• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What would you think about a municipal indoor riding arena?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you think about a municipal indoor riding arena?

I live in a horsey area. I would bet that half of the homes in my small town have horses. We also have a lot of land designated to equestrian trails, and a lot of the town energy goes to maintaining and defending those trails. Our town logo is horseshoes. Everyone runs for office on the platform of keeping our horse-friendly atmosphere.

What would really make my life complete is an indoor riding arena.

Say you were the mayor of this small town and one of the residents proposed that the town buy a piece of land, construct an indoor riding arena, and sell memberships to it -- sort of like a community pool. What that strike you as nutty or interesting?

What would move the idea a little from nutty towards interesting?

If your community offered such a thing -- say within 5 miles of your house (because our town is no bigger than 5 miles across) -- would you pay to join? I'm thinking I would!
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Within the past 5 years or so, 2 covered arenas have been built in South Fla. Palm Beach county has one as Jim Brandon Equestrian Center. They also build covered stalls, and about 5-6 other rings. They have a multitude of shows there and it seems to be quite successful. They also built 2 more rings for barrel shows, etc.

Plus they reopened former trails that had been on the property. Sadly, they closed them for the last 3 years as they've had a contractor removing exotic vegetation, replanting new stuff, etc, but they are supposed to reopen this fall with the trails redone.

Plantation Acres has had horse shows for years and they also built a covered arena with covered stalls.

The main reason for covered show grounds down here is to combat the heat and hard rains that we get. They're able to show year round.

People are allowed to ride at these areas when shows aren't going on, but I don't know the particulars as I'm a trail rider/camper. You can check their websites for details and perhaps it would be of interest and valuable info for your efforts.

Comment

I would definitely pay to have access to a municipal indoor. We have a beautiful county park close by me with 2 nice outdoor rings and trails, but they're virtually useless in winter because of mud and wind. If one of them were enclosed, locals would definitely pay a fee to have access to an indoor. There are a lot of 'backyard' owners in our area who struggle to ride in winter.
      Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
      Witherun Farm
      http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Comment

It sounds like a terrific idea. I would guess that for any municipality, the greatest worry is always liability, but if they could wrap their heads around taht, I bet it would be successful.

Comment

Originally posted by Hinderella View Post
          It sounds like a terrific idea. I would guess that for any municipality, the greatest worry is always liability, but if they could wrap their heads around taht, I bet it would be successful.
          I'm wondering if there would be a liablility difference between an enclosed arena where you pay a fee as opposed to the current park setup that is free?

Obviously there would be different upkeep issues with an indoor, but otherwise, I don't see that there would be any additional liablility for the municipality unless there is a difference because of the fee paid?
          Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
          Witherun Farm
          http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Comment

I don't think it's automatically nutty, but I'd like to see the the sums the resident did to know if their estimates of costs and of the number of memberships they could sell was in any way realistic.

Say it was going to cost $1MM to build, $100K a year to maintain and $50K in loan interest. Can they realistically sell 250 memberships at $1000 each to pay for itself over 10 years. If half those people turn up sometime during the day to use it each weekend day can 10 or 20 people realistically use an indoor of that hypothetical size at once?

Also why should the town be involved? What does it do for non-members? If it offers nothing to non-members why shouldn't it be a separate for profit or non-profit organization?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by tangledweb View Post
              Also why should the town be involved? What does it do for non-members? If it offers nothing to non-members why shouldn't it be a separate for profit or non-profit organization?
              My first day dream was to do this myself. There's a 2 acre lot for sale across the street from my house. I'd love to have an indoor arena right there. But that's as far as my day dream got.
              I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Comment

Honestly I think it sounds like a nightmare. People can hardly share arenas at boarding barns without drama, can you imagine all the random (nutty?) people you would have to deal with? You would almost need lifeguards at the sides like a public pool, to keep people from being really stupid and getting hurt.
                Jigga:
                Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Comment

Originally posted by saultgirl View Post
                  Honestly I think it sounds like a nightmare. People can hardly share arenas at boarding barns without drama, can you imagine all the random (nutty?) people you would have to deal with? You would almost need lifeguards at the sides like a public pool, to keep people from being really stupid and getting hurt.
                  My SMALL (+/- 1,000) community had a public arena. Honestly it worked out great..... no ring side nannies needed.

The arena is on County land (unincorporated area), and the community....the users of the arena kept it in shape. We even gathered donations and bought sand. Had work day weekends to weed and fix fences, drag etc. Even built a collective set of jumps which were shared.

