• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

UPDATE! Moving OUT (YES)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPDATE! Moving OUT (YES)

Yes! We got the farm!! We are moving either Labor Day weekend or the weekend after. So excited!! We will move the horses home the week after we move.

Property owner will mow the pastures. I have acquired a riding lawn mower for the 1.5 acres around the house. Hay is lined up too.

Now to pack this place and get 'er done!

My husband and I are comtemplating moving to a small farm and bringing our 2 horses home. This is something I have wanted all of my life. We are mid-40s with grown kids, live in a very urban area now, and my husband travels most of the time. I would be home with 2 horses, dogs and cats, and possibly the 20+ year old daughter. It sounds so dreamy!

Friends of ours have their horses at home, and are being very encouraging.

I currently have to be home on a schedule to take care of the dogs and they are on a very consistent feed/potty schedule.

Other than equipment needed, etc., what type of culture shock am I in for?
    Last edited by SmallHerd; Aug. 12, 2011, 10:46 PM.
    Member of My Balance is Poo Poo Clique

You'll spend all your time picking up poo, feeding, and mowing.
    No time to ride
    Spending all your money on farm stuff and not clothes on your back.
    If you're not into competing and just pleasure riding and having the horses at home, then great. I didn't like it because I like to ride not shovel sh-.
    I would recommend someone stay at home full time too. The weekend warrior thing was exhausting.
    Even duct tape can't fix stupid

Comment

Most of the time...

It's heaven for me except I miss the cameraderie and riding companions I had in boarding barns. Sometimes I don't have anybody to ride with.

Comment

Give yourself a full year to adjust as there will be different challenges in every season. The first year will be very hard work (but to me, fulfilling and enjoyable, even as you bust your butt with not enough hours in the day!) as you figure out what works for you, what doesn't, and how to absorb the lessons learned from the mistakes you will inevitably make . You can also plan on dropping 10+ pounds and being able to eat ANYTHING you want!

Good luck to you, I absolutely loved having my horses at home and after four years of boarding, hope to have them home again within a year. I can't wait.
        ~Living the life I imagined~

Comment

I went from boarding to having 5 horses at home, plus a large fenced in yard, gardens, etc.

I was used to spending my weekends riding, spending time with friends, doing fun things, catching up on stuff. Now I mow the lawn, clean up poop, weed the gardens, clean out troughs, clean up more poop, fill buckets, etc etc etc.

Its GREAT having the horses at home, but it's a LOT of work. I went from living in apartments/townhouses through college and after to farm life. Big culture shock for me.

Also, going out of town is really hard when you have them at home. SO and I go out of town every few weekends and its hard to find someone I trust to take care of the horses, dogs and cats.
          Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
          White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AliCat518 View Post
            I went from boarding to having 5 horses at home, plus a large fenced in yard, gardens, etc.

I was used to spending my weekends riding, spending time with friends, doing fun things, catching up on stuff. Now I mow the lawn, clean up poop, weed the gardens, clean out troughs, clean up more poop, fill buckets, etc etc etc.

Its GREAT having the horses at home, but it's a LOT of work. I went from living in apartments/townhouses through college and after to farm life. Big culture shock for me.

Also, going out of town is really hard when you have them at home. .
            This But I love it

Comment

LOVE IT!!!!!

I actually don't find it that much work, especially because I used to work at 20+ horse barn (Ask me that again in the winter though...). Uh, other then cleaning up/prepping/repairing/renoing things because we just moved in.

But we're having a ton of fun, and it is indescribably wonderful to be able to look out my kitchen window and see my beautiful horse out in our fields

You can also plan on dropping 10+ pounds and being able to eat ANYTHING you want!
              VERY true!!!
              "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
              Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
              Need You Now Equine

Comment

With only two horses, you want to choose a location where
                other people nearby have horses. Otherwise you will have
                a difficult time getting a farrier to come, finding a horse
                savvy vet, getting to a tack shop and/or feed store that
                carries the kinds of things you need.

You also want plenty of horse owning neighbors so you
                can band together and protect your interests if the local
                government gets a wild hair and decides to make things
                less desirable for horse owners.
                Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
                Elmwood, Wisconsin

Comment

I've been at it for 5 years -- the first 3 years I was a single, middle-aged lady. Now I am past-middle-aged married lady.

It's a great adventure, and if that is what you are looking for, I highly recommend it. As others have said, it's a lot of work. Did I mention a lot of work? I cannot over-state that it is a lot of work!

