pickup. A half ton would likely do the job you want to do but you'll have little margin for error if something goes awry (like a trailer brake failure). As long as you understand this and operate with this in mind you'll probably be OK.

I don't see this risk as being unreasonable, but I don't know that I'd take it.

G.
                            Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

Originally posted by airhorse View Post
                              Two words - Diesel Excursion.

Tows 10K, truck frame, big brakes, decent MPG.
                              Yes, if you don't mind an older vehicle (production ended around 2005, I believe) and can actually FIND one!

I know COTH is very anti-SUV towing in general, but have you guys seen some of the campers people are towing with SUVs? Maybe I see more living in a summer recreation state, but O. M. G. Talk about not feeling safe...
                              DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

thanks for the feedback folks! I like vehicles to last, so I think based on the info here and what I am reading, I'll pass on this truck and keep looking. I'd rather get a vehicle I feel very comfortable with from a power perspective. I am concerned that if the truck isn't really up to the job, it won't last very long even if I don't have any safety issues in the interim. Like I said I am not necessarily looking for an SUV, but this one seemed like a good price (it is an estate sale that they are looking to move quickly). Also, fuel economy is not one of my criteria because I only drive about 150 miles per week currently (about 8k miles per year). I expect trailering will add around 2-4k miles per year to that total.

I'll probably stick with my original plan to look for something a little "beefier."

Comment

Originally posted by rmh_rider View Post
                                  But ya know, I do not feel safe being around you when you tow. I have seen lots happen over the years.

Get a real truck to do the job at hand, not a poser.

Also regardless what truck I am pulling with, regardless of what load I am hauling, regardless what farm work I do with the truck I want to FEEL that trailer or load at all times. The sign of a good/safe trailering person is that they can feel and know the load they are hauling. I have the biggest hauling truck (now) on the market. I can feel the trailer at all times, empty or loaded. But believe me, this truck has no problem pulling any load at all, nor stopping it either. I can feel movement in the trailer of the horse, and this is due to experience in hauling. No there is no sway at all in the truck when there is a horse moving around. The movement is slight, but I can feel it. I get 19 mpg in the city and 16mpg hauling. It has 4 doors, and it is a nice go to wal-mart truck. I have no dually's, and it is a short bed. This truck is great with a load, or driving to town with no load. 36 gallon tank so I fill up less often. No diesel stink either. I have not one care what anything weighs I will be pulling, towing, hauling or carrying.

jm(longtime hauling)e.
                                  Got news for you, a 2011, 2500HD Chevy is not "the biggest hauling truck on the market."

For what the op described as the use, a Suburban is a perfectly safe choice.

Comment

I towed for many years with suburbans 1/2 ton and two wheel drive. My two horse trailer was an old Campbell Coach made of steel and I never had any trouble pulling it, all my stuff and two horses. It was a very popular set up in the Louisiana, Arkansas, Texas area when I did HT's. I have since graduated for a dually 3500 Dodge diesel and a 3 horse slant load with an 8'-0 short wall in the dressing room. You can't bet the truck but if you have to have one vehicle to do it all I loved my Suburban.

Comment

Originally posted by rmh_rider View Post
                                      I have not one care what anything weighs I will be pulling, towing, hauling or carrying.
                                      This scares me far more than the thought of the OP hauling one horse in a little 2H BP with a suburban (which, by the way, would be totally fine). I'd have to look up the spec's but I'd imagine that the brakes on a 1500 suburban are going to be the exact same as on a 1500 pickup.

I don't care WHAT kind of truck you drive, there are limits (legal and physical) to what you can tow and carry and you should know (and care) about them. Just because your Duramax has an "HD" at the end of the name doesn't really make it invincible.

Comment

My only question would be what kind of terrain you are dealing with. I hauled with a Suburban when I lived in Houston, Texas where the only hill is an overpass and loved it! Then I moved to Kentucky where I contend with hills every time I tow. That Suburban was NOT enough truck. The clincher for me was driving to Maryland from Kentucky and going through those mountains. WORST towing experience ever. So I traded that in for a Dodge Ram 3500 quad cab diesel dually with four wheel drive...and have not had a trailering problem since!
                                        www.rockhillfarm.net

Comment

Working...
                                        X