Would have been great if it was covered! I think it could work, if you had community support.

And I guess that is the key word, COMMUNITY, the arena I am talking about is in a small town, where people still "know one another" and behave respectfully. I have seen worse situations at boarding barns... barns that were not a community, but a collection of "me first" type people.
                  APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

This has been working
                    http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/turnerfarm/
                    except for some complaints about horse poop

ETA another county park does have an indoor....the local soccer leagues used to take up a lot of time in it though
                    I wasn't always a Smurf
                    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
                    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

There are a number of places like this out here... often privately owned "riding clubs" that you can buy memberships to.

They can be... interesting...
                      "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Comment

http://www.silversands.org/

Silver Sands Bridle Club in Port Orange, FL is sort of like that. I believe it is a private organization but the idea is simple. Members pay a fee and are expected to do volunteer hours, and in return can use the arena when there are not other events scheduled.

I believe the shows and clinics (most weekends) pay the bills. It has city support to the point that it is VERY difficult to get county building approval to build private arenas. Our farm was able to get a covered arena built after MUCH red tape, but the county said no way we were allowed to have an observation/spectator deck. Guess they were worried we'd try to compete with Silver Sands....
                        The rebel in the grey shirt

Comment

It's a common construct around here. Many towns have a public indoor arena/rodeo facility that if you are a resident of the town (ie pay taxes there) you can go ride in for a small fee--non residents pay a larger fee.

Most riders are western, footing can be an issue. Cows in chutes can be an issue... But, they are well-used and much liked around here.

Comment

In our area, I wouldn't join -- it would quickly be commandeered by the local yahoos running about yanking on massive bits in lieu of training and draining beer cans out by the trailers.
                            Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                            We Are Flying Solo

Comment

The town that I'm from has one. Actually a whole equestrian facility. It was preexisting, built on donated land and everything was built by local non profit horse clubs. The regional district stepped in a few years ago and manages/maintains it as a regional park. We all have to have insurance and sign waivers to use it, also most pay either an annual or drop in membership. It works well for us.

Comment

Many counties out in the western half of the country have indoor arenas (esp if they have a nasty winter climate). They cover costs by having events ranging from horse shows to trade shows to mud pulls. In some areas they are open to any to use while others are owned by a group...here for instance I am a member of the local rodeo association...costs me $5/year to use the arena (which is an outdoor, not a covered or indoor but our limited rain...4 inches a year....makes outdoor usable most of the year) any time I choose as long as there is no event going on at the time. In another area I lived it was the county fairgrounds...if you wanted to ride at any time you could if no event was going on...if you rented stalls there you had use of the entire facility (stalls were, at that time, $35/month with you providing full care and all shavings and keeping them cleaned). We managed without the drama that seems to be present in some of the boarding barns mentioned here...not entirely drama free but very seldom was anything out of hand as anyone and everyone was entitled to deal with a problem (I remember being cheered when I yanked a 15 year old off a horse I had leased her and didn't know she was running the pregnant mare early in the afternoons...I was working day shift so didn't get there until chores were done in the evening...got off early one day and found out what was happening...everyone there knew what she was doing and several had spoken to her about it). The previous place was in a state with an equine limited liability law so the county was pretty well covered. The current place has plenty of "ride at your own risk" signs around and is open to members and guests only unless we rent it out for something...a rodeo or roping event for instance. I'm one of the western riding yahoos I guess since my horses were/are ridden in a curb bit sometimes (and yes, we were training...just because it doesn't match dressage training in looks doesn't mean it wasn't being done)....and yeah, been known to have a beer out by the trailer after a hot day of cleaning stalls, stacking hay and riding a couple. No one had exclusive use of the arena unless they paid for an hour or two (it was costly to rent) so we all learned to get along....we just worked out scheduling that allowed most to get done what they wanted/needed to do. The previous place also had a starting gate, a 3/8 of a mile track, two round pens, several outdoor arena areas, the center field of the track had some jumps set up and there were jump setups available to put up indoors as well....and about 100 stalls available for rent during off show season.
                                Colored Cowhorse Ranch
                                www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
                                Northern NV

Comment

We have an arena in our community. One pays a yearly membership fee for riding priveledges. There are times blocked out where the pony club and another riding club use it, everyone of course signs a release, and volunteers from the membership and the clubs take care of the upkeep. There are a few people who give lessons there, and it is used year round. The property is fenced and locked, and members are given the code to the gate. They hold small, local horse shows and other activities there during the year for a little added income.

Comment

Working...
                                  X