However, a few things I have learned that enhance the fun aspect --
                  1. If you can possibly find a trainer (or depending your needs, just a good, young rider) to help with your horses, they will be a lot more fun for you. Someone who can help keep them in condition physically, and keep their minds on work. It happened to me, and I have seen a LOT of other folks go through this, too -- you bring your horses home, and you start to work a LOT on the farm, and bad weather comes and before you know it, it's been 6 months since you rode your horse. And now he is plenty FRESH and you're a little intimidated about riding him alone -- and there is seldom anyone around -- and one thing leads to another and suddenly your horse is out of condition and at the same time way too fresh for you to ride. So ... a trainer or a good young person to just get in the exercise rides, would be a big help. Now, when you're reading to saddle up for a Sunday ride, you don't have Dobbin-the-Dynamo underneath you!

2. Ride. Don't put it off. Keep up with the barn work as much as you can during the week so your whole weekend is not spent on barn work. Remember, barn work can last all weekend, but your ride will only be a few hours. Do it first! Then, once you've ridden, go ahead and do your barn / farm chores.

3. Line up someone as quickly as you can to farm-sit. You WILL want to take a break. And, while you're at it, try not to establish a routine that is so stringent only YOU can do it. Be flexible. It is not true that horses will colic if not fed at the same time every day. It is not true that they will die if their stall is not picked out twice a day. It is not true that they need exact rations, supplements, and grooming at exact moments every day. Set up a routine that allows for the easiest possible maintenance -- both for you and your farm-sitter. Also, if you can, set things up so a pinch-hitter can feed without having to enter stalls or bring horses in-or-out. It is easier to find someone to come over and throw a scoop of grain into a bucket or throw a few flakes of hay into the run-in shed than to catch and halter your horses, bring them into their stalls, etc., etc., etc.

Just my two-cents.

I love it. Realize I may not be here when I am 90, but they are going to have to drag me kicking-and-screaming away from this paradise.

But did I mention it's a lot of work??

Comment

• Original Poster

THANK YOU everyone! Here are a few more details . .

We have identified the place already. The property is in the middle of small farms with horses - very horse-centric. There are trails connecting everyone's property, including that of one of my dear friends.

Farrier and vet service will not be a problem.

I DO already have a farm sitter - actually 2 that I can call, along with my daughter (the pinch-hitter).

One of our horses is retired from competition and is used only for the occassional trail ride by my daughter (he is her horse). Our other horse is MY horse. We haul out for lessons to an eventing barn now, so that will not change.

I WANT the work, actually. To me, it will be totally worth it to have my horses outside my window. I can ride a 4 AM if I want, you know?
                    Member of My Balance is Poo Poo Clique

Comment

It's a lot less work if you have a good set up with a run-in shed where you can leave your horses out 24/7 with access to shelter. You still have to pick poo out of the shed once in a while, but it's less time sensitive, and a whole lot less work.

Set-up is everything. The layout of your barn/shed/house/pasture can make chores a walk in the park, or a pain in the ass. And there's no one right way, it's all about what works for you.

Visit lots of barns and find out what they love and hate about their facility and daily routine. Think about how you want your horses kept, what kinds of features are important to you, and how expensive they would be to incorporate into the properties you look at.

ETA: Fence maintenance is my most hated chore :P
                      "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
                      -Edward Hoagland

Comment

Originally posted by HPFarmette View Post
                        It's heaven for me except I miss the cameraderie and riding companions I had in boarding barns. Sometimes I don't have anybody to ride with.
                        This, but I wouldn't trade it for a house in the 'burbs and a boarding barn
                        I wasn't always a Smurf
                        Penmerryl Sophie RIDSH
                        "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                        The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallHerd View Post

I WANT the work, actually. To me, it will be totally worth it to have my horses outside my window. I can ride a 4 AM if I want, you know?
                          I kind of felt this way, although I do sometimes resent having to do things like fix fence and move poo instead of other stuff. But most of the time it is great.

We made the change about 18 months ago and its been great. I second what someone said about riding first. Also, make sure you have an efficient set-up. It makes things go so much better. We were lucky that our farm was well designed with most things where they needed to be. But we've also made management choices partially on the basis of ease of care.

Good luck and remember that you have horses for fun. If you lose that fun somehow, make sure to change your routine so its fun again!
                          Here Be Dragons: My blog about venturing beyond the lower levels as a dressage amateur.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallHerd View Post
                            THANK YOU everyone! Here are a few more details .

