• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

I want an equine products company to offer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want an equine products company to offer

a solid lid for manure buckets that snap on like a garbage can lid. I pick stalls and the sacrifice paddocks all day long and only dump the manure bucket when it gets full. Right now I have a square piece of plywood that I put on top of a manure bucket so the flies can't get it and so the dog doesn't go after 'treats'. Unfortunately the dog is smart enough to push it over if I'm not looking. If some company that makes the manure buckets would make a firm snap on cover, I'd buy a couple immediately.

How about it, what would you like to see invented?
    Sue

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Why not use a garbage can or a Tuff Stuff container with a snap on lid? If you wanted to even put them in a little cart like muck tubs, they would probably fit. I have Tuff Stuff containers with lids that hold anywhere from 50 lbs. to 300 lbs.
    "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by cutter99 View Post
      Why not use a garbage can or a Tuff Stuff container with a snap on lid? If you wanted to even put them in a little cart like muck tubs, they would probably fit. I have Tuff Stuff containers with lids that hold anywhere from 50 lbs. to 300 lbs.
      Some good suggestions here cutter99. I don't think I can use a cart because the muck buckets have to be dumped into a dumpster and the path to get to the dumpster is all gravel and goes up a slope as well. I do have an extra 30 gallon metal garbage can lid and I suppose I could see if that would fit over it. I'll also do a google search on Tuff Stuff containers and see if something works there. Right now I have 1 brand new muck bucket and another in great shape so I don't believe in tossing them out but I'm sure that they will eventually go the way of all muck buckets that end up with holes in the bottom from being dragged over the rough gravel.
      Sue

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Comment

I don't know if these are made locally around here or if they are available anywhere, but my BO has something called a Muck Lid which is a round wooden lid that fits over the muck bucket top. It's got a little lip and everything, so it seals off the bucket and really helps reduce flies and odor.

I bet it wouldn't be hard to get someone to make one. I can try to get pics and measurements if you want.
        Some nights I stay up cashing in my bad luck; some nights I call it a draw. -- fun.

My favorite podcasts: Overdue, The Black Tapes, Tanis, Rabbits, How Did This Get Made?, Up and Vanished.

Comment

Just another thought- does the lid have to be solid? I have seen bucket covers that looked like they were a heavy duty canvas that have elastic to they stretch over the lid and then tighten to the side of the bucket. I would think something like that might keep the dog out- although mine would probably fiugre out a way to get at their "treats"! It would definately work for flies.

I live in the land of the Amish and they can manufacture just about anything you can think of. I know a local harness shop could make a heavy duty canvas tarp for the top of a muck bucket. I doubt they would hold up like a fitted lid though.

Comment

A suggestion, dump as soon as you finish the job so dog doesn't get into manure.

Besides, it is "used grasss and grains" that the dog is eating, there are much worse things that your dog could be into.

And get a cart, so you are not dragging the muck tub over gravel. The are different qualities of carts or a garden wagon may be used, too.

Comment

• Original Poster

cutter99, I looked at the Tuff Stuff products and while they had a drum that would be a good size (17 gallon and muck buckets are usually ~16 gallons) they didn't appear to have handles. I need at least one handle to tie baling twine so I can pull the bucket along and up the grade to the dumpster. I'd have to call the company to find out. If no handle I'm sure I could put a couple of holes in it to make a handle like on a muck basket.

I have a neighbor that's very handy and does a LOT of work for me around the farm and in the house and he may come up with some sort of snap on lid.

I've thought about a plastic or canvas cover with elastic and that would probably work to keep flies down and dog out as long as the dog doesn't decide to chew on it. I'm just not sure I want to keep taking it off and on.
              Sue

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by cllane1 View Post
                I don't know if these are made locally around here or if they are available anywhere, but my BO has something called a Muck Lid which is a round wooden lid that fits over the muck bucket top. It's got a little lip and everything, so it seals off the bucket and really helps reduce flies and odor.

I bet it wouldn't be hard to get someone to make one. I can try to get pics and measurements if you want.
                I'd love it if you could get more information on the Muck Lid and pictures as well. I did a google search and didn't see anything. I've got a neighbor who could probably make one. Heck he's put several additions on his home as well as made a ranch into a 2 story!
                Sue

Comment

Sure thing. I'll be out at the barn tomorrow, so I'll get some pics and info.
                  Some nights I stay up cashing in my bad luck; some nights I call it a draw. -- fun.

My favorite podcasts: Overdue, The Black Tapes, Tanis, Rabbits, How Did This Get Made?, Up and Vanished.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by jcotton View Post
                    A suggestion, dump as soon as you finish the job so dog doesn't get into manure.

Besides, it is "used grasss and grains" that the dog is eating, there are much worse things that your dog could be into.

And get a cart, so you are not dragging the muck tub over gravel. The are different qualities of carts or a garden wagon may be used, too.
                    Thanks for the suggestion but I know a cart doesn't work because I've already tried 2 different ones.

I do dump after I've done the stalls or when the bucket is 1/2 or more full but I have no intention of dumping just one pile or 2 of manure. What I'm doing right now is using a piece of plywood over the bucket and putting the bucket in an empty stall so the dog can't get at it.
                    Sue

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by cllane1 View Post
                      Sure thing. I'll be out at the barn tomorrow, so I'll get some pics and info.
                      Thanks.
                      Sue

Comment

Originally posted by msj View Post
                        I've thought about a plastic or canvas cover with elastic and that would probably work to keep flies down and dog out as long as the dog doesn't decide to chew on it.

The makers of mesh or canvas bucket covers should just make a 70 qt size.

