• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Getting rid of skunks... ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting rid of skunks... ?

Apparently skunks have taken up residence under the tackroom in my barn. Normally I love nature, I even like skunks. But the little jerks are tunneling under my barn floor (which is dirt and sand) and making it collapse into giant craters. I wasn't sure what it was today until I stepped down, sunk through the dirt into another tunnel and smelled the very unmistakable smell of skunk. Strong enough to make me ill.

So obviously trapping and relocating is not an option. I am not going to shoot them (with my eyesight, I'm not safe with a gun!). How can I get rid of them?
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

They don't like noise, so try leaving a radio playing. (Station is your choice. ) It should bother them to the point where they'll move on.

Also, it's likely that they have young ones, and as soon as they're older, the whole group will be moving on.

Make sure any cat/dog food or accessible trash cans are locked up. Any food source that could be attracting them, really.

Comment

Wrap your dog in plastic-wrap and send them in?
      "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
      Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
      Need You Now Equine

Comment

I believe I read they do not like mothballs; you could try
        sprinkling those into the tunnels. Of course, they don't
        smell much better than a skunk. We did live trap the
        one who was living under our front porch and had the
        township chairman come and remove the tenanted
        livetrap. He put a tarp over the trap and loaded it
        into his pickup. Skunk did not spray. Don't know where
        he took it but it didn't come back.
        Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
        Elmwood, Wisconsin

Comment

A couple weeks back I learned a skunk had built a nest under a hay pallet in my barn. With the front end loader of the tractor I moved the hay, exposed the skunk then turned on the water hose with a nozzle that creates a strong pressure spray and blasted the skunk. It has not returned. So maybe if you could get a dog to flush out your skunk you could try water blasting it.

Good luck.

Comment

Don't bother trying relocation. They will come back a number of miles, and you're just transferring your problem to another hunting area for other skunks and predators. Once you get rid of them please try to block off the entrances they used (hopefully there is a limited number that you can block off). If anything gets skunked then use the gel toothpaste (one large tube per big dog, and they're minty fresh after) or the usual liquid detergent, peroxide, baking soda mixture. You will also need to wash any fabric (saddle blankets etc) after they leave too or you'll smell it forever. Unfortunately, skunks will come back year after year unless the access is blocked, but of course every animal wants a nice place to live and raise young so you have to eliminate the skunks or else have this happen over and over.
            You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

interesting site.

A friend of ours found a skunk kit in his garage. He easily capture it and we started calling him the"skunk whisperer" He did turn it over to the local wildlife rescue who then called the "skunk man" Jerry Dragoo who id'ed the skunk as a rare spotted skunk. Dragoo has a website to help out skunks. dragoo.org

here is another article http://www.stevekemper.net/skunk_man_23063.htm

As you are nearby in TX you may want to contact this guy and see if he can help you out.

Comment

We had this problem a few years ago. Tried mothballs and flooding, neither worked. Got some fox urine from the feed store (Callahan's if you have occasion to be in Austin, cowgirljenn), sprayed it around the holes where we'd seen them coming and going. THAT worked!

Comment

Yes, leave door WIDE open and play the loudest heavy metal music you can find.

I also had them take up residence under my hay pallets, so I got informed via the wonderful internet and they do hate loud noises. I had the radio boom box on the loudest it would go on the wildest heavy metal music station there is in our area. You could play a cd too. Leave the area open and make sure their leaving will not be impeded by any person or dog or cat. THEN you must find where they are coming in and fix it right away.

If you can not get rid of them, this would be the time to pay a pro to come out and remove them.

I have had them spray in the barn many times. Then the barn is off limits for a long long time. I put a hot wire on the outside of the barn and left a door open where they were coming in, and made it low enough for them to not be able to go under, and one wire high enough for them not to be able to jump, but an open invitation for them to come on in, and be ZAPPED. This has also worked well.

The do leave at dusk, come on home in the morning. Read up on them. You can put lime of flour down to see them leave. But I have not been able to see foot prints in the lime I have put down. I have tried all tricks.

The music was the best after many trails and errors on getting them out for good. Place music in there right away, and leave everything wide open, play day and night if you must lots of bass, and really close to where they are. But get their entrance and exit closed up right away when you know they are gone. They will let you know they are there by their warning scratching and also they will let out a little skunk fart and you will smell it if they are there. HATE those things!

Good luck!

Comment

We had a Momma and six babies living under the shop this spring. I didn't try the music idea but that might work. If not you can hire someone to shot them but it is crazy expensive and we have gun so we just did it ourselves. The babies came out during the day so they were easy but the Momma he had to wait around for.

Comment

Trapping is not out of the question...I'm not the expert on this, but you can trap them and then cover the trap with a dark blanket--supposedly they won't spray in the dark. BUT--do NOT relocate wildlife, it is illegal in many areas. I really like the fox urine idea, tho hopefully I'll never need it.

Comment

• Original Poster

I figured if we trapped them, we would call a wildlife rehabber/relocator to find out what to do. I wasn't going to go dump them to become someone else's problem.

We bought something at Lowe's designed to deter unwanted small animals. I forget what it is called, I'm calling it Skunk Away. It smells horrid. I think I'm going to run an extension cord out there (no power to the barn yet) and blast loud music, too, and probably put out some bright lights.

I haven't smelled them since we put out the Skunk Away, but that doesn't 100% mean they've moved on. I don't always smell them....

Fortunately they're not IN the tackroom itself (it has a wood floor) but underneath it. So they're not spraying tack and such.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions, too.
                        Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Comment

I would combine predator urine and lots of noise. No one wants to live in a neighbourhood like that! ROFL!
                          Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                          We Are Flying Solo

Comment

Yes on the fox urine, no on the trapping.

If you call a rehabber they are not likely to help as you trapped a healthy skunk. We've enough to do taking care of orphaned and injured without dealing with nuisance animals. Honest - we love them all but we are busy volunteers.....Rehabbers prefer exclusion over trapping.

So get some fox urine (hunting section) and apply liberally. And put some of the urine on sticks and chuck them down into the hole/openings.

The alternative is the use of a male friend, hubby or boyfriend. Can't tell you how often THAT works
                            Horse Feathers Farm

Comment

The only thing that works permanently is to live trap them and then poke them with sticks from about 3 feet away. Works every time.

Comment

Working...
                              X