• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Guinea Hens....how many to make a difference?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guinea Hens....how many to make a difference?

So one of my neighbors apparently picked up some guinea hens recently who have adopted my farm as a new home. They're making the dogs go crazy (which is driving us crazy), spooking the horses, and are just loud enough calling to each other to be annoying (as uninvited guests anyways).

My question is.....can 3 guinea hens make a difference in the bug population on my 5 acre farm? They're actually kind of cute, and I know that given time the dogs will calm down and it's never bad to get the horses used to something new (though I'm a bit worried about how often the hens dart underneath their legs). I'm trying to decide if it's worth having them around or if I should make a point of talking to my neighbor....though I'm not sure there's much he can do since I do have a much more inviting property (well, I think it's more appealing to guinea hens....his is pretty densely wooded).

Should I just embrace my new guests and feel lucky that they've adopted me?

I don't know how well they will reduce the bug population, but guinea hen eggs are the perfect size for deviled eggs. No awkward half eaten egg in your hands with the filling splooging out.

Personally, I am not a fan of loose fowl. I know they are good for bugs and breaking down manure, but I find them messy, JMHO.
    Originally posted by The Saddle
    Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

Comment

The farm I rent has 7 of them. They cover and peck from about 30 acres area. I have 17 horses on the property and have never found a tick, while friends around me are pulling ticks off their horses daily. Yes they make a difference and are worth it. They get used to you and don't cackle as much. They dart in front of your car, horse, etc, but I've not hit one yet.
      Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
      Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
      & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
      www.frostyoaks.com

Comment

haha they will never stay away from your horses, at least ours never did, but eventually your horses will stop trying to step on them

Comment

Love them and their little yellow tennis shoes! I have peacocks myself but would enjoy guineas too. With the neighborhood being more developed I've resisted so far.

Yes, loose fowl spread manure, eat bugs, and provide entertainment. Some will also chase away snakes! You will get more accustomed to them ...I hardly hear my peacocks though they are gorgeous lawn ornaments! Enjoy them.
          Last edited by birdsong; Jun. 3, 2011, 05:58 PM.
          "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Comment

Guinea hens are very useful, but don't grow too attached to them. While perhaps not actually suicidal they have little or no regard for their own lives. My neighbor accross the street started out with about 18 and within a summer was down to about 5. I haven't seen any this year at all.

I understand that they will "wear out" the tick population and that's a Good Thing.

G.
            Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

Originally posted by mitchfromtimco View Post
              haha they will never stay away from your horses, at least ours never did, but eventually your horses will stop trying to step on them
              That's because horses attract bugs.

They are a great early warning system.

Comment

And keep in mind some horses dont get used to fowl. Do a search on the Hallmark card thread when horses smooched neighbors roosters. Hysterical, if sad for the roos.

Comment

Originally posted by Guilherme View Post
                  Guinea hens are very useful, but don't grow too attached to them. While perhaps not actually suicidal they have little or no regard for their own lives. My neighbor accross the street started out with about 18 and within a summer was down to about 5. I haven't seen any this year at all.
                  G.
                  Absolutely!
                  A dirty little secret - By the time they're all gone, you're actually glad.
                  "We're still right, they're still wrong" James Carville

Comment

Originally posted by Guilherme View Post

I understand that they will "wear out" the tick population and that's a Good Thing.

G.
                    True and true! Really it's not just ticks, it's just bugs. They aren't as good with flies. Flies are fast and their larvae stay well hidden, better territory for chickens. I've seen them gang up on a snake before. It was not pretty for the snake.
                    They are absolutely not in it for the long haul. Moreover, you cannot rely upon them to raise young. It's as if they just forget what they were doing every few minutes. They do get smarter in greater numbers, however, and the thinning is noticeable. My population has been cut in half since last summer, but we have a known coyote problem. Honestly, I don't how these creatures survive in the wild.
                    My ideal small flock size for our 3 1/2 AC farm would be 6-7. It's hard to just get the hens; you'll get a few roosters. For their societal model to work easily, they need more females than males. They do mate long term, some say for life. I have seen a roo woo a hen into his group before, though. Males with no mate are chased relentlessly. Sometimes the male with females who chases the mateless bird, is so distracted, so frequently that another harem-having male steals his girls. They are fascinating critters.
                    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
                    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Comment

They are SOOOO STUPID!!