I'll bet people who soak large qtys of beet pulp would like that. We use the mesh cover on the soaking beets.
                        ::Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you::

Comment

Hey Sue,

The Tuff Stuff containers don't have handles but you could punch holes in the side like you said and make the handles. They may wear a little better than the average muck tub because the plastic is more rubbery than a normal muck tub. I have one I've been using for probably 8-10 years now for feed, storing blankets, etc. These are the original ones I bought so they are pretty durable. Good luck with your search! Let us know what you decide to do!

Comment

How about using a cheap elastic edged plastic table cloth - like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I6MR9I/...SIN=B000I6MR9I

Or part of an old tarp and a long bungee cord to wrap around the muck bucket to hold it in place?

My wish is for someone to invent a bucket handle spreader, so that when the horses bend the bucket handle and the bucket out of round, all you would have to do is put the spreader in between the handle, and crank/ratchet the handle back to it's original position. I've tried hammering them back out, it is an epic failure.
                            There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by MunchkinsMom View Post
                              How about using a cheap elastic edged plastic table cloth - like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I6MR9I/...SIN=B000I6MR9I

Or part of an old tarp and a long bungee cord to wrap around the muck bucket to hold it in place?

My wish is for someone to invent a bucket handle spreader, so that when the horses bend the bucket handle and the bucket out of round, all you would have to do is put the spreader in between the handle, and crank/ratchet the handle back to it's original position. I've tried hammering them back out, it is an epic failure.
                              That elastisized tablecloth has some merit as long as the dog doesn't decide to try to chew or paw through it. Bungee cord and tarp may be a bit of a PITA.

Can't help you with the bucket handle but if you take the bucket handle off, you now have a wastebasket. I'll be honest though I use the insulated buckets:

http://www.horsestalls.com/waterers.htm

I've had them for 22 yrs now and only one has been dented slightly but is still very usable. One negative about them is if the bucket is still full and you need to dump it, you do have to use something to scoop some water out first or be prepared to probably get wet trying to lift out the 5 gallon bucket which is pretty heavy. Also if the horses do happen to lift their tails at the wrong place, it's NO FUN trying to empty a bucket full of watery horse manure.
                              Sue

Comment

interesting...because I've long wondered? why muck tubs didn't have a 'lid' option----

My little barn will only house 2 horses, (maybe even a mini or a goat instead of the second horse) and I have been thinking of a muck tub cut to fit wood lid, for the 'throughout the day' clean up/pick up of a pile or two....

I've not decided 'for sure' but I think? I'm going to price out/try to design a 'park the wheelbarrow under here' space...something designed to JUST fit under, handles exposed...so that I can keep a plastic wheelbarrow just for muck (hate it at the boarding barn when I have to use one for clean shavings/hay that had been used for messy muck)
                                perhaps even a heavy rubber 'flap' across the front for even snugger /less fly fitting.

trying to find the best 'just outside barn door' space for this, so its accessible all day, but not in the way. I figure if it rains , this would be handy as well, so manure wouldnt turn into poop soup.
                                ayrabz
                                "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
                                --Jimmy Buffett

Comment

I imagine the reason there isn't a snap on, airtight lid for muck buckets is because the build up of methane could pose a safety risk.
                                  "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
                                  http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by kinnip View Post
                                    I imagine the reason there isn't a snap on, airtight lid for muck buckets is because the build up of methane could pose a safety risk.
                                    Good point, and the heat generated might be a fire risk as well.

I have my Newer Spreader in the barn that has manure in it, I have found two ways to keep the flies off (my dogs do not come to the barn), either each load with a good layer of used shavings, or sprinkle with St Gabriel's Fly Swatter granules. I only spread my manure every other day (with the price of gas, I hate to run the tractor for a partial load).

As to the bent buckets, they have come in handy during our latest remodeling project, my husband needed to put down new concrete in the bathroom, and now is doing the tiling, so the bent buckets are coming in handy for that chore.
                                    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by ayrabz View Post
                                      interesting...because I've long wondered? why muck tubs didn't have a 'lid' option----

My little barn will only house 2 horses, (maybe even a mini or a goat instead of the second horse) and I have been thinking of a muck tub cut to fit wood lid, for the 'throughout the day' clean up/pick up of a pile or two....

I've not decided 'for sure' but I think? I'm going to price out/try to design a 'park the wheelbarrow under here' space...something designed to JUST fit under, handles exposed...so that I can keep a plastic wheelbarrow just for muck (hate it at the boarding barn when I have to use one for clean shavings/hay that had been used for messy muck)
                                      perhaps even a heavy rubber 'flap' across the front for even snugger /less fly fitting.

trying to find the best 'just outside barn door' space for this, so its accessible all day, but not in the way. I figure if it rains , this would be handy as well, so manure wouldnt turn into poop soup.
                                      Before I went to the dumpster, I used to use a lg. plastic wheelbarrow to dump manure into the concrete bunker and had my neighbor just cut a piece of plywood the shape of the top of the wheelbarrow. It was high enough the dog couldn't easily slide it off and kept the flies down. He even put a handle on it to make it easy to remove.
                                      Sue

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by kinnip View Post
                                        Hm, that is a good point to consider but I can't imagine that a half full manure bucket would generate that much manure through the day. I generally dump it when it gets 1/2 full so that's about 2 buckets (1/2 full)after stalls are cleaned in the morning. Maybe if it was a more southern climate and left out in the sun. Besides it wouldn't have to be an airtight lid, just something the dog couldn't push off and flies couldn't get at readily.
                                        Sue

Comment

Working...
                                        X