Farrier and vet service will not be a problem.
                            Wanna bet? Lost my farrier
                            And hay - hay people around here only like to deal in huge quantities that would last you a whole year or more.
                            And plan on taking time off of work when you do have to get feed/hay/etc because around here, those stores are only open during regular working hours.
                            I did get my feed delivered and that was very nice!
                            Hay was a different story - so was anything else I needed like fertilizing/liming pastures or any other type work that needed to be hired out.
                            And plan wisely for as little mowing as possible. That nice expanse of lawn is a pita when you have to weed whack around fencing AND do that. A little yard and as much gravel and dry areas for winter as possible.
                            Even duct tape can't fix stupid

Comment

my story

I was lucky enough to buy a small farm...silver lining to the divorce I didn't want...ex would never move out of the city. The barn was very neglected. One corner was decaying into the ground because the cedar roof shingles on that weather side were covered in a foot of pine needles...rotting. A fine gentleman, whom I didn't know too well at the time, came out to fix it, jacked it up, put in pressure-treated, etc. (I replaced the roof myself.) This fine gentleman paused in his work at one point, looked around and said, May I speak frankly to you? I (thinking WTF?) said...yes.....He said: This is a helluva project for a broad. Thus my farm name, Helluva Project Farmette.
                              Have fun picking your farm name.
                              Last edited by HPFarmette; Jul. 21, 2011, 03:33 PM. Reason: fix spelling

Comment

Fix-itis.

There are so many thing to break, wear-out or modify on a farm... You'll want and need some mechanical skills or a lot of money to hire every little thing out. Make sure your partner is up for this aspect. Travel all week to come home to a honey-do list gets old quick.

That said... I sure enjoy the land and space.
                                Equus makus brokus but happy

Comment

Been doing it 11 years, only occasionally want to go back to boarding. Like once every 5 years lol.

Went through 4-5 farriers til I settled on one, being in a horsie area you'll be fine in that regard. Went through one vet on my way to the one I love and he's not allowed to retire, ever.

The biggest thing for me was not having a trusted BO to look to and ask 'is he off on that hind leg?'- so make sure you not only develop good relationships with good neighbors, but that you are a good neighbor as well: Take care of those good folks around you so you have a person to lean on for a hug, or a shot of Banamine as needed

I love having total control over their care, it's a ton of work but we make it work.

Comment

One more note on the "work" aspect -- it is a lot of work, but if you enjoy it, it's not so bad. I mean, some people garden, some people run marathons, some people decorate -- everybody does SOMEthing on their days off. As for me, I truly enjoy driving the tractor, mucking the stalls, fixing fence, and etc. It sort of becomes a hobby.

And there is great satisfaction in a clean, freshly bedded stall. And a de-cobwebbed barn. And automatic fly sprayers that work. And on and on. I love standing outside and looking around all the work we got done over the weekend, and taking pride in how nice it all looks.

But there is honestly NOTHING better than the way living with horses changes your life. Having them with you at home is like bringing them into the family. I think you get to know them in a way you never could if you board. I just feel like I know every thing about each of them -- right down their unique sense of humor. Having them at home has enriched our lives beyond words.

So ... to each his own, but for me, it is worth it every day!

PS -- I NEVER shop. Never did. If you like to shop, farm living might not be much fun!

Comment

Originally posted by hosspuller View Post
                                      Fix-itis.

There are so many thing to break, wear-out or modify on a farm... You'll want and need some mechanical skills or a lot of money to hire every little thing out. Make sure your partner is up for this aspect. Travel all week to come home to a honey-do list gets old quick.

That said... I sure enjoy the land and space.
                                      LOL, we have 20 acres, 13 horses and 30 goats. There is very little I can't do alone....the "honey do" list is only the "Honey I can't do this alone"
                                      Mr P mows along the bank by the road, I don't like the slope, and alongside the fence, because I don't go close enough. He moves stuff with the loader or fork lift and will hold goats for deworming. He tills the garden with the Troybuilt Pony if my smaller Stiehl isn't strong enough. He usually bush hogs the pastures though I can do that myself. I can't change the implements on the big tractor. Weekends in the winter we put 2 round bales in the pastures, that's a 2 person operation.

We buy about 1200 square bales a year and I stack most of them, plus 50 round bales.

I don't do chain saws, that's strictly his department.

Most weekends he gets in two rounds of golf.

However we have 2 kubotas, one about 50 hp and 1 is 26 or so, plus a heavy duty golf cart, which actually gets the most use.
                                      I wasn't always a Smurf
                                      Penmerryl Sophie RIDSH
                                      "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                                      The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

I think the biggest thing about having them at home is that you really have to re-examine your priorities:

For example, I would love to have a perfectly manicured yard and barn/barnyard. And a clean house. BUT... I like to ride. So my house is a mess, my yard doesn't mowed like it should, I haven't run the weed eater in forever, and somedays I skip stall cleaning to ride (I know, some people are gasping). My horses aren't perfectly groomed either.

You will have a never-ending list of things needing to be done. And you'll have to learn to live with the knowledge that you can't do them all.
                                        Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X