They get smarter the more you have because they each have ONE brain cell to contribute to the communal brain.

If you can handle the dumb, ie; won't move out of the way of a car they see MULTIPLE times a day dumb, you may just appreciate them.

So dumb!!

LBR
                      I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Comment

Ironically, I had to avoid 3 on the road this morning. They belong to a neighbour and I see them everywhere...except the neighbour's property!

Comment

Originally posted by kinnip View Post
                          Moreover, you cannot rely upon them to raise young.
                          Yes, but don't try to catch the babies! The parents are fiercely protective.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all of the replies.

After watching them for 5 or 6 days this is what I can contribute to the conversation.

Oh. My. God. They are SO DUMB!

Two of them seem to do okay, but the white one (there's one white, one with the typical black/white/spotted coloring and one blue) has to be the dumbest creature I've ever seen. It keeps getting stuck on the wrong side of a no-climb fence. So it will be 10 feet away from the others and suddenly have a complete and total freakout that it can't get to its friends. Note, the fence is about 30 feet long and has space on either end to walk around.....and, oh yeah, it COULD FLY OVER. It usually gets stuck about 2 feet from the gap on one end or the other.

Every morning we're awakened in the 5-6am range by one of the white bird's freakouts. I pray one of the horses decides to take it out. The other two are fine.

I was initially thinking that maybe I was lucky to have the free bug control. But we don't have ticks and the only real issue around here are the skeeters and the flies. Doesn't sound like they're great control for either. We have a pretty big swallow and bat population, so I'm thinking they're still my best bet.

I've decided that my neighbor must have picked up the guinea hens because he hates us.....

Comment

Fences will totally confound a guinea, even if they've flown over the same fence before. We invariably have one or two who get stuck in the goat pen all day, then suddenly when it's time to roost, they figure it out. If it's mosquito and fly control you're after, ducks are great for both.
                              "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
                              http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Comment

Yes, they are suicidal and dumber than dirt. We started out with 5 and we're down to one hen now who had her leg broken when my gelding stepped on her. She still hasn't figured out NOT to bed down in his stall. The scary thing is she is the one lone survivor, which makes her probably the smartest of our original flock of five!
                                She goes out to graze with th horses everyday ( I thinkshe think she's one of the herd). She's amusing and she does eat bugs, so I wouldn't turn down a free flock of five if I were you.

Comment

They are really wonderful if you need to get rid of Japanese beetles.

Comment

Five years ago I started with 7 keets. I am sadly down to 2 hens. I have a fox that is relentless. My 2 males tried to defend their mates and lost their lives. I got them for tick control we have had lymes and ehrlichia, horse, human and dog. They did a great job but it is too sad losing them they do range pretty far.

Riding with them is challenging- they love me and the horses so they fly to us- one horse always freaks. My mare puts her nose down and pushes them out of the way. I am thinking of getting bantams anyone have them?

Comment

The farm where we rent the barn has a small flock of 3 Chilean hens (chickens). 2 hens and the rooster (got beat up by another rooster and missing an eye) ended up being fox food. We found a silkie bantam rooster on Craigslist who is now the leader of the band. Now that he's gotten acclimated to the girls he follows them around. They do a good job of breaking up manure and cleaning up grain from the horses. They will even go into the stalls when a horse is in there to clean up the scraps. We just ordered a box of babies from Texas - got here Friday. 12 of the 16 made it and are in their own protected area until they get much bigger. The chickens are not the brightest bulbs but way smarter than the guinea who ended up as fox food as well. The farm I used to work at had 2 guineas, down from a much larger flock. They like shiny objects and would chase car bumpers. The farm owner used to say that the little thing on the top of their heads contained their brain.

The swallows and bats do an awesome job with the bugs.

Comment

My chickens are gone now, but if I ever get young horses again I will for sure get more.

They are the absolute best way to bombproof a horse.

I used to look out at my herd and they wouldn't stop grazing even when caught in the middle of a chicken squabble. Even when chickens crashed into their sides they kept their cool after becoming used to them...

I just rode in a park and a pheasant exploded right under our feet. My friends horses spooked and whirled and my ARAB simply kept trotting on without a second glance...

Comment

Working...
                                        X